Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
wklose99
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:24 pm

Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by wklose99 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am

I am leaving my current tech job to move to another tech job and am in an unfortunate position where the new company wants me to start ASAP, but i have options vesting at my current company the Wednesday before my new job starts (on a Monday).

Details are:
-my current job is in a “right to work” state and i have no employment contract
-i have been at this company 4 years and are on good terms w boss/execs, get annual raises and have had a few promos
-my new company is not a competitor with my current company
-i cannot push back the start date at my new job
-the stock options are worth $20,000

If i give a two weeks notice, i risk being fired on the spot and losing my options. If i give a two days notice, i will guarantee my options but it would look really awful and probably burn bridges. I don't plan to work in this space again but one never knows. I feel like I am on good terms w my boss/execs but one never knows when it comes to money.

What should I do?

supersharpie
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by supersharpie » Thu May 02, 2019 9:26 am

wklose99 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am
I am leaving my current tech job to move to another tech job and am in an unfortunate position where the new company wants me to start ASAP, but i have options vesting at my current company the Wednesday before my new job starts (on a Monday).

Details are:
-my current job is in a “right to work” state and i have no employment contract
-i have been at this company 4 years and are on good terms w boss/execs, get annual raises and have had a few promos
-my new company is not a competitor with my current company
-i cannot push back the start date at my new job
-the stock options are worth $20,000

If i give a two weeks notice, i risk being fired on the spot and losing my options. If i give a two days notice, i will guarantee my options but it would look really awful and probably burn bridges. I don't plan to work in this space again but one never knows. I feel like I am on good terms w my boss/execs but one never knows when it comes to money.

What should I do?
Give two weeks notice and make it clear that you know you are risking your stock options but are taking this action because it is right thing to do.

riverguy
Posts: 496
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by riverguy » Thu May 02, 2019 9:32 am

Two days notice. Look out for yourself. They would not give you two weeks notice if they let you go.

260chrisb
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by 260chrisb » Thu May 02, 2019 9:33 am

Sounds like you should have negotiated a different start date. You're risking 20K which is a lot of money even with a sizable increase with your new gig. I hate to make it about the money but I think I would lean toward the 2 day notice as bad as that is and get the 20K. I get the feeling you're pretty sure they would let you go on the spot so what's the difference? Maybe there isn't a bridge to burn? Again, it's a lot of money to risk leaving on the table. Like to know how it ends. Good luck.

User avatar
prudent
Moderator
Posts: 6837
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by prudent » Thu May 02, 2019 9:35 am

Any reason to think you'd be immediately fired if you give 2 weeks notice? Our company has relieved people of duty (i.e. escorted out immediately) when they give 2 weeks notice but they weren't fired - they still got paid for the 2 weeks. To the unknowing it may have looked as though they were fired on the spot.

User avatar
greg24
Posts: 3678
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by greg24 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:36 am

If your new company won't budge on a start date, have them make up the $20k.

Topic Author
wklose99
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by wklose99 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 am

prudent wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:35 am
Any reason to think you'd be immediately fired if you give 2 weeks notice? Our company has relieved people of duty (i.e. escorted out immediately) when they give 2 weeks notice but they weren't fired - they still got paid for the 2 weeks. To the unknowing it may have looked as though they were fired on the spot.
I have no reason to think theyd fire me on the spot, im like 80% sure they wouldnt, but i still dont want to risk losing the $20k.

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Stinky » Thu May 02, 2019 9:47 am

greg24 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:36 am
If your new company won't budge on a start date, have them make up the $20k.
+1

Good idea.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

User avatar
Cyclesafe
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Cyclesafe » Thu May 02, 2019 9:47 am

Perhaps $20k is worth it for the life lesson you'd receive if you are immediately turned out?

Probably not.

If you had experienced what I have over my career in these situations, you would ensure that you would receive whatever is coming to you first. Of course, you are also assuming that you will actually receive the "vested" amount. As a practical matter, that's by no means assured either.

IMHO, the only course is to follow to the letter the terms of the vesting arrangement, then also be an employee in good standing on the vesting date, and only then give notice (or not). AND be prepared for further resistance on the company's part.
Last edited by Cyclesafe on Thu May 02, 2019 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” - Dwight Eisenhower

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 10297
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:48 am

wklose99 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 am

I have no reason to think theyd fire me on the spot,
Don't be naive. Companies look out for themselves and I'm sure the first job HR will have with your notice is to terminate you before you cost them the vested stocks.

Vest.....sell......give notice. In that order. Even if it means "Boss, I'm leaving at the end of the day to go work for OtherMegaCorp".

Another option is to put in for a week vacation starting at the day after you vest. Then on the day after you vest, give them 1 week's notice.
Last edited by Jack FFR1846 on Thu May 02, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

MotoTrojan
Posts: 6436
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu May 02, 2019 9:48 am

greg24 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:36 am
If your new company won't budge on a start date, have them make up the $20k.
This seems like a reasonable approach. Can't hurt to ask and maybe you'll get $40K.

drk
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by drk » Thu May 02, 2019 9:50 am

greg24 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:36 am
If your new company won't budge on a start date, have them make up the $20k.
^ Exactly this.

User avatar
Tamarind
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Tamarind » Thu May 02, 2019 9:57 am

Would have been best to negotiate start date or signing bonus with new company before you accepted their offer.

Failing that, the right thing is to give two weeks notice. But as others have pointed out it is risky, and I don't think I would blame you for giving two days notice. But your old employer surely will.

You may be in a right to work state (I am too), but check your employee handbook. At some companies you forfeit your accrued PTO if you give less than 2 weeks notice.

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by LiterallyIronic » Thu May 02, 2019 10:01 am

wklose99 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am
-my current job is in a “right to work” state and i have no employment contract
I assume you mean "at will", since "right to work" means you can't be forced to join a union.

Thesaints
Posts: 2876
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Thesaints » Thu May 02, 2019 10:02 am

Would your present company give you a 2-week notice before letting you go ?

barnaclebob
Posts: 3946
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by barnaclebob » Thu May 02, 2019 10:08 am

Since you don't plan to work there anymore I'd take the risk that the bridge you are burning down isn't worth 20k. Give two days notice.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Thu May 02, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5671
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:11 am

Thesaints wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:02 am
Would your present company give you a 2-week notice before letting you go ?
Exactly. 2 weeks notice is a courtesy. I have always given it. However, in unusual circumstances I would protect myself. if I was in this position I wouldn't give the 2 weeks notice. Even if the 20k wasn't involved if I was offered a great job and unhappy with the old one and was told I had to start immediately, I'd look out for myself. People make the mistake of thinking they are way more valuable to a company than they really are. In a merger or series of layoffs they just cut people left and right. People get hit by buses, die, get sick or whatever and companies seem to get by without 2 weeks notice.

jpark1982
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by jpark1982 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:14 am

Giving two weeks notice is done out of courtesy for your current employer, it's not a requirement. Especially if you have a non-compete or the other company is in a similar industry, they may ask you to leave right away anyway. I would wait for them to vest and then resign.

123
Posts: 5109
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by 123 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:21 am

Give 2 week notice after you get your stock stuff. If you don't get escorted out give 1 day notice next day
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

chenzi
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:07 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by chenzi » Thu May 02, 2019 10:27 am

My company fired many employees just a week or two before vesting. Many lost 30-40% of their RSU salaries. I would recommend resigning on the date of vesting and give them 5 business days notice.

Or ask the other company to pay $30k to compensate for your loss.

MotoTrojan
Posts: 6436
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu May 02, 2019 10:28 am

Also could you discretely put together a packet of info to help smooth the transition? Basically a summary of whatever you would’ve trained/explained in your two weeks. If you don’t have this sort of single-point knowledge to hand off then I wouldn’t feel as bad about 2 day notice.

A well documented packet and honesty about the options would go a long way with management I imagine.

User avatar
Meaty
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Meaty » Thu May 02, 2019 10:28 am

wklose99 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am
I am leaving my current tech job to move to another tech job and am in an unfortunate position where the new company wants me to start ASAP, but i have options vesting at my current company the Wednesday before my new job starts (on a Monday).

Details are:
-my current job is in a “right to work” state and i have no employment contract
-i have been at this company 4 years and are on good terms w boss/execs, get annual raises and have had a few promos
-my new company is not a competitor with my current company
-i cannot push back the start date at my new job
-the stock options are worth $20,000

If i give a two weeks notice, i risk being fired on the spot and losing my options. If i give a two days notice, i will guarantee my options but it would look really awful and probably burn bridges. I don't plan to work in this space again but one never knows. I feel like I am on good terms w my boss/execs but one never knows when it comes to money.

What should I do?
I would not indicate I’m leaving before my stocks vested.
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

muffins14
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:14 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by muffins14 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:33 am

I agree with the thought that you should have negotiated this ahead of time. If you felt that the $20k was important, you could have negotiated the start date accordingly to give your notice and receive the options. It's not uncommon in this tech hiring market for people to have even 2-3 months in between acceptance and start date for larger companies, so another 1-2 weeks should have been fine from their perspective if they are a larger company.

I'm also surprised at the number of responses advocating for 2-day or 1-day notice. If you are a leader in your field hopefully you have several projects you'd like to document and pass on to others during your offboarding process, as well as share thoughts on how the team can evolve its performance and strategy in the future. If you feel you can just walk out tomorrow with no negative impact, isn't that a weird sign? (or you're great at writing down your thoughts as you go)

Aside from that, I would also think it's more likely that if you are working the next two weeks, the company will give you the options as expected rather than withhold them. I feel that the situation is different than a performance bonus, for which I might advocate waiting until it hit your account to give your notice.

User avatar
Don Christy
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Don Christy » Thu May 02, 2019 10:49 am

Apparently he has the options, they just haven’t vested.

I would suggest letting the options vest, giving 2-3 days notice, AND offer to be available for some period as a consultant to aid knowledge transfer etc., consistent with your availability considering the new job.

D
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi

Thesaints
Posts: 2876
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Thesaints » Thu May 02, 2019 10:55 am

muffins14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:33 am
If you feel you can just walk out tomorrow with no negative impact...
Impact to whom ? That’s the key.

ponyboy
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:39 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by ponyboy » Thu May 02, 2019 11:00 am

If you hate money, give 2 weeks notice.

User avatar
mhc
Posts: 4012
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: NoCo

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by mhc » Thu May 02, 2019 11:04 am

I have had HR screw me out of options. My group was up for sale, so the HR person would not give us our options. He let them expire in his desk. We had 90 days to accept them. We never received them. I do not trust HR. They are not in place to look out for employees.

Let the options vest and sell immediately, then give your notice.

mikemikemike
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by mikemikemike » Thu May 02, 2019 11:06 am

I would give the amount of notice that's typical in your field. If that's two weeks, give two weeks and risk losing the $20K. If people tend to just walk out the door without giving notice, feel free to wait until the last minute.

Your reputation in your field should be worth way more than the $20K.

And that $20K is likely a tiny fraction of your NW.

GuyFromGeorgia
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by GuyFromGeorgia » Thu May 02, 2019 11:14 am

I'd push back on the new company. If they wanted you to start ASAP, they would want you there tomorrow. You obviously have 2 weeks between now and the proposed start date. Why would 3 hurt anyone? They also have plenty of flexibility on new hire stock grans and cash bonus options. One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that how you leave your current company will be one of the first things your new company knows about you. $20k is a lot of money, but it is nothing compared to what you could be making in 5-10 years. I would happily walk away from $20k to keep my name and reputation. That said, maybe you can make this win-win.

You will be shown the door immediately if you are going to a direct competitor. In this case, give 2 weeks notice the Friday after you get your options. If they don't show you the door immediately, express a moral conflict and you feel awkward around all of your current company's IP knowing you're about to leave. Ask to be shown the door to avoid conflict of interest. You want to work 2 weeks, but really don't want to be put in that position.

If you are not going to a direct competitor, then come up with a transition plan and present it to your manager as if you're pitching an idea for a new product. Take the pressure and stress of leaving as much off their shoulders as possible. Give 2 weeks notice 10 days before the stock vests and ensure your transition plan has at least 10 days worth of work / knowledge transfer. You have a slight risk with this second option, but I think it is worth it if all else fails.

phxjcc
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by phxjcc » Thu May 02, 2019 11:15 am

muffins14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:33 am
I agree with the thought that you should have negotiated this ahead of time. If you felt that the $20k was important, you could have negotiated the start date accordingly to give your notice and receive the options. It's not uncommon in this tech hiring market for people to have even 2-3 months in between acceptance and start date for larger companies, so another 1-2 weeks should have been fine from their perspective if they are a larger company.

I'm also surprised at the number of responses advocating for 2-day or 1-day notice. If you are a leader in your field hopefully you have several projects you'd like to document and pass on to others during your offboarding process, as well as share thoughts on how the team can evolve its performance and strategy in the future. If you feel you can just walk out tomorrow with no negative impact, isn't that a weird sign? (or you're great at writing down your thoughts as you go)

Aside from that, I would also think it's more likely that if you are working the next two weeks, the company will give you the options as expected rather than withhold them. I feel that the situation is different than a performance bonus, for which I might advocate waiting until it hit your account to give your notice.
^^<---this.

It is a VERY small world.

Your current boss, his boss, her boss, and your co-workers might be your future interviewers.

I also agree that options are not hard cash, like a bonus or even a 401k match. So unless, e.g., this is Walmart and you are going to Amazon why would you be terminated immediately?

The options are free to the company. The market cap has already been diluted by the number of shares held in treasury.

Marlago35
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:51 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Marlago35 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:18 am

Only you truly know what is most likely to happen and the possible negative impact on your firm/colleagues of a 2 day notice vs. a 2 week notice.

With all that in mind, you have to look out for yourself here in my opinion. If you decide that this $20k is important to you (it would be to me, that's a good amount of money), stick around until your options vest and give a 2 day notice if that's the only option. Alternatively, as others have recommended, go back to your new employer and ask for a $20k signing bonus if you get fired on the spot after giving 2 week notice due to their unflexible start date requirement.

Regarding a hit to your reputation - I think some may be overstating it. Sure your boss and colleagues will be annoyed for a few weeks, but given your current good relationship with them they'll likely get over it (and who knows if that even matters unless you need them for references or connections later). Most people will understand your predicament and would act the same.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

Thegame14
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 11:53 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Thegame14 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:18 am

It is a toss up, I have known people to give notice and be walked out the door. Conversely I waited til Jan 1 to give two weeks notice to vest in a pension, defined contribution, not defined benefit and they didn't argue. I would be worried if new company cant wait another week or two for you to start. That is the part that concerns me more, are they hiring you to put out a fire and will let you go right after....

TravelGeek
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by TravelGeek » Thu May 02, 2019 11:23 am

I think it would depend on your relationship with your manager. I had a really good relationship with my manager (and his manager). Even though my megacorp walks people getting RIFed out the same day, I never saw anyone walked out the door when giving notice. Transfer of knowledge is considered important in many projects. I am fairly certain that I could’ve told my manager about my plans without significant risk of losing my RSUs/options. I gave “flexible notice” (I’ll stay as long it takes for an orderly transfer of projects) when I FIRE’d and HR didn’t find out until a couple of days before my final day (I actually had to remind my boss to put in the “paperwork”).

And as a manager myself, I would consider it stupid to get rid of the OP right away. Not only would I likely impact my projects if work doesn’t get transferred in an organized fashion, but it would also burn bridges for *me* with this employee and potentially other team members who see how I act. Bridges go two ways. The “cost savings” for the megacorp from not vesting the RSUs or options would not be a consideration.

User avatar
celia
Posts: 9723
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by celia » Thu May 02, 2019 11:26 am

How ‘certain’ is this new job? Do you have everything in writing or is it a verbal offer?

Have you accepted it yet?

investingdad
Posts: 1636
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by investingdad » Thu May 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Give 2 weeks notice day after they vest, if they walk you out, perfect.

Take all the vacation you have immediately after giving notice.

Start new job on time.

Quirkz
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Quirkz » Thu May 02, 2019 12:05 pm

muffins14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:33 am
I'm also surprised at the number of responses advocating for 2-day or 1-day notice. If you are a leader in your field hopefully you have several projects you'd like to document and pass on to others during your offboarding process, as well as share thoughts on how the team can evolve its performance and strategy in the future. If you feel you can just walk out tomorrow with no negative impact, isn't that a weird sign? (or you're great at writing down your thoughts as you go)
There may be ways to address this part. The OP can work on documentation in advance and provide it during the last few days. Also emphasizing their willingness to take calls or answer email for a few weeks beyond their quit date could go a long way toward softening the sting.

Topic Author
wklose99
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by wklose99 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Wow, a lot to digest in this thread, this seems to be a very polarizing decision! I have polled most of my friends, and my friends I consider to be more "business saavy"/lawyer have mostly told me to only give notice after the vest, while most of my other friends suggested two weeks.
celia wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:26 am
How ‘certain’ is this new job? Do you have everything in writing or is it a verbal offer?

Have you accepted it yet?
I have already passed a background check and signed with the new company with the start date. I have just asked to push back one week, so we will see what they say...

origami
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by origami » Thu May 02, 2019 12:24 pm

From my experience no publicly traded tech company (in Seattle) would fire an employee on the spot to save $20K in stocks.
Companies don't even ask to pay back signing bonuses (often larger than $20K) if you join and then leave after the first paycheck (and according to the contract the bonus is usually prorated over 12-24 months, so they easily could).
Of course my experience is based on anecdotal evidence.

User avatar
TexasPE
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Southeast Texas

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by TexasPE » Thu May 02, 2019 12:31 pm

Post by investingdad » Thu May 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Give 2 weeks notice day after they vest, if they walk you out, perfect.

Take all the vacation you have immediately after giving notice.

Start new job on time.
This
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

boogiehead
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by boogiehead » Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 pm

At my previous Company if it was known you were jumping to a competitor they will just let you go the same day. So if you were to give them 2 weeks what you can do is tell them is you are leaving for personal reasons and DO NOT tell them that you already have another job lined up.

origami
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by origami » Thu May 02, 2019 12:39 pm

TexasPE wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:31 pm
Post by investingdad » Thu May 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Give 2 weeks notice day after they vest, if they walk you out, perfect.

Take all the vacation you have immediately after giving notice.

Start new job on time.
This
It could easily be illegal to have two full time jobs at the same time. People just love to give bad advice.

boogiehead
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by boogiehead » Thu May 02, 2019 12:46 pm

TexasPE wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:31 pm
Post by investingdad » Thu May 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Give 2 weeks notice day after they vest, if they walk you out, perfect.

Take all the vacation you have immediately after giving notice.

Start new job on time.
This
This sounds good in theory, but I believe most companies would fire you on the spot if they found out about this as you would be violating HR policy.

MindBogler
Posts: 838
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by MindBogler » Thu May 02, 2019 12:50 pm

origami wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:39 pm
TexasPE wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:31 pm
Post by investingdad » Thu May 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Give 2 weeks notice day after they vest, if they walk you out, perfect.

Take all the vacation you have immediately after giving notice.

Start new job on time.
This
It could easily be illegal to have two full time jobs at the same time. People just love to give bad advice.
There could also be a contract at either job which precludes this sort of behavior. This could lead to termination by the new company or legal action by the former. This is most likely terrible advice.

User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by mrspock » Thu May 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Meaty wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:28 am
I would not indicate I’m leaving before my stocks vested.
+1 , I would have pushed back on the start date. If they took months to fill it, and weeks to interview you, two weeks aren’t going to make a big diff. The recruiter might have pushed for this to ensure their bonus, so I don’t see why their bank account needs to come before yours.

Either way, no notice until the vest. You can feel free to explain why if you want, and I’m sure your manager if they have any empathy will understand.

Goal33
Posts: 981
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Goal33 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:53 pm

depends on your company
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

Luckywon
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by Luckywon » Thu May 02, 2019 1:19 pm

wklose99 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:08 pm
Wow, a lot to digest in this thread, this seems to be a very polarizing decision! I have polled most of my friends, and my friends I consider to be more "business saavy"/lawyer have mostly told me to only give notice after the vest, while most of my other friends suggested two weeks.
celia wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:26 am
How ‘certain’ is this new job? Do you have everything in writing or is it a verbal offer?

Have you accepted it yet?
I have already passed a background check and signed with the new company with the start date. I have just asked to push back one week, so we will see what they say...
I don't feel I can give you useful advice on which is the better choice, what a dilemna! But please keep us updated with what you decide and how it works out.

MotoTrojan
Posts: 6436
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu May 02, 2019 1:23 pm

TexasPE wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:31 pm
Post by investingdad » Thu May 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Give 2 weeks notice day after they vest, if they walk you out, perfect.

Take all the vacation you have immediately after giving notice.

Start new job on time.
This
This is literally no different than 2 days notice except the slime-ball factor. Either way you get paid the PTO and the equity.

mchampse
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:45 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by mchampse » Thu May 02, 2019 1:44 pm

I’ve worked in tech for 20 years. I’ve worked at tech companies as well as traditional (ie insurance, distribution, etc.). My thoughts:

1)I don’t know where you live or how experienced you are, but I assume you are making at least $100,000 per year. That amount of money is not going to have a huge impact on your life if you had to give it up.Tech is a small community and I would never trash my reputation for any amount of money unless it was enough to let me retire.

2)That said, burning bridges is a two-way street. Your boss likely doesn’t want to burn his bridges with you. Once this fact becomes common knowledge within your company, it will piss off a lot of people and they will tell their friends not to work for that company.

3)You probably have a lot of information in your brain that is worth well more than $20k to your company. I’ve gotten calls from old employers months later asking about this or that which I’ve gladly answered. If they walked me out and denied me compensation, I wouldn’t take those calls.

4)I could see a traditional company walking you out to save themselves paying out a bonus. I can’t see a tech company doing that for some of the reasons I noted above. I did work for a traditional company that treated people as expendable and to be fair most of the company would have had a difficult time finding another job with benefits and good pay. Their policy of treating people as expendable worked fine for those people who actually were “expendable”. However, when they tried that crap with IT, lawyers, etc. they figured out really quickly that it wasn’t a good idea.

5)If you were getting a cash bonus, that’s one thing. However, stock doesn’t cost the company anything. The only reason to do that, would be if they literally wanted to f*** with you. They get no benefit. Assuming you have a decent reputation with your boss and Co-workers, I can’t see them doing that.

Topic Author
wklose99
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by wklose99 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:52 pm

mchampse wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:44 pm
I’ve worked in tech for 20 years. I’ve worked at tech companies as well as traditional (ie insurance, distribution, etc.). My thoughts:

1)I don’t know where you live or how experienced you are, but I assume you are making at least $100,000 per year. That amount of money is not going to have a huge impact on your life if you had to give it up.Tech is a small community and I would never trash my reputation for any amount of money unless it was enough to let me retire.

2)That said, burning bridges is a two-way street. Your boss likely doesn’t want to burn his bridges with you. Once this fact becomes common knowledge within your company, it will piss off a lot of people and they will tell their friends not to work for that company.

3)You probably have a lot of information in your brain that is worth well more than $20k to your company. I’ve gotten calls from old employers months later asking about this or that which I’ve gladly answered. If they walked me out and denied me compensation, I wouldn’t take those calls.

4)I could see a traditional company walking you out to save themselves paying out a bonus. I can’t see a tech company doing that for some of the reasons I noted above. I did work for a traditional company that treated people as expendable and to be fair most of the company would have had a difficult time finding another job with benefits and good pay. Their policy of treating people as expendable worked fine for those people who actually were “expendable”. However, when they tried that crap with IT, lawyers, etc. they figured out really quickly that it wasn’t a good idea.

5)If you were getting a cash bonus, that’s one thing. However, stock doesn’t cost the company anything. The only reason to do that, would be if they literally wanted to f*** with you. They get no benefit. Assuming you have a decent reputation with your boss and Co-workers, I can’t see them doing that.
I agree with much of what you put in there. The stories I've heard of people being fired on the spot to avoid them getting bonuses, etc are typically more expendable personnel (contract workers, junior sales people, etc). I would be really shocked if I was fired on the spot, even if they escort me out I still have lines of communication via social media to many friends and coworkers inside the company, and I think it would be a large blow to morale around the office once word got out. Not to mention glassdoor reviews, etc.

I am leaning towards giving them a proper 2 weeks notice pending my new company not allowing me to push the date back one week.

User avatar
TxAg
Posts: 1543
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Giving two week's notice before stock options vest

Post by TxAg » Thu May 02, 2019 1:57 pm

I don't like aggravating folks, but I would for $20k

Post Reply