Site for Car Rental in Major City

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
J295

Site for Car Rental in Major City

Post by J295 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:48 pm

Please recommend your favorite site for renting an auto (in this case SUV and mini van). Will be at airport (Midway in Chicago; and another trip in Albuquerque).

Thanks.

JohnFiscal

Re: Site for Car Rental in Major City

Post by JohnFiscal » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:17 pm

My fave site is Enterprise.com as Enterprise is my preferred vendor. Though I will use other companies. Typically I’ll get an idea of prices by shopping at Expedia or Travelocity (owned by same company), then deal direct. Last summer I did get a bargain on rental car through the Marriott hotel site in conjunction with hotel room.

Topic Author
J295

Post by J295 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks

Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Are you a Costco member? I've gotten good deals a few times renting a car on Costco's travel site. If you rent through Costco, you can add a second driver for no extra charge with Alamo and Avis, and maybe also Enterprise and Budget.

StealthRabbit

Post by StealthRabbit » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:35 am

"off-Airport" rental location can be cheaper (if that is important) Airport tax can be as high as $15-$20 / day, but... some regions tax the entire county same as airport, and getting transport to site and accessible hours can be a problem. (Can use Uber or Lyft if it is worth the savings).

Enterprise can be very good for local rentals, as they will come and pick you up (but not from Airport, if they have a site there).

You can check different sites, Costco recently has been pretty good (especially internationally).

But I have a discount code for a couple main agencies, and I check Hotwire and SWA (car rental section) sites to validate best deal.

ABQ rental cars can be really expensive during Balloon Fiesta!!! Last yr I flew to ELP and drove up to ABQ for Fiesta.

My Last rental at MDW was ~ $24/ day unlimited mileage. I have been spoiled by $5/ day cars in the past (specials), but not lately. That is why I check various agencies often. Even after I book. I change agencies if rates decrease before I show up.

I would love to find a better deal (such as an agreement with a particular agency for a low rate for 50+ rentals / yr).

paulsalem

Post by paulsalem » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:05 am

I rent a ton of cars. You can't beat www.autoslash.com

StopIroningShirts

Post by StopIroningShirts » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:04 am

Big fan of Costco Travel or Autoslash. You can also just use an aggregator site like Expedia to start to help guide you to the right company/pickup spot.

I like Costco Travel because I can compare both on-site and off-site rental car pickups. If you're landing/departing comfortably within 9am and 5pm, taking ride-share to an off-site car rental can save you some money depending on the airport fees. I just booked a trip in/out of Charleston, SC and the pickup/dropoff fees were almost $100 while the offsite rental place is only a $12 ride from the airport.

Always remember to bring proof of insurance with you or keep it on your phone if you're picking up offsite. One difference than using the airport

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:15 am

If I'm traveling by air I have a pretty low tolerance for any hassles in picking up a car, even if it costs somewhat more (and yes, it's always my money.) If the difference is many hundreds of dollars, you might get me to go off-airport. Otherwise I've only rented off-airport if, for example, I can get a free shuttle to my hotel and then pick up a rental car very near there. The combination of pickup and drop-off process is a significant factor for me. When returning, I try to always be early anyway, even dropping at an airport facility, but off-airport, I'd have to be super-early with off-airport to limit stress. And sometimes with off-airport you have to deal with limited hours vs. the airport - so when your flight is late, now you've got no car (actually that happened to me at a major airport - I couldn't believe it, it was a major car rental company too, it was one of the DC airports, but wow, a few minutes after midnight and they were closed!)

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:40 am

J295 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:48 pm
Please recommend your favorite site for renting an auto (in this case SUV and mini van). Will be at airport (Midway in Chicago; and another trip in Albuquerque).

Thanks.
Do you work for a large employer? DW works for a university and we get a huge corporate discount with the big companies--almost half of what we would pay as an individual. It would be worth checking your HR benefits.