Walk away from my auto lease?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
snackdog

Re: Walk away from my auto lease?

Post by snackdog » Wed May 08, 2019 8:03 pm

I guess the good news is that the transmission sacrificed itself and you didn't burn out them engine. That could have been next if you continued redlining it. The bill would have been far larger.

You will pay for the transmission regardless of whether you keep the car, return it now or return it at lease end. So, may as well pay for it now and keep driving.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 08, 2019 8:08 pm

snackdog wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:03 pm
I guess the good news is that the transmission sacrificed itself and you didn't burn out them engine. That could have been next if you continued redlining it. The bill would have been far larger.

You will pay for the transmission regardless of whether you keep the car, return it now or return it at lease end. So, may as well pay for it now and keep driving.
Or perhaps *don't* keep driving this particular car, until you get some more experience with "cars like it", perhaps even with some instruction (regular for manual transmission, or perhaps special for high performance, depending upon what car this actually is)?

Do you have prior experience, extensive prior experience, with manual transmissions? In this type of car?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed May 08, 2019 8:32 pm

boglerocks wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 pm
Someone mentioned earlier that they would expect $3,000+ just for a clutch replacement from a non-dealer. $5,000 includes a new transmission from a dealer. Any other opinions on this?
Who can tell ? It depends on the car.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed May 08, 2019 8:39 pm

boglerocks wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:56 pm
Something was clearly wrong for those 2 days and I knew it but I was in the middle of a family visit and it wasn't practical to take it to the shop at that point. I continued at redline for less than 2 seconds before it blew but yes that was probably 2 seconds too long. There were no other signs except that I thought I could smell the clutch intermittently during those 2 days. To be honest I wasn't super worried about it before or after the explosion. I was sure that failed equipment during warranty meant replacement under warranty. Learned that one the hard way.
No warranties cover abuse and in the best case you are right at the line. You could should still ask them for specifics of why things aren't covered and try to escalate. You might get them to assume some of the blame.

Now the real question is will any of this show up in the Carfax/inspection when I go to buy your lease return cat in 12 months....

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Wed May 08, 2019 8:53 pm

{Topic is exhausted and locked. Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.} Moderator Jbranx