What to do with this car?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
uberdoc

What to do with this car?

Post by uberdoc »

Hi,
We have a 2016 CRV and a 2009 Nissan Versa. We will be moving to the city and won’t need two cars anymore. Versa has 64K miles on it, banged up a little on side, had two repairs after accidents, windshield wipers are bent, makes some squeaky noises, has manual windows but drives ok. I have no time to show it to any prospective buyers. What are the easy and hassle free ways to get rid of this car?
Thanks.
Last edited by uberdoc on Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortfree

Re: What to do with this car?

Post by mortfree »

CarSense, CarMax, WeBuyAnyCar type of places.
Mid-40’s
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Carmax. Likely not the best deal, but easy and hassle free.
Greenman72

Post by Greenman72 »

I just got rid of a quality, but older model car by giving it to a church. There was a teenager who just got out of a bad situation (abusive, alcoholic parents) who needed a ride. Worked out for all of us.
Topic Author
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc »

I would like to donate it to someone who really needs it but am wary of potential future liabilities if something happens due to faults in the car.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

uberdoc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 pm I would like to donate it to someone who really needs it but am wary of potential future liabilities if something happens due to faults in the car.
That is pretty far-fetched, isn't it?
Wouldn't you be making the donation based on the car is in "as is" condition? Meaning, no warranties or guarantees of any kind.

If there was any legal foundation for your theory of future liability - no one would ever donate motor vehicles, bicycles,
appliances, electrical tools, or anything else with the chance of an injury, to charity orgs, would they.
camillus

Post by camillus »

If donating your car is on the table, I would google "donate care [your city]" and pick a cause you'd like to support.
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

drawpoker wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:20 pm
uberdoc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 pm I would like to donate it to someone who really needs it but am wary of potential future liabilities if something happens due to faults in the car.
That is pretty far-fetched, isn't it?
Wouldn't you be making the donation based on the car is in "as is" condition? Meaning, no warranties or guarantees of any kind.

If there was any legal foundation for your theory of future liability - no one would ever donate motor vehicles, bicycles,
appliances, electrical tools, or anything else with the chance of an injury, to charity orgs, would they.
Charities accept automobile donations not to drive, but to sell for funds. Giving it to someone is not donating unless you ask specifically him to sell it. The two cases appear different in liabilities. I assume charities have provisions to absolve donors of liabilities. I have no background in law. I am just expressing common sense.