Social Security retirement benefits application: "Do you expect to die within a year?"

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
seugene

Social Security retirement benefits application: "Do you expect to die within a year?"

Post by seugene » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:18 am

Hi All,

A friend just helped somebody apply for Social Security retirement benefits. The applicant has a reduced life expectancy because of a serious illness. For some reason that neither my friend nor I can understand, the Social Security application asked if "you [the applicant] are ill and expect to die within a year". Why would they ask that on a retirement benefits claim form?

Just to clarify, this was not a disability claim. I know disability claims for people with terminal illnesses are processed faster, Social Security Administration says. Is there a potential benefit that a retirement benefits applicant can get if they are disabled and have a shortened life expectancy?

Ron

Re: Social Security retirement benefits application: "Do you expect to die within a year?"

Post by Ron » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:30 am

I assume that it has to do with getting six months of retroactive benefits in a lump sum, assuming the person was SS eligible for those prior six months.

- Ron

Topic Author
seugene

Re: Social Security retirement benefits application: "Do you expect to die within a year?"

Post by seugene » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 am

Ron wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:30 am
I assume that it has to do with getting six months of retroactive benefits in a lump sum, assuming the person was SS eligible for those prior six months.
Anybody older than their full retirement age can get retroactive benefits though, I understand. They do not need to have a shortened life expectancy. My question stands then - why do they ask about this?

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 am

Anybody older than their full retirement age can get retroactive benefits though, I understand.
Most people have not the faintest ideas of the SS rules about retro pay.....