Triage in ER - charged $790

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
pivoprussia

Triage in ER - charged $790

Post by pivoprussia »

Went to the ER due to nausea and vomiting. By the time I arrived I started to feel a bit better already. Vomiting had stopped. Nurse checked me in and took my BP and pulse ox. On the way to a room I asked to use the restroom. At this point I realized I really didn't need any treatment. I went to the room but no one was there. The nurses station was empty. So, I left. In hindsight I should have told the check in I was leaving but I didn't.

Today I received a bill for $790. They are claiming a level 2 ER visit when the only services rendered was the triage bp/pulse ox.

I used a minimum of services which I would certainly be willing to pay a reasonable fee for said services. But an RN measuring my BP and pulse ox should never cost $790.

I contacted their billing dept. Oh boy attitude. I did tell them to audit the charge and was referred to patient services.

Any suggestions on how to approach this beyond the self "audit"?

Needless to say I am disgusted to think they can legally charge $790.

Thanks for any suggestions.
stan1

Re: Triage in ER - charged $790

Post by stan1 »

Do you have insurance?
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I had a nasty 911 and EMS ride to the ER and full workup, no admitting, a few years ago.
The bill was horrendous. Every charge accounted for down to the tiniest service and product.
Insurance paid a good bit, but my end was still pretty hefty.

When you walk into the ER, you are paying for them to handle everything and anything that could happen to you.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Did the OP get charged for the 3 hour searching for a missing patient in the building?

I'd like to write that I went to the E.R. for a comminuted fracture. Anybody could see that it was bad. I had an X-ray which was shown to me not by the doctor, but by the X-ray tech because it was so cool. Then I sat for 7 hours. At that point, since I was pretty sure that no arteries had been severed, I told the staff at the desk that I was leaving and that I was not going to pay anything.

I never received a bill and never had the visit show up on my health insurance. Nevertheless, the surgery a couple days later was awesomely expensive.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
pivoprussia

Post by pivoprussia »

Yes, but it is high deductible and therefore I will pay 100%.

I did contact the insurance carrier but they just call the billing dept who is trained to be nasty.

I never had a lab test, treatment or saw a provider beyond the initial basic triage vitals: no blood, no urine, no glucose etc.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Certainly if you had gone to a clinic or your regular PCP it would be outrageous to be charged $790 for triage including bp and pulse ox. But, of course, the problem is that you didn't step into a clinic or PCP office. You stepped into a place ready, willing, and able to treat you if your N/V were caused by a heart attack, acute liver failure, ketoacidosis, or any number of other serious issues. Thankfully, it seems you had a garden variety issue that spontaneously resolved. But all those emergency personnel and all that fancy equipment just waiting for you to show up are expensive, and the money to pay for it comes from the people who walk in the ED door. Thankfully you were "cured" by a simple BP and pulse ox measurement. :happy
Semper Augustus

Post by 123 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:09 pm ...When you walk into the ER, you are paying for them to handle everything and anything that could happen to you.
+1 Today's emergency room services are a bargain when you consider the alternative of them not being available.

If your insurance covered the visit you wouldn't be upset at all. With an HDHP there is a risk of large out-of-pocket outlays due to the high deductible, that's why they call them that. If you've discovered that HDHP doesn't meet your risk tolerance it may be time to change your plan at the next opportunity.
Last edited by 123 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
bankle

Post by bankle »

stan1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:04 pm Do you have insurance?

When you say "triage", I presume they asked you some questions (and were visually assessing you) in addition to the bp, etc. In order to triage you.

The ER route is always an expensive proposition, even with insurance. I would guess that "just" triage starts the dominoes falling - staff and facilities-wise. The cost/time/staff to assess you, get you in the system, prep a room, expendables like thermometer covers, all inflated! And then to process you out of the system, maybe even CYA stuff the hospital is required to legally do because you disappeared. Hopefully a medical BH can add some clarity for you.

There was a recent thread about getting charged for an ER doc exam, when the doc never touched the patient.

I think most of us have had the reaction, "They charged WHAT for THAT!?!"

Perhaps, for next time, check out some urgent care clinics nearby, they may provide an idea of pricing in advance (?)
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Most of that is really just the “cover charge” for walking into the ER.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

pivoprussia wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:59 pm Went to the ER due to nausea and vomiting. By the time I arrived I started to feel a bit better already. Vomiting had stopped. Nurse checked me in and took my BP and pulse ox. On the way to a room I asked to use the restroom. At this point I realized I really didn't need any treatment. I went to the room but no one was there. The nurses station was empty. So, I left. In hindsight I should have told the check in I was leaving but I didn't.

Today I received a bill for $790. They are claiming a level 2 ER visit when the only services rendered was the triage bp/pulse ox.

I used a minimum of services which I would certainly be willing to pay a reasonable fee for said services. But an RN measuring my BP and pulse ox should never cost $790.

I contacted their billing dept. Oh boy attitude. I did tell them to audit the charge and was referred to patient services.

Any suggestions on how to approach this beyond the self "audit"?

Needless to say I am disgusted to think they can legally charge $790.

Thanks for any suggestions.
That's nothing.

My wife received a $2,400 bill to put a bandaid on a cut. That was already egregious if it wasn't for the fact that she got cut at the hospital and she got the bandaid and applied it to herself.

The only reason she got the bill was because it's a workers comp issue and she had to fill out paperwork. The overzealous billing department sent her a bill in error. It was waived, but $2,400? That's just ridiculous.

You pay for having a bunch a highly specialized people available to you 24/7, not the actual services provided.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

It costs money to keep the ER staffed and up and running. I would assume $790 is a minimal charge for showing up. I would pay it and move on.
I wonder how long the room you took was being held until they realized you left and they released it for some other poor soul.
You are on your way toward that high deductible.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

In my brief time working at a hospital between jobs at stock exchanges, I learned that in Connecticut, if a patient leaves "AMA" (against medical advice) or just leaves, insurance pays -0-, which may not then be applied to the patient's deductible.

Just an FYI.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
bayview

Post by bayview »

They can't charge you for a level 2 (or level 1) ED visit. You weren't seen by a physician/ NP/ PA. "Just nurses" can't code 9928x visits. The only E/M code that a nurse can use is 99211 for an established outpatient office visit.

Call the hospital compliance officer and ask for a review of the notes. If the physician didn't see you, but entered a note summarizing the situation, they can't bill a level 2.

99282 (ED visit; expanded problem-focused history and exam with low complexity of medical decision-making)

It would be a reach to say that the physician could have included the vitals in the note, but vitals alone don't meet expanded problem-focused exam:
Expanded Problem Focused – a limited examination of the affected body area or organ system and other symptomatic or related organ system(s).

No one poked at your abdomen, right?
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
DecumulatorDoc

Post by DecumulatorDoc »

pivoprussia wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:59 pm Went to the ER due to nausea and vomiting. By the time I arrived I started to feel a bit better already. Vomiting had stopped. Nurse checked me in and took my BP and pulse ox. On the way to a room I asked to use the restroom. At this point I realized I really didn't need any treatment. I went to the room but no one was there. The nurses station was empty. So, I left. In hindsight I should have told the check in I was leaving but I didn't.

Pay it. Your story is just too bizarre, and quite frankly unbelievable. Who does that? How would you expect to run a hospital with people just sneaking off AMA without discussing with anyone.
psy1

Post by psy1 »

Before escalating to compliance officers, you might instead see if the hospital has a complaint department or patient satisfaction laiason, detailing the coding information as outlined above. You can cc: the compliance department. Tell them you are paying cash and ask for an adjustment. You should get satisfaction, especially if emphasizing you never spoke to a physician or other healthcare provider.
scubadiver

Post by scubadiver »

Pay it and move on.

Scubadiver
BSBHead

Post by BSBHead »

You need to pay it and move on with your life.

ER clinicians have zero information about you and don't know if you are even telling them anything with accuracy, so yes, they need to confirm you aren't going to die. What if you left before seeing them and died later - might that have been worse than paying $790?
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Another vote for pay it and move on.

You made a mistake by going.

You made another mistake by leaving without trying to deal with the bill then and just hoping for the best.

After leaving, you sealed your fate with respect to the bill.

JT
bayview

Post by bayview »

BSBHead wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:35 pm You need to pay it and move on with your life.

ER clinicians have zero information about you and don't know if you are even telling them anything with accuracy, so yes, they need to confirm you aren't going to die. What if you left before seeing them and died later - might that have been worse than paying $790?
OP never saw the physician, only the triage nurse.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
O2sats

Post by O2sats »

So you showed up to an Emergency room with trained personnel waiting to treat your emergency, took a patients hospital bed in said emergency room, diagnosed yourself that you weren't having an emergency and left without telling anyone. And now you don't want to pay for that service?
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

mrspock wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:31 pm Boy stories like this make me think.... but the rational side of me says: pay the bill and move on. America has such a supremely low tax rate for those who live from investing you come out way ahead.

For those pulling 100k per year in investing, you could get dinged by 20k per year in medical bills and still not even reach the taxation of other countries with universal health care.

Pay and smile all the way to the bank.
I’m not saying this isn’t true. I’m just wondering how you are calculating it. 20k is a lot of cheddar.

To the OP. You make a decision to walk into the ER it’s going to be expensive. $800 is relatively cheap.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Insurance paying nothing when the patient leaves ama is an urban myth.
From a Chicago Tribune article
Of the 453 insured patients who left AMA, payment was initially denied in only 18 cases. All of those cases involved problems with the bill, not with the patient's behavior. None of those patients were denied coverage for leaving against doctors' orders.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Contract

Definition

An agreement between private parties creating mutual obligations enforceable by law. The basic elements required for the agreement to be a legally enforceable contract are: mutual assent, expressed by a valid offer and acceptance; adequate consideration; capacity; and legality.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz »

I would complain to the CEO with a copy to the state department of health and look to see if your local newspaper looks into these types of stories. I would also ask them to justify the coding based upon your complaints and vital signs since it sounds more like a lower level rather than level 2 since it is a facility fee that they are billing you for.
Last edited by drzzzzz on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

A vote for do not pay it. Let them threaten you with collections and "ruining your credit". Enough people pay nothing for ER care that they can write your bill off on their taxes (part of the reason it's artificially inflated).

Continue to be a BH and put yourself in a position where you finance little to nothing.
leeks

Post by leeks »

bottlecap wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 pm Another vote for pay it and move on.

You made another mistake by leaving without trying to deal with the bill then and just hoping for the best.

JT
We have no reason to say the OP made a mistake by going to the ER. Thankfully it was not something that needed treatment, but OP obviously didn't know that at the time. Without needing any further details, let's just assume it was reasonable to head to ER. An urgent care facility may have been more appropriate - or at least cheaper - but we do not know that it was a viable option in terms of location/hours.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

bottlecap wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 pm After leaving, you sealed your fate with respect to the bill.

He who has the money has the power.

If $800 is cheap, let the hospital sue him at county. I doubt the hospital's general counsel is going to see much gain in taking an $800 bill to court in the grand scheme of things. I could be wrong. $800 is cheap in the grand scheme of "I just got hosed by the hospital" dept.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

$790 for a minimal ER visit is a bargain, it could easily be several times that. If it makes you feel better I pay more than that just for unsubsidized HDHP insurance every month.

Being mindful of forum rules about diagnosing medical issues I'll just suggest that you consider using other providers such as primary or urgent care if your symptoms allow.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

psy1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:14 pm Before escalating to compliance officers, you might instead see if the hospital has a complaint department or patient satisfaction laiason, detailing the coding information as outlined above. You can cc: the compliance department. Tell them you are paying cash and ask for an adjustment. You should get satisfaction, especially if emphasizing you never spoke to a physician or other healthcare provider.

+1

There is nothing wrong with complaining. Hospitals, sort of like car dealerships, are being directed in a way where they have to take complaints seriously b/c otherwise their reimbursement rates will drop. CMMS (medicare!) has some of the most asinine policies about patient billing from hospital and group practices. It's very dry, however... you can learn pro-tips about who to complain to.
Watty

Post by Watty »

There is a long thread by the well known poster, "White Coat Investor" who is an emergency room doctor which is titled "How to Minimize Your Emergency Care Expenses".

If you have not seen that you should read at least the first post.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=238610
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

pivoprussia wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:59 pmAny suggestions on how to approach this beyond the self "audit"?
Request an itemized statement.

Request a copy of your medical records for this specific visit.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
ny_rn

Post by ny_rn »

You were triaged. You used readily available staff. In the end, you walked out after being triaged without signing out against medical advice (AMA). You're lucky they didn't test your blood sugar or order labs.

Pay it.
IMO

Post by IMO »

123 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:37 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:09 pm ...When you walk into the ER, you are paying for them to handle everything and anything that could happen to you.
+1 Today's emergency room services are a bargain when you consider the alternative of them not being available.

If your insurance covered the visit you wouldn't be upset at all. With an HDHP there is a risk of large out-of-pocket outlays due to the high deductible, that's why they call them that. If you've discovered that HDHP doesn't meet your risk tolerance it may be time to change your plan at the next opportunity.
ER billing is a big scam. You are paying them for the services appropriately rendered for your particular situation.

Recent ER visit bill charged $20,000. Insurance paid $2100 which was a reasonable amount per necessary services rendered, but lets say all in time with patient from ER physician/nurses/support staff was an hour total mostly support staff time.
(Not getting into any details about medical condition/care)

Your $790 bill isn't reasonable for the level of service provided.

My water bill is a bargain if I consider the alternative if no potable water were available.
wootwoot

Post by wootwoot »

Sorry for your trouble OP but that's actually a great price. Many high deductible plans would charge you far more than that for an ER visit.
scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 »

You can request a statement but that is likely a facility fee. As others have said, it's use of room, available equipment/staff, etc. In this situations I highly doubt you were billed by a physician as your fees would have been much higher. You also will probably get less sympathy from the hospital not necessarily because you went AMA, but you did so without telling anyone.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

I'm always curious how posts like this never discuss what a reasonable fee would be, that they would be willing to pay. What is your fee for this? Second, how much do you think it costs a hospital to provide this service 24/7?
buhlaxtus

Post by buhlaxtus »

Pretty cheap for an ER visit. 24/7 staffing of medical experts is no small potatoes.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Helo80 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:10 pm A vote for do not pay it. Let them threaten you with collections and "ruining your credit". Enough people pay nothing for ER care that they can write your bill off on their taxes (part of the reason it's artificially inflated).

Continue to be a BH and put yourself in a position where you finance little to nothing.
I have never seen that definition of a boglehead.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Watty wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:25 pm There is a long thread by the well known poster, "White Coat Investor" who is an emergency room doctor which is titled "How to Minimize Your Emergency Care Expenses".

If you have not seen that you should read at least the first post.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=238610
+1000
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

leeks wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:13 pm
bottlecap wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 pm Another vote for pay it and move on.

JT
We have no reason to say the OP made a mistake by going to the ER. Thankfully it was not something that needed treatment, but OP obviously didn't know that at the time. Without needing any further details, let's just assume it was reasonable to head to ER. An urgent care facility may have been more appropriate - or at least cheaper - but we do not know that it was a viable option in terms of location/hours.
Then pay it.
sambb

Post by sambb »

I recently bought a nonrefundable airline ticket to go on vacation. I went to the airport, checked in, was in line to board. But i decided not to board the plane. Never saw the pilot or flight attendant, only saw the ticket agent. I left the airport. They still charged me $995 for the flight.

I would pay the hospital fee and move on. They had to be prepared to save your life for the time you took up.

Better yet, make enough and save enough so this amount of money is irrelevant to your life.
celia

Post by celia »

The last time I went to a big city ER (at 10pm), some of the waiting patients said they had been waiting 5+ hours. There were no seats available in the waiting room. All were taken but security personnel were getting some of the “daily visitors” to leave. Apparently some of them come in with some complaint every day so they can use the lobby restroom and vending machines, make a mess, then leave without paying for any services.

OP, were you more like one of these ER visitors or were you more like a patient who needed help when you arrived? Pay the bill since hospitals have more expenses than you can imagine.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Helo80 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:13 pm
bottlecap wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 pm After leaving, you sealed your fate with respect to the bill.

He who has the money has the power.

If $800 is cheap, let the hospital sue him at county. I doubt the hospital's general counsel is going to see much gain in taking an $800 bill to court in the grand scheme of things. I could be wrong. $800 is cheap in the grand scheme of "I just got hosed by the hospital" dept.
Geesh. No wonder healthcare is so expensive. Go in, get care, ditch, refuse to pay, tell hospital to sue. If you did that at a restaurant, you'd go to jail. Yet he who has the money has the power...

As a practical matter, look at it this way: Do you think the hospital's General Counsel handles collection matters? Hardly.

Hospital won't sue. An $800 bill is just big enough to send to a collection company, but not so large that the collection company won't buy it. Skipping out might actually increase the chance of going to collection. Maybe not, but even when trying to get a break now, no one is going to feel sorry.

And the billing employee don't care. The collection company don't care. OP will have to worry about it going on his/her credit.

OP used the services and inexplicably snuck out of the hospital. And then somehow expected that the emergency room services wouldn't cost over an unspecified amount.

Pay it and move on. Even if you don't end up having to, would you want to explain to a judge how and why you skipped out and then go on to argue that the bill should be reduced because you didn't get the full benefit of the services provided?

That's some chutzpah.

JT
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

Leaving without even leaving a note? Who knows how long they looked for you to see if you'd collapsed somewhere.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

My Dad was in the ER/hospital this last April, and the ER sub-item alone was $5300. That does not include the attending Doctors, Labs, or CT Scan. All told, $90,000 was billed by the hospital for 3 days, of which Medicare and Tricare combined paid $12,300.

Hospital level medical care is expensive. As I see it, they do tests and treatments in hrs that would take weeks to schedule and complete as an out-patient.

Is major throwing up important? Well, my grandmother died of Typhoid Fever after the local rural doctor said she just had the flu. My grandfather regretted all his life that he had not taken her the 2 hrs to the hospital, as most likely they could have successfully treated her. When the kids then got sick, he did take them to the hospital. She had contacted it somewhere during a multi-day road trip and not well when they arrived home. They ran the local store so several others in small town also got sick, but she was the only death. This was in the 1930's.

Edited to add the year.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

Unless your vomiting session was a facsimile of what happened in the movie Stand By Me, going to the ED for this stuff is inappropriate. They should have charged you triple.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

JonnyDVM wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:47 pm
mrspock wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:31 pm Boy stories like this make me think.... but the rational side of me says: pay the bill and move on. America has such a supremely low tax rate for those who live from investing you come out way ahead.

For those pulling 100k per year in investing, you could get dinged by 20k per year in medical bills and still not even reach the taxation of other countries with universal health care.

Pay and smile all the way to the bank.
I’m not saying this isn’t true. I’m just wondering how you are calculating it. 20k is a lot of cheddar.

To the OP. You make a decision to walk into the ER it’s going to be expensive. $800 is relatively cheap.
So the US has a number of big advantages for investment income vs many countries cited for Universal healthcare:

1. Graduated tax brackets are much wider and do not escalate until much higher incomes. You don’t even get to over 25% till around 100k of taxable income (after standard deduction). Above 28% till $164k!
2. Dividend income tax exclusion, this just doesn’t exist in most jurisdictions.
3. Favorable US dividend tax treatment, many countries have some form of preferential dividend treatment, but it is often limited to home based companies. This compounds when you consider the US equity market is the Lion-share of the global equity market.
4. Above average “standard” income tax deduction, and stackable with #2.
5. Favorable capital gains rules: TLHing, low rates, 0% on first $40k of taxable income
6. Muni-bonds for tax free fixed income... doesn’t exist in most places.
7. States with no income tax whatsoever. Good luck with that elsewhere.
8. Roth/IRA/401k limits which would make folks in other countries just blush. 401k + Roth 401k limits over 50k!!
9. Wonky property tax rules in various jurisdictions which heavily favor long time homeowners, making inflation your best friend.
... I am probably missing a bunch.

You combine a well maxed out Roth 401k/IRA, tax free muni bond income, basic deduction, capital gain tax exclusion on first $40k of gains (good luck even hitting that), low dividend tax rates .... and you pay next to nothing in taxes vs your counterparts in Uni healthcare countries. For me, the comparison provides me an “upper bound” after which moving back home (to Vulcan) is the better choice. But for now.... it’s not even close....not by a long shot.

When I have time, I will start a proper thread with some sample numbers, and maybe other non-US expats can post their comps.
FireHorse

Post by FireHorse »

$790 ER visit is a steal.

Years ago, spouse cleaning the garage and a nail partially went through the finger. We went to the ER, just application fee was 2400, never mind the rest of the cost.
Our insurance was large deductible 5000, it didn't take much to exhaust 5000
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

IMO wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:33 pm
123 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:37 pm

ER billing is a big scam.
Only ER billing?
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

ER is for emergencies and accidents.

If you go with something not serious you will get charged in a similar fashion to a proper emergency.

The lesson is, don’t go to the ER with minor illness, see your primary care doctor