Colleague salary comparison

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Colleague salary comparison

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:50 pm

If you work in an environment where you can view your colleagues' salaries do you? And if so, do you do anything with that information?

cashheavy18

Re: Colleague salary comparison

Post by cashheavy18 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:54 pm

Yes, it is public information. Not much to do (other than be aware), as each person is being paid their market value - based on their ability to produce in their specific field of expertise.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Let’s see how honest BHs are.

It’s a family forum, so use your imagination, but 98% of post pubescent people do something, 2% lie.

I would look at salaries. Not proud of it.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:57 pm

For about 12 years I was a director or managing director of several companies outside the US. In most of them, we were required to disclose our income and assets in statutory filings. I never inquired about others and none of the people in the business (at any level) ever indicated that they looked us up.They may have.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:02 pm

If you’ve ever worked in a role that involved budgeting you may have access to that information. What do you do with it? Add x% for wage increases and forecast the following years expected salary expense. :)
If you don’t like your co-workers, post the data on the lunchroom bulletin board or refrigerator door. :twisted:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:08 pm

I worked at one time for a company that was sold to another company. In "the book" used for the sale, the salary of almost every employee was stated in the year before the sale. I didn't have to do anything that information.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:14 pm

The main thing to do with the information is to negotiate higher salaries for the underpaid. It is not uncommon for the market price to go up faster than raises, leaving more experienced workers with lower salaries than brand new ones.

bampf

Post by bampf » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:15 pm

Comparison is the thief of joy. When I was younger I would have wanted to know. Now, I am pretty darn happy not to know and more importantly to care little. I make enough, that's good enough for me.

student

Post by student » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:52 pm

I work at a public university where salaries information is public. It is interesting to see that an assistant professor of accounting may earn 1.8 times as much as a full professor of history.
Last edited by student on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:59 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:50 pm
If you work in an environment where you can view your colleagues' salaries do you? And if so, do you do anything with that information?
Absolutely ! To negotiate salary.
Can't even begin to imagine why some on this thread would be ashamed of doing so, or anyway opposed to it.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:06 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:If you work in an environment where you can view your colleagues' salaries do you?
When I worked for a city our gross pay (name and amount) was listed online for anyone to see. I looked a couple of times.
And if so, do you do anything with that information?
No. I knew what the base was and there were no surprises because I knew who was working all the overtime. It was a city; there was no negotiating pay.

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:13 pm

One of the greatest things that ever happened to Executive Officers at public companies is to have their compensation published because their compensation is set at the average of the "peer group" so if one CFO gets a raise they all get one.

It's a little embarrassing once a year when their comp is published at FYE; however, all that extra comp makes it worthwhile. Knowledge is power; the worker bees' problem is no one knows what their peers make which management exploits by paying people different amounts to do the same job.

In my mega corp, the range of salaries can be disparate for the same job. Anyone whose been at the company for more than 8-10 years is likely underpaid. Ignorance is bliss.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:35 pm

...if "bliss" is "being paid less", sure.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Thesaints wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:59 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Can't even begin to imagine why some on this thread would be ashamed of doing so, or anyway opposed to it.
I wouldn't be ashamed of doing so, but in my (personal) experience, this doesn't tend to work out so hot. The "I deserve a raise because I am a better performer than co-worker who I found out makes more than me" did not work out in my favor (the one time I tried it) and has not worked the dozens of times it's been proposed to me by my employees.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:40 pm

I work for a school and our pay and benefits are publicly available. I looked up what others make once. It was not very interesting information to me. We’re paid based on years of experience and level of education so people’s salaries are not generally surprising. I do nothing with this information.

The culture is different from the private sector with people not trying to keep their income a secret.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:45 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:40 pm
Thesaints wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:59 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
I wouldn't be ashamed of doing so, but in my (personal) experience, this doesn't tend to work out so hot. The "I deserve a raise because I am a better performer than co-worker who I found out makes more than me" did not work out in my favor (the one time I tried it) and has not worked the dozens of times it's been proposed to me by my employees.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It doesn't seem like the best approach to negotiate a raise

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:58 pm

bampf wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:15 pm
Comparison is the thief of joy..... I make enough, that's good enough for me.
+1 Some people say salary/money is the report card of life, but if you are happy with your life you do not need a report card to tell you how you're doing.

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:57 pm

student wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:52 pm
It is interesting to see that an assistant professor of accounting may earn 1.8 times as much as a full professor of history.
I wonder what the relative salaries are for graduates with an accounting major compared to those who majored in history.

student

Post by student » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Pigeye Brewster wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:57 pm
student wrote:
It is interesting to see that an assistant professor of accounting may earn 1.8 times as much as a full professor of history.
I wonder what the relative salaries are for graduates with an accounting major compared to those who majored in history.
Take a look at https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/ ... egemajors/ with many interesting data sets. Below give info for bachelor degree holders of accounting degrees and history degrees.

Accounting major median salary: $69,000
History major median salary: $54,000

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:15 pm

student wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:04 pm
Pigeye Brewster wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:57 pm
student wrote:
Take a look at https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/ ... egemajors/ with many interesting data sets. Below give info for bachelor degree holders of accounting degrees and history degrees.

Accounting major median salary: $69,000
History major median salary: $54,000
Interesting. And somewhat surprising (at least to me). Thanks.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:18 pm

Yes. I absolutely do. At my company, our hourly rates appear on our invoices to clients. So anyone responsible for approving invoices for their projects can see everyone’s salary. I keep a personal spreadsheet of them actually, and can see what everyone’s raise was, in hindsight. I use this information to determine my worth and see whether I need to make a case for a salary increase.

This is how I figured out that I only make about $1,000 less than a woman 5 years older with 5 more years of experience than me, in the same role as me.
Last edited by Glockenspiel on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:21 pm

I have been privy to organization-wide salary and benefit information my entire career. The information was needed for various work-related purposes.

I was always well paid so no need to use it personally. But, if I was underpaid, I would never refer to the information directly in salary negotiations. Rather, I would find market salary info to support my position.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

pasadena

Post by pasadena » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:21 pm

If it were public information, yes, absolutely. I would use the information as a guide for any regularly planned negotiation, but I would only react to it if there was some blatant unjustified difference.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:26 pm

I know my friends salaries. I don't understand why such a ordinary thing would be such a secret.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:29 pm

At a small companyin the 1980’s I printed payroll checks and knew what everyone made. Did the year end W2 too. I received good raises, si I was happy.

At megagcorp, at after work drinks sometimes information about salaries could be gleaned. I figured out I made at least 10k less than others - who were all men. I scheduled a meeting with the director, stated my concerns and let mgmt chew on it. In 3 months I had a very good raise. The key was to calmly state what I saw, and that I what I thought would be fair goven the similarityof work I produced. Didn’t demand moreimmediately, acknowledged the slowness of cjange at megacorp. No ruffled feathers, demands etc. just arequestfor review.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:55 pm

It’s a family forum, so use your imagination, but 98% of post pubescent people do something, 2% lie.

It can be interesting to see who has a higher salary and why it is that they have the salary. Is it brashness, confidence, verbal ability, work product? You can start to see what the organization values.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Salary transparency is extremely important, in particular to address the now well-acknowledged gender pay gap. Some people make more, some make less, but if the money is transparent than those setting the salary are held accountable to justify it by the employees crowdsourced peers at the company.

Years of experience, education, specialized skills and credentials, etc are all valid. “He’s the directors son-in-law”, “she is female”, and “well you just negotiated your salary poorly” aren’t.

Note this doesn’t apply to small family companies where anything goes and you leave if you don’t like the nepotism, I’m mostly talking about megacorps, public institutions, and government institutions.

financeidiot

Post by financeidiot » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:05 pm

Of course! What's the value of information if you don't use it?

Used for salary negotiation, determining my market rate, prioritizing new skills, and choosing next steps in my career. Seeing what folks 5-10 years further along are making and how they got there makes career planning much easier. Also useful to see how specific certifications change pay.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 pm

bampf wrote:
Comparison is the thief of joy. When I was younger I would have wanted to know. Now, I am pretty darn happy not to know and more importantly to care little. I make enough, that's good enough for me.
I don't care either.

But during the latest review cycle, I very politely made it known to the VP of my division that I was underpaid. The VP said he would talk to HR.

I thought that was mostly talk, but 2 weeks later he comes back and says I was right. Over the next two 6-monthly review cycles they will bring me up to the midpoint of my salary band.

student

Post by student » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:53 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 pm
bampf wrote:
I don't care either.

But during the latest review cycle, I very politely made it known to the VP of my division that I was underpaid. The VP said he would talk to HR.

I thought that was mostly talk, but 2 weeks later he comes back and says I was right. Over the next two 6-monthly review cycles they will bring me up to the midpoint of my salary band.
:sharebeer

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:11 am

Strayshot wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:40 pm
Salary transparency is extremely important, in particular to address the now well-acknowledged gender pay gap.
It's nothing "we acknowledged" about the gender pay gap. Plenty of studies found that is not gender based but type of work, length of work and maybe negotiation based.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:55 am

Yes, and you don't even have to be sneaky.

- I've had many managers drop ranges of their own or other colleagues' salaries. Sometimes out of frustration, sometimes out of business need.
- Accounting has messed up and accidentally leaked out the wrong spreadsheet!
- Internal job postings list salary grades at some companies.
- Contracting companies that are partners will list salary ranges when posting positions.
- Postings to be filled by a working visa position will list the exact salary.
- When contacted on LinkedIn for a position, ask the salary range to judge the market.
- Job postings on reddit frequently state salary ranges. Very handy to gauge the market.

Sometimes you're underpaid, sometimes you're overpaid. Some people get paid a lot and do zero work. I don't think companies put much effort into being "fair". When underpaid, look for another job if you want. The grass isn't always greener, but sometimes it is.

student

Post by student » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:31 am

Starfish wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:11 am
Strayshot wrote:
Salary transparency is extremely important, in particular to address the now well-acknowledged gender pay gap.
It's nothing "we acknowledged" about the gender pay gap. Plenty of studies found that is not gender based but type of work, length of work and maybe negotiation based.
I personally have not seen any gender pay gap. One thing about working at a public university with a rather rigid structure of starting salaries is that there is no gender pay gap. A position is authorized to pay $X and we offer $X.
Last edited by student on Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:58 am

I was a corporate software developer a couple of times when I was working with the payroll I would see all my departments payroll information when HR sent me a file of payroll data to crunch for some project.

I had pretty much hit the top of my paygrade by the time I was in my 30's so I was mainly surprised at how little some of the other people I worked with made. This included some of the IT managers who made more than I did but were regularly working much longer hours. In some cases I made more per hour than the higher paid workaholics. What was interesting was that as a staff IT worker I was making around what many of the non-IT mid level managers were making.

Adjusted for inflation I probably hit my peak earning years by the time I was in my late 40's. I was still well paid through my 50's and at that point I was mainly concerned about keeping my job until I was ready to retire so I really don't care that much what other people were making.

Just FYI, even if you do not work for a publicly traded company the salary information for the executives may still be listed on the EDGAR database. The reason for this if a privately held company sells bonds they are required to file much of the same information as a publicly traded company.

https://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/c ... earch.html

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:13 am

Starfish wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:11 am
Strayshot wrote:
This comment seems to be getting a bit off-topic, but I personally have knowledge of a very large, well known organization that commissioned an outside audit and found they did have significant gender-based pay gaps for women in the same positions, years of experience, and performance ratings as male colleagues. I do not know which studies have found there is no true gender-based pay gap, but every employer is an observation of "one" and no study can reliably conclude there is no gender-based pay gap anywhere.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:03 am

I've worked for public institutions with a public database. I did not look while working there (no interest in knowing a specific individual's salary).

Years later, I was considering a job change and used these databases for estimating salary range of the position: Google "LinkedIn [institution] [title]" to find individuals with similar positions and then pull salary from the database to collect a range for the position (also plotted vs years of service and promotion rates). It was very helpful and screened out some dead end/low pay positions.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:33 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:

It can be interesting to see who has a higher salary and why it is that they have the salary. Is it brashness, confidence, verbal ability, work product? You can start to see what the organization values.
In my anecdotal experience, it was being a friend of the hiring director. In my situation I was far more qualified and far more productive than 4 of my colleagues (on a 13 member team), who were hired 2yrs after I was. I was constantly having to handle their duties. I didn't even know they were making so much more than me until the director was fired and I was offered the job: the former director's friends were making more than I was offered as their director. One of the first things I did was let all them go for underperformance.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:15 am

If you work in an organization where there is a single compensation number (salary) I suppose this comparison could have some value. A comparison of the trend for multiple consecutive years would probably be more meaningful. Drawing conclusions from data representing a single snapshot in time is seldom wise.

But many companies today (not sure about public sector) have multiple time-varying "bonus" factors making up one's compensation, in addition to base salary. You couldn't draw any meaningful conclusions based on a snapshot of base salary. You also may not have proper perspective of the value to the organization of the contributions of others. So all this exercise would likely do is ruffle your feathers. Taking any action essentially requires you to question the judgment of your boss based on incomplete information, which usually doesn't end well.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:34 am

I look, although the only really interesting thing has been my own salary. According to public information, I took a huge pay cut a few years ago. In fact my pay has changed almost nothing in nominal dollars for many years, but the way the reporting has been done changes from time to time. So the point is that even within your own organization from year-to-year, and definitely between organizations even in the same year, reporting may vary, so the same job in two organizations might be reported as earning 30% or more different, when in fact both jobs have the identical pay. So it might be useful to know what the public information about you says, especially if it turns out not to reflect what you might have expected.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:43 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:33 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:

In my anecdotal experience, it was being a friend of the hiring director. In my situation I was far more qualified and far more productive than 4 of my colleagues (on a 13 member team), who were hired 2yrs after I was. I was constantly having to handle their duties. I didn't even know they were making so much more than me until the director was fired and I was offered the job: the former director's friends were making more than I was offered as their director. One of the first things I did was let all them go for underperformance.
Very poor director. Smart directors actively work at making sure that salaries are correct.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:53 am

Information is public.

Of course I look. Information is useful when you are negotiating salary.

Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:06 am

I worked at a company where the owner kept everyone's pay history in a spreadsheet on his computer. Of course, a help desk guy eventually got hold of it and before long it was all over the company. It led to a great deal of angst when people discovered other people making more than they did, especially when the higher earner wasn't a great employee.

It forever cemented in my mind the belief that there is not a strong correlation between what a person is paid and the value they add.
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." - Albert Einstein

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:20 am

I think it leads to a lot of angst. I worked on a benefits web application as a consultant once and all of the employee data was loaded in there. I didn’t spend a lot of time looking, but I did note people who seemed vastly overpaid and those who seemed to be getting screwed, with very little rhyme or reason.

My current company has published salary bands for each position in a particular job family and show you where you are at in the band. This doesn’t preclude people from being over or under the midpoint, but at least you know where you stand. The midpoints seem to be well researched and in line with industry pay. I will add that I think it is always a good idea to know what other companies are willing to pay for equivalent positions to your own. In many cases, you probably need to make a few jumps between companies early in your career to drive your salary up or you will forever be playing catch up.

farnsy

Post by farnsy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:57 am

When I got my job, I used public information about other folks' salaries (as well as competing offers) to negotiate mine. It's a no-brainer.

If I worked in an environment where I could negotiate for raises, I would use this information every year. At my job raises are not negotiated, though, so I haven't used it since then. I'll use public info the next time I change jobs.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:39 pm

I always worked in jobs where I knew what my coworkers were making, maybe not to the penny, but the general range. I left jobs twice because I thought I was underpaid and I didn't regret it either time, in fact, it felt fantastic (anecdotally, both companies went downhill after I left, but both were probably well on the path before that, which is why they didn't care that their salaries were not competitive).

There's no incentive for a company to review employees' performance and salary unless people are willing to leave their jobs for higher pay. This is difficult during recessions or periods of high unemployment, but during times like these, I feel it's your duty as a wage slave to keep track of the job market and go to jobs where you are valued the most.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:18 pm

Working on commission it's easy. Pull up a sales report and do the math.
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Tamales wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:15 am
If you work in an organization where there is a single compensation number (salary) I suppose this comparison could have some value. A comparison of the trend for multiple consecutive years would probably be more meaningful. Drawing conclusions from data representing a single snapshot in time is seldom wise.

But many companies today (not sure about public sector) have multiple time-varying "bonus" factors making up one's compensation, in addition to base salary. You couldn't draw any meaningful conclusions based on a snapshot of base salary. You also may not have proper perspective of the value to the organization of the contributions of others. So all this exercise would likely do is ruffle your feathers. Taking any action essentially requires you to question the judgment of your boss based on incomplete information, which usually doesn't end well.
Agreed. That being said, most public sectors that have these databases also publicly state their benefits packages or at very least can be dug up from glassdoor comments (less reliable, but is something): pension formulas, 403(b)/457 match, vacation, etc. It takes some digging, but generally, 10 min of Googling and a spreadsheet will get you in the ballpark.

On the other hand, it's uncommon for a private company to be transparent about salary.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:26 pm

The season of DEF 14A filings is upon us, including the CEO Pay Ratio Disclosure which reveals the median employee compensation. A quick scan of Silicon Valley tech median comp:

Twilio: 222k
Netflix: 202k
Workday: 188k
Citrix: 170k
Square: 155k
Salesforce: 152k

Any others of interest?

Includes everything: base, bonus, commission, stock & 401k match. Obviously can only compare with companies with majority of employees in the US

Cobra Commander

Post by Cobra Commander » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:19 pm

I work in the public sector and yes, I look.

I know I am underpaid relative to my peers since we use a matrix based on years of experience and HR must have screwed up when they did mine because I am below where I should be in the matrix.

There isn't anything I can do about it except regret that I didnt fight for a higher starting salary.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:26 pm

fourwheelcycle wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:58 pm
bampf wrote:
Comparison is the thief of joy..... I make enough, that's good enough for me.
+1 Some people say salary/money is the report card of life, but if you are happy with your life you do not need a report card to tell you how you're doing.
Maybe you could be happier...