Young And Senior Community

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
betera

Young And Senior Community

Post by betera » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Hello Forum,

We are a childless couple living in a rural area. We have a good job and the flexibility to live elsewhere 3-4 months a year. We don’t like yards and homeownership in general. There aren’t many housing options. No nice apartments. A realtor suggested we consider a new condo in a senior community. To our surprise, we liked the place. The quality is much better than other places and the price is good. The board is fine with a percentage of the condo owners being under 55.

What are some questions we should be asking?

Thanks!
betera

adamthesmythe

Re: Young And Senior Community

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:38 pm

Well, do you like being around wrinklies?

Other than that, I think the usual questions about inspections, construction, resale, and amenities apply.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Will restrictions about age of owners make it difficult for you to sell in the future to someone else under 55, if someone is interested? Or is "your" unit now protected for you to resell to someone else like you (even if you are then over 55)?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:36 am

We moved to a 55+ community in Arizona at ages 48 /45. It was a good move for us. We got some strange looks for a period . . .and once were admonished "you are too young to live here!" It has been 18-years and the looks and comments have ceased. Our community allows 20% of residents to be as young as age 40. But no kids! Which is good, because I am allergic to kid noises . . .

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:43 am

Be aware that senior communities are usually filled with people who are home all day, and for better or worse, sometimes there's a few that are very nosy into what everybody else in the neighborhood is doing. If you expect to be living elsewhere a few months of the year, this may be a good thing to have people that might be looking after your place, might not if nosy people get on your nerves or you get on the wrong side of the neighborhood drama composer.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

yohac

Post by yohac » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:52 am

On the plus side, you generally don't have to worry about loud music and all-night hot tub parties.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:06 am

We lived for 16 months in an over 55 community. It was a furnished rental and we were there because our home burned and we were rebuilding and this rental was close to our rebuild. We liked it- it was quiet and the neighbors were friendly-not nosy.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:31 am

Isn't there a 30 year requirement to cater to 55+ for some tax break? A local senior apt complex recently hit that mark and changed overnight. Maybe it's just a HUD thing? They did have reduced rent, but then it shot up.

There is a very nice 55+ development of double-wides near me and I'd move there in a minute but it is coming up on 30 years too. Will they start taking families with kids?

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 am

We are about to purchase in a new 55+ community. We looked at many established communities, where the average age was higher. We found that at new communities, still under construction, the average age is lower and everyone is extremely friendly because everyone is new and looking to make new friends. What I did to assess the neighborhood: hung out at the fitness center and the bar. Picked a community where people are very fit and very friendly.

Our community likes to talk about its low average age. I guess that's something the communities track and report. You could ask about the average age at the community you are looking at.

juliewongferra

Post by juliewongferra » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:28 pm

yohac wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:52 am
On the plus side, you generally don't have to worry about loud music and all-night hot tub parties.
This is wrong. You do have to worry about loud music because seniors have bad hearing and need to turn up the volume. And it isn't just music, it's also television, so I hope you like 60 Minutes. As for hot tub parties, seniors are very, very sexually active for two reasons: (1) many grew up during the summer of love, and have that style imprinted in their mindset and (2) reduced fear of pregnancy. In fact, STDs for seniors are on the rise for this reason.

cheers,
jwf
If you aren't familiar with Mr. Bogle and his investment philosophy, then you don't know Jack!

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:03 am

The real intangible is how will/do you feel about living with older folks. I'm retired, late sixties and live in a community like you're describing. I love it but sometimes it's gets a bit depressing when attending activities/functions with the ole folks. Would you just be buying because it's new....walk around, talk to residents. Good luck.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.