Equifax: can’t log in

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 am

Equifax is still not ready for prime time.

I have a lock at equifax. I keep meticulous passwords and notes in 1Password. I know for sure that I have the correct login info for equifax but equifax says it’s incorrect and will not let me log in. Says it will lock me out of my account after 3 failed attempts. So I tried resetting the password after attempt #2. Equifax recognizes my email and allows me to reset the password after I supply some personal data. Then, it doesn’t let me log in with the new, reset password.

Now I’m locked out. I called tech support. They sent me a new reset password email. I reset again. Still can’t get in. They suggest I wait 24 hrs. Tech inspires zero confidence. More adventures tomorrow, I guess.

:annoyed

Anyone run into this? Advice?

Calico
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by Calico » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:24 am

I ran into this too a few weeks ago when I unfroze my credit so I could open a low balance card with my teen daughter as an authorized user (I wanted her to have an emergency credit card for an overseas trip she's taking next year but I didn't want her on my card with the $10k limit).

Anyway, Equifax kept telling me my password was wrong when it wasn't. I just kept trying (first on my phone and then later on my computer) and I somehow managed to log in an unfreeze. I can't help you recreate what I did because I don't remember, but I wanted to at least let you know yes, I was in the same boat and I did somehow manage to get in.

It was weird because the other two were so easy to unfreeze (smooth as silk) but Equifax was problematic.

User avatar
Tycoon
Posts: 1500
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by Tycoon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am

I had this exact problem two days ago. I ended up calling the support number and was told to wait 24 to 48 hours after changing the password to log in. I haven't tried again yet.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. I see the world as it is; not how I wish it to be.

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am

Calico wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:24 am
I ran into this too a few weeks ago when I unfroze my credit so I could open a low balance card with my teen daughter as an authorized user (I wanted her to have an emergency credit card for an overseas trip she's taking next year but I didn't want her on my card with the $10k limit).

Anyway, Equifax kept telling me my password was wrong when it wasn't. I just kept trying (first on my phone and then later on my computer) and I somehow managed to log in an unfreeze. I can't help you recreate what I did because I don't remember, but I wanted to at least let you know yes, I was in the same boat and I did somehow manage to get in.

It was weird because the other two were so easy to unfreeze (smooth as silk) but Equifax was problematic.
Thanks for the feedback 🙏🏼 . Misery loves company. :D

I’m glad it worked out for you. I will keep trying after 24 hr. wait but I’m concerned that they’re so incompetent that when I try to unfreeze for something important, I’ll be locked out and get in the spin cycle.

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:30 am

Tycoon wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am
I had this exact problem two days ago. I ended up calling the support number and was told to wait 24 to 48 hours after changing the password to log in. I haven't tried again yet.
Appreciate the feedback. Maybe we can figure it out amongst ourselves if enough people have been through it. I don’t think equifax has the foggiest notion of the problem or a solution.

User avatar
Tycoon
Posts: 1500
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by Tycoon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 am

3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:30 am
Tycoon wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am
I had this exact problem two days ago. I ended up calling the support number and was told to wait 24 to 48 hours after changing the password to log in. I haven't tried again yet.
Appreciate the feedback. Maybe we can figure it out amongst ourselves if enough people have been through it. I don’t think equifax has the foggiest notion of the problem or a solution.
No problem. However, I just tried to log in (it's been 72 hours) and it won't let me in. Same message as before.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. I see the world as it is; not how I wish it to be.

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 am

Tycoon wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 am
3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:30 am
Tycoon wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am
I had this exact problem two days ago. I ended up calling the support number and was told to wait 24 to 48 hours after changing the password to log in. I haven't tried again yet.
Appreciate the feedback. Maybe we can figure it out amongst ourselves if enough people have been through it. I don’t think equifax has the foggiest notion of the problem or a solution.
No problem. However, I just tried to log in (it's been 72 hours) and it won't let me in. Same message as before.
Yes, I understand. I will try again in 24 and report back as well. Fingers crossed.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 2922
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:46 am

I was able to log into my Equifax credit freeze/unfreeze site just now.

But, I did have difficulty setting up the account, much more hassle than when I set up the accounts at Transunion and Experion.

Their site appears to be very buggy, for sure. :annoyed

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:16 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:46 am
I was able to log into my Equifax credit freeze/unfreeze site just now.

But, I did have difficulty setting up the account, much more hassle than when I set up the accounts at Transunion and Experion.

Their site appears to be very buggy, for sure. :annoyed

Broken Man 1999
Thank you, Broken Man. If I may ask, did you just set up the account login (not simply a PIN) or had you previously done so? In my case, I started with just the PIN back when they got hacked. Then they instituted logins and I was able to set up my account without issues. Now many months later, I went to lift a freeze temporarily and I ran into this problem. Just trying to see if I can spot a pattern. I think I will try a different computer and/or browser tomorrow.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 2922
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:27 am

3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:16 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:46 am
I was able to log into my Equifax credit freeze/unfreeze site just now.

But, I did have difficulty setting up the account, much more hassle than when I set up the accounts at Transunion and Experion.

Their site appears to be very buggy, for sure. :annoyed

Broken Man 1999
Thank you, Broken Man. If I may ask, did you just set up the account login (not simply a PIN) or had you previously done so? In my case, I started with just the PIN back when they got hacked. Then they instituted logins and I was able to set up my account without issues. Now many months later, I went to lift a freeze temporarily and I ran into this problem. Just trying to see if I can spot a pattern. I think I will try a different computer and/or browser tomorrow.
I set up a new account to just freeze/unfreeze at Equifax. I had also had an account that was part of their data breech offering, but that freebie had run out of free for me.

I have the freeze/unfreeze option on all three of the big credit reporting companies.

I have so many credit cards that offer various credit scores, and adding in Credit Karma, I don't really need anything except the free reports, and the ability to freeze/unfreeze my reports.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

User avatar
beyou
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by beyou » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:39 am

Before applying for a credit card, google to find out which credit reporting bureau they use.
If it's equifax, pick a different issuing bank. Then you never have to login to Equifax site again to unfreeze !

I think they really don't want to allow you to unfreeze so unless you jump through many hoops (phone calls to customer service)
then you are not going to be able to easily freeze/unfreeze online. They are the worst of the big 3, so bad it can't be an accident.

investor4life
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by investor4life » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:59 am

3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 am
Equifax is still not ready for prime time.

I have a lock at equifax. I keep meticulous passwords and notes in 1Password. I know for sure that I have the correct login info for equifax but equifax says it’s incorrect and will not let me log in. Says it will lock me out of my account after 3 failed attempts. So I tried resetting the password after attempt #2. Equifax recognizes my email and allows me to reset the password after I supply some personal data. Then, it doesn’t let me log in with the new, reset password.

Now I’m locked out. I called tech support. They sent me a new reset password email. I reset again. Still can’t get in. They suggest I wait 24 hrs. Tech inspires zero confidence. More adventures tomorrow, I guess.

:annoyed

Anyone run into this? Advice?
It has been a nightmare. I posted about this a couple weeks ago (viewtopic.php?t=283344). I was finally able to log back in after ensuring that my password had no repeating characters (see the final post at the above thread for more info.)

DW then tried to set up her account. Everything went well until the final step, when she was presented with some challenge questions (for which all the answers were obviously "none of the above" or some such) and she's now locked out. We've had to send in additional documentation via snail mail now :annoyed

Has anyone had luck using the PIN they had created (around the time of the Equifax breach) to do a freeze/thaw via phone?

User avatar
beyou
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by beyou » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:56 pm

They told me they stopped using the PIN and it was no longer valid.
Similar experience for me, different members of the family all had to call and all had different experiences in how quickly they could setup a new web based account. My adult kids had to send in documentation and wait weeks. I had to call many times and be passed around. For some reason wife had to call but they got things working quickly. 1 out of 4 went smoothly, good enough batting average for the MLB !

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:02 pm

investor4life wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:59 am
3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 am
Equifax is still not ready for prime time.

I have a lock at equifax. I keep meticulous passwords and notes in 1Password. I know for sure that I have the correct login info for equifax but equifax says it’s incorrect and will not let me log in. Says it will lock me out of my account after 3 failed attempts. So I tried resetting the password after attempt #2. Equifax recognizes my email and allows me to reset the password after I supply some personal data. Then, it doesn’t let me log in with the new, reset password.

Now I’m locked out. I called tech support. They sent me a new reset password email. I reset again. Still can’t get in. They suggest I wait 24 hrs. Tech inspires zero confidence. More adventures tomorrow, I guess.

:annoyed

Anyone run into this? Advice?
It has been a nightmare. I posted about this a couple weeks ago (viewtopic.php?t=283344). I was finally able to log back in after ensuring that my password had no repeating characters (see the final post at the above thread for more info.)

DW then tried to set up her account. Everything went well until the final step, when she was presented with some challenge questions (for which all the answers were obviously "none of the above" or some such) and she's now locked out. We've had to send in additional documentation via snail mail now :annoyed

Has anyone had luck using the PIN they had created (around the time of the Equifax breach) to do a freeze/thaw via phone?
This is awesome info! My password does indeed, have 2 consecutive characters and I did get all green (go) checkmarks when I tried to use it. My reset password was similar and it also had 2 consecutive characters. I will attempt with a different password tomorrow and report back.

1rl9DS5gl2
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 1rl9DS5gl2 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:41 pm

I have had this problem repeatedly and spent several hours with multiple "customer service" agents trying unsuccessfully to resolve it. It's right out of Kafka or, perhaps Catch 22, because while they will tell you that something is not agreeing with the information they have, they generally won't tell you what it is so you can't correct it. The net result is that I am effectively unable to secure new credit because I can't unfreeze my Equifax report. Thankfully, I don't have an immediate need for additional credit but if I did, my head would have exploded a long time ago. The bottom line for me is that I froze my credit reports in response to Equifax's mishandling of our data and, while no one there has paid a price for their incompetence,each Forum poster here has. And Equifax simply doesn't care. I am so frustrated by their arrogance and disdain that I have filed a complaint with the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. I encourage you to do the same. P.S.-------Equifax has not as yet responded to my complaint although they have had it for over a week.

FireAway
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by FireAway » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm

Equifax is a joke and a nightmare. I spent 2 hours on the phone with them yesterday just trying to get my identity verified so they could talk to me. All the info they have about me seems to be incorrect, so the answer to just about every question is 'none of the above'. They ask me how much my monthly payment is on credit cards when I never have a balance. They insisted I supply details of a mortgage which I paid off 10 years ago, and when I couldn't answer, or find my records, they said there was no workaround.
I can't get an online account: when I tried yesterday, it just said 'contact our customer care', and customer care said to wait 24 hours and try again. Today, 24 hours later, I have the same issue/message, and customer care, again, says "wait 24 hours and try again".
I haven't had any such issues at the other 2 agencies.
I want to get a credit report and freeze my credit at equifax, but I will NEVER pay a dime for any of their services.

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

UPDATE (spoke to equifax) ➡️ Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:03 am

After 24+ hours, I tried resetting my password. I used a more simplified password to test and removed any repeating characters. I also attempted log in from a different computer. Same results. Allows me to reset password, blocks me when I try to log in because it doesn’t recognize password.

So I called and instead of saying I have a problem logging in, I instead asked, “are you aware that your website is experiencing problems with attempts to log in?”

CS immediately acknowledged and did not ask me for my personal account info or identify verification (spoke in general terms about website-wide issues). She said they are working on it and hope to have it fixed in 24 hours but the impression I get is that they haven’t figured it out and that IT is telling CS to tell callers “try again in 24 hours” until it’s fixed.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 9062
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:16 am

Ah, thanks for posting. I was trying to thaw my freezes, and (like you) have a password manager so I know it wasn’t my fault. I thawed TransUnion and Experian, and told the company that I had no luck with Equifax. Not a problem, but I was curious.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Yankuba
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:45 am

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by Yankuba » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:32 am

In early June I attempted to log into Equifax to thaw my credit and the site rejected my password. I called customer support and they said it was a known issue and they could thaw my credit if I answered their questions re: my credit profile. I didn't get enough answers correct so they rejected me. They told me that if I had the PIN I could thaw my credit using the automated phone system, so I did that.

I called back the next day because they said the glitch would be fixed the next day and the site still wouldn't accept my password. I spoke to customer service and they told me to make a new account because they didn't have a record of me (despite me having my user name and password written down on a piece of paper). I did that and was able to access my profile online.

Crazy that it is 3 weeks later and they haven't fixed it.

Yankuba
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:45 am

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by Yankuba » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:34 am

1rl9DS5gl2 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:41 pm
I have had this problem repeatedly and spent several hours with multiple "customer service" agents trying unsuccessfully to resolve it. It's right out of Kafka or, perhaps Catch 22, because while they will tell you that something is not agreeing with the information they have, they generally won't tell you what it is so you can't correct it. The net result is that I am effectively unable to secure new credit because I can't unfreeze my Equifax report. Thankfully, I don't have an immediate need for additional credit but if I did, my head would have exploded a long time ago. The bottom line for me is that I froze my credit reports in response to Equifax's mishandling of our data and, while no one there has paid a price for their incompetence,each Forum poster here has. And Equifax simply doesn't care. I am so frustrated by their arrogance and disdain that I have filed a complaint with the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. I encourage you to do the same. P.S.-------Equifax has not as yet responded to my complaint although they have had it for over a week.
If you have the PIN you can unfreeze your credit using their automated hotline. I did it. See below:

https://help.equifax.com/s/article/How- ... ity-freeze

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:01 pm

Yankuba wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:34 am
1rl9DS5gl2 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:41 pm
I have had this problem repeatedly and spent several hours with multiple "customer service" agents trying unsuccessfully to resolve it. It's right out of Kafka or, perhaps Catch 22, because while they will tell you that something is not agreeing with the information they have, they generally won't tell you what it is so you can't correct it. The net result is that I am effectively unable to secure new credit because I can't unfreeze my Equifax report. Thankfully, I don't have an immediate need for additional credit but if I did, my head would have exploded a long time ago. The bottom line for me is that I froze my credit reports in response to Equifax's mishandling of our data and, while no one there has paid a price for their incompetence,each Forum poster here has. And Equifax simply doesn't care. I am so frustrated by their arrogance and disdain that I have filed a complaint with the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. I encourage you to do the same. P.S.-------Equifax has not as yet responded to my complaint although they have had it for over a week.
If you have the PIN you can unfreeze your credit using their automated hotline. I did it. See below:

https://help.equifax.com/s/article/How- ... ity-freeze
Ah! Thanks! I just did this. Pretty old skool but it worked flawlessly. I will keep this info in my password manager notes—where I keep my PIN.

:sharebeer

Edit: I have no idea why the cs didn’t mention this during either call. Bogleheads beats talking directly to bank, credit agency, etc. :D

rtt22
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by rtt22 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm

What address do you use to access Equifax? I use https://lockandalert.equifax.com/member-center/portal/ and don't have a problem logging.

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:07 pm

rtt22 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm
What address do you use to access Equifax? I use https://lockandalert.equifax.com/member-center/portal/ and don't have a problem logging.
https://my.equifax.com/membercenter/#/login

This is off their main website. I don’t have a paid account (monitoring and so on). Only freeze/unfreeze.

Considering all these hassles, I’ll just use the phone number/PIN method until they get their act together.

rj342
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by rj342 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:31 pm

investor4life wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:59 am
...
DW then tried to set up her account. Everything went well until the final step, when she was presented with some challenge questions (for which all the answers were obviously "none of the above" or some such) and she's now locked out. We've had to send in additional documentation via snail mail now :annoyed
...
I ran into that.

Sending paper copies of vital identity info in to them thru regular mail like they require is simply insane.

Secure web site, upload cell phone photos of docs. Get with it people.

rtt22
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by rtt22 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:46 pm

3-20Characters wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:07 pm
rtt22 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm
What address do you use to access Equifax? I use https://lockandalert.equifax.com/member-center/portal/ and don't have a problem logging.
https://my.equifax.com/membercenter/#/login

This is off their main website. I don’t have a paid account (monitoring and so on). Only freeze/unfreeze.

Considering all these hassles, I’ll just use the phone number/PIN method until they get their act together.
Equifax "Lock and Alert" is also free; I like its simple user interface.

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:49 pm

rtt22 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:46 pm
3-20Characters wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:07 pm
rtt22 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm
What address do you use to access Equifax? I use https://lockandalert.equifax.com/member-center/portal/ and don't have a problem logging.
https://my.equifax.com/membercenter/#/login

This is off their main website. I don’t have a paid account (monitoring and so on). Only freeze/unfreeze.

Considering all these hassles, I’ll just use the phone number/PIN method until they get their act together.
Equifax "Lock and Alert" is also free; I like its simple user interface.
Thanks! I will make a note and check it out next time I need to lift freeze.

RetiredAL
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by RetiredAL » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:27 pm

investor4life wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:59 am

DW then tried to set up her account. Everything went well until the final step, when she was presented with some challenge questions (for which all the answers were obviously "none of the above" or some such) and she's now locked out. We've had to send in additional documentation via snail mail now :annoyed
I have similar issues with checking my Annual Credit Report with 2 of the big 3. I pass all the challenge questions, yet they say they can't validate me. But they still offer me their paid subscription service on-line.

It appears these two C/B's are freaking out due to multiple property addresses. You see, besides my house ( DW and I via our Trust ), I am the acting Trustee for my Dad's Trust ( he is alive and can fire me ) with 2 properties, thus they can't determine my address. To solve, they want me to send in all kinds of proof as to who I am. Well I refuse to do so. They are ones one with their heads stuck. If I find a real issue with someone having poor report on me, then I may be forced to do so. Between the one good reporting C/B and my readily available real FICA score which shows as excellent, I'm not overly worried.

1rl9DS5gl2
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 1rl9DS5gl2 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks so much to those posters who gave the automated 800 # for unfreezing the credit report. It took 3 attempts but I was finally able to get it done. I'm really grateful to you. Much appreciated.

rtt22
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by rtt22 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:57 am

What is the automated 800 # for unfreezing the credit report? Thanks.

User avatar
Duckie
Posts: 6708
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:55 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by Duckie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:58 pm

rtt22 wrote:What is the automated 800 # for unfreezing the credit report?
800-349-9960

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:28 pm

rtt22 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm
What address do you use to access Equifax? I use https://lockandalert.equifax.com/member-center/portal/ and don't have a problem logging.
I tried this after waiting for my account to unlock from previous failed attempts. Same problem. Also, can’t get password reset emailed to me from here because this part of their website doesn’t even recognize my email. Maybe equifax hired another music major to run their IT. No offense to music majors.

Luckily they have the 800 number + PIN. Hope they don’t mess that up as well.

CFIT
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by CFIT » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:13 pm

I have been trying to log in to myequifax.com for a week now. Something is seriously wrong with the system.

I use a local password vault and have a complex password which I have not changed since I set it. On 7/17, I used that pw and my email address three times attempting to log into my account, then was locked out. The next day I called the support line and surmounted some communication difficulties to get a password reset link. I used the link and provided my new pw which was accepted by the system. The support person told me wait 24 hours since my account had been locked, but when I tried the credentials were rejected. Since then it has been wash/rinse/repeat: locked out, account reset, wait 24 hours, same thing. Yesterday they told me that they are having system problems to to try again in, you guessed it, 24 hours. Some results this morning.

Each time the support person asks why I want to access the account, and offers to unlock it for me. In reality, I want to unlock it so that I can change Internet providers, but my trust of Equifax is so non-existent that I don't believe that they would so easily agree to lock it later. I just tell them that I want to lock/unlock on my own. What a mess.

FactualFran
Posts: 865
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by FactualFran » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:37 pm

FireAway wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm
Equifax is a joke and a nightmare. I spent 2 hours on the phone with them yesterday just trying to get my identity verified so they could talk to me. All the info they have about me seems to be incorrect, so the answer to just about every question is 'none of the above'.
I have had similar experiences (asked multiple choice questions for which all the correct answers were "none of the above") starting a few years ago when going through https://www.annualcreditreport.com to get a credit report from Equifax. I had been able to get a free annual credit report for years from Equifax before the problem started.

I reported the problem, but the response was to request a paper copy by mail.

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:45 pm

CFIT wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:13 pm
I have been trying to log in to myequifax.com for a week now. Something is seriously wrong with the system.

I use a local password vault and have a complex password which I have not changed since I set it. On 7/17, I used that pw and my email address three times attempting to log into my account, then was locked out. The next day I called the support line and surmounted some communication difficulties to get a password reset link. I used the link and provided my new pw which was accepted by the system. The support person told me wait 24 hours since my account had been locked, but when I tried the credentials were rejected. Since then it has been wash/rinse/repeat: locked out, account reset, wait 24 hours, same thing. Yesterday they told me that they are having system problems to to try again in, you guessed it, 24 hours. Some results this morning.

Each time the support person asks why I want to access the account, and offers to unlock it for me. In reality, I want to unlock it so that I can change Internet providers, but my trust of Equifax is so non-existent that I don't believe that they would so easily agree to lock it later. I just tell them that I want to lock/unlock on my own. What a mess.
If you have a PIN, use the phone number (automated). Equifax website IT is bush league. Thank goodness I have PIN or I don’t know what I’d do about unlocking. Doesn’t make for confidence.

CFIT
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by CFIT » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:42 pm

That is hopeful about the PIN, since I still have mine. Can you tell me how I can use it to unfreeze my credit? That would be a major help!

Thanks

CFIT
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by CFIT » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:41 pm

Oh, I found the number: (800) 349-9960. The automated system was confused when I entered my PIN though, and treated it as multiple attempts to enter a PIN and, yep, locked my account. Gave up, called the tech support number, and had them unfreeze my credit for the date range I needed. The rep said that they were still having system problems with the website.

Topic Author
3-20Characters
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:17 pm

CFIT wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:41 pm
Oh, I found the number: (800) 349-9960. The automated system was confused when I entered my PIN though, and treated it as multiple attempts to enter a PIN and, yep, locked my account. Gave up, called the tech support number, and had them unfreeze my credit for the date range I needed. The rep said that they were still having system problems with the website.
[/quot]

Glad you worked it out. That is indeed, the same number I called. I worked my way through the laborious process of answering questions with great care and got the job done without getting locked out of my account or talking to a human. Perhaps I was lucky.

The inconsistency of equifax’s systems are truly frightening considering they are holding our information and credit reporting hostage. I have zero confidence that they will fix this in the near future.

Post Reply