Relocating to Seattle from Baltimore Area

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Broadway2018

Relocating to Seattle from Baltimore Area

Post by Broadway2018 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:50 pm

For the past several months, I have been interviewing for a role in Seattle. I was unsure about moving, but the company is highly sought after so I continued interviewing not really thinking I would get the offer.

Well, I went to on-site interviews last week and secured an offer! The pay is well above what I make - detail below.

Current Life Situation: 30, no kids, own a home in MD with my fiance. Make about $135k and she makes $95k. I work remote and have a lot of flexibility and great benefits.

Job Offer: Relocation package to Seattle, includes covering realtor fees. $150k + ~$60k stock a year = ~$210k total comp. Have to go to an office every day, but will be working at FANG company. This could really set me up for my career.

Thoughts? I am going to try negotiating for more, but not even sure where to start. I really like the idea of moving to Seattle, however, am worried since everyone says the cost of living is high. We pay about $2400 a month on our mortgage and renting seems comparable, granted it would be renting something smaller.

thx1138

Re: Relocating to Seattle from Baltimore Area

Post by thx1138 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Is your fiancé going to find work easily at her current salary or higher? That’s a critical variable.

If it is the A in FANG factor in they aren’t well known for fostering a good work/life balance so depending on what your current work environment is your per hour compensation may not be going up as much as expected. Also factor in commute time to that as it sounds like you have zero commute at present.

Baltimore isn’t low COL by any means so the change isn’t going to be as dramatic as moving from say the Midwest.

Renting seems very sensible and downsizing your living space also super sensible if moving to a high housing cost area.

Congrats on the offer!

Topic Author
Broadway2018

Post by Broadway2018 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:12 pm

thx1138 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:10 pm
Is your fiancé going to find work easily at her current salary or higher? That’s a critical variable.

If it is the A in FANG factor in they aren’t well known for fostering a good work/life balance so depending on what your current work environment is your per hour compensation may not be going up as much as expected. Also factor in commute time to that as it sounds like you have zero commute at present.

Baltimore isn’t low COL by any means so the change isn’t going to be as dramatic as moving from say the Midwest.

Renting seems very sensible and downsizing your living space also super sensible if moving to a high housing cost area.

Congrats on the offer!
I know the work life balance will not be as good. I currently work 40-45 hours from home and expect that to go up to 55 or so plus a commute. But I do feel career wise it is a hard opportunity to pass up. I have no kids so I could go for it and put the time in. My fiance should be able to find something making at least $95k if not more. She works in education so shouldn't be an issue. Also, we both would like to live on the west coast.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:50 pm
Job Offer: Relocation package to Seattle, includes covering realtor fees. $150k + ~$60k stock a year = ~$210k total comp. Have to go to an office every day, but will be working at FANG company. This could really set me up for my career.

Thoughts? I am going to try negotiating for more, but not even sure where to start. I really like the idea of moving to Seattle, however, am worried since everyone says the cost of living is high.
I dunno what role you got offered a job for but $210k total comp is very good for a developer in Seattle at Amazon/Facebook/Google. It's not Silicon Valley and you won't get the same salaries here as you do there. I wouldn't try to negotiate based on what you see people making down there.

Seattle is a great place to be if you like the outdoors, I love it here. Congrats on the offer! But keep in mind you'll have to shuffle past smelly tents, homeless people, and human feces, every day on your way to and from your 6 figure job.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:20 pm

has to amazon, I am in NJ and got am email asking me to send my resume for an accounting position in Seattle, but wife wont relocate. To me the biggest factor would be fiancé and family, is she willing to move, are you attached to Balt due to family. Balt is a [removed by moderator oldcomputerguy] of a city, so I wouldn't think twice about moving if you can and amazon is a well known company and I am sure great for your resume....

As long as no strong family ties, and Fiance can find a similar job in Seattle, Id take it.

Topic Author
Broadway2018

Post by Broadway2018 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:21 pm

DonIce wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:17 pm
Broadway2018 wrote:

Thoughts? I am going to try negotiating for more, but not even sure where to start. I really like the idea of moving to Seattle, however, am worried since everyone says the cost of living is high.
I dunno what role you got offered a job for but $210k total comp is very good for a developer in Seattle at Amazon/Facebook/Google. It's not Silicon Valley and you won't get the same salaries here as you do there. I wouldn't try to negotiate based on what you see people making down there.

Seattle is a great place to be if you like the outdoors, I love it here. But keep in mind you'll have to shuffle past smelly tents, homeless people, and human feces, every day on your way to and from your 6 figure job.
I am coming in as a mid-level manager and was hoping for $250k. I am hopeful I can negotiate a little due to the cost of living being so high. Also, Baltimore has high crime, tons of homeless, and equally has issues.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Taking that job and relocating seems like a no-brainier to me.

Congratulations!
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:29 pm

From a negotiation perspective you are making $135k “Baltimore dollars” for say 44 hrs of work and commute. Or about $60 MD$/hr. COLA about 25% higher in Seattle so that’s about $75 WA/hr.

The are offering you $210k “Seattle” dollars for about 55 hrs of work and commute. Or about $73WA/hr.

So from a negotiation perspective you can claim even with the stock package you are taking a “pay cut” to go there.

The reality though is that the discretionary end of things doesn’t necessarily work that way and by controlling housing costs you could end up with more money to save for retirement. And if your current job would not compensate you if you increased your work hours then the above “negotiation” perspective of a COL adjusted hourly rate is fictitious and so those additional hours worked at the new job will generate real additional increase your savings rate.

Since it sounds like you consider it a good career move regardless of compensation and you both want to be on the west coast anyway that this is likely an opportunity to take.

upperleftcoast

Post by upperleftcoast » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Seattle is great. Two main obstacles: COL and traffic. Both can be minimized.
Pick a good neighborhood with a reasonable commute. Public transit. Your company will pay.
Mild climate, easy living. The rain is overrated.
I make far less than you (single, no kids) and have a fantastic life in Seattle. Came from the East Coast too. You should be fine.
Loads of activities outside of work. And when you need a break the airport is right down the road.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:01 pm

:sharebeer Have you spent much time in Seattle? I lived there for a bit over a year and I’m originally from the east coast.

I moved there for the outdoors and loved the nature, scenery, hiking, and skiing within a short distance of the city.

What I hated about it and ultimately led me to leave was the people. There’s a pervasive passive aggressive attitude and arrogance amongst many people there.

Don’t get me wrong I made many good friends and it does not apply to everyone, but compared to east coast, it’s a snails pace and you never know where you truly stand in other people’s eyes. They’ll tell you everything is great and behind your back talk about how much they dislike you. There a lot of talk about tolerance and diversity but it’s purely talk. Voice an opinion that’s not widely held there and you’ll be ostracized. Ive had a few conversations where people couldn’t believe I supported capitalism and this is in conversations with colleagues making 2-300k a year in tech. The hypocrisy is real and it’s pathetic.

Many people there are also completely ignorant of their surroundings. They’ll be driving 55mph in the left lane of a 2 lane road with a 60mph speed limit when nobody is in the right lane or they will be in the blind spot of a car in the right lane and just sit there ambivalent to the faster moving traffic and the Washington state law saying that you need to stay in the right most lane except to pass.

This mentality translates to pretty much every day life there. People randomly cut in front of others in grocery store lines and pretend they don’t see you because they don’t expect you will call them out on it (very passive culture remember). This happened to me many times and another friend from the east coast who moved out there and still lives there. The line cutters were shocked my friend and I actually called them out on it like nobody has ever said anything to them before for being rude.

I know that sounds very negative, but I did enjoy many things about Seattle and made many good friends. But it will be a culture shock for you and I think you will learn and grow from the experience. It feels like a completely different country from the east coast, and learning how other people see things was fascinating and a great growth experience for me. Ultimately though, it was a fun time but I couldn’t stay long term, was like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
For the past several months, I have been interviewing for a role in Seattle. I was unsure about moving, but the company is highly sought after so I continued interviewing not really thinking I would get the offer.

Well, I went to on-site interviews last week and secured an offer! The pay is well above what I make - detail below.

Current Life Situation: 30, no kids, own a home in MD with my fiance. Make about $135k and she makes $95k. I work remote and have a lot of flexibility and great benefits.

Thoughts? I am going to try negotiating for more, but not even sure where to start. I really like the idea of moving to Seattle, however, am worried since everyone says the cost of living is high. We pay about $2400 a month on our mortgage and renting seems comparable, granted it would be renting something smaller.
I'd negotiate something other than realtor fees as without kids I'd strongly encourage you lease a condo right within walking distance of your office and not own a car. That will save you a lot of commute time. $150-$210k is plenty to live on plus whatever your fiancé can pull in, but you really want to avoid a commute in Seattle if possible.

Will you be ok with the weather and the homelessness/drug problem up here? And the politics which may (or may not) permit the latter? It's a huge part of the conversation right now and you should be very aware of it.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:01 pm
:sharebeer Have you spent much time in Seattle? I lived there for a bit over a year and I’m originally from the east coast.

I moved there for the outdoors and loved the nature, scenery, hiking, and skiing within a short distance of the city.

What I hated about it and ultimately led me to leave was the people. There’s a pervasive passive aggressive attitude and arrogance amongst many people there.

Don’t get me wrong I made many good friends and it does not apply to everyone, but compared to east coast, it’s a snails pace and you never know where you truly stand in other people’s eyes. They’ll tell you everything is great and behind your back talk about how much they dislike you. There a lot of talk about tolerance and diversity but it’s purely talk. Voice an opinion that’s not widely held there and you’ll be ostracized. Ive had a few conversations where people couldn’t believe I supported capitalism and this is in conversations with colleagues making 2-300k a year in tech. The hypocrisy is real and it’s pathetic.

Many people there are also completely ignorant of their surroundings. They’ll be driving 55mph in the left lane of a 2 lane road with a 60mph speed limit when nobody is in the right lane or they will be in the blind spot of a car in the right lane and just sit there ambivalent to the faster moving traffic and the Washington state law saying that you need to stay in the right most lane except to pass.

This mentality translates to pretty much every day life there. People randomly cut in front of others in grocery store lines and pretend they don’t see you because they don’t expect you will call them out on it (very passive culture remember). This happened to me many times and another friend from the east coast who moved out there and still lives there. The line cutters were shocked my friend and I actually called them out on it like nobody has ever said anything to them before for being rude.

I know that sounds very negative, but I did enjoy many things about Seattle and made many good friends. But it will be a culture shock for you and I think you will learn and grow from the experience. It feels like a completely different country from the east coast, and learning how other people see things was fascinating and a great growth experience for me. Ultimately though, it was a fun time but I couldn’t stay long term, was like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
This is typical Seattle culture. Get use to it and you will be fine.

rv26

Post by rv26 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:18 pm

As someone who made the same move 6 years ago, I will tell you the cost of living from Baltimore to Seattle is going to be dramatic. The housing situation in the Seattle and even in the east side communities is bad. The homeless situation in Seattle is much worse than in Baltimore.

I will say that if you're an outdoor person, Seattle is a great. Skiing is about an 1 and half hours away, hiking is about an hour away and the area is very biker and jogger friendly.

I actually moved from the Seattle area (I lived in Bellevue and worked at Amazon) to Chicago 2 years ago. I do miss the weather but the culture in Seattle is a little different than I was used to living on the East Coast.

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:50 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
I am a longtime Seattle resident and have literally never encountered this behavior before other than perhaps once or twice someone befuddled about the self checkout situation which usually aren't very well indicated and was embarrassed about their mistake when corrected. Where were you shopping...?

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:12 pm

I made the same move 6 years ago, then moved back to CA 2 years ago.

The offer they gave you is probably their best offer. The cap for base salary was $160k when I was there, the rest will always be in RSU’s. If you get there and do well, though, you will be handsomely rewarded.

Keep in mind that if you last four years, you will be in the 80th percentile for longevity. Which means that a *lot* of people don’t last long enough for their RSUs to vest. There are other companies in the city, though.

Pick a place to live where you don’t have to cross any bridges to get to work. The traffic chokepoints are the bridges. You will be able to do that on your salary if you don’t insist on a big house. You won’t really save money by living in the burbs. Houses in the suburbs are not much cheaper, because that’s where Microsoft is.

Expect to stand in line for 45 minutes to pay $15 for lunch from a truck that will be cold by the time you get it back to the office.

If your fiancé is not in tech, she may not be able to make as much money as she is now. Tech salaries in Seattle are high. Everyone else is just getting by. My wife (registered nurse) would have had to take a massive pay cut if she had decided to work.

Seattle and the surrounding areas are beautiful, and there are loads of things to do, both indoors and outdoors. Seattle weather is amazing in the summer, and miserable the other 10 months of the year. Between mid-November and late January, there’s also only about 8 hours of daylight per day, and between the clouds and the sun being low in the sky, what there is is dim.

The politics in WA state are a toxic mess. We spent the whole time we were there asking “why do they do it that way?” We are pretty middle of the road politically. Seattle is very liberal. Much of the rest of the state is very conservative. The problems there are a microcosm of what’s happening nationally, only with less corruption. If you are planning on having kids, the schools are underfunded and generally pretty bad. We had friends who moved back to California because their kids weren’t getting what they needed from a school that greatschools rated as 9.

Just because we weren’t happy there doesn’t mean that you won’t be, however. There are plenty of people that think that the company and the city are both great. We just didn’t happen to be those people. We did come out of it very much ahead financially, though.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:19 pm

ssquared87 wrote:

I agree with you on the traffic issues and the terrible timid drivers merging at 45, sitting in blind spots etc.

I've also overheard conversations between some "deep thinkers" trying to one up each other on being woke but its pretty easy to avoid those people.

I wouldn't really call it a culture shock coming here from the Midwest though. For the most part people are pretty chill even if they are facebook slacktivists. I've never seen line cutting or other rude behavior and its definitely not regular.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Expensive, Yes. WA has no income tax, this is a plus. Don't like Seattle liberalism, Bellevue welcome you. $15 truck lunch too expensive, Costco welcomes you. Tired of slow moving vehicle on the passing lane, horn on them. Generally, Seattle is a very welcome city to live.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:33 pm

OP,

Why would you accept this job offer? Amazon HQ2 is coming to DC area. If you are qualified, why would you take a job at the West coast and get paid effectively less money?

KlangFool

printer86

Post by printer86 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Take the job. Find a place with a reasonable commute. I would bike to work if I lived in Seattle.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:48 pm

jpsfranks wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:50 pm
ssquared87 wrote:
I am a longtime Seattle resident and have literally never encountered this behavior before other than perhaps once or twice someone befuddled about the self checkout situation which usually aren't very well indicated and was embarrassed about their mistake when corrected. Where were you shopping...?
The line thing happened to me 3-4 times at the QFC on pike and broadway in Cap Hill.

Have also had it happen in line at Cherry St coffee and the QFC in Redmond

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:14 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm
ssquared87 wrote:

This is typical Seattle culture. Get use to it and you will be fine.
As a person living in Seattle area (Kirkland) can confirm all negative mentioned here and in reality it much worse. People driving 40mph on freeway speaking on the phone and ignorant of their surroundings. 200 feet from exist they begin to cut all lines trying to get on exit. Saw many times car in left lane show left turn a makes right turn. People parking cars on 2 spots. Area was famous for green belts. All destroyed. Houses built everywhere. Roads stays the same. Traffic unbelievable. At any time and day. Trip to work what 10 years ago took me 20 min now takes 45. $15 lunch practically normal. Cannot wait retirement and get the hell out of here..

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:40 pm

There are some weird comments here. Seattle is by no means perfect for everyone but it is not homogeneous, yes the city proper is very politically liberal and it would be odd to voice conservative beliefs in the workplace or in social settings, but there are tons of conservatives all over and you can certainly join their organizations/hang out with them. The homeless problem and urban cleanliness is not as bad as people mention, a lot of sincere people are working on solutions. I think it is better than a few years ago.

Living close in to work and using transit or biking is ideal. There are tons of great schools, public and private. Sadly some of the best are in the most expensive areas, but there are excellent teachers and administrators in the struggling schools too.

I never run into line cutters and rude people. I guess I am just lucky. :D

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:14 pm

Live close to work place or close to public transport. I see so many people working in Seattle but choose to live in the woods. Of course traffic would be worse. Traffic jam is always one-way. So if you live in the city and work in the woods, you commute time is short.

I would bring lunch to work. You can make a sandwich using Costco material for less than $5. Seattle Costco and Baltimore Costco price the same.

For people driving slow on left lane, Seattle police are starting ticketing those drivers. And most accidents are caused by these reckless driver. I salute to them. As a safe driver, I stay keep good distance from them.

I always park my car far from entrance and crowds to let me walk a couple of more minutes.

Topic Author
Broadway2018

Post by Broadway2018 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Wow, thank you all so much for the comments/input! I am very excited, however, in talking to my partner this evening, she wants to stay in Baltimore for another 8-12 months because she is about to get a title promotion in June and thinks it would look better on her resume for job hunting in Seattle. She wants to move to Seattle but after she gets the promotion on her resume.

I am not sure how to make this work. I could move out there and then she would come later. But we have a mortgage and it just seems awfully expensive to keep 2 households for a year. Not to mention a strain relationship wise. Has anyone ever done this?

Topic Author
Broadway2018

Post by Broadway2018 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:05 pm

upperleftcoast wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:53 pm
Seattle is great. Two main obstacles: COL and traffic. Both can be minimized.
Pick a good neighborhood with a reasonable commute. Public transit. Your company will pay.
Mild climate, easy living. The rain is overrated.
I make far less than you (single, no kids) and have a fantastic life in Seattle. Came from the East Coast too. You should be fine.
Loads of activities outside of work. And when you need a break the airport is right down the road.
What neighborhoods would you target to look in?

Topic Author
Broadway2018

Post by Broadway2018 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:07 pm

rv26 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:18 pm
As someone who made the same move 6 years ago, I will tell you the cost of living from Baltimore to Seattle is going to be dramatic. The housing situation in the Seattle and even in the east side communities is bad. The homeless situation in Seattle is much worse than in Baltimore.

I will say that if you're an outdoor person, Seattle is a great. Skiing is about an 1 and half hours away, hiking is about an hour away and the area is very biker and jogger friendly.

I actually moved from the Seattle area (I lived in Bellevue and worked at Amazon) to Chicago 2 years ago. I do miss the weather but the culture in Seattle is a little different than I was used to living on the East Coast.
When you say dramatic what exactly. Houses in a good school district in/near Baltimore are $500k+. My current mortgage is $2400. I realize it will be more but not by much.

Topic Author
Broadway2018

Post by Broadway2018 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:08 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:33 pm
OP,

Why would you accept this job offer? Amazon HQ2 is coming to DC area. If you are qualified, why would you take a job at the West coast and get paid effectively less money?

KlangFool
I would never live in DC. High taxes and honestly not much going for it. I much rather live on the West Coast. Also, how is the pay less? DC housing is just as expensive as Seattle depending where you live.

Also, I don't have a job offer for DC...it is incredibly hard to get one at Amazon, let alone be picky.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:08 pm
KlangFool wrote:
OP,

KlangFool
I would never live in DC. High taxes and honestly not much going for it. I much rather live on the West Coast. Also, how is the pay less? DC housing is just as expensive as Seattle depending where you live.
Broadway2018,

<< Also, how is the pay less? >>

A) You are being paid 135K with zero commutes. And, you owned a house here. Aka, close to zero rent.

B) You will be paid 150K + possible 60K with 1 to 2 hours commute plus expensive rent.

Between (A) and (B), you are being paid less per hour in Seattle.

KlangFool

Topic Author
Broadway2018

Post by Broadway2018 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:18 pm
Broadway2018 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
OP,

KlangFool
Broadway2018,

A) You are being paid 135K with zero commutes. And, you owned a house here. Aka, close to zero rent.

B) You will be paid 150K + possible 60K with 1 to 2 hours commute plus expensive rent.

KlangFool
I don't plan on commuting more than 30 minutes max. Hoping for something more like 20 minutes. Also, I don't own my house outright. My mortgage is $2400 and I owe $330,000.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:07 pm
rv26 wrote:

When you say dramatic what exactly. Houses in a good school district in/near Baltimore are $500k+. My current mortgage is $2400. I realize it will be more but not by much.
Broadway2018,

Please mentioned the size of your house to get an equivalent comparison. And, for the maximum shock value.

KlangFool

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:23 pm

Just rent a little microtel in Seattle and fly home every other weekend. Why would you even consider buying, much less til after your wife joined you?

MP123

Post by MP123 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:26 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
rv26 wrote:

$500k doesn't get much in Seattle these days.

The median sale price in King County (which includes Seattle) is around $700k. And even more in Seattle proper. Not as bad as SF but getting that way.

Of course if you're open to an hour commute each way you can probably find something.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:18 pm
Broadway2018 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
OP,

KlangFool
Broadway2018,

KlangFool
I don't plan on commuting more than 30 minutes max. Hoping for something more like 20 minutes. Also, I don't own my house outright. My mortgage is $2400 and I owe $330,000.
Broadway2018,

<<I don't plan on commuting more than 30 minutes max>>

Can you afford to? I will let those West Coast folks enlighten you for the housing cost.

<<My mortgage is $2400 and I owe $330,000.>>

You will be surprised at how great a life that you are having now. Aka, pay versus housing cost.

KlangFool

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:37 pm

You have no children, why the talk of school districts? Who knows what your situation will be by the time you have school age children.

I would rent an apartment in the city for a year and get the lay of the land, then you can decide where you'd really like to live longer term.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:43 pm

ronno2018 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:40 pm
The homeless problem and urban cleanliness is not as bad as people mention, a lot of sincere people are working on solutions. I think it is better than a few years ago.
Seattle, Portland and San Francisco look like something out of a post apocalyptic film most nights. There are feces, vomit and needles everywhere. Tents and passed out people litter the streets. A shameful deterioration of once beautiful cities.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
OP,

KlangFool

Also, I don't have a job offer for DC...it is incredibly hard to get one at Amazon, let alone be picky.
Once you have been working in Seattle for a year or so, if you want to move to a different location, if that location is hiring, you can usually make it work.

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:53 pm

MindBogler wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:43 pm
ronno2018 wrote:
The homeless problem and urban cleanliness is not as bad as people mention, a lot of sincere people are working on solutions. I think it is better than a few years ago.
Seattle, Portland and San Francisco look like something out of a post apocalyptic film most nights. There are feces, vomit and needles everywhere. Tents and passed out people litter the streets. A shameful deterioration of once beautiful cities.
There is a homelessness problem to be sure, but this description is so over the top. It's amazing that a city as you miserable as you describe it has continued to be one of the fastest growing cities in the country for most of the last decade. Why do people keep moving to such a wretched place?

Mr. Digweed

Post by Mr. Digweed » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Interesting. I moved (2013) from south New Jersey to the Olympic Peninsula. No regrets. You'll enjoy that which is the Pacific Northwest. I enjoy sailing and hiking the Olympic Mts. Take care.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:00 pm

MindBogler wrote:
ronno2018 wrote:
I guess "homeless problem and urban cleanliness is not as bad as people mention" can be subjective, but objectively the homeless and cleanliness issue is worse in SF and Seattle than any densely populated metro area in the country. If that doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother you. It probably wouldn't be a huge deal for me personally because I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time hanging out in the middle of the city, but there are other reasons I wouldn't even consider moving to either place.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:05 pm

jpsfranks wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:53 pm
MindBogler wrote:
ronno2018 wrote:
There is a homelessness problem to be sure, but this description is so over the top. It's amazing that a city as you miserable as you describe it has continued to be one of the fastest growing cities in the country for most of the last decade. Why do people keep moving to such a wretched place?
Probably because housing is cheap compared to San Francisco, there’s no state income taxes, and people want Amazon/Microsoft on their resume then they bail. It certainly isn’t for quality of life or cultural offerings.

I happen to agree with MindBogler. I never saw such an insidious and frightening homeless issue. When I lived in NYC i never felt uncomfortable walking around at night pretty much anywhere in Manhattan. There were a lot less homeless there, and the homeless in New York don’t bother you. The homeless in Seattle are aggressive and will pester everyone passing by for money. Like a typical New Yorker I would walk past them without acknowledging their existence they would still follow me and try to get me to give them something. This rarely if ever happened to me in NYC

When I lived in Seattle I was terrified. Property crime was astonishingly common and many of the homeless have mental issues. One of my biggest fears was that some schizophrenic would attack me for no apparent reason, or I’d get robbed by a drug addict looking for some cash. I never felt safe on the streets of Seattle day or night.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:18 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Can you afford to? I will let those West Coast folks enlighten you for the housing cost.
Yes, he can easily afford to live in/near South Lake Union on $200k+ income. A lot of people live there on $100k or even $80k if you're willing to rent a smaller place. Once the wife moves over with their combined $300k income, they can easily afford a nice ~$1.2M house in Queen Anne, well under a 30 minute commute.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:21 pm

DonIce wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:18 pm
KlangFool wrote:

Yes, he can easily afford to live in/near South Lake Union on $200k+ income. A lot of people live there on $100k or even $80k if you're willing to rent a smaller place. Once the wife moves over with their combined $300k income, they can easily afford a nice ~$1.2M house in Queen Anne, well under a 30 minute commute.
DonIce,

1) Just to complete the story, please tell OP about the size of the place and the rent.

2) Please enlighten us what do you get for the 1.2M house too.

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
If you work in SLU and want a single family home, the closest areas would be in Queen Anne and Capitol Hill. Lower end of the range for houses in both areas is around $1.2M though you can find an occasional tear-down around $800k. If you're ok with townhomes you can get nice ones around $800k or 2 bed condos around $500k.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:25 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:21 pm
You get 3-4 beds and about 2000 sq ft.

Or as I mentioned you can get 2-3 bed townhouses around 1200-1500 sq ft for $800k or so.

https://www.redfin.com/city/16163/WA/Se ... no-outline

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:28 pm

Broadway2018 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:04 pm
Wow, thank you all so much for the comments/input! I am very excited, however, in talking to my partner this evening, she wants to stay in Baltimore for another 8-12 months because she is about to get a title promotion in June and thinks it would look better on her resume for job hunting in Seattle. She wants to move to Seattle but after she gets the promotion on her resume.

I am not sure how to make this work. I could move out there and then she would come later. But we have a mortgage and it just seems awfully expensive to keep 2 households for a year. Not to mention a strain relationship wise. Has anyone ever done this?
The mortgage/housing situation is not a huge deal in my opinion relative to potentially significant career progress (though it won't be cheap in the short term + the cost of flying back and forth to see each other) but obviously you have to make your own assessment regarding the impacts of any potential strain in your relationship.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:42 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:05 pm
Probably because housing is cheap compared to San Francisco, there’s no state income taxes, and people want Amazon/Microsoft on their resume then they bail. It certainly isn’t for quality of life or cultural offerings.

I happen to agree with MindBogler. I never saw such an insidious and frightening homeless issue. When I lived in NYC i never felt uncomfortable walking around at night pretty much anywhere in Manhattan.
Depends what you value. Contrary to popular myths, Seattle has a very nice climate, never too hot or too cold. If you are into the outdoors, world class hiking, skiing, rock climbing, kayaking, camping, rafting, mountain biking, etc, can all be found within 1-2 hour drives of the city. Similarly, while rain is somewhat frequent in the city, you can almost always find good weather on the weekends within a 1-3 hour drive. During the rainiest and gloomiest time of the year in the city, when its raining in town means its snowing in the mountains, which is great for skiers/snowboarders, etc.

As for the homelessness thing... yeah it's pretty bad. It really exploded over the last several years. There are definitely areas I wouldn't walk around in by myself even during the day. Property crime is also very high, and the city authorities are unwilling/unable to do anything about it. I spend minimal time in the city besides work and sleep, most of the rest is spent 1-2 hours away enjoying the outdoors.

smudge

Post by smudge » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Congratulations Hon, no more state income tax!

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:23 pm

MindBogler wrote:
ronno2018 wrote:
Couldn't agree more. But the political will is changing against the extreme liberal attitude that allowed it (can one say conservative Democrat, that is what it is shifting towards ) people care but want basic laws enforced

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:32 pm

KlangFool wrote:
DonIce wrote:
KlangFool wrote:

DonIce,

1) Just to complete the story, please tell OP about the size of the place and the rent.

KlangFool
1.2 mil looks like it gets you a 3 or 4 bed ~2000 sq ft house in good shape in queen ann.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:32 pm
KlangFool wrote:
DonIce wrote:
KlangFool wrote:

DonIce,

KlangFool
1.2 mil looks like it gets you a 3 or 4 bed ~2000 sq ft house in good shape in queen ann.
Versus in my Northern Virginia neighborhood:

1) 400K to 450K for a 2,000 sq feet townhouse

2) 500K to 600K for 3,000 sq feet single family home.

In summary, double or triple in housing cost.

The pay difference is about 150K in NoVA versus 200K in Seattle, WA

KlangFool