Move out or stay at my parents?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
stt816

Move out or stay at my parents?

Post by stt816 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi I’m 27 and I just bought a 2 family home. I’m renting it both but was debating moving in the downstairs apartment. His lease is up in September. I put down 20 percent and I would be paying around 1100 a month in “rent” towards the mortgage.

My parents, and brother are both telling me I should stay home and continue renting out both apartments. Part of me understands that but the other part of me wants my own place. Especially at age 27, and I will be 28 in August. What are your thoughts on this. It has nothing to do with my parents annoying me because they have a large home and I’m not smothered by them. They don’t charge me any rent to live there as well.

Thanks

bluebolt

Re: Move out or stay at my parents?

Post by bluebolt » Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 pm

There are two main considerations - financial & lifestyle.

Only you can decide if staying with your parents will impact your social & dating life enough to be worth it to have your own place. I don't think there's a downside to living there for a year or so and see how things work out while you put away a bunch of money in savings.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:15 pm

Op

late 30's is the new 18 with gen-xers and millennials

-Are your parents open about your comings and goings? my mother had an issue with who my friends were and who were allowed to visit, who I was going to sleep with, how I spent my money etc.

-Do you think you learn to be more independent living on your own? will you clean your place? will you learn to be a gourmet chief? does your parents go out of their way to be over bearing?

-Do you make above average income in your area? will it allow you to live frugally or have an edge building a retirement plan?

-Does your friends have issue with you staying at home? is it a pride thing or out of necessity?

-Are you in a High Cost Area or a Low Cost Area?
Last edited by retire2022 on Sun May 12, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun May 12, 2019 3:16 pm

stt816 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:03 pm
..... I will be 28 in August.
It would be a good time to try living on your own for a while.

If you find that it is not worthwhile to you then you can move back in with your parents in a year or two so it does not need to be a permanent decision.

This is especially true if you did not go away to college for a few years and live away from your parents then and have never lived on your own.

It was a much different situation but I ended up moving to a different city when I was a few years older than you. I literally did not know anyone there so it was hard at first but it got me out of my comfort zone and forced me to go out and do things and meet people. I was not particularly looking to get married but within about a year I had met my future wife and within two years we were married, and we still are 30+ years later.

You would have to look at the numbers but another option would be to get an apartment and keep renting out the house.

k3vb0t

Post by k3vb0t » Sun May 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Could you move into the apartment and get a roommate? Kind of splitting the difference financially?

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sun May 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Move out. You're almost 28. Time to leave the nest.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sun May 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Trust your gut. Get out.

Topic Author
stt816

Post by stt816 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:34 pm

To everyone I live in a higher cost area (southwestern ct) I’m newly single and got out of a long term relationship so that was a huge reason I thought of moving out. Say I want to bring a girl over...I definitely could over my parents but I wouldn’t want to introduce her especially if it’s new..there is no separate entrance and I would basically have to bring her over after they go to sleep. They wouldn’t get mad at me bringing over a girl it just could make things awkward. I never went away to school. This house is only a mile away from my parents too

Also renting any apartment would be either the same cost (1100) or more 1100 in this area would be cheap for a one bedroom or studio
Last edited by stt816 on Sun May 12, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
stt816

Post by stt816 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:35 pm

k3vb0t wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:18 pm
Could you move into the apartment and get a roommate? Kind of splitting the difference financially?
This is not an option it’s all or nothing to me..really don’t want a room mate

Topic Author
stt816

Post by stt816 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Op

late 30's is the new 18 with gen-xers and millennials

-Are your parents open about your comings and goings? my mother had an issue with who my friends were and who were allowed to visit, who I was going to sleep with, how I spent my money etc.

They’re not too on top of me but like I said coming home or having anybody over it would be weird/rude not to introduce them and that could be awkward

-Do you think you learn to be more independent living on your own? will you clean your place? will you learn to be a gourmet chief? does your parents go out of their way to be over bearing?

I am independent as it is I cook all my food do my laundry etc the only thing I need to learn is cleaning my own dishes lol everything else I do

-Do you make above average income in your area? will it allow you to live frugally or have an edge building a retirement plan?

Yes I think I could still do good

-Does your friends have issue with you staying at home? is it a pride thing or out of necessity?

No not at all...it’s neither...I guess a bit of a pride thing..you know it’s cool to say you own something and living in it and entertaining guests and girls when they come over

-Are you in a High Cost Area or a Low Cost Area?
Higher cost southwestern ct

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun May 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Separate the two issues:
a. Should you stay with your parents or move out?
b. If you move out, should you live in your duplex, or rent a place somewhere?

The math on living in the duplex or renting may not be as simple as $1200/month because that is the opportunity cost of not collecting rent on it.

If you live there, half of the mortgage is an itemized deduction instead of a rental expense. Same with half of the property taxes. If you have a good job, the combination of your income taxes and half the property tax may put you over the $10k SALT limit, thereby making some of the property tax not deductible, while currently it is written off on Schedule E.

On the other hand, if you reach the $10k SALT limit, and apply half the mortgage to your itemized deductions, you may well be over the $12k standard and benefit from itemizing.

Also, your overall property taxes may be lower if the duplex is owner occupied, as you may qualify for homestead exemption.

Run the numbers to see how much it would really cost you to live there...

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:06 pm

I’m your exact age. I haven’t lived with my parents for a decade now. Seems like an easy decision to me
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

jb1

Post by jb1 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:23 pm

stt816 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:34 pm
To everyone I live in a higher cost area (southwestern ct) I’m newly single and got out of a long term relationship so that was a huge reason I thought of moving out. Say I want to bring a girl over...I definitely could over my parents but I wouldn’t want to introduce her especially if it’s new..there is no separate entrance and I would basically have to bring her over after they go to sleep. They wouldn’t get mad at me bringing over a girl it just could make things awkward. I never went away to school. This house is only a mile away from my parents too

Also renting any apartment would be either the same cost (1100) or more 1100 in this area would be cheap for a one bedroom or studio
Hahaa “bringing a girl over”. I’m the same way OP. I’m 28, just bought my first place last summer but lived at home up until then and still wish I did.

Wasting $1100 a month (can be invested, used elsewhere) isn’t worth it for the perks of bringing a girl over. Heck, there’s plenty of other places ya know

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 pm

stt816 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:03 pm
Hi I’m 27 and I just bought a 2 family home. I’m renting it both but was debating moving in the downstairs apartment. His lease is up in September. I put down 20 percent and I would be paying around 1100 a month in “rent” towards the mortgage.

My parents, and brother are both telling me I should stay home and continue renting out both apartments. Part of me understands that but the other part of me wants my own place. Especially at age 27, and I will be 28 in August. What are your thoughts on this. It has nothing to do with my parents annoying me because they have a large home and I’m not smothered by them. They don’t charge me any rent to live there as well.
Do you want optimize your finances or your lifestyle?

For the former, it's hard to beat living rent-free.

For the latter, you get to decide if you want to live alone or continue living with your parents. All the 28 year olds I know personally would want their own place. But you need to do what makes you happy - not what makes your parents, brother, and friends happy - as long as you are still on path to achieve your goals.

You are soon to be 28. If you have a good handle on your finances and you understand your goals, you'll be able to make a decision on your own.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sun May 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Unless you have significant debt you are paying off, move out to be on your own. I moved out to another country by myself when I was 17. It forced me to mature at the light of speed and in turn helped me in many areas indirectly particularly my career and maturity.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

bovineplane

Post by bovineplane » Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Move out. Only you can decide if the duplex or another place is the right answer.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sun May 12, 2019 5:47 pm

If you stay, you should be paying your parents something monthly. You should have been doing that already.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun May 12, 2019 6:42 pm

Interesting, I have a 28yr old cousin who is still living at home (with his pregnant wife) completely rent-free(they literally contribute nothing) while he rents out the home that my uncle put a down payment on for his wedding. He is now considering purchasing another home for a rental. FWIW, his 26yr old brother and their younger sister (25 and married, to a 30yr old college sophomore) all still live at home as well and contribute nothing either. Their place is large enough for it not to be an issue, but that's not really the issue...I'm sure the fact that they have zero responsibility has just a little bit to do with the fact that they are all on the 10yr undergrad plan.

If your parents don't mind, sure, stay, but you should absolutely be contributing.

tampaite

Post by tampaite » Sun May 12, 2019 6:49 pm

Deleting my messages on this forum
Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:42 pm
Interesting, I have a 28yr old cousin who is still living at home (with his pregnant wife) completely rent-free(they literally contribute nothing) while he rents out the home that my uncle put a down payment on for his wedding. He is now considering purchasing another home for a rental. FWIW, his 26yr old brother and their younger sister (25 and married, to a 30yr old college sophomore) all still live at home as well and contribute nothing either. Their place is large enough for it not to be an issue, but that's not really the issue...I'm sure the fact that they have zero responsibility has just a little bit to do with the fact that they are all on the 10yr undergrad plan.

If your parents don't mind, sure, stay, but you should absolutely be contributing.
Stopthink, do you and your cousin family believe in caring for family members when they are seniors? that is the case in my parents generation, non-american, they won't spoil their retirement insurance for that reason, and that is the reason why my mom did not force me out.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun May 12, 2019 6:58 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:42 pm

Stopthink, do you and your cousin family believe in caring for family members when they are seniors? that is the case in my parents generation, non-american, they won't spoil their retirement insurance for that reason, and that is the reason why my mom did not force me out.
Sure, in fact I mentioned in another thread that my in-laws have lived with us much of the last few years and will be moving in permanently, and I actually would consider doing something similar with my kids, but I sure as heck won't be doing it so they can be financially irresponsible. I have a lot of relatives and friends who still live with their parents well into adulthood (many of them with spouses and children) and in ZERO of those cases is it because they are taking care of the senior family members. I love the idea of multi-generation homes, I don't love the idea of it being forced because some people want to be lazy, freeload, and/or irresponsible.
Last edited by stoptothink on Sun May 12, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Call me old fashioned but I think a man needs to stand on his own two feet by 28.

Also call me old fashioned but the girls who are cool with a 28yo guy still living in his parents’ basemen are not the girls you’ll want to keep around.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:11 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:59 pm
Call me old fashioned but I think a man needs to stand on his own two feet by 28.

Also call me old fashioned but the girls who are cool with a 28yo guy still living in his parents’ basemen are not the girls you’ll want to keep around.
+1

I moved two states away when I graduated college. Time to live on your own. Be independent and proud.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Sun May 12, 2019 7:17 pm

I would stay put and continue to stack paper. Eventually you will get to a point where the money you save is not enough to overcome the desire to move into your own place. If it starts to interfere with your personal life then you might need to rethink things. I wouldn't do something because that is how it has always been done, a lot has changed over the past twenty years. From what you wrote you sound like you are independent and successful enough as is.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sun May 12, 2019 7:26 pm

This really is a personal question and not a financial one. You'll obviously save more money staying rent free at home. But some think the compromises to your lifestyle is too much.

FWIW, I moved out of the home at age 29 when I got married. It sounds like your parents are not overbearing, neither were mine. I didn't bring home girls until it was serious so that aspect didn't bother me. My parents also didn't pepper anyone that I brought home, so it wouldn't have mattered either way.

My culture norm is to have multi generations live in the same home. My grandpa lived with us. It's not abnormal to have at least one of your adult children and their family live with you. Therefore, I feel neither stunted in my adult life or less mature. On the contrary, I feel ahead of my contemporaries as I started my married life with no credit card debt or student loans and a home to call my own on day one.

boogiehead

Post by boogiehead » Sun May 12, 2019 7:53 pm

If you don't have debt, a steady income, then its time to move out. Living on your own is the only way that will help you grow as an individual.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Or a woman...

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 pm

8foot7 wrote:

You said it better than me. :sharebeer

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun May 12, 2019 8:12 pm

I'll keep it short. Move out.

Socrates

hmmmmm 27 years old

Post by Socrates » Sun May 12, 2019 8:20 pm

move out
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

ThePrince

Post by ThePrince » Sun May 12, 2019 8:21 pm

samsoes wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:23 pm
Move out. You're almost 28. Time to leave the nest.
+1

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Myself and my stuff was booted out the month I graduated college. I was told anything left behind would be thrown away.

Looking back, it was very good for personal growth.

Financially, it dinged my lifetime net worth 10%, due to renting from college > marriage. I don't think that's too bad for sanity.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Move out if you can afford to.
Or, move out if you can afford to and get a roomate.
And, your absence will not cause a burden (caregiving, etc) to your parents or family if you have those duties).
It's time. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
. . . .
to fly :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

nexesn

Post by nexesn » Sun May 12, 2019 8:44 pm

stt816 wrote:

If you can afford it, move out. Have you always lived with your parents or is this something new? No need to respond on this one.

I'm sure you will be found more highly attractive on the dating scene if you lived in the place you own verses "living with your parents". There are obviously many other aspects that you haven't written about that may suggest living with your parents is better. But, on the surface, I would suggest moving out and living in your own place.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sun May 12, 2019 8:50 pm

I would move into the unit and consider getting a roommate... But really $1100 isn't too bad for "rent."

I live in half a duplex with two roommates, wife and baby. It's pretty cheap living and never had any issues with the tennants.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 pm

If you ever want to start a family, it's probably time to move out.

Good luck,

JT

Topic Author
stt816

Post by stt816 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Cycle wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:50 pm
I would move into the unit and consider getting a roommate... But really $1100 isn't too bad for "rent."

I live in half a duplex with two roommates, wife and baby. It's pretty cheap living and never had any issues with the tennants.

As I said earlier I would never get a room mate. Just not something I'd want to do. Either stay at home or move in

Topic Author
stt816

Post by stt816 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:13 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 pm
If you ever want to start a family, it's probably time to move out.

Good luck,

JT
I'm no where near wanting to start a family haha...just focusing on work and finances

Topic Author
stt816

Post by stt816 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:14 pm

nexesn wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:44 pm
stt816 wrote:

If you can afford it, move out. Have you always lived with your parents or is this something new? No need to respond on this one.

I'm sure you will be found more highly attractive on the dating scene if you lived in the place you own verses "living with your parents". There are obviously many other aspects that you haven't written about that may suggest living with your parents is better. But, on the surface, I would suggest moving out and living in your own place.
I have always lived with my parents. I don't want to make the "dating scene" my number 1 priority but I see what you are saying

Topic Author
stt816

Post by stt816 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 pm
And, your absence will not cause a burden (caregiving, etc) to your parents or family if you have those duties).
It's time. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
. . . .
to fly :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yes I know it's emotional too because my parents love me very much and I know they enjoy my company but I will be literally a mile up the road! I will be seeing them a lot (because I want to)

Topic Author
stt816

Post by stt816 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:16 pm

TxAg wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 pm
8foot7 wrote:

excuse me I live on the 2nd floor hahaa I get what you are saying but I think thats a whole other topic. I think if a girl sees that you are striving for greatness and not "settling" in your parents house doing nothing then it could work. But like I said I see what you mean

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sun May 12, 2019 9:17 pm

boogiehead wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:53 pm
If you don't have debt, a steady income, then its time to move out. Living on your own is the only way that will help you grow as an individual.
+1

It's time to move out of the nest. You won't regret it.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun May 12, 2019 9:33 pm

GET OUT!

:D
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun May 12, 2019 9:33 pm

stt816 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:15 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 pm
It's time. :D :D :D
. . . .
to fly :D :D :D :D
Yes I know it's emotional too because my parents love me very much and I know they enjoy my company but I will be literally a mile up the road! I will be seeing them a lot (because I want to)
They will be proud of you. . .
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sun May 12, 2019 9:45 pm

stt816 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 pm
Cycle wrote:

As I said earlier I would never get a room mate. Just not something I'd want to do. Either stay at home or move in
You currently have roommates :beer
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

leeks

Post by leeks » Sun May 12, 2019 9:48 pm

I could answer this just based on the title of the thread....move out!
(I did scan enough of the OP post to see that there was no special circumstances...single parent, medical issue, parents who need your help, etc)
But without any special circumstances, the answer to this question for anyone who is 27 years old is move out ASAP!

leeks

Post by leeks » Sun May 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Cycle wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:45 pm
stt816 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 pm
Cycle wrote:

You currently have roommates :beer
Yes but a new roommate might not wash all his dishes for him....

Ged

Post by Ged » Sun May 12, 2019 9:57 pm

28 is getting up there to still be living with your parents. I think doing it any longer would be bad for your personal development as an adult.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sun May 12, 2019 9:58 pm

TxAg wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 pm
8foot7 wrote:

Not so sure about that. Probably much better than the girls/guys who are impressed by having your own pad or driving a flashy car.

Bogleheads have high standards. They expect you to not go to college, be a doctor, live in a LCOL area, have a highly paid job, max out your retirement accounts, and have a pension (80% or better funded.)

Your parents won’t be around forever. When you move out you won’t get to see them much as much, so cherish the time you have.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

sg0422

Post by sg0422 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:05 pm

If you took a survey of 100 women, showed them your photo with a caption of your career and housing situation, I guarantee you’d rank 2 to 3 points higher on a 10 scale living on your own. Take that how you will. Maybe you have the personality to overcome the more negative first impression. I never liked uphill battles that could be prevented, though.

That said, go see your folks. Have a drink with them on some evenings, breakfast, Sunday dinner, etc. But live on your own, man.