Deer hit car near kid's school...file claim back home?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ncbill

Deer hit car near kid's school...file claim back home?

Post by ncbill » Sun May 26, 2019 7:36 am

So, yesterday, a day after they graduate a deer decides to commit suicide via my kid's car as the kid is driving back to their apartment.

Looks like minimal damage...headlight shattered, grill bent, small dent in hood.

No airbag deployment, no problems driving (apart from the loss of a headlight)

Kid was coming home tomorrow anyway, so I'd prefer to wait to file a claim until they get back home.

Kid has pics of blood/fur on car (before washed off)...no deer pics, as it was thrown into the middle of a 4-lane road.

Reasonable?

KESP

Re: Deer hit car near kid's school...file claim back home?

Post by KESP » Sun May 26, 2019 7:45 am

I would file with insurance company immediately. Were the police called? If not, make sure lots of pictures to prove your case.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:47 am

No big deal, it comprehensive coverage, not accident. Call the insurance company they may ask for a police report.
Last edited by bob60014 on Sun May 26, 2019 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

informal guide

Post by informal guide » Sun May 26, 2019 7:48 am

Many years ago I learned that a deer/car collision was covered by comprehensive coverage, rather than collision. For me at the time, that was good because I had comprehensive but not collision coverage and the repair cost, which my insurance company authorized, was just $200 less than the book value of the older used car.

So my view would be to file the claim; you might want to notify the insurance company now but I doubt they would have any problem waiting to see it until the car returns home.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun May 26, 2019 7:52 am

ncbill wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:36 am
So, yesterday, a day after they graduate a deer decides to commit suicide via my kid's car as the kid is driving back to their apartment.

Looks like minimal damage...headlight shattered, grill bent, small dent in hood.

Kid was coming home tomorrow anyway, so I'd prefer to wait to file a claim until they get back home.

Kid has pics of blood/fur on car (before washed off)...no deer pics, as it was thrown into the middle of a 4-lane road.

Reasonable?
Glad your child is okay!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Sun May 26, 2019 8:05 am

I hid a dear 5 years ago. Never called the police. Insurance adjuster/body shop will know you hit a large animal based on the fur that is still stuck onto the front of your car. :shock:

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sun May 26, 2019 8:14 am

KESP wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:45 am
I would file with insurance company immediately. Were the police called? If not, make sure lots of pictures to prove your case.
It's not typical to call the police after a collision with a deer, nor it is a good use of police resources to do so.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sun May 26, 2019 8:15 am

What does your insurance agent recommend?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun May 26, 2019 8:19 am

Contact insurance company now.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Sun May 26, 2019 8:55 am

miamivice wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:14 am
KESP wrote:
It's not typical to call the police after a collision with a deer, nor it is a good use of police resources to do so.
My insurance company strongly suggests you file a police report. If there are no injuries or traffic obstruction, I just go the local police department the next day and file a report.... Unfortunately where my family lives, we have a major deer problem. Our 5 drivers have hit (or been hit by) 10 deer in the last 15 years. We have a lot of practice. Regardless, I would file a report if it happened on a public road for your own liability purposes and to have the report for any potential dispute with the Insurance adjuster.

BTW, my best deer hit ever was the one that jumped over a snow bank as I was driving about 2mph to avoid the other deer already in the road. It left a huge face print on the passenger front window. It also cause $4,000 damage to the front quarter panel, and both side doors..... The deer just walked away with damaged self-esteem.....

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sun May 26, 2019 9:01 am

retiringwhen wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:55 am
miamivice wrote:
KESP wrote:
My insurance company strongly suggests you file a police report. If there are no injuries or traffic obstruction, I just go the local police department the next day and file a report.... Unfortunately where my family lives, we have a major deer problem. Our 5 drivers have hit (or been hit by) 10 deer in the last 15 years. We have a lot of practice. Regardless, I would file a report if it happened on a public road for your own liability purposes and to have the report for any potential dispute with the Insurance adjuster.

BTW, my best deer hit ever was the one that jumped over a snow bank as I was driving about 2mph to avoid the other deer already in the road. It left a huge face print on the passenger front window. It also cause $4,000 damage to the front quarter panel, and both side doors..... The deer just walked away with damaged self-esteem.....
:confused

Since a deer collision is paid for comprehensive insurance, not collision, there is no issue of "fault" involved. Your insurance will pay to repair your car regardless of the reason why the car was damaged. I don't see what position an insurance company could take to deny the claim, nor do I see what information in a police report would cause them to pay a comprehensive claim that otherwise they would deny.

The only exception I can think of is if the animal carcass is blocking the road. In my home state, people would drag them out of the way themselves, but I can imagine not everyone is thrilled with that task.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sun May 26, 2019 9:04 am

ncbill wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:36 am

Reasonable?
My experience with insurance is that your first call is a information-taker who takes down some basic information, and then hands the claim over to the adjuster, who calls back in a couple days. I would call your insurance today to open the claim, and then let the person know your son will be home in a couple days and the adjuster can talk with him then.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sun May 26, 2019 9:12 am

Check your state law. In Virginia you are required to immediately report hitting and killing a deer or bear - either to a game warden or the local police.

www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/deer/faq ... tting-deer

"Any person who is involved in a motor vehicle collision that kills a deer or bear is required by law to immediately report the accident to a Conservation Police Officer (Game Warden) or other law enforcement officer in the county or city where the accident occurred. The State does not pay for damages incurred from collisions with wildlife. Consult your insurance company. Drivers who collide with a deer or bear may keep the animal for their own use, provided they report the accident to a law enforcement officer where the accident occurred. The officer will view the animal and give the person a possession certificate."

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Sun May 26, 2019 9:25 am

miamivice wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:01 am
retiringwhen wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:55 am
miamivice wrote:
KESP wrote:

:confused

Since a deer collision is paid for comprehensive insurance, not collision, there is no issue of "fault" involved. Your insurance will pay to repair your car regardless of the reason why the car was damaged. I don't see what position an insurance company could take to deny the claim, nor do I see what information in a police report would cause them to pay a comprehensive claim that otherwise they would deny.

The only exception I can think of is if the animal carcass is blocking the road. In my home state, people would drag them out of the way themselves, but I can imagine not everyone is thrilled with that task.
Your assumption is that the insurance company will just accept your comprehensive claim. I believe the purpose of the police report is to substantiate the claim in a manner that has some legal teeth. You can be criminally charged for filing a false police report. I guess taking a pile of pictures of the accident scene may suffice and collecting witness names..... If you have a long-term relationship with your insurance carrier, I guess you can assume they'll just accept it. I have always figured that the insurance company asked for the police report to get that protection that you are not committing fraud, and if you are committing fraud, then they can make it a criminal matter very easily. I don't do fraud, so it doesn't worry me.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sun May 26, 2019 9:26 am

As has been pointed out in many states you are required to report it the applicable state department/division even if it is not reported to the police.

Not to mention, in a few states you could have turned the negative of the accident into a positive of Venison stew.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:34 am

Are you in as no fault state? Did the deer have proper liability insurance? Was this a simple case of someone being overwhelmed, sort of like "deer in the headlights?".
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun May 26, 2019 9:49 am

I had a close encounter with a deer many years ago when I was out of town on business in a relatively rural area.

I was driving my car with three coworkers in passenger seats. We were on the way back to the hotel from our dinner outing. Everyone was pretty relaxed and ready to call it a day. Then all of a sudden a deer ran across the dark and narrow country road at a high speed and I think I missed the deer by inches.

I counted my (our) blessings many times.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 26, 2019 11:39 am

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (insurance).

I had a similar deer encounter. File a claim as soon as possible - it's comprehensive coverage.

The way my insurance company works (Farmers) is that the repair facility will take pictures of the damage and work with the insurance company directly to negotiate payment. You only need to pay the deductible.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun May 26, 2019 11:49 am

I had a brick mailbox jump out in front of me and filed my claim online. No police report. The insurance co paid with no questions asked.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:13 pm

I have never heard of needing a police report for hitting a deer. I have hit a couple of deer and never needed one for my insurance.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sun May 26, 2019 12:20 pm

I would at least have called the non-emergency number to let some one know to come remove the carcass (OP said it was in the middle of a 4 lane road) but I agree it’s not necessary to file a police report. I see nothing to be gained, however, from waiting to call the insurance company. Like another commentor said, that first call will just be to someone to collect enough information for an adjuster to call you back

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun May 26, 2019 1:34 pm

There are some circumstances where it would be advisable to contact police. When we hit a deer and totaled our 06 Hyundai Sonata, the officer had to complete the job the Sonata had started. As it was after dark and the deer had crawled behind a house, we heard two shots. The officer told us that as he came around the corner of the house, the deer lunged at him and he drew his pistol and fired. He said that was the first time he’d ever had to draw and fire in his career. It was all quite an experience.

Topic Author
ncbill

Post by ncbill » Sun May 26, 2019 1:37 pm

Ok, thanks for all the replies...I'll call today.

pennylane

Post by pennylane » Sun May 26, 2019 2:14 pm

If you own the car and make a claim with the insurance company expect your carfax to go bad. That will diminish the value of your car by 10-20%.

If it’s minimal damage and calculate the out of pocket expense will be less than 10-20% value of the car at resell, it would be wise to fix on your own.

If it’s a lease then non of this matters.

If your state allows you to put in for a diminished value claim to get reimbursed, do it.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:16 pm

pennylane wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:14 pm
If you own the car and make a claim with the insurance company expect your carfax to go bad. That will diminish the value of your car by 10-20%.

If it’s minimal damage and calculate the out of pocket expense will be less than 10-20% value of the car at resell, it would be wise to fix on your own.

If your state allows you to put in for a diminished value claim to get reimbursed, do it.
Its a comprehensive claim, not accident!

pennylane

Post by pennylane » Sun May 26, 2019 2:23 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:16 pm
pennylane wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Its a comprehensive claim, not accident!
Doesn’t matter. I’m in this line of work. I can assure you if he puts a claim in, what I stated above will happen. Good luck.

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Sun May 26, 2019 2:23 pm

miamivice wrote:
KESP wrote:
You are kidding right? There is now a deer carcus lying in the middle of a four lane road! They want to know and clean it up. You can report this as a non emergency no need to call 911 but for sure it s good to tell them.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sun May 26, 2019 7:51 pm

JGoneRiding wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:23 pm
miamivice wrote:
KESP wrote:
You are kidding right? There is now a deer carcus lying in the middle of a four lane road! They want to know and clean it up. You can report this as a non emergency no need to call 911 but for sure it s good to tell them.
Call the authorities if you want someone to remove the dead carcass. In my home state, that was the expectation of the vehicle owner, but you can call someone if you want.

Don't call the police expecting they will file a report on what happened for insurance purposes.