GEICO assigning higher risk driver to more expensive car

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
kevinpet

GEICO assigning higher risk driver to more expensive car

Post by kevinpet »

I've been with GEICO for a while. I just got a rate change which isn't that surprising because my wife had an at fault accident a few months ago. What did surprise me was that they listed the "accident and/or conviction" surcharge on my vehicle. I called in to correct it and was informed that they always assign the higher risk driver to the higher risk vehicle in California. They even told me that if I dropped her car from GEICO, they would still assume she is the driver of the single car I would then have insured.

Essentially, I'm getting my good driver discount (no accidents in many years) on the paid off Accord, and she's getting her recent fender bender rate on the new financed Forester.

Is this now a universal thing in California, or do some companies still assign drivers to vehicles? I probably wouldn't even be bothered about it except that they explicitly listed her as being on that vehicle. If they just changed everything to be average of the drivers I would never have noticed.

Another option is to just drop collision and comprehensive. A wreck wouldn't be a major financial hit.
sixty40

Re: GEICO assigning higher risk driver to more expensive car

Post by sixty40 »

We also have Geico for auto and when I inquired about putting a young driver to an older cheaper vehicle, they said they do not assign drivers to vehicles anymore, too much abuse. So now any listed driver can drive any insured vehicle.
furwut

Post by furwut »

It varies by state but, yes, in some states the rating models permitted by the state’s insurance regulator allow insurers to assign drivers to specific cars.

If it’s making a large difference in your premium now is a good time to check rates with other insurers.
jb1

Post by jb1 »

Gotta love geico. They sponsor speed by sponsoring nascar, yet raise your insurance for going 10 mph over.

Best decision was dropping them. Sick of paying for their horrible commercials.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Do you have the option to specifically exclude your wife from driving the higher value vehicle? I'm not in CA (MA) and have done this several times to keep DS and DW who don't have stellar driving records to match mine. Both were excluded from my Lotus and DS was excluded from my Wrangler. They have to sign forms for each vehicle. If they were to drive one of these vehicles and a claim was filed, coverage would drop to the state minimum (no collision or comp, liability $10k total).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I think the driver assignment right is state law dependent.

The rationale is that any related person living in your household can access your vehicle when needed.

As to GEICO, I think they spent too much money on silly ads (more than $1b per a trade magazine) and they have to come up with “new and improved” ways to price their premiums.
azianbob

Post by azianbob »

I have Farmers and we can assign any person as the primary driver to any car. The rates change based on the driver and car. But anyone named on the plan can drive any vehicle in the plan.

By switching around a couple drivers, we saved over $500 on the 6 month premium.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

azianbob wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:50 am I have Farmers and we can assign any person as the primary driver to any car. The rates change based on the driver and car. But anyone named on the plan can drive any vehicle in the plan.

By switching around a couple drivers, we saved over $500 on the 6 month premium.
That's good, but that flexibility apparently depends as much (or maybe more) on your specific state insurance guidelines than you're insurer. Your post would be relevant to the OP only if you specified you live in CA.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Certainly worth evaluating if the coverage is really worth it. I have a tainted record and for me collision/comprehensive with $2500/$1000 deductibles is around $1400 more per year. That, along with the deductible, along with the rate increase a claim would generate makes it pretty clearly a better move to simply self-insure.
rkoo

Post by rkoo »

Somewhat similar issue. I took the "Mature Driver Course," being assured that would lead to a lower autoinsurance premium (unless I was a terrible driver, which is NOT the case). I sat through 8 hours of instruction, called Geico and was told (after many minutes on hold) that since I am not listed as the primary driver — and, apparently in California, CANNOT be listed as primary on our sole vehicle — no discount can be applied for that. It doesn't matter that we have no accidents, drive the car about equally, etc. California has assigned spouse as primary driver, and there is nothing Geico can do about that. Really?
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

I'm in Massachusetts, and completed the AARP course mostly for its own benefit. The discount would have been nice, but Geico was not listed as offering the discount. Was the same with AAA in Michigan.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Interesting. We have one car for each driver and I am always very strategic to place the highest risk family member in the cheapest car as primary. I've changed who is assigned each car a dozen times. The insurance company sends a new coverage sheet with what I asked for. Shrug.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

rkoo wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:55 am Somewhat similar issue. I took the "Mature Driver Course," being assured that would lead to a lower autoinsurance premium (unless I was a terrible driver, which is NOT the case). I sat through 8 hours of instruction, called Geico and was told (after many minutes on hold) that since I am not listed as the primary driver — and, apparently in California, CANNOT be listed as primary on our sole vehicle — no discount can be applied for that. It doesn't matter that we have no accidents, drive the car about equally, etc. California has assigned spouse as primary driver, and there is nothing Geico can do about that. Really?
I'm in CA and USAA allows me to assign Primary drivers to our three cars. (How much difference that makes, I have no idea.)

re; mature driver course....I assume that is insurer dependent on whether to offer an additional discount?