What documents are needed for new home purchase?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
gwe67

What documents are needed for new home purchase?

Post by gwe67 »

When buying a new home from a homebuilder for cash, would these be needed: property survey, inspection, and title insurance? Is there anything else needed?
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
Watty

Re: What documents are needed for new home purchase?

Post by Watty »

gwe67 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:28 pm When buying a new home from a homebuilder for cash, would these be needed: property survey, inspection, and title insurance? Is there anything else needed?
If I was having a home built I would pay to have the home inspector check it out at several different points during the construction. With the builder knowing that your inspector might show up on any random day you will likely get better quality.

In some parts of the country you may also want to get a termite policy from day one.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

You don't NEED those things, but I believe you should want them.

Trust but verify.
rascott

Post by rascott »

gwe67 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:28 pm When buying a new home from a homebuilder for cash, would these be needed: property survey, inspection, and title insurance? Is there anything else needed?
Is this a spec home the builder has completed? Or something you are going to have built for you?

If you are having it built, you'll want a phase inspection. Typically a 3 phase inspection: foundation, pre-drywall, and then finished. These will be done by your local building inspector as well....but good for you to have your own hired inspector look at it.

If it's a spec already built, just a standard inspection like any other property.