Maternity and Paternity leave policies

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Jags4186

Re: Maternity and Paternity leave policies

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:05 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:59 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:47 pm
curious george wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 am
I can understand this if the employee’s work can be distributed amongst many at a big Corp that has lots of money to cover the cost.

How does a small business or medical practice (not one that is covered by FMLA as it is too small) pay for this or
do the work with a vital employee gone for that long without impacting the company ?
You pay for it out of the company’s earnings. This may mean that as an owner of a small business you are going to be making less money while this employee is out. You cover the work of the vital employee by having other employees pick up the slack and/or hiring a temp. If you offer a poor or no policy then you risk having employees look for employment elsewhere when their personal situation changes. If your stance is basically “sorry, but we’re too small and we cannot offer you time off with or without pay” then I’m sure these vital employees are capable of being vital at another, more flexible, employer.
Why don't YOU pay for it out of YOUR earnings? Why the company's earnings? What does the company have to do with getting pregnant? Fascinating how everyone is quick to be generous with others' money.
Pay for what? A small business does not need to offer leave in FMLA. An employee doesn’t need to continue working for that employer. The employer should take into account a few things:

1) People will have children
2) It will be disruptive
3) What will be least disruptive for me?

If you’re large enough to be covered by FMLA then you don’t have as much say as you think. Your employees can use up their vacation, take the time off unpaid, and come back.

If you’re too small to cover FMLA and you don’t want to let the employee have time off, then you risk losing a good employee.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:13 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:01 pm
toofache32 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 pm
Quirkz wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:10 pm
toofache32 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:31 pm

I'm not opposed to taking off work for a new baby. I'm not opposed to having the job protected for a period of time to be able to return to work. But getting paid to not work is what makes no sense to me.
Vacation and sick days are getting paid not to work. This is just another class of benefit, in the same lines.

That said, while my company is subject to FMLA rules, it doesn't provide any automatic paid leave for kids. You're guaranteed the 12 weeks unpaid, but have to use sick or vacation time to get paid.
Yes but why the carve out? My small business offers 3 weeks paid PTO. You can use that any way you wish. You can take vacation, get sick, or have a baby.
As a culture we have decided that having children and family is a good thing. Therefore we make special exceptions for when children come into the picture.
Nobody will disagree that children and family are good things. I was under the (maybe mistaken) impression that this was originally given to mothers who underwent childbirth to recover and nurse the baby for a limited time. But it seems this has evolved into something else.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:25 pm

Finding and training good employees is incredibly expensive. For us that can run into the tens or hundreds of thousands. Paid family leave is cheap compared to the loss of a talented employee.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:41 pm

My last megacorp employer started providing 20 weeks for birth mothers and 6 weeks for other parents, because it was getting publicly embarrassing that they couldn’t find any women that were willing to work for them.

Here in America we do everything the free market way whether that’s a good idea or not. In some industries, if you want to be able and hire and retain good employees, parental leave is something that you’ll need to provide. In other industries, not so much.

You would think an enterprising insurance company would start selling parental leave riders on their short term disability policies. That would allow small employers to make themselves competitive with bigger companies for employees by offering competitive parental leave policies, without risking the bottom line if there’s an office baby boom.

JTColton

Post by JTColton » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:55 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:51 am
JTColton wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:55 am
toofache32 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:19 pm
What do you mean by "paternity" leave?
Maternity = mothers
Paternity = fathers
I get that. I just didn’t know this was really a thing extended to males. When my wife had our kids 13 and 15 years ago I was allowed to take the day off for the delivery. It never would have crossed my mind to ask for more time.
It's a thing, even the military has increased it from 10 to 14 days of un-chargeable leave for fathers.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:57 am

Several off-topic posts were removed. This topic is locked for moderator review.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:36 am

After review, the thread will remain locked (contentious, unable to stay on topic).