One Medical as Primary Care Provider

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
stan1

One Medical as Primary Care Provider

Post by stan1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:28 pm

I'm curious if anyone is using One Medical as a primary care provider. They are a tech focused concierge service with a $199/year fee which gets same day or next day appointments, greater effort to stay on schedule for appointments, website, and video medicine. I like my current internist but it takes 4-6 weeks to schedule a routine appointment, appointments are too often rescheduled, and the university affiliated medical group she works for is incompetent at billing. She's usually on time for me but I probably cause her to fall behind. I use Epic MyChart and have it linked to Apple Health so I'm not sure what else One Medical's website would offer me.

It is a given I would only work with a physician I was comfortable with, but curious if others have seen benefit with One Medical.

TomatoTomahto

Re: One Medical as Primary Care Provider

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:30 pm

I can’t comment of One Medical, but we switched to a concierge doc last year and are very happy.

ETA: our fees are higher.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:41 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:28 pm
I'm curious if anyone is using One Medical as a primary care provider. They are a tech focused concierge service with a $199/year fee which gets same day or next day appointments, greater effort to stay on schedule for appointments, website, and video medicine. I like my current internist but it takes 4-6 weeks to schedule a routine appointment, appointments are too often rescheduled, and the university affiliated medical group she works for is incompetent at billing. She's usually on time for me but I probably cause her to fall behind. I use Epic MyChart and have it linked to Apple Health so I'm not sure what else One Medical's website would offer me.

It is a given I would only work with a physician I was comfortable with, but curious if others have seen benefit with One Medical.
We get all of these things (and more) with our "regular" Kaiser plan. The "more" includes no charge telephone appointments with PCP, email (free) with all our current physicians.

Topic Author
stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:46 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:41 pm
stan1 wrote:

We get all of these things (and more) with our "regular" Kaiser plan. The "more" includes no charge telephone appointments with PCP, email (free) with all our current physicians.
I agree Kaiser is another option but in my area those services would not be "free" to me because a Kaiser plan offered by my employer would cost me about $800 per year more than the insurance I currently have that meets my needs.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:54 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:46 pm
dm200 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:41 pm
stan1 wrote:
I agree Kaiser is another option but in my area those services would not be "free" to me because a Kaiser plan offered by my employer would cost me about $800 per year more than the insurance I currently have that meets my needs.
"interesting" that Kaiser premiums are more. In general, for employer plans where Kaiser is an option - Kaiser premiums are the same ow lower.

It does not sound like your current coverage meets your needs since you bring up these long delays. $800 per year is only $67 per month. If you chose to pay $199 - that brings the net cost of kaiser to $600 or $50/month. Our experience with Kaiser is that we have a very, very low "hassle factor" with appointments, billing and overall quality of care. My wife and I both make (as best we figure it out) full use of the Kaiser plans - that save both money and hassle -- and improve quality and satisfaction as well.

changingtimes

Post by changingtimes » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:57 pm

I use One Medical. Their app is great for scheduling, though be aware that same day apps aren't necessarily with your primary doctor. Never had an issue with billing or paperwork. I haven't had to use them for any acute illnesses, but it is much better than my old PCP office. And every appt has started on time!

The only drawback is that all of the practitioners at the office I use are about 12 years old. :)

Also, they are big on electronic communication, results and reports sent through the app, etc. Cleaner interface than Epic.

Topic Author
stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:51 pm

changingtimes wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:57 pm
I use One Medical. Their app is great for scheduling, though be aware that same day apps aren't necessarily with your primary doctor. Never had an issue with billing or paperwork. I haven't had to use them for any acute illnesses, but it is much better than my old PCP office. And every appt has started on time!

The only drawback is that all of the practitioners at the office I use are about 12 years old. :)

Also, they are big on electronic communication, results and reports sent through the app, etc. Cleaner interface than Epic.
Thanks, good to know you've had a good experience.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:53 pm

stan1 wrote:

One Medical is a company, not a doctor. Which are you interested in? Are you trusting that this company has somehow vetted this doctor?

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:09 pm

stan1 wrote:

As a physician i caution of this type of value.

Some of my patients probably would do fine. But my diabetic insulin dep patient?
Or my patient w history of cancer?
How about the guy i found had a head bleed or the one who came in for a cold but had severe prolapsed valve on careful examination and is getting surgery?

Not saying this is common but this is my value. I spend 40 minutes w new patients and 20 w established i spend a lot of hours reading up on my patients charts labs and pre existing history from old providers. This is because i care but also i get paid well. In our society in the us getting paid well is strongly associated with how much we value someone. Thats not the same to the same degree elsewhere but here you definitely get what you pay for.

And before someone poo poos me for equating good care with better pay-all too often i see doctors work for the types of places that dont pay as well and the care is simply not at my level. Its a matter of time. If you are paid less for each visit you spend less time w ea patient to make the difference. How can you possibly do better with less?

These places are just fine until theyre not. Paying for good quality care is also a form of insurance. Insrance against bad medicine.

If your current doctor isnt cutting it, the better option is to find a better doctor, not the equivalent poor option.

I strongly suspect these companies like one medicalare inferior because when I applied for jobs i didnt even consider them. The pay was too low. I feel that if physicians are willing to accept lower pay then this choice is due to limited options. I wouldnt want that in my care.

Finally, i caution against suspicion of young doctors. There are a lot of older docs who just dont know the latest medicine. There are also a lot of older docs with a lot of experience that cant be ignored. It all depends on who you see.

My rule of thumb: if your provider sees you for less than 20 minutes (except for same day) then consider a new doctor.
My 2 cents.

Topic Author
stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:28 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:53 pm
stan1 wrote:

One Medical is a company, not a doctor. Which are you interested in? Are you trusting that this company has somehow vetted this doctor?
My question is actually more about what the company offers, value added for the annual fee, and whether it lives up to expectations rather than the physician you are seeing. No way to tell if the physician is a good match long term until I've had a few visits.

rv26

Post by rv26 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:45 pm

I've been with One Medical in Chicago for almost 2 years and the service has been great. The communication is excellent and the staff is very knowledgeable, especially when it come to insurance matters. Scheduling appointments or switching your primary care doctor is as easy as a few clicks in the app or online. You can get same day appointments with you primary care doctor but most of the time it will take 24-48 hours to book. If you want to see any doctor at their office, usually you can get a same day appointment.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:06 am

I was a Kaiser patient for several decades. Kaiser raised rates and changed their co-payment and maximums significantly in my second year of Medicare. So, I decided to try regular Medicare and see if I liked it any better. One Medical was the option I chose for a PCP and I paid the $199.

I got a CD of my records from Kaiser and spent a couple hours reading through the notes and transcribing them for my new doctor. I made an appointment and when I got there, my new (very young) doctor told me that he prefers people have their tests done before seeing him. No one told me this and I showed up without tests (at Kaiser, the tests were always done after my visits). He didn't order any, so I went about 18 months without any blood work at all. This seemed a pretty basic snafu to me, but I went with it. I have no reason to believe that the doctor ever read my report other the the few things I pointed out to him while I was there.

I used other non-One Medical providers for dermatology and Orthopedics and while the experiences were fine, I didn't like finding my own practitioners. When my year at One Medical was finished, I went back to Kaiser and I am much happier with the integrated service I get there.

I only visited One Medical twice the entire year and only saw my assigned PCP the one time described above. I did get my flu shot there and did a blood draw, as well.

I wasn't impressed either by their iPhone app, their staff work, or their physicians.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

Super Hans

Post by Super Hans » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:49 am

My carrier offered me One Medical membership for free, but you get what you pay for. They seem to push para-professionals and the physicians largely trained in family practice rather than internal medicine (which is fine conceptually, but in practice doesn’t attract the top HMS grads). The few with board certification in internal medicine don’t take new patients with few exceptions.

Topic Author
stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:38 am

Super Hans wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:49 am
My carrier offered me One Medical membership for free, but you get what you pay for. They seem to push para-professionals and the physicians largely trained in family practice rather than internal medicine (which is fine conceptually, but in practice doesn’t attract the top HMS grads). The few with board certification in internal medicine don’t take new patients with few exceptions.
Yeah, I did notice that most of the physicians were "not taking new patients" per the website. Thanks.

ram

Post by ram » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:04 pm

I do not know anything about One medical but assume that it is a 'for profit' company.
There is decent money to be made by providing healthcare to commercially insures relatively healthy people. I assume that the extra $199 is supporting the electronic infrastructure and does not add any extra remuneration for the medical providers.

It will be more cost effective for such a company to use less trained lower cost medical professionals to the extent possible ( Nurse practitioners, physician assistants).

Those patients that are relatively healthy and for whom timeliness of appointments and immediate information about tests on apps is of prime importance are appropriate patients for such companies.

These companies usually prefer physicians with a broader set of capabilities. Broader ability usually also means lesser depth of ability in a given field.

A family physician, NP, PA can be swapped when needed and that is important for these companies when the client is trying to make a same day appt.

The real importance of a more thoroughly trained provider is when the patient presents with a more complex health problem. It requires a deeper knowledge base when treatment of disease Y has to be modified from standard treatment because of presence of disease X.

An internal medicine trained physician, with a few years of experience under her belt and preferably somebody who has seen you on multiple prior occasions would likely be of some benefit as compared to a fresh out of school PA seeing you for the first time under such circumstances. If your health care situation resembles this scenario then you should take that into consideration.

The emergence of such models also leads to another issue. If all the easy commercially insured patients are picked up by these companies the traditional medical practice is left with more complex, more medicare/ medicaid patients and has to resort to cost cutting exercises as well.
Ram