Relocating to Ft Belvoir, VA

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
bmg7c9

Relocating to Ft Belvoir, VA

Post by bmg7c9 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:48 pm

I’m in the military and being sent to Belvoir soon. I’m going to be moving myself and my pregnant wife out there with me. Any advice on which areas are good to live in or which areas I definitely need to avoid moving my family into? Thanks

BL

Re: Relocating to Ft Belvoir, VA

Post by BL » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:45 am

Perhaps if you give more information, you will make it easier for folks to make suggestions. Things like family size, need for schools, available post housing, and lots more should help. It is too long ago since we lived there to be of much help, but lived on post on two different occasions.

Topic Author
bmg7c9

Post by bmg7c9 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:30 am

It is just me and my wife and the baby in her belly. She is due early September. She will also be working while we are there, but will take a few months of maternity leave. However, we will need infant daycare once she's run out of maternity leave. My wife's work location will be right across from Bren Mar Park on Edsall Road in Alexandria, VA. I assume I will be working mostly out of Davison AAF as I am a pilot. I've been in contact with The Villages on Belvoir and we are still on the waiting list for housing. So I've begun to look for off post housing. My BAH will be based on my HOR of MIssouri since they are not PCSing us out there even though we will be there for at least 9 - 12 months. Therefore, when it comes to off base housing I would like to save money as a lot of it will be out of my own pocket, but I also don't want my wife or infant living in a bad neighborhood. Neither me nor my wife are high maintenance people. The main thing is a safe location and we are considering driving time to each one of our work locations. I know driving times in this area vary greatly based on the time of day. I would like my wife's driving time to be about 20 minutes or less. I would prefer to be closer to my work location than hers since she will have 3 months of maternity leave while we are there.

Rager1

Post by Rager1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:48 am

I recommend that you checkout www.militarybyowner.com

Many military folks moving to the DC area use that site for housing.

Ed

feehater

Post by feehater » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:55 am

If you're planning on using the CDCs, you might want to call around and get on their waitlists now. And possibly pick your housing based on which one you think you might use.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:04 am

Well one of my neighbors works there...were are in Burke/Springfield area. I get there every year for the Ocktoberfest we have a little band. I am under the impression the active military lives inside the base, but don't quote me on that, I do not really know where they are all living.

PS- welcome and see you there!

almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:18 am

If you can afford it, something in or near Lorton will fit the bill. My wife and I lived in a development called Saratoga just north of Lorton for 25 years. The older I've gotten the more I value a short commute ..... I would strive to stay north of the Occonquan if financially feasible.

A

Topic Author
bmg7c9

Post by bmg7c9 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:38 pm

The place I'm considering is on Bluebird Way in Lorton for several reasons. 2 bed 2 bath, ground level, negotiable lease term, 2 parking spaces, and reasonable rent compared to many other places. I second guessed it once i saw the street view on google. Wasn't terrible but I guess what I'd expect for $1725 a month in that area. Where I live in MO we pay $450 for a 2 bed 1 bath.

Dontridetheindexdown

Post by Dontridetheindexdown » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm familiar with that complex, a friend of mine owns a townhouse there.

You are not going to do any better if you want to live close to both your jobs.

On the other hand, I do hope you can get base housing on Belvoir.

Also, be sure to pay Fairfax County $23/year for the County windshield stickers for your out of state registration plates.

Active military, you can keep your Missouri plates forever, but you need that County sticker to avoid fines and towing within 30 days of moving in.

You can PM me if you like, served a few years on Belvoir.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:24 pm

I can't help you with housing as the last time I set foot on Ft. Belvoir was 36 years ago. But, be sure to check out the view from the back porch of the Officer's Club. It may be the most relaxing spot I ever found on an Army post.

warner25

Post by warner25 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:14 pm

How is this not a PCS move? It sounds like you're getting screwed on entitlements. Fixing that would be my top priority.

If it's not a PCS move, can you even be eligible for on-post housing? Maybe in the flat-rate neighborhoods. The officer housing had very long waiting lists as of a couple years ago, and it's my understanding that many people accepted a flat-rate house temporarily while waiting for an officer house to become available.

Topic Author
bmg7c9

Post by bmg7c9 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:50 pm

I agree. Not sure why it’s not a PCS move. But I’m use to getting screwed over after 13 years in the national guard. They did however mention that we’d be getting per diem beings there is not a chow hall that’s going to support feeding us?? Just what we’ve been told. If that’s the case then the per diem alone will make up the difference in BAH. I’ll just be out the moving cost. That’s worth it to me having my pregnant wife there with me

Dontridetheindexdown

Post by Dontridetheindexdown » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:27 pm

If your wife is using military treatment facilities (MTF) for healthcare, Fort Belvoir Community Hospital (formerly Dewitt) is among the best facilities I have utilized (been utilizing military healthcare since 1970).

Aged out of MTF when Medicare started, but still use Belvoir for pharmacy (their Dumfries facility is 45 miles north of me) and worth the round-trip.

Army Medical on Belvoir is as good as it gets!

Your Belvoir tour will be a lot different, culturally, than anywhere else in the military, but it will also expand your professional and personal network in many ways.

I hope you enjoy the tour!

Hitchcock_Fan

Post by Hitchcock_Fan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:10 pm

bmg7c9 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:38 pm
The place I'm considering is on Bluebird Way in Lorton for several reasons. 2 bed 2 bath, ground level, negotiable lease term, 2 parking spaces, and reasonable rent compared to many other places. I second guessed it once i saw the street view on google. Wasn't terrible but I guess what I'd expect for $1725 a month in that area. Where I live in MO we pay $450 for a 2 bed 1 bath.
Lorton is great for commuting to Ft. Belvoir. Your wife's commute to Edsall won't be horrible either. I totally agree with the other person that said to stay north of Occoquan for traffic purposes (but housing is less expensive further south you go with longer commute being the tradeoff). Good thing about Ft. Belvoir is nice commissary, PX, gyms, hospital, etc.. Plus you have easy access to most of the DC area from Lorton. Plenty of restaurants, shopping, parks, and public transportation near Lorton. Nice area unless congestion is an issue for you or your wife.

renegade06

Post by renegade06 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:12 am

Welcome! I'd take a look at the Kingstowne section of Alexandria. You can easily get right on base and it sounds like she would have a quick commute. There are plenty of townhouses in the area. If you want a SFH, Springfield is close by

Topic Author
bmg7c9

Post by bmg7c9 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Update: Got accepted and moved onto base housing. Thanks for all the words of wisdom.