Fun paid jobs after FIRE

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Fun paid jobs after FIRE

Post by Wannaretireearly » Wed May 29, 2019 12:06 am

I can dream of FIRE. Hopefully over the next 10 years.

What kind of fun (paid) job do you have after FIRE?

I'm just looking for ideas, and would want to frame the question to paid work only.

I think the characteristics I would like are:
1. Minimal/Flexible hours.
2. Local/no freeway
3. Perhaps transient. Can leave for months if needed.
4. People oriented
5. Ideally not in front of a computer ( done that already ;)
6. Work or product I have interest in

Ideas I have seen locally: wine taster/helper at total wine and more. Helper at local hardware store. Perhaps teaching at local community college (I've posted on that idea before I think...)

Any case, for this post, I'm more interested in other people's FUN jobs (current or planned), including their criteria/characteristics.

The $ are obviously not a major consideration after FIRE. If it helps, let's say this job aids with health insurance or pocket spending money. I.e. the main consideration for this job is the fun and social factor.

:sharebeer
Buy Low, Sell High

Scrapr

Re: Fun paid jobs after FIRE

Post by Scrapr » Wed May 29, 2019 12:12 am

well not "fun" per se....but I was walking into my truck mechanic this morning. I look over at the employee parking and don't recognize one car there. I ask the mechanic by the door. Wow...who's black BMW is that there. He sez...the new clean up/parts runner guy

hmmm...as Jack Benny said..I'm thinking

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed May 29, 2019 12:25 am

When I retired, I stopped working for money. There are plenty of interesting jobs that are not paid and are very rewarding that meet the criteria you listed. The FI part of FIRE means I can do those without getting compensated.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Wed May 29, 2019 12:40 am

jebmke wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:25 am
When I retired, I stopped working for money. There are plenty of interesting jobs that are not paid and are very rewarding that meet the criteria you listed. The FI part of FIRE means I can do those without getting compensated.
Care to share the jobs you did? Thanks.
Buy Low, Sell High

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed May 29, 2019 12:52 am

Wannaretireearly wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:40 am
jebmke wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:25 am
Care to share the jobs you did? Thanks.
I work for a non-profit doing tax preparation for people who cannot afford to go to a paid preparer. I also provide management advisory services to a local non-profit that provides services to senior citizens.

For three years I worked in the field for Audubon doing survey work - making observations of bird species and compiling data for scientific study. That project ended after three years. I really like that job because it was mostly outside.
Last edited by jebmke on Wed May 29, 2019 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed May 29, 2019 12:54 am

There are no "jobs" after FIRE. If you have a job, you aren't FIRE'd. Sure, you can have one or many hobbies. If your idea of a hobby is to put on a fancy red vest and play the "expert" at ACE, then more power to you! :beer
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Wed May 29, 2019 1:05 am

FIREchief wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:54 am
There are no "jobs" after FIRE. If you have a job, you aren't FIRE'd. Sure, you can have one or many hobbies. If your idea of a hobby is to put on a fancy red vest and play the "expert" at ACE, then more power to you! :beer
Many people don't agree with this. For many, FIRE means you have the freedom to choose what to do, including paid work or starting a business. You're just not tied financially to a job.

visualguy

Post by visualguy » Wed May 29, 2019 1:28 am

mariezzz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:05 am
FIREchief wrote:
Many people don't agree with this. For many, FIRE means you have the freedom to choose what to do, including paid work or starting a business. You're just not tied financially to a job.
In that case it's a misnomer because the "Retire" part is missing. If anyone who is FI and switches jobs or professions is "FIRE", then it's meaningless. Why not just call it FISH (Financially Independent Still Hustling)?

Lucky Lemon

Post by Lucky Lemon » Wed May 29, 2019 1:31 am

Do some flight instruction - probably only add-on ratings and endorsements.

Do some work in the restoration shop of the local aircraft museum. Maybe also be a docent at the same museum.

Only the flight instruction will pay any cash.

LL
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Wed May 29, 2019 1:38 am

I am not sure mine is "fun" for all but it is for me. I am a part-time courier (local only), company small car. All I do is drive around and deliver stuff. All the while I am listening to talk radio (either sports/politics) which is what I would be doing anyway at home. I generally drop off stuff and don't interact with a lot of folks except to say hello.

What I like about it are a couple of things.

1) I am seeing inside of some businesses I never knew anything about. I like that as I am naturally curious.
2) I get to listen to sports/politics talk shows, which I would be doing anyway but I get a little cash to do it.
3) It is part-time and very low/no stress. I am not timed on these deliveries, they only care that you deliver safely.
4) Still have plenty of time to do what I want.
5) No weekends or holidays, so that is nice.

Morthead

Post by Morthead » Wed May 29, 2019 4:48 am

My DW and I were able to quit both of our jobs last year after years of saving and investing. We had adopted many of the boglehead tenets without knowing of this site. After finding this amazing group of folks, we proceeded by posting our situation, educating ourselves and firing our advisor and taking control of our finances.
After all of that, we realized we were in a position of “Financial Independence “ meaning we could look for work that offered rewards other than strictly monetary. We had “hit our number”, we had health care locked in and were debt free. I, for one, was not ready to quit working altogether, I just wanted to get back to doing what I loved doing, which was flying.
I researched the available options out there and made a few inquiries which resulted in getting a job flying tourists to their resorts in seaplanes. Some of the reasons we chose this particular job:
1. Flexible schedules are available for expats. Including summers off. I work winter months to get out of the snow and ice and then we return home in the spring to spend time with family unencumbered by the need to work.
2. Company paid travel to and from our US domecile.
3. Paid health insurance (in addition to our retirement insurance)
4. Paid housing.
5. The ability to learn a new culture and live among other expats from around the world.
6. The location is a great jumping off point for low-cost exploring of other areas of the world during weekly breaks.
7. Some of the worlds best diving and snorkeling locations right outside our door.

I’m sure this lifestyle is not for everyone, we both could have stayed in our respective jobs and just continued to sock away for an eventual retirement, but we were both very much ready for a change. Being FI allowed us to take that leap to ask ourselves “If I could do anything I wanted, what would it be?”, we just didn’t feel the need to complete the RE side of the acronym just yet.

sgt

Post by sgt » Wed May 29, 2019 5:43 am

I work as a member of the boathouse staff at my township’s park. The job is seasonal and part-time.
  • Minimal/Flexible hours – Yes. The boathouse manager is very accommodating with schedule.
  • Local/No Freeway – Yes. I live 10 minutes away by car from the park.
  • Transient – Not sure if months away would be accommodated.
  • People oriented – Yes. Very. Constant interaction with the public who rent the sailboats, canoes, kayaks, peddle boats, and Jon boats.
  • Computer - No.
So far I find the job very fun; however, it is somewhat more physical and demanding than I expected. For example, hosing down with water and scrubbing the peddle boats, lifting 40 pound batteries into and out of the Jon boats for trolling motor many times, rigging and launching the sailboats, lifting the canoes and kayaks from and onto racks, constant movement (bending, kneeling, walking) outside under sun, high temperature and humidity, etc.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed May 29, 2019 6:35 am

Scrapr wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:12 am
well not "fun" per se....but I was walking into my truck mechanic this morning. I look over at the employee parking and don't recognize one car there. I ask the mechanic by the door. Wow...who's black BMW is that there. He sez...the new clean up/parts runner guy

hmmm...as Jack Benny said..I'm thinking
They charge too much, run.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:44 am

Seems like starting and monetizing a blog to tell people how awesome FIRE is is the FIRE career of choice.

Best of all you can do it from your couch.

You can even go on the FIRE retreats and meet all the other FIRE people!

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed May 29, 2019 6:58 am

Bloggers have been selling the FIRE things to entice people to visit their websites to make money. I read many of them. I can see that some of them are WORKING very hard to do just that. (I can coach you for FIRE. Please subscribe. Buy my books. Use this finance product to manage your money, etc.)

I have had a fun job teaching at a university after getting my PhD 21 years ago. I was planning to be a volunteer for all the fun. But they insisted on paying me at a market rate salary. So I have retired early without financial independence without knowing it.

23mako

Post by 23mako » Wed May 29, 2019 7:13 am

I have always wanted to teach personal finance to people when I take that step. And also work at the local fishing tackle store! :D

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 am

visualguy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:28 am
mariezzz wrote:
FIREchief wrote:
In that case it's a misnomer because the "Retire" part is missing. If anyone who is FI and switches jobs or professions is "FIRE", then it's meaningless. Why not just call it FISH (Financially Independent Still Hustling)?
Just call it semi-retired. If you call it FIRE, the retirement police on this board will call you out.
I don't invest looking in the rear view mirror and I know absolutely nothing about the future.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Wed May 29, 2019 7:49 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:44 am
Seems like starting and monetizing a blog to tell people how awesome FIRE is is the FIRE career of choice.

LMAO!
I don't invest looking in the rear view mirror and I know absolutely nothing about the future.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed May 29, 2019 7:51 am

lostdog wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 am
visualguy wrote:
mariezzz wrote:
FIREchief wrote:
Just call it semi-retired. If you call it FIRE, the retirement police on this board will call you out.
Exactly.

All you've done is trade one (paid) job for another.

- Ron

Chip

Post by Chip » Wed May 29, 2019 7:52 am

I know some golfers who work at local golf courses. They get free golf. Some are also paid, some are volunteers. That probably depends on how much they work and how unpleasant the work is.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Wed May 29, 2019 7:57 am

Saw a local guy who owned a local business, he eventually sold it and retired.

Works as a dog walker (he rides his bike with the dogs) and a bike mechanic/sales at a local shop.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed May 29, 2019 7:57 am

You could volunteer at Big Cat Rescue.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:01 am

Morthead wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:48 am
My DW and I were able to quit both of our jobs last year after years of saving and investing. We had adopted many of the boglehead tenets without knowing of this site. After finding this amazing group of folks, we proceeded by posting our situation, educating ourselves and firing our advisor and taking control of our finances.
After all of that, we realized we were in a position of “Financial Independence “ meaning we could look for work that offered rewards other than strictly monetary. We had “hit our number”, we had health care locked in and were debt free. I, for one, was not ready to quit working altogether, I just wanted to get back to doing what I loved doing, which was flying.
I researched the available options out there and made a few inquiries which resulted in getting a job flying tourists to their resorts in seaplanes. Some of the reasons we chose this particular job:
1. Flexible schedules are available for expats. Including summers off. I work winter months to get out of the snow and ice and then we return home in the spring to spend time with family unencumbered by the need to work.
2. Company paid travel to and from our US domecile.
3. Paid health insurance (in addition to our retirement insurance)
4. Paid housing.
5. The ability to learn a new culture and live among other expats from around the world.
6. The location is a great jumping off point for low-cost exploring of other areas of the world during weekly breaks.
7. Some of the worlds best diving and snorkeling locations right outside our door.

I’m sure this lifestyle is not for everyone, we both could have stayed in our respective jobs and just continued to sock away for an eventual retirement, but we were both very much ready for a change. Being FI allowed us to take that leap to ask ourselves “If I could do anything I wanted, what would it be?”, we just didn’t feel the need to complete the RE side of the acronym just yet.
This sounds absolutely awesome. I always dream about moving to the Keys and starting a snorkel/dive charter. Don't really care about the money....just don't want to lose $ on any endeaver. So maybe working "for," a charter would be better.

I've also thought about signing up on sailboat crews. Across the world, sailboat owners are looking for crew. Paid or unpaid positions. I could do that....sometimes they are short 2 or 3 week stints or longer months.

MJS

Post by MJS » Wed May 29, 2019 8:02 am

Sometimes it's hard to get past who you were to who you could be. So, consider taking some of those fun quizzes about "what do you want to do when you grow up" or a more serious test such as the Strong Interest Inventory. Use them as tools for asking new questions ... and getting some insight into what you think is fun, interesting and worthwhile.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:04 am

Andyrunner wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:57 am
Saw a local guy who owned a local business, he eventually sold it and retired.

Works as a dog walker (he rides his bike with the dogs) and a bike mechanic/sales at a local shop.
There's a younger dog walker in a nice 1500 house neighborhood near me. He pulls $50,000/year walking dogs in that area.

X528

Post by X528 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:05 am

What about volunteering? Work does not have to be paid.

One could volunteer help at an animal rescue.

rikki

Post by rikki » Wed May 29, 2019 8:19 am

I work as a long term care ombudsman for my local agency on aging.
Every state has an ombudsman program; some are volunteer with travel expenses only ($0.58/mile) and some are paid. I also volunteer at my local food pantry. Both are satisfying and take about a half day a week.

OP, your stated desire to be able to work only SOME of the year might be a limiting factor as many volunteer positions come with an expectation of unbroken service. My training to become a state ombudsman came with the explicit expectation that I would commit to at least a full year of service. Many of my fellow ombuds have been doing the position for 5-10 years.

I considered part time employment after retirement, such as working in a garden center or helping a caterer during "busy" season of weddings, but realized that I lacked the right attitude to be an employee! Volunteer work just feels different, and more forgiving, than paid employment.

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Wed May 29, 2019 8:19 am

I got a seasonal part time job at National Home Improvement chain with a great rep for quality in Garden Center. I have shopped there for years so sensed the culture and saw that people of similar age hired. I'm in my 2nd week and I LOVE it. I get to walk around and help people make their lawns/gardens/homes more beautiful. A bit of pent up demand in my area after the long winter, so lots of excited customers recently. I was in MegaCorp IT and I did not want a job sitting, I did 15,000 steps one day over the weekend.

A former colleague of mine got a PT job as a testing proctor. He really likes it and they have openings but would have required freeways/major constructions/traffic jams for me.

SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan » Wed May 29, 2019 8:23 am

Just spoke with a childhood friend who has “retired” from a job in public health. He now works as a customer service rep for an airline at his local smallish airport. He is enjoying the travel perks with his wife, who is also retired. When I asked him about dealing with irate customers, he said it’s much easier than handling a staff of 132 and budget issues.

After retiring as a teacher, my brother volunteered as part of a street tree planting team in his community. He is now one of the paid staffers. He likes being outdoors and the hours are limited (although he does work almost every Saturday).

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 am

Little league umpire.

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Wed May 29, 2019 9:35 am

MJS wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:02 am
Sometimes it's hard to get past who you were to who you could be. So, consider taking some of those fun quizzes about "what do you want to do when you grow up" or a more serious test such as the Strong Interest Inventory. Use them as tools for asking new questions ... and getting some insight into what you think is fun, interesting and worthwhile.
Some years ago a friend of mine moved from accounting to secondary and then to higher, ed. They used What Color Is Your Parachute? to get started and recommend it for career changers. Not sure how well it would work for those seeking part-time work and/or past the usual age for job seeking.

I'm in higher ed also and part-time but would consider a change. If I could bring in 25K or so and have just enough flexibility to keep up with my real work (scholarship is an expensive hobby) that would be very interesting. I get the idea also unlikely, but suggestions to follow up on would be appreciated.

Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 am

visualguy wrote:
mariezzz wrote:
FIREchief wrote:
Lol call it what we want. You get the idea
Buy Low, Sell High

Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 am

Jags4186 wrote:

I like this! Fire retreats...is that a real thing? Sounds like where bogleheads would go to retreat. Guaranteed to not cost too much ;)
Buy Low, Sell High

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 am

one of my clients works summer only for the local parks dept. There are strict hours though but its basically a fun job.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:57 am

Wannaretireearly wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 am
Jags4186 wrote:

I like this! Fire retreats...is that a real thing? Sounds like where bogleheads would go to retreat. Guaranteed to not cost too much ;)
Oh yes. You certainly need to start exploring the community.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:57 am

My wife and I would both enjoy working for the National Park Service after retirement. I've also heard that serving as a campground host at National Parks and National Forests can be fun.

I wouldn't be surprised if we also wind up working for some organization like Habitat for Humanity after retirement, although that's obviously not paid.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

siamond

Post by siamond » Wed May 29, 2019 10:01 am

After early retiring, I did a couple of expert witness gigs. Very lucrative, interesting, very flexible time-wise, but can become stressful (trial time). Nice thing is that this is about PAST knowledge (eg 10/15 years old patents), so you don’t need to stay current with your field of expertise...

I played around acting as a fishing guide for kids, but I didn’t like the pressure you have to deliver - now I just do it for free, and more occasionally.

Then I do a few volunteering activities related to fishing and personal finances, but there is no income.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:02 am

It seems that many of ski instructors or ski lift operators are FIRE. On my last trip I rode the lift with a retired corporate attorney in her 50s who works part time in that capacity for a free ski pass and for the social interaction, plus she said the money isn't bad. Another ski instructor I met does that in the winter and leads snorkeling excursions somewhere else in the world in the summer and bounces around in between to visit family and travel. Those types of active jobs seem like a very appealing FIRE job. You can probably also expense your travel and gear if you set it all up properly.

The woman who owns my yoga studio here in Dallas lives in Bali half the year. Her studio is managed by employees, and she is FIRE'd (though I doubt she'd recognize that term). She leads a few 1-2 week yoga retreats per year from Bali through her studio, and as a result she can write off her international business travel back and forth to America as well as lots of supplies and her local villa staff wages (which she'd pay anyway) as well as her food and excursions during the retreats of course. Plus she likes teaching yoga. Ideal FIRE life if you ask me (assuming you're into that of course).
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed May 29, 2019 10:10 am

I teach martial arts at a local college.

If it was about the money, I wouldn’t bother. I don’t make enough to pay for my gym membership.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:12 am

I can't remember how many times I've heard this in a social event:
"I am retired, I now drive school bus for the county/city."

As for myself, I have another idea. My megacorp has this woman comes by a couple times a week to water the outdoor plans on campus. She drives a smallish pickup truck that holds a water tank on the flatbed. All she does is going to different sites and repeat the same task. Every time I see her, she is always humming a song under her breath and looking very relaxed.

Being an outdoorsy person myself, this looks like a prefect retirement job. It gets me outside doing things such as jumping up/down the truck, pulling the hose to strengthen the muscle and get paid $12/hour.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed May 29, 2019 10:14 am

greg24 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 am
Little league umpire.
+1 I'd consider doing some youth soccer refereeing for fun. I can't imagine one would do primarily it for the $13-30/game the local youth soccer association pays.

What I expect to do is look for opportunities to teach English. I have an undergraduate degree in linguistics, and I've studied a half dozen languages myself. And in college, part of my job one summer with the local Jewish federation was teaching English to Russian refugees. That was so much fun. I wouldn't care whether I made a lot of money doing it. I just think language classes are fun, whether I'm the student or the teacher.

If we wanted to supplement our income in retirement, my wife and I could also do some seasonal tax preparation work. She's a CPA, and I'm an attorney with a master's in tax. But I don't think either of us would do that for fun. :beer

BigMoneyNoWhammies

Post by BigMoneyNoWhammies » Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 am

FIREchief wrote:
+1

This is a huge pet peeve of mine, when people talk about part-time employment after FIRE. If you're gainfully employed, you aren't retired. That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being financially independent enough to stop the full time rat race and then wanting to take on more leisurely part-time employment. If it were me, I'd explore jobs that relate to the hobbies that I enjoyed when I had down time during my full-time working years. Such a job likely wouldn't feel like "work."

BigMoneyNoWhammies

Post by BigMoneyNoWhammies » Wed May 29, 2019 10:21 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:57 am
Wannaretireearly wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

Oh yes. You certainly need to start exploring the community.
Except if you're running a business you're no longer the RE in FIRE :sharebeer

GCD

Post by GCD » Wed May 29, 2019 10:29 am

Wannaretireearly wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:06 am
What kind of fun (paid) job do you have after FIRE?

I think the characteristics I would like are:
1. Minimal/Flexible hours.
2. Local/no freeway
3. Perhaps transient. Can leave for months if needed.
4. People oriented
5. Ideally not in front of a computer ( done that already ;)
6. Work or product I have interest in
To me, the difficult thing to overcome is #3, and it is why I haven't worked for pay in retirement. I am 53 and retired at 51.

When someone pays you, it's because they expect you to physically show up somewhere or do something productive on some sort of schedule. At this point I can't be bothered to be on anybody's schedule for anything because I might get a wild whim to go do something on any given day that would conflict with that commitment.

I think the only thing you could do is write books (not newspaper articles, that comes with a deadline) or something else where you are self-employed and create your own schedule.

I've thought about starting up a small tree removal business again. I've edited books written by my friends, for free. Adjunct teaching at a college would be good. I've thought long and hard about that. I might do that next year.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Wed May 29, 2019 10:55 am

Ron wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:51 am
lostdog wrote:
visualguy wrote:
mariezzz wrote:
FIREchief wrote:
Exactly.

- Ron
Five years after retiring from a career in education, my mom started working approximately 9 hours/week in the archive at her town's historical society, which happens to pay for the work. She doesn't work weeks (or even months) when she's got other plans. To say that "retired" is no longer the best simple label for her career status strikes me as an impairment on the ease of communication.

sport

Post by sport » Wed May 29, 2019 11:15 am

I'm retired. Work is a "four letter word".

latesaver

Post by latesaver » Wed May 29, 2019 11:34 am

Ron wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:51 am
lostdog wrote:
visualguy wrote:
mariezzz wrote:
FIREchief wrote:
Exactly.

- Ron
I really don't understand this sentiment.

A 40-something has 50x expenses saved up, which he/she earned working 50+ hours/week at a job they (slightly) hated.

That person leaves the job they dislike to go do something for a couple days/week, and they happen to get paid for it (but don't need the money).

This person is "still hustling" because they happen to get paid for what might as well be volunteer work?

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 pm

latesaver wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:34 am
I really don't understand this sentiment.

A 40-something has 50x expenses saved up, which he/she earned working 50+ hours/week at a job they (slightly) hated.

That person leaves the job they dislike to go do something for a couple days/week, and they happen to get paid for it (but don't need the money).

This person is "still hustling" because they happen to get paid for what might as well be volunteer work?
+1 If retirement goes the way I want in a decade, I'll spend time training for marathons (unpaid), learning languages (unpaid), traveling (costs money), and perhaps teaching a bit. I will hardly be "not retired" if I'm paid some small amount for teaching a language (or legal, tax, or personal finance) class. Any commitments would be short-term and limited in the number of hours. For the right group, I would teach a class for free.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed May 29, 2019 12:21 pm

visualguy wrote:
I actually really like that acronym! :sharebeer
Stay on target...

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed May 29, 2019 12:23 pm

Wannaretireearly wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

Heck, I've heard that these FIRE people even have their own island.
Stay on target...