Taking the new job or not?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
biscuit

Taking the new job or not?

Post by biscuit » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 am

I'm currently working for a MegaCorp tech company. The company has been great, I love my job and like my leadership/team. The timings are flexible and I recently got selected for the Leadership Development Program. I also work from home 99% of the time with little travel to MegaCorp headquarters.

I was approached for an opportunity from a non-Tech firm and I'm expecting an offer anytime soon. Below are the Pros and Cons and appreciate your thoughts on whether to take the new opportunity or not.

Current job:
Pros:
Work from home
I have two kids under 5 and my current job gives me lots of flexibility
I love my current role and i'm good at it
Although remote, I'm recognized for the work I do
My leadership recently nominated me for a 2-year leadership development program (I got selected for the program)

Cons:
Low salary compared to the market (Market value is a min. $25K more than my current salary)
I'm at the top of individual contributor role in the company and the next one would either be a people manager or one would have to continue to stay at the current level. I want to grow in my career. I just don't know whether I'd get the people manager opportunity considering that I work remote.

New Job:
Pros:
High salary ($30K base increase + bonus)
Opportunity to get a breadth of experience and growth
Based on my interactions, I like the team
We'd hit $300K HH income if I take this role (one of our goals for this year)

Cons:
Long commute (min. 1 hr each way. Might be longer with peak traffic)
One can work from home once a week; but not more than that

I've been trying to make a decision for a few days now and It's been hard. By staying in the current job, I can spend more time with my kids. for example, my 5-year-old wouldn't have to go to after-care when they starts school.

By taking the new job, I'd be able to grow in my career (wild assumption here as I don't know much about the company other than a few interactions with the people + Google search). But the min. 1 hr commute is killing it. It's a complete waste of 2 hours a day that I don't have. My family is suggesting I stay at that current job as the company promotes work-life balance, flexible, I just got a promotion and I have a good reputation within the company.

Thanks!
Last edited by biscuit on Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickBoglehead

Re: Taking the new job or not?

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:06 am

1) I cannot understand what each job pays.

2) You seem to lay out each job's pros and cons in such a way that the decision is obvious. I am confused as to what added value you think this forum can provide?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

time>money

Post by time>money » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:15 am

I suggest you explore what is so exciting to you about growing your career. You already have a job you love and zero commute. This is what many people aspire to achieve. Granted the new position pays more, but the commute will be costly and time-consuming. It’s very hard for me to see why you would give up what you have for this opportunity.

TDCumm16

Post by TDCumm16 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:28 am

Stick with your current job. You have two little kids - there are times in your life to chase career progression and times to enjoy the moment/family. Unless I misread your situation it seems your still are in a phase where you get time with the kids

Adding 8 hours per week of commuting + the extra hours at work to get up to speed and performing at a new job will take away at least 1 significant activity from you if not more (eg kid time, or workout routine, etc)

The salary was hard to understand but I got a $30K raise on an existing salary somewhere near $250k. Seems like a small overall bump on an already good wage

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:37 am

the commute (2+ hours per day) and loss of family time are huge. If kids weren't so young....

how much more $$ would be spent on commuting per year? (gas, vehicle ins, maintenance etc)

wise move (for now) seems to be to stay put

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:40 am

Stay. Commuting that far is tough. Work at home is a nice perk. The 1 day a week from the new job seems like it might be revoked at any time.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:43 am

I think you should stay. If you haven't been commuting recently, you don't have a fresh reference for just how soul-sucking a long commute is. It's a drain on your wallet and productivity that probably offsets a lot of the extra salary.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:09 am

Do not commute that distance! :oops:

It will indeed suck the life out of you, and weigh heavily on your family's well being.

My 44 mile commute home yesterday took 2.5 hours. It's killing me.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:57 am

No way would I take the new job. 2 hours a day is like working another 400-500 hrs a year. Add prep time. Then mileage, insurance and fuel costs. No way that’s an economic gain let alone a personal benefit.

Talk to your current leadership. Tell them you love what you do but keep getting calls that are hard to avoid. Ask for a raise. Do it with data, not emotion.

student

Post by student » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:06 am

Given your already high household income, I would stay at current job.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:12 am

You are thinking about trading a working from home for a job for one with a 2 hour daily commute, have two young kids, and would get a 10-15% raise?

Insanity!

Think about it this way: just to compensate you for the loss of time in commuting (for an 8 hour day) the raise would need to be a minimum of 25% just to break even.

No way no way.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:16 am

biscuit wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 am
I'm currently working for a MegaCorp tech company. The company has been great, I love my job and like my leadership/team. The timings are flexible and I recently got selected for the Leadership Development Program. I also work from home 99% of the time with little travel to MegaCorp headquarters.

I was approached for an opportunity from a non-Tech firm and I'm expecting an offer anytime soon. Below are the Pros and Cons and appreciate your thoughts on whether to take the new opportunity or not.

Current job:
Pros:
Work from home
I have two kids under 5 and my current job gives me lots of flexibility
I love my current role and i'm good at it
Although remote, I'm recognized for the work I do
My leadership recently nominated me for a 2-year leadership development program (I got selected for the program)

Cons:
Low salary compared to the market (Market value is a min. $25K more than my current salary)
I'm at the top of individual contributor role in the company and the next one would either be a people manager or one would have to continue to stay at the current level. I want to grow in my career. I just don't know whether I'd get the people manager opportunity considering that I work remote.

New Job:
Pros:
Opportunity to get a breadth of experience and growth
Based on my interactions, I like the team
We'd hit $300K HH income if I take this role (one of our goals for this year)

Cons:
One can work from home once a week; but not more than that

I've been trying to make a decision for a few days now and It's been hard. By staying in the current job, I can spend more time with my kids. for example, my 5-year-old wouldn't have to go to after-care when they starts school.

By taking the new job, I'd be able to grow in my career (wild assumption here as I don't know much about the company other than a few interactions with the people + Google search). But the min. 1 hr commute is killing it. It's a complete waste of 2 hours a day that I don't have. My family is suggesting I stay at that current job as the company promotes work-life balance, flexible, I just got a promotion and I have a good reputation within the company.

Thanks!
The new opportunity is not attractive enough to justify the commuting time, given the age of your children.

They only pass this way once. No one wants "I wish I had spent more time in my career" on their tombstone - at least no one with kids.

Note that job satisfaction (and life satisfaction) has an inverse correlation with time spent per day commuting. The effect is strongest if you drive yourself, and much weaker if you take public transport (that is reliable).

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:17 am

biscuit wrote:
That is a deal killer unless you are renting and could move closer to the new job.

If you decide that it is time to move on then keep looking for a different job.
biscuit wrote:
That is before taxes and commuting costs. Unless it is a huge bonus you would not be making a much more.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:54 am

I'd stay in your job. I have 2 kids 5 and under. I couldn't imagine the extra stress put on my wife and kids if I had to commute 2 hours a day. At age 5 your going to be shuttling kids to after school practices or activities as well. Also think about snow days (depending where you live), sick kids, and other factors.

In your next annual review maybe bring up that other companies are seeking you out and are offering more, what can be done to keep you?

Jayhawk11

Post by Jayhawk11 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:57 am

Hell no man. If you were making 30k and got a 30k raise; sure. But you're doing fine, and a commute will kill you and steal you from your family. And that family really needs you right now.

A 45 minute or longer commute increases your chance of divorce by 40%. Put that in your excel spreadsheet when weighing a cost-benefit analysis! https://www.menshealth.com/sex-women/a1 ... o-divorce/

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 am

Strayshot wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:12 am
You are thinking about trading a working from home for a job for one with a 2 hour daily commute, have two young kids, and would get a 10-15% raise?

Insanity!

Think about it this way: just to compensate you for the loss of time in commuting (for an 8 hour day) the raise would need to be a minimum of 25% just to break even.

No way no way.
+1. I wouldn't spend a second thinking about this. FWIW, I had a similar dilemma about 18 months ago. One of my employer's largest competitors offered me ~30% raise and the commute would have been <15min as opposed to an hour. I turned it down primarily because my current commute (7min walk) is amazing and I have a lot of freedom to work remotely; with 2 young kids (7 and 4) it makes things so much easier. Had my kids been older, I'd probably have given it some more thought.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:40 am

The extra costs of day care, more meals eaten out, higher commuting costs, and taxes should be subtracted. Then factor in increased stress (strain on your physical, mental, and emotional well-being). While it is hard to put a monetary value on this stuff, try doing it. Also factor in the pressure put on your family from having you around less. When you are around, would you be in a good mood and have energy left to give to your spouse and kids? Put a value on everything and decide if the additional compensation is still worthwhile.

Personally, I wouldn’t sell your time (your “life”) for too cheap a price.

slyfox1357

Post by slyfox1357 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:50 am

The answer is obvious, stay. Kids are a certain age only once, job opportunities will come along with time, and probably ones that are much more attractive than this one.

"They only pass this way once. No one wants "I wish I had spent more time in my career" on their tombstone - at least no one with kids."

Very odd qualifier on the end of this sentence, this is not exclusive to those 'with kids', this applies to everyone.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:52 am

Do not take the "new" job. Keep your current job.
"Knowledge and innocence are both excellent things, and they are both very funny. But it is right that knowledge should be the servant and innocence the master." - GK Chesterton

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:53 am

I would stay in current job.

Dave

fourkids

Post by fourkids » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:54 am

Career is a marathon, not a sprint.
1 hour commute, plus the loss of work from home is terrible. not worth the $30k increase.
when you're working and have young kids, your most valuable asset is time. don't give it up.
you can go for the promotion in a few years

playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:56 am

Pretty obvious No to me, although your personality could be different. I know people who view their career to be equally or more important than family time, as they are the breadwinners and feel they have to chase every dollar. That’s fine and works for them, but wouldn’t for me.
Long commute is awful!

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:04 am

Dave Ramsey has a great method of flipping financial questions around that has always helped me. The biggest con here is the traffic situation, so flip it around and ask yourself this:

For an extra $1000 (estimated after taxes and gas/car maintenance), would you spend two hours in traffic? Sit in that question for a couple of days, you will have your answer. By the way, that comes to $31.25 per hour (4 days a week, times 4 weeks in a month, times 2 hours a day/$1000). Is your time worth more than $31.25 per hour?

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:08 am

The commute would be a deal breaker for me, that's roughly 480 hours of your life a year at 1 hour each way. That's time you can't spend with your family, hobbies, health, or life in general. Studies have found the lack of money makes people unhappy but once you have an acceptable amount of income adding additional income doesn't increase happiness, I have very much found that to be true.

Topic Author
biscuit

Post by biscuit » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:17 pm

Thanks for your response. The answer is unanimous. :)