Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
afoolwithmoney
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:31 pm

Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by afoolwithmoney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:46 am

We are changing daycares because our 11 month old can't nap at his current one (which is a large one). The people there are nice but they just don't have the personal touch or flexibility to help him out. We found a small family daycare, only 3 infants, and we want to switch to it. Problem is I just saw that we signed an agreement that we give them six (!) weeks notice before leaving. This despite the fact that there's probably a long waiting list and they can fill it immediately. Is there any way to get out of this? We haven't given them a deposit for those 6 weeks or anything. Could we just walk without paying next month's tuition?

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by bengal22 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:47 am

Talk to them.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

renue74
Posts: 1870
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by renue74 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:48 am

Look at your agreement.

It depends also on how large the company is. If a smaller company, they are probably more lenient on this.

User avatar
mhc
Posts: 4143
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: NoCo

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by mhc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:48 am

Have you talked to them? I would try that first. Are there any escape clauses in the agreement?

If you didn't want to live up to the 6 week notice, then you shouldn't have signed it.

HomeStretch
Posts: 4654
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:06 pm

I would explain in a nice way that the daycare is just not a good fit and see what they say. Don’t share which day are you are moving to. If you end up in a disagreement over the 6-week notice, you don’t want the current daycare to share that with the new daycare. The new daycare might be hesitant to take you on.

Does your agreement specify what your monetary obligation to them is in the event you don’t give 6-weeks notice? If it’s their fee for the time your child’s spot is unfilled and there is a long waiting list, perhaps your final payment will be small.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 2103
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by 8foot7 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 pm

As a parent of two nap-challenged children, I very much commiserate with you.

Also important to remember that a renegotiated agreement is not a broken agreement.

I’d sit down with the director at the current place and just be frank. We like it here but X hasn’t napped for weeks and it’s detrimental to his development. We consider giving X, an 11 month old, a consistent nap to be part of the obligations of the daycare, special events notwithstanding, and while everyone here is nice X hasn’t napped in a long time and that’s unacceptable. Our doctor has confirmed that at least one nap a day for X is medically necessary and for whatever reason that just isn't happening here. We have found a place where X is a better fit and can start immediately. Then ask what kind of agreement can we come to on this.

I would not volunteer this but I’d offer after a bit of hemming and hawing to pay the rest of whatever week you have this conversation in as well as the next week whether the child is there or not. I probably would not pay more than that; again I consider giving an 11 month old a nap as a core responsibility that is being unfulfilled, so the agreement has already been breached.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23148
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by dm200 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 pm

renue74 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:48 am
Look at your agreement.
It depends also on how large the company is. If a smaller company, they are probably more lenient on this.
Yes - read the agreement and, probably, talk to them.

No lawyer here - but, while you may have agreed to six week notice, is there any stated fee or penalty stated if you do not do so?

Neither an expert on 11 month olds, but maybe a few more weeks there might not be that bad.

Also, read the next agreement! :oops:

Topic Author
afoolwithmoney
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by afoolwithmoney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 pm
No lawyer here - but, while you may have agreed to six week notice, is there any stated fee or penalty stated if you do not do so?

Neither an expert on 11 month olds, but maybe a few more weeks there might not be that bad.

Also, read the next agreement! :oops:
It says only "If you decide to discontinue our service, you are required to give six weeks notice" but doesn't explicitly say more about what that means, but I assume that means they want the tuition for that time. It does also say that exceptions can be made, so maybe we will try being honest about the nap problem!

I would consider leaving him in for those 6 weeks but daycare is so crazily competitive - there is an opening at a small place near us that will likely be closed in 6 weeks!

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23148
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by dm200 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:14 pm

afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 pm
dm200 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 pm
No lawyer here - but, while you may have agreed to six week notice, is there any stated fee or penalty stated if you do not do so?
Neither an expert on 11 month olds, but maybe a few more weeks there might not be that bad.
Also, read the next agreement! :oops:
It says only "If you decide to discontinue our service, you are required to give six weeks notice" but doesn't explicitly say more about what that means, but I assume that means they want the tuition for that time. It does also say that exceptions can be made, so maybe we will try being honest about the nap problem!

I would consider leaving him in for those 6 weeks but daycare is so crazily competitive - there is an opening at a small place near us that will likely be closed in 6 weeks!
Yes - often the case for good quality and affordable care.

Katietsu
Posts: 3510
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by Katietsu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:21 pm

With no particular penalty listed, you might be in a better position to negotiate. If they do have a long waiting list, I would hope that a compromise of one or two weeks would be satisfactory.

OnTrack2020
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by OnTrack2020 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:24 pm

I'd talk to them, pay them the 6-week period if required, and then go forward with the planned move to the day care you like. If the new day care can get you in in three weeks, then yes, you will have some overlapping costs associated with this, but it may be worth it in the long run.

MikeMak27
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:37 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by MikeMak27 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 pm

Contact your credit card company and say the company charging you is not living up to the services agreed upon. Deny them payment and Cancel your card to get a new one if they do not agree.
Mak 3 fund portfolio: 50% US small cap value & US Small cap (IJS, IJR), 40% Emerging Markets (IEMG, VWO, FPADX), 10% US REIT (VNQ)

Texanbybirth
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:26 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:47 am
Talk to them.
Agreed. Why isn't this the default for most people's problems these days?
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23148
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by dm200 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:43 pm

MikeMak27 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 pm
Contact your credit card company and say the company charging you is not living up to the services agreed upon. Deny them payment and Cancel your card to get a new one if they do not agree.
What??

thx1138
Posts: 1129
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by thx1138 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:07 pm

afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 pm
dm200 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 pm
No lawyer here - but, while you may have agreed to six week notice, is there any stated fee or penalty stated if you do not do so?

Neither an expert on 11 month olds, but maybe a few more weeks there might not be that bad.

Also, read the next agreement! :oops:
It says only "If you decide to discontinue our service, you are required to give six weeks notice" but doesn't explicitly say more about what that means, but I assume that means they want the tuition for that time. It does also say that exceptions can be made, so maybe we will try being honest about the nap problem!

I would consider leaving him in for those 6 weeks but daycare is so crazily competitive - there is an opening at a small place near us that will likely be closed in 6 weeks!
This really sounds like a "talk to them" kind of situation. If they've got people on a waiting list they are likely going to be out a week or two at most if you transfer so likely they aren't viewing this as 6 weeks of lost revenue or something. It is of course in any normal situation polite and reasonable to give a provider a lot of heads up on discontinuing a service when you know in advance. In this case it isn't like you forgot to tell them, or found something with two minutes less of a drive and want to change. It is a bad fit for the child. Explain that to them and I suspect more than likely it will not be an issue.

MichCPA
Posts: 883
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by MichCPA » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:16 pm

MikeMak27 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 pm
Contact your credit card company and say the company charging you is not living up to the services agreed upon. Deny them payment and Cancel your card to get a new one if they do not agree.
1) Nobody said that payment is/could be made by credit card.
2) Merchants can dispute chargebacks, so you would have to prove that the something was wrong with the service.

There is pretty much no way to sustain a chargeback here if you haven't made repeated efforts to work with the facility even IF that is possible. I can pretty much guarantee there isn't a 'right to sleep' in the agreement.

EDIT: Also, the 'cancel the card if they don't agree' thing won't get you out of paying the denied chargeback.
Last edited by MichCPA on Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flyer24
Moderator
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by Flyer24 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:18 pm

MikeMak27 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 pm
Contact your credit card company and say the company charging you is not living up to the services agreed upon. Deny them payment and Cancel your card to get a new one if they do not agree.
I would not go this route. The daycare has done nothing wrong. You would be setting yourself up for legal trouble by denying a payment.

prncrakim
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:53 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by prncrakim » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:50 pm

My family owns two large child care centers.I would want your future word of mouth to be it didn't work for us but i appreciated how they handled the situation. If it is locally owned you'll probably get a flexible response. would you be satisfied if they said you're off the hook as soon as it's filled?

miamivice
Posts: 2224
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by miamivice » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm

afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:46 am
We are changing daycares because our 11 month old can't nap at his current one (which is a large one). The people there are nice but they just don't have the personal touch or flexibility to help him out. We found a small family daycare, only 3 infants, and we want to switch to it. Problem is I just saw that we signed an agreement that we give them six (!) weeks notice before leaving. This despite the fact that there's probably a long waiting list and they can fill it immediately. Is there any way to get out of this? We haven't given them a deposit for those 6 weeks or anything. Could we just walk without paying next month's tuition?
Um, how do you know your child will nap at the small family daycare?

miamivice
Posts: 2224
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by miamivice » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:04 pm

MikeMak27 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 pm
Contact your credit card company and say the company charging you is not living up to the services agreed upon. Deny them payment and Cancel your card to get a new one if they do not agree.
When your credit card company reverses a payment, you still owe the merchant the money. They can take you to small claims court and win. They can also sell your debt and the debt collector can put a ding on your credit report.

Most businesses won't do it, but at 6 weeks of daycare cost, they just might.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23148
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by dm200 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:45 pm

miamivice wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm
afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:46 am
We are changing daycares because our 11 month old can't nap at his current one (which is a large one). The people there are nice but they just don't have the personal touch or flexibility to help him out. We found a small family daycare, only 3 infants, and we want to switch to it. Problem is I just saw that we signed an agreement that we give them six (!) weeks notice before leaving. This despite the fact that there's probably a long waiting list and they can fill it immediately. Is there any way to get out of this? We haven't given them a deposit for those 6 weeks or anything. Could we just walk without paying next month's tuition?

Um, how do you know your child will nap at the small family daycare?
One of my questions as well.

My other question is how the OP "knows" that this child "can't nap". I know, for slightly older children at least, there are great variances in whether or not (and how much) children nap. I know, in my case as a young child, compared to my peers who did nap - I rarely, if ever, took regular naps.

njdealguy
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:15 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by njdealguy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:03 pm

miamivice wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm
afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:46 am
We are changing daycares because our 11 month old can't nap at his current one (which is a large one). The people there are nice but they just don't have the personal touch or flexibility to help him out. We found a small family daycare, only 3 infants, and we want to switch to it. Problem is I just saw that we signed an agreement that we give them six (!) weeks notice before leaving. This despite the fact that there's probably a long waiting list and they can fill it immediately. Is there any way to get out of this? We haven't given them a deposit for those 6 weeks or anything. Could we just walk without paying next month's tuition?
Um, how do you know your child will nap at the small family daycare?
Was wondering the same thing. Also has your 11 month old been in daycare for a long time already? If not think theres a good chance that by continuing for another brief period may finally become used to it and start napping. It happened when we started our child at 7 months old to daycare. Along with other problems like underfeeding/getting sick constantly, got the hang of it it and was much better after the first couple months.

Also now at 19 months old, consistantly takes 2 to 3 hour naps everyday at daycare whereas a a year ago wouldnt sleep more than 30 to 45 minutes a day at most (and sometimes causes a effect of actually eating into the night bedtime where sleeps at a later time than usual if daytime nap was very long).

Topic Author
afoolwithmoney
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by afoolwithmoney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:19 pm

miamivice wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm
Um, how do you know your child will nap at the small family daycare?
No, but he naps very well at home and while traveling. I believe the problem is the big daycare has very strict policies - e.g., they can't let him cry to sleep when he's fussy. I think he needs a little more personal attention. They are just overall weirdly strict about things to the point of defying common sense.

wilked
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by wilked » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:09 pm

afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 pm
dm200 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 pm
No lawyer here - but, while you may have agreed to six week notice, is there any stated fee or penalty stated if you do not do so?

Neither an expert on 11 month olds, but maybe a few more weeks there might not be that bad.

Also, read the next agreement! :oops:
It says only "If you decide to discontinue our service, you are required to give six weeks notice" but doesn't explicitly say more about what that means, but I assume that means they want the tuition for that time. It does also say that exceptions can be made, so maybe we will try being honest about the nap problem!
What a crazy concept...

My guess - you are working yourself up over nothing. You are overdue for being honest with them, maybe you could ya e worked things out without leaving

stoptothink
Posts: 7865
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:53 pm

afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:19 pm
miamivice wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm
Um, how do you know your child will nap at the small family daycare?
No, but he naps very well at home and while traveling. I believe the problem is the big daycare has very strict policies - e.g., they can't let him cry to sleep when he's fussy. I think he needs a little more personal attention. They are just overall weirdly strict about things to the point of defying common sense.
How do you know the new daycare will be different? This sounds like an issue that can be easily solved with a little communication.

smitcat
Posts: 5901
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by smitcat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:58 am

afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:19 pm
miamivice wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm
Um, how do you know your child will nap at the small family daycare?
No, but he naps very well at home and while traveling. I believe the problem is the big daycare has very strict policies - e.g., they can't let him cry to sleep when he's fussy. I think he needs a little more personal attention. They are just overall weirdly strict about things to the point of defying common sense.
You should do whatever makes you more comfortable but the small daycare centers in our area are much less regulated and can be more problematic.
I would really exhaust all of the options before changing based upon your inputs so far.
One example - have you checked your states regulatory website for any potential problems at this small daycare?

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23148
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 am

smitcat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:58 am
afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:19 pm
miamivice wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm
Um, how do you know your child will nap at the small family daycare?
No, but he naps very well at home and while traveling. I believe the problem is the big daycare has very strict policies - e.g., they can't let him cry to sleep when he's fussy. I think he needs a little more personal attention. They are just overall weirdly strict about things to the point of defying common sense.
You should do whatever makes you more comfortable but the small daycare centers in our area are much less regulated and can be more problematic.
I would really exhaust all of the options before changing based upon your inputs so far.
One example - have you checked your states regulatory website for any potential problems at this small daycare?
This is often true. In our jurisdiction, for example, the threshold number of children in home daycare for more regulation was increased quite a bit.

I also believe that parental "surprise" drop-ins - without previous notice - are also a very good idea - no matter the size of the operation.

One, unfortunately not uncommon, situation in smaller, home daycare operations is "help" from the operator's family members - who may not meet reasonable standards for folks caring for children.

smitcat
Posts: 5901
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by smitcat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 am
smitcat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:58 am
afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:19 pm
miamivice wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm
Um, how do you know your child will nap at the small family daycare?
No, but he naps very well at home and while traveling. I believe the problem is the big daycare has very strict policies - e.g., they can't let him cry to sleep when he's fussy. I think he needs a little more personal attention. They are just overall weirdly strict about things to the point of defying common sense.
You should do whatever makes you more comfortable but the small daycare centers in our area are much less regulated and can be more problematic.
I would really exhaust all of the options before changing based upon your inputs so far.
One example - have you checked your states regulatory website for any potential problems at this small daycare?
This is often true. In our jurisdiction, for example, the threshold number of children in home daycare for more regulation was increased quite a bit.

I also believe that parental "surprise" drop-ins - without previous notice - are also a very good idea - no matter the size of the operation.

One, unfortunately not uncommon, situation in smaller, home daycare operations is "help" from the operator's family members - who may not meet reasonable standards for folks caring for children.
Other examples:
- do they have a current approved license issued by the state, can you view that online
- do they require the same safety standards for structure, access, fire safety, falling safety, etc
- does anyone that may contact the children have a background check
- does anyone that may have contact with the children have a full medical scan
- do all caregivers at the site have current 1t aid, CPR, etc
- are some of the caregivers MAT certified
- does someone have a food service certificate, are they utilizing a nutrition plan
- do they have plans and policies fir health and safety
- do the caregivers have degrees, college courses and/or acceptable training in early childhood education

This list is just a start , it is a fraction of the entire list of what to look for....

Nowizard
Posts: 2828
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by Nowizard » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:33 am

Having family who switched day care locations recently from a large one, I doubt you have a case to present since you have signed an agreement. Such places have significant turnover, and parents are transferred, have many "helicopter" parents who become upset rapidly after enrolling, etc. The only consideration might be if there is a waiting list. Perhaps, it would be legal, but would be ethically questionable, in my opinion, to both fill your spot and charge you for it if you left now. Of course, one of the goals of such an agreement is so you won't leave without notice.

Tim

smitcat
Posts: 5901
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by smitcat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:43 am

Nowizard wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:33 am
Having family who switched day care locations recently from a large one, I doubt you have a case to present since you have signed an agreement. Such places have significant turnover, and parents are transferred, have many "helicopter" parents who become upset rapidly after enrolling, etc. The only consideration might be if there is a waiting list. Perhaps, it would be legal, but would be ethically questionable, in my opinion, to both fill your spot and charge you for it if you left now. Of course, one of the goals of such an agreement is so you won't leave without notice.

Tim
"Of course, one of the goals of such an agreement is so you won't leave without notice."
The goal of an agreement like this is to always have a sufficient set of resources in place for the safety and best interest of the children in the care.
The child care center makes a commitment to have hired, security cleared and trained teachers of the correct ration in place. They also commit to have the space , food, security, insurances, utilities etc in place for each child in their care.
In exchange the parents are asked to give some notice when they will start and end their requirements.

I do not know if the suitable time period would be 6 weeks or not in this case - but certainly seeking out the all the answers to the 'small daycare' prior to making a choice is likely valuable.
If after that the best choice remains to go to the small daycare I would be very surprised if a simple conversation at the current location does not come up with an equitable solution for all.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23148
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:51 am

smitcat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 am
dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 am
smitcat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:58 am
afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:19 pm
miamivice wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm
Um, how do you know your child will nap at the small family daycare?
No, but he naps very well at home and while traveling. I believe the problem is the big daycare has very strict policies - e.g., they can't let him cry to sleep when he's fussy. I think he needs a little more personal attention. They are just overall weirdly strict about things to the point of defying common sense.
You should do whatever makes you more comfortable but the small daycare centers in our area are much less regulated and can be more problematic.
I would really exhaust all of the options before changing based upon your inputs so far.
One example - have you checked your states regulatory website for any potential problems at this small daycare?
This is often true. In our jurisdiction, for example, the threshold number of children in home daycare for more regulation was increased quite a bit.

I also believe that parental "surprise" drop-ins - without previous notice - are also a very good idea - no matter the size of the operation.

One, unfortunately not uncommon, situation in smaller, home daycare operations is "help" from the operator's family members - who may not meet reasonable standards for folks caring for children.
Other examples:
- do they have a current approved license issued by the state, can you view that online
- do they require the same safety standards for structure, access, fire safety, falling safety, etc
- does anyone that may contact the children have a background check
- does anyone that may have contact with the children have a full medical scan
- do all caregivers at the site have current 1t aid, CPR, etc
- are some of the caregivers MAT certified
- does someone have a food service certificate, are they utilizing a nutrition plan
- do they have plans and policies fir health and safety
- do the caregivers have degrees, college courses and/or acceptable training in early childhood education

This list is just a start , it is a fraction of the entire list of what to look for....
Very good list - BUT

standards, policies and paperwork do not take the place of tough and demanding management on site.

Years ago, I had some involvement with a daycare center for 75-100 children. I knew the director very well and she was very, very tough and demanding of all staff for safety and low risks for the children. She was there very long hours - and was always there first thing in the morning and late in the afternoon. She was not in it for the money - but served this organization as a commitment to service and well being for children of all backgrounds. From the very credible things she told me over the years, children would have been at much higher risks and had lower quality of care - had she not been tough as nails on all the staff.

She had a very strong commitment to welcoming unannounced "drop ins" by parents of currently enrolled children and prospective enrolees. Apparently, many such facilities are very restrictive of unannounced drop ins.

smitcat
Posts: 5901
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by smitcat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:51 am
smitcat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 am
dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 am
smitcat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:58 am
afoolwithmoney wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:19 pm

No, but he naps very well at home and while traveling. I believe the problem is the big daycare has very strict policies - e.g., they can't let him cry to sleep when he's fussy. I think he needs a little more personal attention. They are just overall weirdly strict about things to the point of defying common sense.
You should do whatever makes you more comfortable but the small daycare centers in our area are much less regulated and can be more problematic.
I would really exhaust all of the options before changing based upon your inputs so far.
One example - have you checked your states regulatory website for any potential problems at this small daycare?
This is often true. In our jurisdiction, for example, the threshold number of children in home daycare for more regulation was increased quite a bit.

I also believe that parental "surprise" drop-ins - without previous notice - are also a very good idea - no matter the size of the operation.

One, unfortunately not uncommon, situation in smaller, home daycare operations is "help" from the operator's family members - who may not meet reasonable standards for folks caring for children.
Other examples:
- do they have a current approved license issued by the state, can you view that online
- do they require the same safety standards for structure, access, fire safety, falling safety, etc
- does anyone that may contact the children have a background check
- does anyone that may have contact with the children have a full medical scan
- do all caregivers at the site have current 1t aid, CPR, etc
- are some of the caregivers MAT certified
- does someone have a food service certificate, are they utilizing a nutrition plan
- do they have plans and policies fir health and safety
- do the caregivers have degrees, college courses and/or acceptable training in early childhood education

This list is just a start , it is a fraction of the entire list of what to look for....
Very good list - BUT

standards, policies and paperwork do not take the place of tough and demanding management on site.

Years ago, I had some involvement with a daycare center for 75-100 children. I knew the director very well and she was very, very tough and demanding of all staff for safety and low risks for the children. She was there very long hours - and was always there first thing in the morning and late in the afternoon. She was not in it for the money - but served this organization as a commitment to service and well being for children of all backgrounds. From the very credible things she told me over the years, children would have been at much higher risks and had lower quality of care - had she not been tough as nails on all the staff.

She had a very strong commitment to welcoming unannounced "drop ins" by parents of currently enrolled children and prospective enrolees. Apparently, many such facilities are very restrictive of unannounced drop ins.
Many parents spend more time researching their new cell phone then their planned childcare.
That is not to say that most parents are not concerned and not good parents - just that they either do not know how or why to ask questions.

playtothebeat
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 pm
Location: southern california

Re: Any way to get out of daycare 6 week notice?

Post by playtothebeat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:08 pm

I’m on a board of directors for a daycare/preschool center in my city.
The 4-6 week notice is necessary for the center to reduce the vacancy and loss of revenue while finding a replacement. While the waiting list may be long, it’s not as simple as you think to simply fill a spot. Odds are many of the parents on that list are in similar situations as you (I.e. they’ll have to break an agreement with their current center). Or they need to think about it. Or they decided they are no longer interested, etc. Plus the odds are your center wouldn’t want a new kid to start on a random Wednesday but instead would want to properly “on board” the child with appropriate lead time etc.
did you put down a deposit before starting (we have to have a month deposit on file at all times, so when rates go up from one year to the next we’ve had to true up the deposit). ? If so they can simply keep your deposit for that next month (think of it as a sunk cost :) ).

Post Reply