Anyone Having Trouble with PNC?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
drawpoker

Anyone Having Trouble with PNC?

Post by drawpoker »

This morning for the 2nd time in less than a week I get an email from PNC telling me my online banking access has been suspended "due to multiple attempts using the incorrect credentials (user ID/and/or password) to sign on".

It then goes on giving instructions how to go in and change both user name and password. So, as time-consuming and annoying as it is, I did exactly that. But, this time, I also sent an email complaining. I told them very nicely I don't believe anyone was actually trying to hack into my account, I think the problem is that their own system has gone haywire somehow, and is sending out these notices to depositors willy-nilly. (It will be 24 hrs before I get a reply)

Anyone else having this same thing going on with PNC? Both notices of suspension say it applies to both Online Banking and Voice Banking, altho I never signed up for the Voice thingy. 1st one was generated at 9:30 on a Friday nite, latest one at 9:30 a.m., which is also leading me to think their own security software has a screw loose. :o
wolf359

Re: Anyone Having Trouble with PNC?

Post by wolf359 »

drawpoker wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 pm This morning for the 2nd time in less than a week I get an email from PNC telling me my online banking access has been suspended "due to multiple attempts using the incorrect credentials (user ID/and/or password) to sign on".

It then goes on giving instructions how to go in and change both user name and password. So, as time-consuming and annoying as it is, I did exactly that. But, this time, I also sent an email complaining. I told them very nicely I don't believe anyone was actually trying to hack into my account, I think the problem is that their own system has gone haywire somehow, and is sending out these notices to depositors willy-nilly. (It will be 24 hrs before I get a reply)

Anyone else having this same thing going on with PNC? Both notices of suspension say it applies to both Online Banking and Voice Banking, altho I never signed up for the Voice thingy. 1st one was generated at 9:30 on a Friday nite, latest one at 9:30 a.m., which is also leading me to think their own security software has a screw loose. :o
Are you sure the notices are coming from PNC? One common hacking attack is to send those e-mails out in hopes that you follow the links in the e-mail. When you change your password using those compromised links, you give your credentials to the bad guys.

Check the sender and make sure the domains match what they say. In addition, don't use e-mail links provided in the message to go to the site.

Phishing attacks of this nature are often sent out by spam bots, so you may get more than one.
Topic Author
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

No, the emails are genuine, not fakes.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Why are you sure PNC is at fault? I confess that I once caused such a problem for some other customer of my insurance company. I had my username incorrect. The username that I was attempting to use belonged to someone else. I locked that other individual out of her account twice before I realized my mistake.

And Voice banking is what PNC calls their telephone banking now that you can either push the buttons on a touchstone phone or respond by voice.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

Do you use an account aggregator site (Personal Capital, Mint, etc)?

I got locked out of an account a couple times before and determined that it was most likely because of Personal Capital trying to connect to my account. When I removed that account from Personal Capital, I stopped getting locked out.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The one time I had this problem (with a different bank), it was Quicken logging in with the wrong password.

Many financial websites have a way of telling you where the logins came from. Have you checked if PNC does this?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
hershey102d

Post by hershey102d »

PNC also offers two factor authentication. However, while it does work on desktop you (and the bad guys) can still access your account on PNC mobile apps using only username and password. What’s the point of offering 2FA if it does not apply across all platforms???
nolesrule

Post by nolesrule »

I got the same email about a week ago. I didn't use any links to the email, but pulled up the site and tried to log in. It told me I needed to reset.

There have been some data breaches lately that contained usernames and passwords, so if the username was in that breach, it's likely someone trying to see if the credentials will work at PNC.
calqueuelater

Post by calqueuelater »

The PNC notices are legit; I also received one last week and had to reset my password.
Topic Author
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:54 pm Many financial websites have a way of telling you where the logins came from. Have you checked if PNC does this?
Thanks. I will definitely ask if they don't volunteer the info in their reply.
Topic Author
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

nolesrule wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:02 pm I got the same email about a week ago. I didn't use any links to the email, but pulled up the site and tried to log in. It told me I needed to reset.....
by calqueuelater ......The PNC notices are legit; I also received one last week and had to reset my password...
Did either of you guys contact PNC? To see if these "alerts" were generated by the bank's faulty software?
Topic Author
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Katietsu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 pm Why are you sure PNC is at fault? I confess that I once caused such a problem for some other customer of my insurance company. I had my username incorrect. The username that I was attempting to use belonged to someone else. I locked that other individual out of her account twice before I realized my mistake....
No, that's not it.

The PNC email alerts are clearly spelling out two scenarios - 1) If you did this yourself (because you forgot your user name or password, locked yourself out, do this:
The more sinister is the 2nd one so described - 2) If you are not the one who made multiple attempts to sign in, then do this, yada, yada, yada.

So, there's no question about that part. I deliberately picked a user name that would be very, very hard for someone to guess.
Jim21713

Post by Jim21713 »

We had several of the PNC emails over the past few weeks requiring password reset. My wife called to inquire why we were receiving the emails and was told that there had been fraudulent activity in the "area". We are in Maryland.

I suspect that PNC has probably been hacked and this is one way for them to obtain customer password changes without releasing the damaging information that the bank was hacked.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

drawpoker wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:23 pm
Katietsu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 pm Why are you sure PNC is at fault? I confess that I once caused such a problem for some other customer of my insurance company. I had my username incorrect. The username that I was attempting to use belonged to someone else. I locked that other individual out of her account twice before I realized my mistake....
No, that's not it.

The PNC email alerts are clearly spelling out two scenarios - 1) If you did this yourself (because you forgot your user name or password, locked yourself out, do this:
The more sinister is the 2nd one so described - 2) If you are not the one who made multiple attempts to sign in, then do this, yada, yada, yada.

So, there's no question about that part. I deliberately picked a user name that would be very, very hard for someone to guess.
Sometimes the bad guys don't guess the user name. They just get a dump from a site that has been successfully compromised.

If you want to check if your identifier has been previously revealed in a compromise, visit https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Don't trust some random internet stranger before following this link or any other security advice. Look it up with google, check with reputable sources, and decide for yourself.
Topic Author
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Uh oh. Thanks JIm21713 (I am in Maryland too)

So, sounds like there is something to this after all :?: FWIW, I was told both times to reset both user name and password.

Whatever reply they send me will post it here.

Looks like I may have to apologize to bank. For suggesting they didn't know elbow from other well-known part of anatomy. :oops:
Topic Author
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:12 pm
If you want to check if your identifier has been previously revealed in a compromise, visit https://haveibeenpwned.com/
Thanks for the link. I entered my email and got back the message "Good news, no pwned found"

What next? :?
NoblesvilleIN

Post by NoblesvilleIN »

My wife got the email today and had issues changing our user id and password - we share the login, but use her email as the contact. After a few tries, the website told her that the next try would lock things up. I tried on my laptop when she got home and was able to keep the userid and changed the password. Her email was showing as "pwnd" on the above mentioned link. So we are back in business with the original userid and a new password. I checked our recent statement and current charges and nothing seems unusual.
Soporific

Post by Soporific »

I got two of these within the last week. I suspect some bad guys are trying to brute force a login. Af†er the second suspension, I changed my username to something far more complex. So far, no further suspensions.
Cardinalsfan

Post by Cardinalsfan »

I got that email as well. Logged in from a different method and had no issue logging in. Made me suspicious so I called pnc and reported the email. Was told that it was indeed a phishing scam. Had me forward the email to abuse@pnc.com.
It looked so legit that it made me suspect.
Crazy times....
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I got multiple emails like this from PNC too. I changed my password, and then just a day later it happened again. I called PNC and they confirmed that my account was locked. I ended up changing my username. I thought that there might be a person using a similar username. But now that multiple people are having issues, I’m wondering what’s going on
Howie

Post by Howie »

I've received this email three or so times over the past couple of months. I assumed it was a result of Personal Capital fouling something up as it periodically updated its aggregating information but now I'm not so sure. Each time I've gone through the process of setting up a new password and got back on track- until the next email from PNC when I would wash, rinse, repeat.
Topic Author
drawpoker

UPDATE:

Post by drawpoker »

This is the answer I got from using the PNC email portal:

04/17/2019

"Thank you for your secure message. I apologize about your inconvenience, but the reason why you may be locked out of your account is because someone may have a User ID that is similar to yours. When they are entering that information incorrectly it will bring up your security questions. Since that person does not have that information, it will lock you out of Online Banking. For an additional layered security, we would recommend creating a more challenging User Id.

If there are any other questions or concerns, you may contact us"..
yada yada yada

And here is what I got after forwarding the original email to the PNC Fraud dept:

"Thank you for your recent submission to the PNC Abuse Box. A third party has repeatedly attempted to access your account via your current user ID, resulting in account lockouts. To secure your account, we recommend changing your user ID and password.

Please follow the steps below to reset your password and user ID. It’s important to choose a user ID and password you haven’t used before, and that you only use with PNC."

Notice how #1 tries to paint it as an innocent mistake on the part of someone; I highlighted #2 in red as, the way it is worded, it distinctly sounds more sinister than #1. :(

Add to all this - Jim21713 - also from Maryland - who posted when his wife called PNC by phone to inquire - she was told the bank had documented "fraudulent activity" going on. Wish they would get their stories straight :annoyed