Sending Certified Mail to IRS via Stamps.com SDC-3820 Envelopes

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
southerndoc

Sending Certified Mail to IRS via Stamps.com SDC-3820 Envelopes

Post by southerndoc » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Does anyone use the SDC-3820 envelope from Stamps.com to send in IRS payments/returns/extensions?

I started to use one this morning since I have a Stamps account. They aren't the easiest to open once delivered, and I'm not sure how an automated letter opener would handle one. Would hate for a check to get damaged so that they can't process it.

Curious if anyone is using them.

TheGreyingDuke

Re: Sending Certified Mail to IRS via Stamps.com SDC-3820 Envelopes

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Mail? Certified? Checks?

Why?
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:13 pm

I know this doesn't answer your question, but like others here, I've had bad experiences with normal certified mail to the IRS. In several cases, the USPS online system never reported the mail piece as delivered even months after it was obvious that the IRS had received the mail. Now that I can pay both my State and Federal taxes online, that's all I do. I kind of miss writing the check and sealing the envelope, but I definitely don't miss the anxiety of waiting to see when or if my envelope was delivered.

Topic Author
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:44 pm

When their system didn't report it as delivered, did you at least get the return receipt card?

depressed

Post by depressed » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:15 pm

I was told by the postal clerks that electronic delivery tracking is not guaranteed for mail to the IRS, even if the letter is certified. At mailing time, though, you can request a return receipt on a certified letter for an additional fee. My return receipt from the IRS came back to me in 16 days this year. I don't use special envelopes.

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:25 am

I send it regular mail. Never had a problem.