Mixing HDHP/HSA and PPO plans within a family.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
masterofinvesting

Mixing HDHP/HSA and PPO plans within a family.

Post by masterofinvesting » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi,

I have a question related to mixing HDHPs and PPOs. Presently, I have HDHP/HSA with family coverage that covers myself, my spouse and my child. My wife recently got a job at a company that offers only non-HDHP (PPO) plans (with low Copays per visit and no premiums). She is OK to switch to her employer's plan (which might involve changing doctors), but if she chooses the PPO plan for herself alone, can I still keep my HSA and contribute the family max ($6750) - as it covers both me and my child?

Has anyone done something similar? Google tells me to watch out for gotchas such as - we cannot contribute to a regular FSA (I do have a LPFSA at work which I contribute to). But, I am wondering if I have any other gotchas or tax consequences to worry about?

Appreciate any help and guidance!

Thanks!

tfb

Re: Mixing HDHP/HSA and PPO plans within a family.

Post by tfb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:44 pm

masterofinvesting wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:50 pm
if she chooses the PPO plan for herself alone, can I still keep my HSA and contribute the family max ($6750) - as it covers both me and my child?
Yes, with the caveat you already knew about her not signing up for general-purpose FSA. The family max is $7,000 in 2019.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.