A book reccommendation .......please?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
parigi723

A book reccommendation .......please?

Post by parigi723 » Thu May 30, 2019 12:01 pm

Hello everyone:
I had such a bad experience with a lawyer that I have decided to write my own will,even though it might not be a proper one.
Do you happen to know of a publication that I might request from my library and see the steps to follow? and also the rules
of the state of Florida?Many thanks as always for your input,parigi

life in slices

Re: A book reccommendation .......please?

Post by life in slices » Thu May 30, 2019 12:15 pm

There are companies like Legalzoom that allows you to do your own will online if that is of interest

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu May 30, 2019 12:17 pm

Use an online tool such as offered by LegalZoom. You will also need a Living Will, Durable Power of Attorney and Healthcare Surrogate.

DO NOT buy a book and do these by hand yourself.

Cheers

Rager1

Post by Rager1 » Thu May 30, 2019 12:19 pm

Nolo is another source that might give you what you are looking for.

https://store.nolo.com/products/

Ed

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 pm

I second Nolo press. You can get their books on wills, trusts, estate planning at any library or quite cheaply from their website or Amazon. And they offer DIY legal software. Do not just get out scratch paper and free hand this, a little $$ and proper software, follow the directions. I have personally done my will and trust this way (simple circumstances) after having regretted the thousands I spend years ago on a now-obsolete trust I had to negate/kill completely (things changed).
Even for people who need a lawyer for complex situations, I believe that reading about it first will educate you for much less and allow you to make really good use of your lawyer's time!
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Thu May 30, 2019 12:27 pm

We had a bad experience with a lawyer too (doing our wills, overcharged for a draft FULL of mistakes, bad advice).

I agree you should read up on wills and know what you need. But I also like having an expert on something as important as wills. It took some time and asking around, but my excellent tax accountant recommended someone and he's a GREAT lawyer-----feet-on-the-ground guy who gave us valuable advice, charged a very fair (low!) fee, and produced a draft with one teeny typo in a name and had the witness standing by when we went in to sign the final. Efficient, trustworthy, and a community-minded guy too. So happy we now have a reliable lawyer on our team----when you actually need one is just when you don't want to start looking.

Good luck.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

bryanm

Post by bryanm » Thu May 30, 2019 12:34 pm

Sorry you had a bad experience.

I think the one thing most people don't consider enough in legal matters is cost vs. downside risk. Legally speaking, wills are tricky. There is a reason lawyers are able to charge what they charge to prepare them. However, you really only get into the legal weeds with large estates or combative relations. You should weigh the size of your estate and the changes for argument by your heirs vs. the cost of a lawyer. The lawyer will give the best changes of getting it right, but if it costs you $10k to set up a will for a $100k estate and one heir, that might not be worth it. If you have a multi-million dollar estate and litigious heirs, hire a lawyer. (Find one that will be a better experience than your last.)

There is a huge gradient in will complexity. At one end, you could hand-write a note that says "I leave all my worldly possessions to my son, Bob Doe," sign it, have two people witness and sign it, and give it to Bob. Would that hold up? Maybe. (I don't practice Florida law.) Would it do what you need it to do? Maybe not. Legalzoom or the like is likely better than doing it yourself, and almost certainly not as a good as hiring a lawyer. Balance cost v. benefit to find the right approach for you.

(Not legal advice.)