Teaching a 4 Year old donating with quarters

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
rocketrex

Teaching a 4 Year old donating with quarters

Post by rocketrex »

Looking for creative ideas here from everyone. I just bought our 4 year old one of those piggy banks that is separated into different compartments. One for spending, one for saving, one for donating. Being that he only has quarters and dimes in the piggy bank, I'm at a loss as to what to do with the donating money. Does any one have any good/creative ideas of how to help a 4 year old donate a couple dollars and have it be a lesson at the same time?
k3vb0t

Re: Teaching a 4 Year old donating with quarters

Post by k3vb0t »

Save it up and offer to match the donation (1x, 3x whatever). Then take it in person to your favorite charitable cause so he can see the reaction.

Alternatively do the same thing and show how you’re sending the money to them online.
Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect »

My local Safeway supermarkets have food donation bins near Thanksgiving time. You could use the coins to buy tuna cans for food bin donation.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.
sport

Post by sport »

My grandson is 4 years old. I don't believe he even knows what money is. Perhaps it is a little early to learn about donating.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Put them in the collection plate at church.
Make an offering at a shrine.
Some supermarkets have charity boxes at the checkout for something or another.
Wait for Halloween when kids are collecting for UNICEF (if they still do that).
Give them to some homeless person with a sign on the corner.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
scubadiver

Post by scubadiver »

scubadiver
Last edited by scubadiver on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

I think its very admirable you starting to install values of compassion at an early age to your 4yr old. What about setting aside quarters and going shopping towards Christmas time (if that works with your faith) and letting them pick out a donation to Toys for Tots? You should be able to do that and just say you are helping Santa with those less fortunate.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

He's really little. But all little kids like Christmas. Why not save the coins in the piggybank, then take him down to a Salvation Army Red Kettle in December, and have him put them in there.

"These people are collecting money to help people who don't have anything for Christmas".

Nothing more complicated than that simple message.
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

I think what you are doing is great. We did a bake sale last year with kids ranging from 4yr to 8 yr old helping us and raised money for fire victims in northern California. The 4 year old understood that money will help kids who didn't have a home. You have to explain in simple terms.

In your case, do you think you can buy some ingredients for baking with the money, involve the kid in baking and talk about what you doing and why. Then if you have more money than you started with, involve the kid in mailing the check to the charity. Show the kid some pictures of how the money will help and whom
Zetterberg07

Post by Zetterberg07 »

A lot of children’s museums have coin donation bins where you put a coin into a slot and watch it roll in circles on the top of the bin until it falls through a hole into the bin.

My 5 year old has a several 1 dollar bills earmarked for donation, she is planning to convert them into pennies at the bank in order to maximize her ability to donate in this way. I am planning for a long day at our children’s museum...
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Something visual where he can see a real result immediately from the donation. Perhaps bring purchased food to a food bank?
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

Zoos, aquariums and museums that kids are likely to be at usually have various small donation collection points for various conservation causes. Sometimes they are a little pretend parking meter next to particular exhibits or as mentioned up thread one of those visually enticing vortex coin collectors near the entrance.

My daughter (6) is frequently berating me when we are at the zoo or someplace and we’ve forgotten to bring coins in so she can donate to save the cheetahs or whatever from her savings. We electronically track her savings and provide very high interest to encourage savings at a rate noticeable to a small child - (1.25%/wk). Other than providing advice/reminders along the way (e.g. remember you were saving for X, do you really want to spend on Y now) or vetoing health/safety related things it is up to her what she spends it on. See The First National Bank of Dad for a very well thought out guide.

We don’t sequester any of her savings for donations - she wants to do it spontaneously on her own. If she hears about some natural disaster she often asks how to donate. She’s no angel and of course pays more attention to what she wants to spend on herself as far as long term plans go but I’m suprised how often she spontaneously wants to donate a pretty significant fraction of her savings to something. Kids are always looking to help already. I sort of worry turning it into an obligation rather than choice might have unintended consequences but certainly it would vary from child to child as to what makes the most sense!

The parent matching idea is excellent (e.g. parent donates 4x what the kids does) and we’ve done that occasionally but should probably formalize it and make it automatic.
Hulu

Post by Hulu »

One of the best questions I’ve ever read. I have the same question for my four year old. Tactile and tangible experiences seem to resonate. And money is hard to understand for little kids and adults alike. I’d like to have her buy a homeless person food one day. And she currently packs food at a food pantry and likes the reaction of the other volunteers. As well as the half doughnut she gets after volunteering haha. I also ask her how to help people and always share specifically how lucky I am to help people through work and volunteering.
Topic Author
rocketrex

Post by rocketrex »

Thank you all for the wonderful replies! I was initially worried as well that he is a bit too young but there are some great ideas in this thread that we can incorporate. I'm excited for these kiddos to get a bit older so they can grasp the money/saving thing a bit more.