Credit card sign on bonus suggestion

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
walletless

Credit card sign on bonus suggestion

Post by walletless » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Hello,

I'm planning a foreign travel trip (Japan) in few months and thinking of applying a credit card for sign on bonus. Besides sign on bonus, a card with no foreign exchange fee would be nice.

I'm not eligible for the Chase Sapphire or reserve cards until 2020 due to their newly added 24-month rule. I also don't have any business, so not eligible for business cards.

We will likely fly Delta Air for the trip and stay in Airbnb booked homes.

Other cards I have today are Chase Freedom, Amex everyday, BofA BankAmericard, Discover-it, Fidelity Visa, Barclays Commence

Any suggestions?
Last edited by walletless on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoungBogle

Re: Credit card sign on bonus suggestion

Post by YoungBogle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Cap1 venture

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:21 pm

Delta Gold or Delta Platinum for AFs of $95 or $195

They have 60k+ $50 credit and 75k point SUBs respectively through July 2nd and you get free bags with both cards. You get priority boarding and a 20% discount on anything you buy in-flight. The Platinum adds a domestic companion fare after the first year.

Since Amex has the once in a lifetime policy for SUBs you want to grab the increased offers. (Normally 30 and 35k)

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:23 pm

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Sell a few things on craigslist or ebay and, bam, you're a sole proprietor. Chase Ink Preferred.

Topic Author
walletless

Post by walletless » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:51 pm

teamDE wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:48 pm
Sell a few things on craigslist or ebay and, bam, you're a sole proprietor. Chase Ink Preferred.
I'm guessing you're joking here.. or are you serious? I mean with income of couple hundred dollars as a shell eBay "business"... what would be the chance of approval?

Topic Author
walletless

Post by walletless » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:52 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:21 pm
Delta Gold or Delta Platinum for AFs of $95 or $195

They have 60k+ $50 credit and 75k point SUBs respectively through July 2nd and you get free bags with both cards. You get priority boarding and a 20% discount on anything you buy in-flight. The Platinum adds a domestic companion fare after the first year.

Since Amex has the once in a lifetime policy for SUBs you want to grab the increased offers. (Normally 30 and 35k)
Thanks, this looks like good idea. I'll look into this card more.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:55 pm

walletless wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:51 pm
teamDE wrote:
I'm guessing you're joking here.. or are you serious? I mean with income of couple hundred dollars as a shell eBay "business"... what would be the chance of approval?
It would be zero because the OP is over 5/24, unless they apply with an EIN, but I wouldn't go that route because, well, it's less than legitimate. OP, if you've never had an AA card, the Citi AA is fine. The Bank of America Premium Rewards is another good one, so is the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve if you have a U.S. Bank account or credit card you haven't told us about. In your case, I would probably go with BOA Premium Rewards. Maybe Barclays approves you for an Arrival Plus, but unless you have had decent spend on your other Barclays card, probably not. Capital One you don't get approved for being over 5/24 in all likelihood.

Does Japan accept American Express widely?

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:56 pm

walletless wrote:
teamDE wrote:
Very high actually. Lenders want to extend you credit, especially if your credit score is high.

However, I would suggest that you consider the Delta Amex card if you believe that you'll be flying with Delta again in the future. The sign-up bonus is good, and you'll get lots of points for charging your flight to the card.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Topic Author
walletless

Post by walletless » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:04 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:55 pm
walletless wrote:
teamDE wrote:
It would be zero because the OP is over 5/24,
I'm not over 5/24. I just am within 24 months of getting Chase Sapphire sign on bonus so I'm not eligible for Sapphire preferred/reserve cards.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:05 pm

walletless wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:04 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:55 pm
walletless wrote:
teamDE wrote:
It would be zero because the OP is over 5/24,
I'm not over 5/24. I just am within 24 months of getting Chase Sapphire sign on bonus so I'm not eligible for Sapphire preferred/reserve cards.
If it makes you feel any better it’s 48 months between Sapphire bonuses now.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:19 pm

walletless wrote:
teamDE wrote:
I'm in California and this is what we did: My wife went to the county and submitted a fictitious business statement for a business for me as well as for her. This took her about an hour, mostly in driving time. She started a jewelry business and I started a tutoring business (my wife is a stay-at-home parent and I'm a teacher). The county provided us with a list of newspapers where our business names had to be published for a few weeks and we selected one that wasn't too costly. Out total out of pocket cost for the fictitious business statements and meeting the publishing requirement was maybe a couple hundred dollars. Next, we each opened up business checking accounts at Chase and Wells Fargo and earned $1200 in bonuses. We've closed the Chase accounts by now but have kept the Wells Fargo accounts. We also opened up Chase business credit cards and earned 200,000 Ultimate Reward Points between the two of us. We transferred those points to a Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card where they are worth at least $3k. So far, we haven't earned anything from our businesses but perhaps we will at some point. I'm seriously considering tutoring but the hourly pay to do so is much lower than credit card bonuses.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:19 pm
walletless wrote:
teamDE wrote:
I'm in California and this is what we did: My wife went to the county and submitted a fictitious business statement for a business for me as well as for her. This took her about an hour, mostly in driving time. She started a jewelry business and I started a tutoring business (my wife is a stay-at-home parent and I'm a teacher). The county provided us with a list of newspapers where our business names had to be published for a few weeks and we selected one that wasn't too costly. Out total out of pocket cost for the fictitious business statements and meeting the publishing requirement was maybe a couple hundred dollars. Next, we each opened up business checking accounts at Chase and Wells Fargo and earned $1200 in bonuses. We've closed the Chase accounts by now but have kept the Wells Fargo accounts. We also opened up Chase business credit cards and earned 200,000 Ultimate Reward Points between the two of us. We transferred those points to a Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card where they are worth at least $3k. So far, we haven't earned anything from our businesses but perhaps we will at some point. I'm seriously considering tutoring but the hourly pay to do so is much lower than credit card bonuses.
"Fictitious business statements" sound like fraud to me.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:20 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote:
walletless wrote:
teamDE wrote:
I agree that it’s an odd name, but that’s what they’re called for some reason.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:00 am

Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Ron Ronnerson wrote:
walletless wrote:
teamDE wrote:
I agree with willthrill seems like a slam dunk fraud. False information that was relied on in order to apply for credit.

Its not odd that those statements were called fictitious because that is what they are. Just so you know, anyone who provided those to you with knowledge that you were submitting them as part of a credit has most likely also committed a crime.

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 am

MichCPA wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:00 am
I agree with willthrill seems like a slam dunk fraud. False information that was relied on in order to apply for credit.

Its not odd that those statements were called fictitious because that is what they are. Just so you know, anyone who provided those to you with knowledge that you were submitting them as part of a credit has most likely also committed a crime.
It might "seem" like a fraud to you, but it is not; though the name is weird. See, for example, for Los Angeles county: https://www.lacounty.gov/business/start ... ness-name/

Neither the applicant, nor the "person who provided them" committed fraud.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:14 am

Chicago60 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 am
MichCPA wrote:

It might "seem" like a fraud to you, but it is not; though the name is weird. See, for example, for Los Angeles county: https://www.lacounty.gov/business/start ... ness-name/

That is basically a DBA filing. Not even going to apologize because that is terrible terminology.

peek

Post by peek » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 am

Chicago60 wrote:
MichCPA wrote:

That is actually what these filings are called, I remember that term when I went to sign up for a Santander account. They told me I needed to file paperwork for my eBay business to be eligible and that's what they called it.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 am

Does anyone know if I apply for the Delta Gold card do I need to get a SkyMiles account first or can it be created in the application process? Any idea how long until the miles expire (assuming no other SkyMile activity)?

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:28 am

MichCPA wrote:
Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Ron Ronnerson wrote:
walletless wrote:

I was thinking of starting a tutoring business (I actually had two people lined up who wanted me to tutor them and was seriously considering doing it), so I went to open a business checking account at Chase. I was planning to use this account for all business transactions such as purchase materials and deposit any money earned. Chase gave me the address to the county office and wrote on a post it to get something called a "fictitious business statement" from there. After getting that, I had to publish the name of the business in a newspaper for four weeks. I then returned back to Chase and opened the business checking account and applied for a business credit card. At a later point, I decided that since Wells Fargo required a lower balance to keep the account fee-free, I'd open an account there instead and close out the Chase account. Wells Fargo asked for a fictitious business statement as well at that meeting. I had it with me and was able to open the account due to having this document. Are you suggesting that both Chase and Wells Fargo are advising their customers to do something illegal?

Topic Author
walletless

Post by walletless » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:40 am

So trying to get the thread back on my original question, I have now narrowed down to two possibilities. I plan to spend ~$5,000 on travel (~$2,500 on airline tickets, $2,500 on airbnb).

1) Chase Ink Business Preferred: 80,000 points sign-on bonus, plus 3x points on travel. So if I purchase the full 5k on this card, I will get 80,000 + 15,000 points = 95000 point (worth $950 cash or $1,185 if used for travel), minus $95 annual fee. Net payout is $855 (cash equivalent) or $1,090 (travel equivalent)

2) Delta Amex Gold Card: 60,000 points sign-on bonus, plus $50 if Delta air booked within first 3 months, plus 2x points for delta tickets and 1x for other expenses. So I get total 60000+5000+2500 = 67,500 points and $50 cash bonus (i.e. total of $725). There is no fee for first year, then $95 from 2nd year onwards. Net payout is $725 (cash equivalent)

Based on this (1) seems like the clear winner, assuming I will qualify for the card. Plus VISA seems to be more widely accepted in Japan than Amex.
If I do not qualify for the Ink card, I can always apply for (2) as a consolation prize.

Does this makes sense?

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:17 pm

walletless wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:40 am
So trying to get the thread back on my original question, I have now narrowed down to two possibilities. I plan to spend ~$5,000 on travel (~$2,500 on airline tickets, $2,500 on airbnb).

1) Chase Ink Business Preferred: 80,000 points sign-on bonus, plus 3x points on travel. So if I purchase the full 5k on this card, I will get 80,000 + 15,000 points = 95000 point (worth $950 cash or $1,185 if used for travel), minus $95 annual fee. Net payout is $855 (cash equivalent) or $1,090 (travel equivalent)

2) Delta Amex Gold Card: 60,000 points sign-on bonus, plus $50 if Delta air booked within first 3 months, plus 2x points for delta tickets and 1x for other expenses. So I get total 60000+5000+2500 = 67,500 points and $50 cash bonus (i.e. total of $725). There is no fee for first year, then $95 from 2nd year onwards. Net payout is $725 (cash equivalent)

Based on this (1) seems like the clear winner, assuming I will qualify for the card. Plus VISA seems to be more widely accepted in Japan than Amex.
If I do not qualify for the Ink card, I can always apply for (2) as a consolation prize.

Does this makes sense?
I think your plan is good. Remember that it doesn't have to be either/or. You can apply for one of these cards, meet the minimum spending requirement and earn the bonus, and then apply for the other one.

By the way, I was able to earn 100k points instead of 80k on the Chase Ink Business Preferred Card by going into a branch in person and speaking with their Relationship Manager. The Relationship Managers have (or at least used to have) the ability to offer 100k points instead of the normal 80k. The bigger branch offices tend to have people in them who hold this title whereas you're less likely to find these folks in the smaller branches. I opened my account about a year back so I'm not sure if the 100k point offer via a Relationship Manager is still available but it may be worth looking into if you really wish to maximize points.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:20 pm

Cap 1 venture and savor (500 each, 1k total).
Citi Thankyou Premiere. (use their travel site to book).
Citi AA (lots of flights and partners).
United Explorer

If married, get a his and hers.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Chicago60 wrote:

A business in California has to be registered with the local county, not with the state ?

Slightly off topic, but I am wondering if one wants to incorporate a small part-time online business (< $5K per year) as a sole proprietor, does it have to be in one's state of residence or can it be in any state (so one could pick a state with low registration and annual fees). Taxwise it would make no difference as a DBA since it would be on one's 1040 directly, and there is no sales tax to be collected.

bigb

Post by bigb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:57 pm

You could consider the Charles Schwab Amex Platinum. It does have a high annual fee of $450, but the initial sign on bonus will get you $750 worth of points that can be deposited directly to a Charles Schwab account. Also you will get $15 monthly in uber credits, $200 annually in travel incidental credits (which I just use to buy Delta gift cards), Global Entry Reimbursement (which also gets you TSA precheck) and quite a few other benefits that make the fee bearable, especially if you travel a bunch.

Coato

Post by Coato » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:25 pm

walletless wrote:

Does this makes sense?
I don't think anyone has suggested this, but I would apply for the 70,000 points Barclaycard Arrival Plus offer which had a link working still on the Doctor of Credit website. It is a straight 2.1% back so you would get $800 total without having to mess with the business angle. I like the Chase Ink Preferred and have it, but I aways hesitate when putting personal travel on the card since none of the protections apply. At the end of one year you can product change the Arriva Plus down to an Arrival if you don't think the fee is worth it.

Quite frankly, the Delta cards are awful and I am surprised you are considering them. The only only only reason Delta makes sense, is if you have a very flexible life and can take advantage of their fare sales. Otherwise I can't ever see any Delta redemptions that are worth the cost. I'd rather pay cash for a Delta flight usually and collect cash back.

Unless you have a blogger lifestyle, flexible currencies and cash back are way better.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Coato wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:25 pm
walletless wrote:

Does this makes sense?
I don't think anyone has suggested this, but I would apply for the 70,000 points Barclaycard Arrival Plus offer which had a link working still on the Doctor of Credit website. It is a straight 2.1% back so you would get $800 total without having to mess with the business angle. I like the Chase Ink Preferred and have it, but I aways hesitate when putting personal travel on the card since none of the protections apply. At the end of one year you can product change the Arriva Plus down to an Arrival if you don't think the fee is worth it.

Quite frankly, the Delta cards are awful and I am surprised you are considering them. The only only only reason Delta makes sense, is if you have a very flexible life and can take advantage of their fare sales. Otherwise I can't ever see any Delta redemptions that are worth the cost. I'd rather pay cash for a Delta flight usually and collect cash back.

Unless you have a blogger lifestyle, flexible currencies and cash back are way better.
Good point. I was considering the Delta card (can't get AA/UAL now). I never fly Delta as I live in a big city that are big UAL/AA hubs. But for miles, I thought it could work for a trip here or there. The thing is, the annual trip I always use 60k AA or UAL miles for is 88k miles on Delta. So I am going to pass.

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:55 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:35 pm
Chicago60 wrote:

A business in California has to be registered with the local county, not with the state ?

Slightly off topic, but I am wondering if one wants to incorporate a small part-time online business (< $5K per year) as a sole proprietor, does it have to be in one's state of residence or can it be in any state (so one could pick a state with low registration and annual fees). Taxwise it would make no difference as a DBA since it would be on one's 1040 directly, and there is no sales tax to be collected.
Sorry, but I am not a California licensed attorney and cannot answer your question. I did a simple search to address the issue above.

Topic Author
walletless

Post by walletless » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:17 pm

Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:17 pm
By the way, I was able to earn 100k points instead of 80k on the Chase Ink Business Preferred Card by going into a branch in person and speaking with their Relationship Manager. The Relationship Managers have (or at least used to have) the ability to offer 100k points instead of the normal 80k.
Thanks for the tip! How does this work, just go to a branch, ask for a BRM to talk to and ask them (bluntly) for this offer? I'm going tomorrow to my Chase Bank branch to check, any tips on how to apply would help, especially if you don't have a business relationship checking account with them.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:31 pm

walletless wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:17 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:17 pm
By the way, I was able to earn 100k points instead of 80k on the Chase Ink Business Preferred Card by going into a branch in person and speaking with their Relationship Manager. The Relationship Managers have (or at least used to have) the ability to offer 100k points instead of the normal 80k.
Thanks for the tip! How does this work, just go to a branch, ask for a BRM to talk to and ask them (bluntly) for this offer? I'm going tomorrow to my Chase Bank branch to check, any tips on how to apply would help, especially if you don't have a business relationship checking account with them.
I got the 100k points over a year ago so I'm not sure if they'll be able to offer the extra points to you or not. However, it doesn't hurt to ask. I would just say to whomever you speak with that you had heard that a relationship manager was able to increase the bonus to 100k points in the past and ask if something like that is still possible. If not, 80k points is still great and you know you haven't left any money on the table. If they can do it, that's obviously even better. Good luck!

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Coato wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Not the original poster, but I don't disagree that Delta awards seem to be bad. That said, I am not really eligible for any other mileage/flex card award, and would really rather take the possibility of a rare award (I do have some travel flexibility) over cash.

I am still trying to decide between the Hawaiian and Delta cards. Hawaiian seems to have few (if any) partners for award travel, while delta has some, but those are rarely available.

It seems to me that Delta has reasonable award space to some Central or South American destinations. Is that correct ?

Topic Author
walletless

Post by walletless » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I visited a Chase branch today to apply for the Ink Preferred card. The SMR said they no longer have the 100K offer as it was discontinued at the beginning of the year. They did not re-introduce that offer again since, even during the small-business week in May; so he was somewhat sure that that offer is gone for good.

I applied for the card using my blog as the business. The blog hardly makes any revenues (<$25 annually), which is what I stated in the application. After completing my application, the SMR's screen said that I should hear back in 7-30 days. The SMR immediately called backoffice for reconsideration and I was approved for a credit line of $9,000. This puts me at a total of ~$90K total credit line with Chase, so they could not approve me for a higher amount; however I was told I can move my credit limit from another existing card to this one if necessary. The SMR also asked the backoffice to send me the card via 2-day air, so I will have it before Thursday.

Overall, great experience. Now I have to reserve my tickets and airbnb soon so I have my $5K spend requirements within 90 days :-D

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Congrats!