Should my wife and I cancel our Whole Life Insurance policies?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
TheHCInvestor

Should my wife and I cancel our Whole Life Insurance policies?

Post by TheHCInvestor » Thu May 30, 2019 7:50 pm

My wife and I purchased Whole Life Insurance in less than a year ago at the recommendation of our financial advisor and we are thinking we may have made a mistake. I am 31, she is 35 and we just had our first child earlier this year. Together, our pre-tax income is at $153k. My premium is $9k per year while hers is around $6k. We already have 20-year term life insurance. A big part of our why we bought into WL was to save for our child's college education. After doing more research now I feel pretty embarassed about that.

Would it be best to just cut our losses at this point, chalk this up to an expensive lesson, and invest our money for college savings into something else like a 529? Our combined surrender value is less than $1k, but I was told it may be possible to recover some of the unearned premiums.

indexfund56

Re: Should my wife and I cancel our Whole Life Insurance policies?

Post by indexfund56 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:36 pm

TheHCInvestor wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:50 pm
My wife and I purchased Whole Life Insurance in less than a year ago at the recommendation of our financial advisor and we are thinking we may have made a mistake. I am 31, she is 35 and we just had our first child earlier this year. Together, our pre-tax income is at $153k. My premium is $9k per year while hers is around $6k. We already have 20-year term life insurance. A big part of our why we bought into WL was to save for our child's college education. After doing more research now I feel pretty embarassed about that.

Would it be best to just cut our losses at this point, chalk this up to an expensive lesson, and invest our money for college savings into something else like a 529? Our combined surrender value is less than $1k, but I was told it may be possible to recover some of the unearned premiums.
Yes, I would cancel immediately and consider it a lesson learned.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu May 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Yes. Definitely.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Thu May 30, 2019 8:38 pm

Hopefully, a part of your lesson learned should be to fire your financial advisor.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

bayview

Post by bayview » Thu May 30, 2019 8:45 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Did you see this stickied post at the top of the board?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57154
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Topic Author
TheHCInvestor

Post by TheHCInvestor » Thu May 30, 2019 8:49 pm

bayview wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:45 pm
Welcome to the forums!

Yes, I did. I wasn't sure if it actually meant these types of threads are prohibited or not. Just wanted to get confirmation on our specific situation as canceling the policy is a huge deal and big decision for us. I apologize if this was not supposed to be posted.

bayview

Post by bayview » Thu May 30, 2019 8:55 pm

TheHCInvestor wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:49 pm
bayview wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

Yes, I did. I wasn't sure if it actually meant these types of threads are prohibited or not. Just wanted to get confirmation on our specific situation as canceling the policy is a huge deal and big decision for us. I apologize if this was not supposed to be posted.
Oh no, no; I’m sorry; I didn’t mean that at all! I just didn’t know that you had seen that discussion.

Glad that you discovered the dirty side of these things before you got too deeply invested. It can be hard to undo things once a lot of money has been drained. :beer
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Topic Author
TheHCInvestor

Post by TheHCInvestor » Thu May 30, 2019 9:01 pm

bayview wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:55 pm
TheHCInvestor wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:49 pm
bayview wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

Oh no, no; I’m sorry; I didn’t mean that at all! I just didn’t know that you had seen that discussion.

Glad that you discovered the dirty side of these things before you got too deeply invested. It can be hard to undo things once a lot of money has been drained. :beer

Thanks! Definitely appreciate the responses.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:14 pm

I'm sorry you were scammed by the insurance salesman with the ole' save for college using whole life insurance. It's sad but yes cancel.

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 pm

TheHCInvestor wrote:
My wife and I purchased Whole Life Insurance in less than a year ago at the recommendation of our financial advisor ...
Was he/she a financial advisor or an insurance agent?

Topic Author
TheHCInvestor

Post by TheHCInvestor » Thu May 30, 2019 9:33 pm

bsteiner wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 pm
TheHCInvestor wrote:
My wife and I purchased Whole Life Insurance in less than a year ago at the recommendation of our financial advisor ...
Financial advisor.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu May 30, 2019 9:36 pm

TheHCInvestor wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:33 pm
bsteiner wrote:
TheHCInvestor wrote:
Financial advisor.
Anyone can call themselves a finical adviser

bayview

Post by bayview » Thu May 30, 2019 9:38 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:36 pm
TheHCInvestor wrote:
bsteiner wrote:
TheHCInvestor wrote:
Financial advisor.
+1

The magic question that we must all learn to ask is: are you acting for me in a fiduciary capacity?

In other words, is their ultimate goal to make you money, or to make themselves money?

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu May 30, 2019 9:55 pm

TheHCInvestor:

This article in U.S. News will help answer your question:

3 Reasons to Avoid Life Insurance Policies for College Savings

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley » Thu May 30, 2019 9:58 pm

I remember the weird feeling of my term life guy, immediately (within seconds) upon signature of that policy, pitching that I convert it to whole life for college-related purposes, something about sheltering for financial aid. Made no sense to me, fortunately I passed as I knew term was what I was shopping for, but I didn't recognize him as a vulture until later after I learned more.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Thu May 30, 2019 10:03 pm

bayview wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:38 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
TheHCInvestor wrote:
bsteiner wrote:
TheHCInvestor wrote:
Financial advisor.
+1

The magic question that we must all learn to ask is: are you acting for me in a fiduciary capacity?

In other words, is their ultimate goal to make you money, or to make themselves money?
+1

And can you overcome the average 2.3 to 2.8% all in expenses of a managed account with managed funds.
You can increase that for whole life policies to over 3.3% inside a managed account.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu May 30, 2019 10:11 pm

bayview wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
TheHCInvestor wrote:
bsteiner wrote:
TheHCInvestor wrote:
Financial advisor.
+1

That's not enough. They must be fiduciary all the time, every time... Or as my friend's ex-adviser said when asked, sometimes they are are fiduciary.

bayview

Post by bayview » Thu May 30, 2019 10:14 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:11 pm
bayview wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
TheHCInvestor wrote:
bsteiner wrote:

Financial advisor.
+1

That's not enough. They must be fiduciary all the time, every time... Or as my friend's ex-adviser said when asked, sometimes they are are fiduciary.
Geeze. I often wonder how people face themselves in the mirror each morning when they shave/ apply makeup.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:55 pm

At those costs for each of you, I would definitely cancel both policies. Then immediately turn around and consider purchasing term life insurance for each of you and for a period of time that is appropriate. Off the top of my head I would say a 30-year term policy is more appropriate than a 20-year term policy. You say you had your first child earlier this year so a 20-year policy would not even take the child through college should something happen to either one of you. What the probability of more children over what period of time? Your insurances should cover any such period of time and until they are out of your home on their own. I believe it would be cheaper to buy a longer term policy now than to have to take another policy out in 20 years at your age at that time.

Believe me (personal experience speaking), don't buy whole life, universal life, or anything else other than term life for the period of time you need it. And be sure to cover your wife as well as yourself. Mothers need to be insured as well.
Tom D.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri May 31, 2019 6:35 am

tomd37 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:55 pm
At those costs for each of you, I would definitely cancel both policies. Then immediately turn around and consider purchasing term life insurance for each of you and for a period of time that is appropriate. Off the top of my head I would say a 30-year term policy is more appropriate than a 20-year term policy. You say you had your first child earlier this year so a 20-year policy would not even take the child through college should something happen to either one of you. What the probability of more children over what period of time? Your insurances should cover any such period of time and until they are out of your home on their own. I believe it would be cheaper to buy a longer term policy now than to have to take another policy out in 20 years at your age at that time.

Believe me (personal experience speaking), don't buy whole life, universal life, or anything else other than term life for the period of time you need it. And be sure to cover your wife as well as yourself. Mothers need to be insured as well.
+1

The bad news is - this bogus "financial advisor" cost you $15,000.

The good news is - you've recognized your mistake pretty quickly, and avoided paying more years of premiums at $15k per year.

Drop the whole life. Drop the "financial advisor". Right now.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Fri May 31, 2019 7:30 am

Yes, cancel your policies. I'm sorry your financial advisor recommended the policies, but I'm glad you have found BH. The next step is to keep educating yourself on finances, including passive index fund investing. We use Vanguard's 529 fund for college savings.

I've told this story before, but I think it's a good one. When my wife and I were just starting out, still living in an apartment but preparing to buy a house and begin our family, we signed up to purchase whole life insurance policies for both of us, subject to a credit check. The insurance company hired Experian to do the check, and Experian sent an agent to our apartment building to interview us. I guess we weren't home, or maybe they intended to ask our neighbors about us, but they ended up interviewing a divorced man who lived across the hall, with his young adult son sharing his apartment.

About a week later, while I was at work, my young, newly married wife got a phone call from our insurance agent saying he was sorry but he would not be able to sell us the whole life policies because Experian reported we were not actually married and, in fact, I was living with another man!

My wife was in tears, but we dodged a bullet. We never did buy whole life insurance.

student

Post by student » Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 am

Not only should you get rid of the while life insurance policies, you should get rid of the financial advisor who recommended it.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Fri May 31, 2019 8:11 am

The only addition I would make is to research your situation to determine whether you wish to add more term insurance. If so, you may want to obtain that first if there are recent health changes that could affect obtaining additional insurance.

Tim

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri May 31, 2019 8:16 am

TheHCInvestor wrote:

Yes I would cancel both.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 am

student wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 am
Not only should you get rid of the while life insurance policies, you should get rid of the financial advisor who recommended it.
This!

You could ask what he's doing with the $1200 commission he's received so far from your "investment". It's not yet at the level to buy a BMW, which would have been the case had you pre-paid the policy.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

BL

Post by BL » Fri May 31, 2019 8:28 am

Check term4sale.com or a local INDEPENDENT insurance agent to have them shop around various companies for term insurance.
Might want to do that now. When is next payment due?

Also time to figure out the costs of your financial advisor. Fees, fund ERs and his 12b-1 cut, and/or loads all add up to costs that you pay on top of the poor advice (permanent insurance).

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:27 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 am
student wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 am
This!

You could ask what he's doing with the $1200 commission he's received so far from your "investment". It's not yet at the level to buy a BMW, which would have been the case had you pre-paid the policy.
Yes, get rid of the FA!

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Fri May 31, 2019 10:34 am

Get rid of the insurance and get rid of your financial advisor. He is not looking out for your best interests.

fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce » Fri May 31, 2019 10:56 pm

I'm surprised no one has recommended a 1035 exchange to a Vanguard VA. Is that just because with the surrender value being so low (10% of the premiums), it would take too long for the balance to grow 10x back to basis?

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:02 am

TheHCInvestor wrote:

Seeing that you have held these for such a short time, I would just cancel the policies. Make certain you have enough term insurance. Objective isn't to make the surviving spouse rich but to give a few years breathing room. That way no pressure to remarry right away.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:20 pm

fyre4ce wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:56 pm
I'm surprised no one has recommended a 1035 exchange to a Vanguard VA. Is that just because with the surrender value being so low (10% of the premiums), it would take too long for the balance to grow 10x back to basis?
Yes, it would be a long time to recover back to basis.

In this case, probably not worth OP's effort.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

KandT

Post by KandT » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:29 pm

[/quote]

Oh that's kinda like your spouse "Sometimes I am faithful." :D :D Like when there are no opportunities!!

Yes cancel your whole life but keep saving that $15K!!!!