Mailers for Medicare, AARP, etc to a younger person

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
eengstro

Mailers for Medicare, AARP, etc to a younger person

Post by eengstro » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 am

I've been receiving mailers from AARP to join. I've received other mailers from insurance companies to purchase Medicare prescription coverage. "It's time to enroll in Medicare!", shouted this week's ad from Blue Shield/Cross.

But I'm only 42. Why do these companies think I'm 65?

My first thought was identity theft/fraud, or record errors, but my credit reports have my birthday listed correctly. Given that my credit reports are correct, is this an indication of something I need to worry about?

rmark1

Re: Mailers for Medicare, AARP, etc to a younger person

Post by rmark1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:08 am

Maybe you need a makeover? change in clothing styles?

I think age 55 is AARP's age, 42 is a bit young to get those mailers.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:10 am

An 18 year old can join AARP. They don't have a minimum age restriction.

Feel free to join AARP if you think any membership benefits will benefit you.
Last edited by miamivice on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godot

Post by Godot » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:11 am

eengstro wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 am
I've been receiving mailers from AARP to join. I've received other mailers from insurance companies to purchase Medicare prescription coverage. "It's time to enroll in Medicare!", shouted this week's ad from Blue Shield/Cross.

My first thought was identity theft/fraud, or record errors, but my credit reports have my birthday listed correctly. Given that my credit reports are correct, is this an indication of something I need to worry about?
I've been receiving mailers from AARP two or three times a week since I turned 50, ten years ago. I've tried everything in the book to stop these, to no avail. My impression is that they are a sloppy, wasteful and desperate organization.
“Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think.” ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:53 am

I wondered about this as I got a mailer from them a couple months ago when I turned 48. :shock:

They're trying to reach a younger population, so they rebranded themselves.

They are no longer The American Associated of Retired People. They are now the American Association of Real Possibilities. :annoyed

https://www.aarp.org/

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:44 pm

eengstro wrote:

The insurance companies get turning 65 list from drivers licence data .Maybe a data entry error or someone with same name who is turning 65 ? Look on the bright side when you do actually turn 65 you wont be bombarded with solicitation for medicare products.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:04 pm

miamivice wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:10 am
An 18 year old can join AARP. They don't have a minimum age restriction.

Feel free to join AARP if you think any membership benefits will benefit you.
¨Full membership¨ in AARP is limited to those age 50 and up.

Younger folks are welcome to join AARP as ¨associate members.¨ Associate membership automatically converts to full membership when the formerly associate member turns 50.

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fo ... /index.htm

Post by 123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Likely a similar name situation where they found a match with your current info. If you used the same address as a parent after you were 18 it's also possible for your DOB info to get scrambled with your parents. When looking up addresses for former classmates I often find scrambled info related to their parents. Yes, junk mail is junkier than you ever imagined.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Interestingly enough, DW hasn't received mailers from AARP. And, neither have I.

DW was bombarded by Medicare insurance providers when she turned 65 last year, but they have slowed recently.

Not complaining, mind you, not at all!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:19 pm

We still receive dinner invitations for MIL, dead since 2014, from advisors.

I'm tempted to sign up and bring her urn along when I attend with her. :annoyed

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Topic Author
eengstro

Post by eengstro » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Well, it's probably just a junky junk mail list, then. :annoyed Thanks, all!

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:10 pm

eengstro wrote:

Just wait until you get mailings from cemeteries and funeral homes! :annoyed

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:59 pm

AARP starts mailing when you hit 50. So it seems like they are early.

Probably they confused you with someone else. In a few years you may get two copies of the same mailing. There is no realistic way to stop this.

You CAN avoid giving out your address for things in the future.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:50 am

The AARP has not been operating for the benefit of seniors for decades.

They are an primarily an affinity marketing organization that pushes products that are often not beneficial to seniors. Their affiliated insurance (Medigap, car, life, etc...) products are often more expensive than competitive products in many states.

They generate twice as much from affinity royalties as they do from membership dues. They have reaped additional Billion$ in those royalty payments by opposing Medicare reforms that would hurt that revenue stream and were the strongest proponent of ACA Medicare cuts to boost that revenue stream.

They are also [an advocacy --admin LadyGeek] and lobbying group that often takes positions that are contrary to the best interests of the vast majority of seniors. They do not poll or accept input before staking out such positions.

They are far from the seniors best friend. With that said, I am a member. I would do a deal with the devil to save money. Other than that I have no opinion.

Topic Author
eengstro

Post by eengstro » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:16 pm

obafgkm wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:10 pm
Just wait until you get mailings from cemeteries and funeral homes! :annoyed
I've been getting cremation mailers for years. Maybe the insurance companies told them I have a motorcycle. :shock: :D

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:30 pm

eengstro wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:58 pm
Well, it's probably just a junky junk mail list, then. :annoyed Thanks, all!
I had two friends, living in the same city, with very similar names (one letter different). They got stuff for each other all the time. They’re about 20 years apart in age. The younger one started getting AARP mailings when she was 30.

The crazy thing was that although I knew both of them, they didn’t know each other. Since one of them was having financial problems, and the other one was getting all sorts of contacts from debt collectors about it, I decided that t would be a bad idea to introduce them.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:36 pm

I removed some off-topic comments. Please stay on-topic and state your concerns in a civil, factual, manner.

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues (mail).

Update: Revised description.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LonePrairie

Post by LonePrairie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:47 pm

I'm an AARP member, but I don't want to receive mailings from them. I opted out of their mailings several years ago using the form at the link below. Although I've moved since opting out, the opt-out form is still in effect.

https://www.aarp.org/forms/privacy-opt-out-form-new/

Topic Author
eengstro

Post by eengstro » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:47 pm

LonePrairie wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:47 pm
I'm an AARP member, but I don't want to receive mailings from them. I opted out of their mailings several years ago using the form at the link below. Although I've moved since opting out, the opt-out form is still in effect.

https://www.aarp.org/forms/privacy-opt-out-form-new/
Thanks for the link! Maybe that'll quiet it down a bit.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:50 pm

I have run into web sites where the registration processes requires your birthday when there is no real reason for them to have it except to resell your information. I just make up information which has likely gotten me on some bogus mailing lists.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:06 am

I started getting stuff from AARP when I turned 50. Now that I am turning 65 my mailbox is being flooded with stuff from insurance companies wanting to "help" me pick the right Medicare supplement.