Open enrollment mid-year and qualifying events

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
oslocal

Open enrollment mid-year and qualifying events

Post by oslocal » Tue May 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Three questions:
1. My wife's employer uses a July-June benefits year, however it appears that the medical deductibles are still calculated on a calendar year basis. Is this common?
2. If I take her off of my insurance during my open enrollment window in December, is that a qualifying event for her to enroll?
3. We just had a kid and I'm planning to enroll her in the DCFSA at $5,000 per year for the upcoming July-June period. Since only $2500 will come out of her paycheck in 2019, can I use my special enrollment to enroll myself at $2500 for 2019?

runner3081

Re: Open enrollment mid-year and qualifying events

Post by runner3081 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:38 pm

oslocal wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:14 pm
Three questions:
1. My wife's employer uses a July-June benefits year, however it appears that the medical deductibles are still calculated on a calendar year basis. Is this common?
2. If I take her off of my insurance during my open enrollment window in December, is that a qualifying event for her to enroll?
3. We just had a kid and I'm planning to enroll her in the DCFSA at $5,000 per year for the upcoming July-June period. Since only $2500 will come out of her paycheck in 2019, can I use my special enrollment to enroll myself at $2500 for 2019?
1) Yes, I have seen that many times, personally.
2) Yes, loss of other coverage would be a qualifying event.

But honestly, don't spend your time awaiting responses here. Go to your HR department.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue May 14, 2019 1:49 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:38 pm
oslocal wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:14 pm
Three questions:
1) Yes, I have seen that many times, personally.
2) Yes, loss of other coverage would be a qualifying event.

But honestly, don't spend your time awaiting responses here. Go to your HR department.
Is a voluntary "loss" of coverage a qualifying event, vs., say, being laid off and thus losing the coverage?
But having a baby probably would qualify (?).
Yes, ask HR, or look it up/ask someone else other than us anonymous internet experts-or-not/etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue May 14, 2019 3:37 pm

I had the same question about non-overlapping open enrollment periods with myself and my wife. HR didn't know the answer. I contacted the insurer we wanted to move our coverage to and they confirmed that showing documentation of a loss of coverage was a qualifying event. YMMV, but it might be helpful to contact the insurance company.