Job Offer Evaluation - FANG

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
pward

Re: Job Offer Evaluation - FANG

Post by pward » Sat May 25, 2019 4:33 pm

rj342 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:50 am
pward wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:41 pm
Being someone working as an engineer at a FANG company I can tell you that your offer seems very fair, so I don't think there's much room for negotiations. The only thing that sticks out to me as unattractive is only 10 days of vacation (I get unlimited PTO and that's really nice...). I mean at the end of the day how much you enjoy the company and team is the biggest thing, but even if you wind up not enjoying your time at this company getting some time at a big name does open a lot of doors and looks really good on a resume going forward...
Question re unlimited PTO -- How does that work in practice?
I've read about situations where people end up taking LESS vacation because they don't feel like there is a safe floor of what to take without getting into murky territory about pulling their weight in terms of time taken off versus pay.
Nobody at my company is afraid of taking PTO. Companies implement unlimited PTO for 3 reasons.

1) PTO counts as a liability on the companies balance sheet. So by having unlimited PTO it makes their balance sheet look better.

2) studies do indeed show that people take less time when they have PTO. Not because they don't feel safe, but because they don't feel like they are losing out on something they have earned if they don't take it. In practice, at least at my employer, everyone takes plenty of time off and I've never seen anyone get hassled about it. I'm sure there is a line that could be crossed, but I've never seen anyone push the boundary.

3) it looks good for prospective employees.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:35 pm

pward wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:33 pm
1) PTO counts as a liability on the companies balance sheet. So by having unlimited PTO it makes their balance sheet look better.
For companies that are very profitable :mrgreen:

Topic Author
Broadway2018

Post by Broadway2018 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:42 am

Update: I am a month into the job and am loving it. This was the best decision of my life! Seattle is great and the job is better than expected.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:03 am

Tech is crazy these days.

A 24 year old family member of mine just landed a $110k marketing job with total comp potential up to $140k. A 24 year old. In Marketing.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:36 am

Broadway2018 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:42 am
Update: I am a month into the job and am loving it. This was the best decision of my life! Seattle is great and the job is better than expected.
Wait until November before raving about Seattle...

StoopieHippo

Post by StoopieHippo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:40 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:36 am
Broadway2018 wrote:
Wait until November before raving about Seattle...
Hey, last November was mostly sunny! ;)

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
Congratulations. It's nice when things work out. The help offered on this board is stellar.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:12 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:03 am

A 24 year old family member of mine just landed a $110k marketing job with total comp potential up to $140k. A 24 year old. In Marketing.
It is crazy. Some of the valuations reek of 1998.

Sam1

Post by Sam1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:29 pm

Glad you accepted the job and it’s going well!

You saved me writing a long comment about how turning down this opportunity would be a huge mistake.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:57 pm

Traveler wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:12 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

I had tech companies poach two of my top employees (both microbiologists by education and training) recently, offering them nearly twice what I can pay for positions which they had no education or experience doing. Then 2 weeks ago I made an offer to recent grad who had focused her research on proteomics (which is a huge area of research in my field) and she tried to get me to match an offer from another local tech company that was more than 50% higher than I could pay (no idea what the offer was for, but it was a SAAS company, so likely nothing related to her education). I'm having a difficult time finding and keeping young talent because I'm competing, not against our industry competitors, but tech. My colleagues in HR, marketing, accounting, sales, etc. are finding it even more difficult. These are local (Utah)companies; at one of these companies, my former QA lab supervisor was the 11th employee (as a "technical project manager").

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:31 pm

38,000 ft wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:55 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:19 pm
I don't get this. Your time is worthless? It doesn't matter if you can make $XXX per hour elsewhere. Time is a finite resource. They are comparing two jobs...so hours worked is completely relevant.
Actually, yes! They don’t have kids. Most of the free time will be more or less wasted. Why not earn more now and advance your career, even if it’s at a lower hourly rate. I wish that I had gone to a tech company sooner. Part of the reason I did not was because I was too comfortable with my cushy job. Stress free and I worked less than 40 hours a week and made a good enough salary. But after ten years what did I have to show for all my free time? Nothing! Sure it was nice and relaxing but mostly I just read a lot of articles and books and watched a lot of TV and movies. Looking back now, I would much rather have spent that time working because I would be further in my career now and also at least have the extra $$ I would have earned.
Why would you assume that people would "waste their free hours" just because you decided in retrospect that you did? Everyone values their time differently and some may prioritize building relationships, having time for family and friends, maintaining their health through exercise, volunteering their time, etc. higher than you obviously do/did.

Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:52 pm

Traveler wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

Yeah it’s going to sting whenever this bubble inevitably bursts. These companies had a nice ride but I don’t think it’s sustainable

Waiting_for_Godot

Post by Waiting_for_Godot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:30 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:57 pm
Traveler wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

I had tech companies poach two of my top employees (both microbiologists by education and training) recently, offering them nearly twice what I can pay for positions which they had no education or experience doing. Then 2 weeks ago I made an offer to recent grad who had focused her research on proteomics (which is a huge area of research in my field) and she tried to get me to match an offer from another local tech company that was more than 50% higher than I could pay (no idea what the offer was for, but it was a SAAS company, so likely nothing related to her education). I'm having a difficult time finding and keeping young talent because I'm competing, not against our industry competitors, but tech. My colleagues in HR, marketing, accounting, sales, etc. are finding it even more difficult. These are local (Utah)companies; at one of these companies, my former QA lab supervisor was the 11th employee (as a "technical project manager").
I'm similarly trained in biology (original intent was medicine) and am considering making a similar move; I've also personally seen 4 folks leave bio to go to tech. At the least, many positions want biologists with experience in Python or R.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:59 am

Waiting_for_Godot wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:30 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:57 pm
Traveler wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

I'm similarly trained in biology (original intent was medicine) and am considering making a similar move; I've also personally seen 4 folks leave bio to go to tech. At the least, many positions want biologists with experience in Python or R.
A lot of the data scientists we hire come from the hard sciences. Mostly physics but some biologists. They know the tooling and have the math background. It's been a great fit for us.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 am

Traveler wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

You mean 1999 & 2000, right? The Nasdaq more than doubled from the end of 1998 through March 2000.