Personal Capital Cash

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
travelogue

Personal Capital Cash

Post by travelogue » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:48 am

Looks like Personal Capital has jumped into the cash management pool and now offers a 2.3% APY FDIC insured account.

https://www.personalcapital.com/cash

Of course Wealthfront is already at 2.51%. https://www.wealthfront.com/cash

Gufomel

Re: Personal Capital Cash

Post by Gufomel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:55 am

Maybe now their software will stop telling me that I have too much of my portfolio allocated to cash. All I have in cash is a 6 month emergency fund!

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14 am

Gufomel wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:55 am
Maybe now their software will stop telling me that I have too much of my portfolio allocated to cash. All I have in cash is a 6 month emergency fund!
They always tell me the same thing no matter how much cash I have.

deadlymonkey

Post by deadlymonkey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:12 am

I like personal capital for their free serivce. I think I do actually have too much cash sitting in savings account getting .1% and have been indecisive about opening a HYSA away from my normal bank. Anyone think this is worth it, pros/cons vs Ally which seems to be the most recommended?

MMLC3

Post by MMLC3 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:14 am

Hockey10 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14 am
Gufomel wrote:
Same here. Do you guys keep 6 month emergency funds in an investing account? I have it in Ally which gives about 2%. Just curious if there is a better way to do this.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am

travelogue wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:48 am
Looks like Personal Capital has jumped into the cash management pool and now offers a 2.3% APY FDIC insured account.

Wealthfront looks like the best deal out there. It's FDIC insured and does not limit withdrawal like saving account does. Aside from the hassle of creating new Wealthfront cash account and moving money there, I don't see a downside to it yet. I saw on their website that they are exploring new features such as ATM, check, bill pay, etc.

wxl31

Post by wxl31 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:14 pm

MMLC3 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:14 am
Same here. Do you guys keep 6 month emergency funds in an investing account? I have it in Ally which gives about 2%. Just curious if there is a better way to do this.
I keep my true emergency cash at Ally. Although these rates may be tempting (2.51% Wealthfront vs. 2.2% Ally), the fact they do not come with debit cards or free ATM withdrawals make them suboptimal for me as a true emergency source of cash.

This is tempting however for an "emergency" fund such as yours (not truly an emergency in the sense that if it takes 3-5 days to physically access the cash, it won't make a difference).

LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm

H-Town wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am
travelogue wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:48 am

Wealthfront looks like the best deal out there. It's FDIC insured and does not limit withdrawal like saving account does. Aside from the hassle of creating new Wealthfront cash account and moving money there, I don't see a downside to it yet. I saw on their website that they are exploring new features such as ATM, check, bill pay, etc.
Does it make anyone else nervous that Wealthfront is not actually a bank, but rather shuttles your money into other FDIC institutions? Presumably they are losing money by paying the customer 2.51%, and then turning around and investing that money with another FDIC institution paying less.

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/wealth ... h-account/

"Importantly, Wealthfront isn’t offering a basic savings account — it is not a bank. Rather, Wealthfront is offering a cash management account, which sweeps your deposits into FDIC member institutions. But again, the Wealthfront Cash Account is a fully insured place to park your money. Other fintech firms, like Aspiration, use this model, too."

MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:13 pm

I moved $5,000 into it, as an emergency emergency fund. Been wanting to move away from Wells Fargo anyway and honestly the set-up and transfer for this Cash account was incredibly simple. Debit card would be a useful addition in the future but considering this money has no particular purpose I don't care at the moment.

isira

Post by isira » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:16 pm

LeftCoastIV wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm
Does it make anyone else nervous that Wealthfront is not actually a bank, but rather shuttles your money into other FDIC institutions? Presumably they are losing money by paying the customer 2.51%, and then turning around and investing that money with another FDIC institution paying less.

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/wealth ... h-account/

"Importantly, Wealthfront isn’t offering a basic savings account — it is not a bank. Rather, Wealthfront is offering a cash management account, which sweeps your deposits into FDIC member institutions. But again, the Wealthfront Cash Account is a fully insured place to park your money. Other fintech firms, like Aspiration, use this model, too."
Many major brokerages that offer cash management also use this model of partnering with several banks, such as Fidelity.

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:36 pm

deadlymonkey wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:12 am
I like personal capital for their free serivce. I think I do actually have too much cash sitting in savings account getting .1% and have been indecisive about opening a HYSA away from my normal bank. Anyone think this is worth it, pros/cons vs Ally which seems to be the most recommended?
Ally has a checking account, which is why I stick with it. So does Redneck Bank with better rates but more rule and account limits. Personal Capital doesn't move the needle enough.

bjs2025

Post by bjs2025 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:07 am

MMLC3 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:14 am
Hockey10 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14 am
Gufomel wrote:
I have my emergency fund in my personal credit union making pretty much zero return. Is Ally the consensus "best" option to open an online savings and let it sit? And also liquid?

MnD

Post by MnD » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 am

My prediction is once they have your cash and all your contact information, they will market the heck out of you (phone/email/on-screen) to "put your cash to work" in their investment advisory service at 0.79% of assets management fee. Note that they pay a bit more on cash through this service for their advisory clients. No different than how their "free" portfolio aggregator software is a lead generator/marketing device for their advisory service. I like PC but you have to be good at saying no both externally to their marketing attempts and internally through having confidence in your ability to manage your own investments.

None of these external account cash offers do a thing for me because I have adopted a simplification model and can do as well or better long-term managing my cash in my primary investment accounts. Any chance I have I get rid of financial accounts, especially far-flung single purpose ones the better.

lepa71

Post by lepa71 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 pm

MnD wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 am
My prediction is once they have your cash and all your contact information, they will market the heck out of you (phone/email/on-screen) to "put your cash to work" in their investment advisory service at 0.79% of assets management fee. Note that they pay a bit more on cash through this service for their advisory clients. No different than how their "free" portfolio aggregator software is a lead generator/marketing device for their advisory service. I like PC but you have to be good at saying no both externally to their marketing attempts and internally through having confidence in your ability to manage your own investments.

None of these external account cash offers do a thing for me because I have adopted a simplification model and can do as well or better long-term managing my cash in my primary investment accounts. Any chance I have I get rid of financial accounts, especially far-flung single purpose ones the better.
I think you are putting too much into it. Some banks pay 0.1% so it makes sense for somebody to at least try to get more from emergency funds.
As for PC bugging you, just tell them you don't want it. I haven't gotten a call from them in a couple of years now. PC cash is also FDIC insured and your money market is not.

bmh33

Post by bmh33 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 am

Has anyone that is using this tried to transfer funds out of the account? If so, how long did it take?