Bogleheads, why won't anyone hire me?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
jb1

Bogleheads, why won't anyone hire me?

Post by jb1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 pm

Hey BH, at the ripe age of 28, I think I have reached my tipping point. I have been working 12 hour days for the last 2 years, and it is certainly starting to take its toll on me.

From 8-5 I work for a soccer goal company moving soccer goal components (easily 3k pounds a day, working with typical factory workers), and from 515-815 i am coaching soccer (which I somewhat enjoy).

I went to school in NJ got a degree in business, got a grad degree in healthcare admin, graduated in 2015, and after 4 years of applying to over 200 jobs along the east coast, I am part of a statistic that is working a job that didnt require a degree.

Part of it hurts me, I am a very hardworker compared to anyone I know my age, however they all have actual careers, while I just have a job. I come home, my body aches, I have 0 time to myself, even on weekends I am driving 2 hours to coach a soccer game. On top of that I am only making 50k a year.

I do not know what to do anymore. Due to my hustle, I have 100k in a vanguard account, own a house in which roommates pay the mortgage, 15k in my bank account, however it would be nice to actually get a career now and enjoy my life.

My resume was redone numerous times by "HR" professionals, other people high uo in companies etc. I have all the buzzwords needed.

Is it a matter of luck?

I always will have a chip on my shoulder bc I do believe it is who you know, not what you know. My next venture is to get a real estate license, I have given up on working for others.

sawhorse

Re: Bogleheads, why wont anyone hire me?

Post by sawhorse » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Wow, that's really tough. What type of jobs are you applying for?

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:31 pm

What kind of feedback are you getting after you are rejected? That might give you an idea on what you need to improve. What are your fellow healthcare admin graduate friends doing now? Have you reached out to them for help getting interviews with their organizations? What type of jobs are you applying to?

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:35 pm

At what stage are you getting rejected? Have you tried politely asking your rejectors what you could do to improve your odds of success in the future?

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:35 pm

Can you take a vacation/staycation soon from at least your primary job? It sounds like you could use one.

Does your graduate school have a career services office? Their service should be part of what you paid for with the degree.

Since typical entry routes aren't working, consider an internship or volunteer work.

If your grad degree is really the field you want to be in, take an unpaid internship this summer if nothing else comes up by then. Contact the companies you would want to intern for even if you don't see an advertised position. It sounds like you might be able to live off just your coaching income for a few months and you obviously have the savings to support this if needed.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:36 pm

jb1 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 pm
I always will have a chip on my shoulder bc I do believe it is who you know, not what you know.
Is this coming through in your cover letters or job interviews? That is one possible problem.

What about references? Do you have some from your professors? Are they good references? I have seen people sabotaged, including me at one point, by a bad reference they had no idea was bad.

In a way you are right about who you know. If you approach a company on the recommendation of an employee already there, or a professor who has contacts there, you have a distinct advantage over someone coming in cold. That's because more is known about you, and why people are always recommending that one builds a network of contacts.
Last edited by fru-gal on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lightfighter214

Post by lightfighter214 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:37 pm

I know I don't post here often. But I learned this same lesson last year.

Filling out random internet applications is a giant waste of time. Even if you keyword match.

It matters who you know, nothing else. There is a reason the corporate world is full of the Lumburgs.

Network, network, network.

If you are going to apply to random jobs in the internet, and it has a point of contact, you have to touch base with that person. Even if it doesn't, find the hiring manager and then contact them.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:38 pm

No guarantees but network with the people you know. That's a good thing not a bad thing. The soccer players (or their parents) know of job opportunities. Classmates. Family friends. The one thing you may need to let them know is that although you love soccer you want it to be your hobby not your life and are ready for something else. The ones who don't know you well may think you want to only work in a soccer related job. Worth a try since dropping resumes isn't working.

Topic Author
jb1

Post by jb1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:40 pm

leeks wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:35 pm
Can you take a vacation/staycation soon from at least your primary job? It sounds like you could use one.

Does your graduate school have a career services office? Their service should be part of what you paid for with the degree.

Since typical entry routes aren't working, consider an internship or volunteer work.

If your grad degree is really the field you want to be in, take an unpaid internship this summer if nothing else comes up by then. Contact the companies you would want to intern for even if you don't see an advertised position. It sounds like you might be able to live off just your coaching income for a few months and you obviously have the savings to support this if needed.
My family has a medical background, moms a nurse. I used to do activities at a nursing home and when I moved to NC I applied to where my mom worked doing activities, somehow didnt get it. This was in 2016 and my first taste of how tough this would be.

Id love to go back to school for an MBA, but honestly that would be extremely silly.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:40 pm

Have you tried working with a recruiter or two?

LinkedIn?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:42 pm

jb1 wrote:
Hey BH, at the ripe age of 28, I think I have reached my tipping point. I have been working 12 hour days for the last 2 years, and it is certainly starting to take its toll on me.

From 8-5 I work for a soccer goal company moving soccer goal components (easily 3k pounds a day, working with typical factory workers), and from 515-815 i am coaching soccer (which I somewhat enjoy).

I went to school in NJ got a degree in business, got a grad degree in healthcare admin, graduated in 2015, and after 4 years of applying to over 200 jobs along the east coast, I am part of a statistic that is working a job that didnt require a degree.

Part of it hurts me, I am a very hardworker compared to anyone I know my age, however they all have actual careers, while I just have a job. I come home, my body aches, I have 0 time to myself, even on weekends I am driving 2 hours to coach a soccer game. On top of that I am only making 50k a year.

I do not know what to do anymore. Due to my hustle, I have 100k in a vanguard account, own a house in which roommates pay the mortgage, 15k in my bank account, however it would be nice to actually get a career now and enjoy my life.

My resume was redone numerous times by "HR" professionals, other people high uo in companies etc. I have all the buzzwords needed.

Is it a matter of luck?

I always will have a chip on my shoulder bc I do believe it is who you know, not what you know. My next venture is to get a real estate license, I have given up on working for others.
I'm responding as if this isn't trolling, which I suspect it may well be...

No, its not a matter of luck.

The chip on your shoulder is a huge problem. Plenty of people get a good job based on their training, skills and experience. You already at a young age have some false beliefs, meaning ideas not based in reality. Knowing people (networking) is important, but it only works if you have something employers want and need. Plenty of people get good jobs without "knowing people".

Healthcare is a vast wide open field for motivated people with training and the right right attitude (which you may not have). It's almost impossible not to land a job in health care, if you are willing to work, have a great attitude and maybe start in a position you consider "beneath you". If you applied to 200 jobs in health care without getting a job offer, then something is wrong with your approach (and I have to say it, possibly, your attitude). As a hiring exec in health care for several decades, we always snapped up talented people with positive attitudes. Do you have anyone close who can give you honest feedback? And, what's up with the soccer stuff?
There are stars in the Southern sky | And if ever you decide you should go | There is a taste of time sweetened honey | Down the Seven Bridges Road

Topic Author
jb1

Post by jb1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:42 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:40 pm
Have you tried working with a recruiter or two?

LinkedIn?
Yes, and to be honest its all factory jobs where I am at.

Perhaps real estate agent is my turning point.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:43 pm

I find it hard to believe many of your coworkers have college degrees as well.

Talk to the boss. Tell him you want to work in management. See where it goes from there.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:43 pm

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:42 pm
jb1 wrote:

Is it a matter of luck?

The chip on your shoulder is a huge problem. Plenty of people get a good job in health care based on their training, skills and experience. You already at a young age have some false beliefs, meaning ideas not based in reality. Knowing people (networking) is important, but it only works if you have something employers want and need. Plenty of people get good jobs without "knowing people".

Healthcare is a vast wide open field for motivated people with training and the right right attitude (which you may not have). It's almost impossible not to land a job in health care, if you are willing to work, have a great attitude and maybe start in a position you consider "beneath you". If you applied to 200 jobs in health care without getting a job offer, then something is wrong with your approach (and I have to say it, possibly, your attitude). As a hiring exec in health care for several decades, we always snapped up talented people with positive attitudes. Do you have anyone close who can give you honest feedback? And, what's up with the soccer stuff?
Sorry, duplicate.
Last edited by SevenBridgesRoad on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are stars in the Southern sky | And if ever you decide you should go | There is a taste of time sweetened honey | Down the Seven Bridges Road

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:43 pm

jb1 wrote:
Id love to go back to school for an MBA, but honestly that would be extremely silly.
Why would it be silly? If you can get into a good program it is a great way to jump start a career. You can develop relationships with high caliber people and recruit with top firms.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:45 pm

yangtui wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:43 pm
jb1 wrote:
Why would it be silly? If you can get into a good program it is a great way to jump start a career. You can develop relationships with high caliber people and recruit with top firms.
A person who’s only done factory labor is not getting into a good MBA program. No offense to the OP.

Topic Author
jb1

Post by jb1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:45 pm

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
jb1 wrote:

Is it a matter of luck?

The chip on your shoulder is a huge problem. Plenty of people get a good job based on their training, skills and experience. You already at a young age have some false beliefs, meaning ideas not based in reality. Knowing people (networking) is important, but it only works if you have something employers want and need. Plenty of people get good jobs without "knowing people".

Hard to believe right? If trolling I wouldnt have written such a long post ..

Should I have a more positive attitude when hitting "send" on the computer screen? Facial recognition you think? I am not getting interviews, at all. I will gladly send you my resume if you pm me an email address.

brennok

Post by brennok » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:46 pm

In my experience with healthcare, experience is initially better. The degree helps keep the upward mobility. Look at part time or full time clinic work in larger clinics especially those owned by larger corporations or even insurance companies.

Most admins I know started in the front or back office and went to school while working. If you really want to work in healthcare, you need to look for experience first.

Topic Author
jb1

Post by jb1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:45 pm
yangtui wrote:
jb1 wrote:
A person who’s only done factory labor is not getting into a good MBA program. No offense to the OP.
I would, but honestly the cost isnt worth it, I have a grad degree already (which helps) and have had office type jobs in the past back in NJ, plus at my soccer factory job, my position is technically "sales and marketing manager" however due to working with factory workers who like to take their time, I have been forced upon other duties.
Last edited by jb1 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:48 pm

It sounds like you are working hard which is a good start.

Are you networking? Connecting with people is where most jobs come from in my line of work.

Do you have social skills? Do a practice interview and video it.

I interviewed a guy recently who was about 60 years old, been working a professional job for 30 years, dressed right, looked right, BUT he couldn't look me in the eye. He was looking all over the room but not at me. My place of employment requires people to work with the public but if you can't make eye contact you can't work with the public. No lookie at me = no job for him.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:52 pm

jb1 wrote:
after 4 years of applying to over 200 jobs along the east coast, I am part of a statistic that is working a job that didnt require a degree.
Keep fighting.

There is a whole lot of the US that isn't on the east coast.

PS: There are a select few that think they have careers; the rest of us just had a succession of jobs. And, BTW, there is no shame in working at a job that you don't have a degree for. Come to think of it, I had at least three or four jobs that I didn't have a degree for. Although, a decade or so after I had them, at least two of them suddeningly had college degrees for that line of work/
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:52 pm

You are 28, have $100k in VG, $15k in savings, and own a home? I'm impressed.

Questions:

Just by reading your post, I'd say your writing skills need work. What does your cover letter look like? Have you had your interview skills assessed?

Why are you only applying to jobs in the East?

Could it be that soccer and working with kids is your passion?

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:53 pm

jb1 wrote:
<snip> ... and after 4 years of applying to over 200 jobs along the east coast, I am part of a statistic that is working a job that didnt require a degree.

<snip>
A lot of good advice already by others.

How did you apply for the over 200 jobs? Are these online job applications or through people you know personally (or something in between)? If the former, I would think your (or anyone's) success rate will be pretty low -- just for a job interview, forget about actually landing the job.

In my experience (and from what I've read), it's best to "network" and apply at places where you have a contact. I can't remember the statistic, but it's mostly word of mouth opportunities, then much further down the list maybe working with recruiters and online job postings.

Job search is tough, no question about it. Hang in there.

GCD

Post by GCD » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:55 pm

A couple thoughts...

Maybe get a quick and dirty medical cert that would let you get hired in a hospital doing patient care. Like an EMT. Then with the help of your mom get hired in the ER or wherever. Then make friends with the admin people and when a job comes open you might have a better shot. Working on the ground floor of medicine might be beneficial in applying to other hospitals, etc. You could use the pitch that you want to go into administration and you have experience in the field that will be relevant in doing admin jobs.

Do you know enough from your degree to start a business doing admin for small doctors offices? I know plenty of doctors and they seem besieged by paperwork. Maybe smaller offices or sole practitioners would like to contract some or all of that out. I loved being self-employed.

Caveat: I got certified as an EMT, but never worked in the medical field so I could very well have my head you know where.

Good luck.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Are you searching nationwide?

Are you getting interviews?

Are you getting second interviews?

Are there temp jobs or volunteer work that would get you face to face wih people who do the hiring in your chosen field?

One of the things I know about job searches is if you’re working hard for twelve hours a day, you’re probably not able to put enough effort into the job search to be effective. It’s kind of a catch-22. 200 job applications in four years is only one application per week. Job searching is partly a numbers game, and one application per week isn’t going to cut it. The times I was out of work, I was applying to at least 10x that many jobs. Your job is to identify opportunities, get your resume read, and ace the interview. If you’re exhausted from working 12 hours a day, that’s going to be hard.

Topic Author
jb1

Post by jb1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 pm

Tdubs wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:52 pm

Questions:

Just by reading your post, I'd say your writing skills need work. What does your cover letter look like? Have you had your interview skills assessed?

My English has always sucked which is why I had others do my resume for me.

I’ll be honest I’m tempted to do a test resume where I say I am from NC to see if there’s any difference in luck. From what I hear, southerners aren’t too fond of the northerners coming down

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:14 pm

jb1 wrote:
If there's any field where this chip on your shoulder would be a huge disadvantage, it would be real estate. How do you think real estate agents get customers? They don't do it by being really good at mortgage math or assessing houses. They get customers by networking, in other words "who you know".

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:17 pm

1 When your spine goes bad, your back goes bad, then you will not be able to do many many things. Consider jobs that use your education over physicality. Stop lifting things.

2. Consider expanding your job search and be willing to relocate, move to more fruitful pastures, make a change. Get out of the East Coast?

3. Consider areas where your education and skillsets are growing careers in growing communities.

4. Much of being hired is when companies look at what you are doing now, and hire on the basis of what you're doing now. So you need to get out of that rut.

5. Grad degree in "healthcare admin". What is that for in practical terms? Office work in a hospital, care home, etc?

6. Is there some kind of training or certification you can get that will better get you in the door to what you "really" want to do?

7. What do you "really" want to do? What do you have a passion for?

8. Business Admin. Healthcare Admin. Real Estate. . . . Have you applied to get your foot into the door for any Fed, State, City, employment? EMS? Fire? Have you considered a military option to expand your skillset and other things? Coast Guard? National Guard? Reserves?
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:19 pm

jb1 wrote:

You don't want to work for others so you will get into real estate..... :shock: I have some bad news for you.

Topic Author
jb1

Post by jb1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:20 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:17 pm
1 When your spine goes bad, your back goes bad, then you will not be able to do many many things. Consider jobs that use your education over physicality. Stop lifting things.

2. Consider expanding your job search and be willing to relocate, move to more fruitful pastures, make a change. Get out of the East Coast?

3. Consider areas where your education and skillsets are growing careers in growing communities.

4. Much of being hired is when companies look at what you are doing now, and hire on the basis of what you're doing now. So you need to get out of that rut.

5. Grad degree in "healthcare admin". What is that for in practical terms? Office work in a hospital, care home, etc?

6. Is there some kind of training or certification you can get that will better get you in the door to what you "really" want to do?

On mobile now, but I love working for myself, and real estate.

Topic Author
jb1

Post by jb1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:21 pm

SmallCityDave wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:19 pm
jb1 wrote:

You don't want to work for others so you will get into real estate..... :shock: I have some bad news for you.
I enjoy real estate, and the idea of working for myself, meaning what I put in is what I get out. I have no problem with that.

Topic Author
jb1

Post by jb1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:23 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:14 pm
jb1 wrote:
If there's any field where this chip on your shoulder would be a huge disadvantage, it would be real estate. How do you think real estate agents get customers? They don't do it by being really good at mortgage math or assessing houses. They get customers by networking, in other words "who you know".
Well northerners are relocating to NC like crazy, if I was an agent, can make google ads (know how to do) displaying to anyone in NJ looking to move down :). Just an idea

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:23 pm

jb1 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:20 pm
Sandtrap wrote:

Why do you like real estate?
What is it about real estate that you like?
Have you been involved in real estate in the past? How so?
What experience or education or training in R/E and in what aspect of R/E do you have?
Do you want to sell R/E (commission)?
Therefore Realtor's license then signing on to a R/E brokerage, split proceeds with the house. Etc.
Do you want to get involved with the other aspects of R/E? (development, property management, etc, etc).

For fun:
Let's "just say" that I have a R/E sales and property development company across several states. We handle sales, build high rises and low rise apartments, condominium developments, and shopping malls, including in-house property management and project management. We also have a General Contracting company that does everything from new to remolds to flips to commercial. There are a lot of similar companies nationwide, some huge, some enormous.
1. Why should I hire you?
2. What can you do for me?
3. What are your skillsets?

Topic Author
jb1

Post by jb1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:31 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:23 pm
jb1 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:20 pm
Sandtrap wrote:

Why do you like real estate?
What is it about real estate that you like?
Have you been involved in real estate in the past? How so?
What experience or education or training in R/E and in what aspect of R/E do you have?
Do you want to sell R/E (commission)?
Therefore Realtor's license then signing on to a R/E brokerage, split proceeds with the house. Etc.
Do you want to get involved with the other aspects of R/E? (development, property management, etc, etc).
I’ve always been entrepreneurial, started online stores, etc.

My current house now will be/is a rental. I live in one room and rent out the other 2. I would love to get another place in 2 years. RE investing what what id like to do long term, something as simple as owning 3-5 properties.

I would enjoy the life of an agent for the freedom, what I put in is what I get out. I would like to take classes this summer while still working and saving. And if all else fails, I still have coaching soccer to back myself on. My training is hours of YouTube university and podcasts regarding real estate

I am ambitious plus I know you from bogleheads
I will increase your revenue and have returning customers.
I am knowledgeable with google ads
Last edited by jb1 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoonerD

Post by SoonerD » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:38 pm

jb1 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 pm
OP, an MBA is a terrible idea. You claim to be underemployed with your 2 degrees and think a third degree is the ticket. Wrong. Only top tier MBAs are worth the money and only for certain career interests. Your background won't get you into one and even if it did you don't need more degrees; you need to learn how to break into the field/company of your desire.

This comment "Should I have a more positive attitude when hitting "send" on the computer screen? " tells me you're attitude is not a strength. One of the great determinants of success is one's ability to critically evaluate his strenghts and areas needing improvement. Most people think their good at this and almost all of them are not.

I've hired lawyers for non-law positions (in financial services / asset management company) for $60,000 - $160,000. They were all overqualified. It would have been a huge waste for them to go get an MBA or some such financial related degree to break into my area. Focus on what you can improve without spending years and thousands hoping it will make the difference.

Consider the following:
1) find a trusted mentor to provide critical, gut wrenchingly difficult feedback on your strengths/weaknesses

2) (Offensive language removed by Moderator Jbranx. This is a family-friendly site. Using ellipses to try to disguise an offensive word or words does not remove the meaning.) Start meeting with friends, friends fathers, pastor, college graduates from your school/program, etc. Don't ask them for a job. Do tell them your interests and challenges. Ask them for advice on how to go about turning the corner. Inevitable some will know someone who may need your skillset and provide a warm introduction for you.

3) investigate a temp agency. I've hired several temps into full time career track positions. It's not uncomon for companies to use temps as a low risk way to see if the person will be a good fit before making a job offer.

4) drop the soccer coaching unless there is a path whereby one of the mothers will hire you or introduce you to a hiring manager. save the energy for advancing your career. go back to coaching after you've established your career path (if it's a passion for you)

5) be willing to take an entry level position (way beneath your perceived self worth) if it gets you into the company you want to work for. I know a formerly fired V.P. level executive who, after 3-years of no offers, swallowed his pride and joined my firm in the call center. working alongside twenty year-olds with a bachelors and no other meaningful professional experience he quickly was identified as an outperformer. he advanced into management. he'll never get back to prior level or comp but nice 6-figure salary is better than unemployed.

Topic Author
jb1

Post by jb1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:46 pm

SoonerD wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:38 pm
jb1 wrote:
OP, an MBA is a terrible idea. You claim to be underemployed with your 2 degrees and think a third degree is the ticket. Wrong. Only top tier MBAs are worth the money and only for certain career interests. Your background won't get you into one and even if it did you don't need more degrees; you need to learn how to break into the field/company of your desire.

This comment "Should I have a more positive attitude when hitting "send" on the computer screen? " tells me you're attitude is not a strength. One of the great determinants of success is one's ability to critically evaluate his strenghts and areas needing improvement. Most people think their good at this and almost all of them are not.

I've hired lawyers for non-law positions (in financial services / asset management company) for $60,000 - $160,000. They were all overqualified. It would have been a huge waste for them to go get an MBA or some such financial related degree to break into my area. Focus on what you can improve without spending years and thousands hoping it will make the difference.

Consider the following:
1) find a trusted mentor to provide critical, gut wrenchingly difficult feedback on your strengths/weaknesses

2) it's been said "it's not who you know it's who you bl#w". start meeting with friends, friends fathers, pastor, college graduates from your school/program, etc. Don't ask them for a job. Do tell them your interests and challenges. Ask them for advice on how to go about turning the corner. Inevitable some will know someone who may need your skillset and provide a warm introduction for you.

3) investigate a temp agency. I've hired several temps into full time career track positions. It's not uncomon for companies to use temps as a low risk way to see if the person will be a good fit before making a job offer.

4) drop the soccer coaching unless there is a path whereby one of the mothers will hire you or introduce you to a hiring manager. save the energy for advancing your career. go back to coaching after you've established your career path (if it's a passion for you)

5) be willing to take an entry level position (way beneath your perceived self worth) if it gets you into the company you want to work for. I know a formerly fired V.P. level executive who, after 3-years of no offers, swallowed his pride and joined my firm in the call center. working alongside twenty year-olds with a bachelors and no other meaningful professional experience he quickly was identified as an outperformer. he advanced into management. he'll never get back to prior level or comp but nice 6-figure salary is better than unemployed.
MBA was just an idea, but the money isn’t worth it.

I will be honest I’m getting different answers here, some sayin it’s what you know others saying it’s who you know. So what is it?

All I want is a job where I can grow 😌. No perceived self worth here since I’m looking for “entry level business” on sites.

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Just applying for jobs is not enough for a generic area like healthcare admin. You’ve got to get your foot in the door somehow, whether that’s by networking or internships or just persistence, but just sending out your resume is not enough. And you need a plan with realistic goal as well. Do you want to get a job in healthcare admin? Maybe start by working as an office assistant in a small medical office, and work your way up to office manager, then jump to a larger office or hospital. Learn useful skills along the way that are beyond your current job requirement. Try to learn how billing and reimbursment work while doing clerical work. Healthcare is very specialized. Become an expert in a particular area and you will get more interest from employers. This is true in healthcare and other fields as well.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Real estate is basically a sales job. If you are having trouble getting hired at a job, I fear you will struggle getting hired as an agent.

Also, you will be constantly hustling to get new clients, so it's like you will be constantly interviewing.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:00 pm

jb1 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 pm
Tdubs wrote:

Questions:

I’ll be honest I’m tempted to do a test resume where I say I am from NC to see if there’s any difference in luck. From what I hear, southerners aren’t too fond of the northerners coming down
Seriously? There is a deeper problem here if you believe being a "northerner" is your problem. What does that even mean? All 200 of your applications were in the South? And you were rejected because you are from New Jersey? You have a maturity problem.

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:08 pm

jb1 wrote:
SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
jb1 wrote:

Is it a matter of luck?

Hard to believe right? If trolling I wouldnt have written such a long post ..

Should I have a more positive attitude when hitting "send" on the computer screen? Facial recognition you think? I am not getting interviews, at all. I will gladly send you my resume if you pm me an email address.
If sincere, shoot me a PM. I manage the recruiting team of mid-size publicly traded tech company on the west coast and I’d be happy to help review and think about what types of opportunities you might be a fit for in tech. Also, might know a few people in the northeast ;)

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:10 pm

jb1 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 pm
Tdubs wrote:

Questions:

Pro tip - take your address off of your resume. It will only ever hurt you, it will never help you... it’ll be used to disqualify you for “not being local” or “too long of a commute” but no one will ever say “he lives the next block over we should hire him tomorrow!”

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 pm

I know very little about the health field, but a really common path to a real job is by temping. I googled “healthcare administration temp jobs,” and got a bunch of temp agencies.

You might try talking to some of the temp agencies, and see if that would be a path to getting you in the door at some places where you can show them your work ethic and problem solving skills. The jobs will be pretty basic, and not require a graduate degree, but you’re much more likely to meet someone who can hire you for a career oriented job in a medical office than you will while humping goal posts.

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:20 pm

It's not clear what your skillset is as both business and healthcare admin are very broad fields. What are the jobs you'd be the best candidate for and apply to those. Tailor your resume for them as well and highlight the relevant classes you've taken or get a recent certificate or class that's relevant to it.

I also agree that temping in the field might be a good path.

Your problem is that your degree is different than your work experience and neither 100% lines up to what a recruiter is looking for when filling a position so you need a way to bridge the gap. That's where the personal relationship/connection comes in and you can build that thru temping, or aligning your skilset to be more specific for a job you are interested in.

You also have the vein of wanting *a* job, not *the* job that you can excel at as you might not recognize what that job is and that's a challenge. This is the disadvantage of broad degrees if you don't get a good job out of college to focus your expertise vs. something like nursing, accounting, teaching, computer science, etc that are more directly focused.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:20 pm

Stop trying so hard. Good things will come to you, start over with a new gig and work it ground floor up. There is plenty of time.

Have patience. Remember that this game is as much how you spend it as how much you earn...

SoonerD

Post by SoonerD » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:01 am

jb1 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:46 pm
SoonerD wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:38 pm
jb1 wrote:

Consider the following:

2) it's been said "it's not who you know it's who you bl#w". start meeting with friends, friends fathers, pastor, college graduates from your school/program, etc. Don't ask them for a job. Do tell them your interests and challenges. Ask them for advice on how to go about turning the corner. Inevitable some will know someone who may need your skillset and provide a warm introduction for you.

MBA was just an idea, but the money isn’t worth it.

I will be honest I’m getting different answers here, some sayin it’s what you know others saying it’s who you know. So what is it?

All I want is a job where I can grow 😌. No perceived self worth here since I’m looking for “entry level business” on sites.
Of course there is no single answer that fits every situation and every time period in every city in every industry...

Who you know can make a huge difference. What you know can make a huge difference. Combing great knowledge and great personal contacts gives you a better chance than having one without the other.

Did you consider my 5 suggestions listed above? Have you done these and if so in what ways can you reconsider how you approached them? It's not easy, you have to work full-time at launching a career. Work your day job and then everything you do outside of those hours should be directed at launching your career. Have a phone call with a friend or contact every day. Have a breakfast or lunch meeting at least every week with a new contact. If I were in your shoes I would devote all my waking hours to advancing my cause. No watching TV, no reading internet forums (once you get a plan in place you should not revisit this site unless you want guidance on which job offer to take), 100% all-in on moving forward toward your career goals.

Anything less than all-in will leave you a step behind the guy who is all-in. You're competing against a global workforce, with essentially open borders (this isn't a political comment so don't anyone bother trying to subvert this post) as talented and cheap competition is coming into the U.S. every day and they are relentless on improving their lot in life and you have a leg up just by being born here - but you have to be all-in to cash in on your advantages.

Look at my list and act on it.

Look at the many great comments you've received. Make your own list and start acting on it on Monday. Between now and Sunday night refine your list, prioritize it and create an action plan. Run it by your most trusted and wise mentor; someone who knows you well and has your best interest at heart but also has to be someone who's been successful and knows what it takes.

Don't delay, no excuses - you're lifetime earning potential is at stake. Get started and don't let anything or anyone get in your way of achieving your goals.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:07 am

Move

In this environment if you don’t have a job, it’s you. Sorry to be harsh, but it is.

And you likely aren’t going to make a lot more than the $50K you are at now. You have not articulated any relevant work experience. You are a fresh-out and your advanced degree actually hurts you at this point.

SoonerD

Post by SoonerD » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:25 am

Someone wrote "Stop trying so hard. Good things will come to you, start over with a new gig and work it ground floor up. There is plenty of time.

Have patience."

I disagree. I think at 28 time is of the essence. Many find their careers ending in their 50s so you have limited time to find the career that is meaningful to you and to earn and build enough wealth to carry you through retirement. If I were in your shoes I would put all my energy, outside of the day job, into working my plan for career advancement. Patience is the enemy of action - I would act while others sleep.
Bacchus01 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:07 am
Move

In this environment if you don’t have a job, it’s you. Sorry to be harsh, but it is.

And you likely aren’t going to make a lot more than the $50K you are at now. You have not articulated any relevant work experience. You are a fresh-out and your advanced degree actually hurts you at this point.
I agree with the challenges of making more than $50,000; which I think is pretty good money for 28 yo working in non-professional role but the ceiling is not much higher until you get a breakthrough opportunity. You'll need to work like nothing else matters to you - be the guy that every manager wants on his team.

The M.A. could be a negative for some hiring managers. Managers are afraid new hires will leave them quickly if they are overqualified. Think about how you might change the degree info based on which job you're applying for. I had 3 - 5 resumes ready at any time with slight differences depending on the key requirements of the jobs I was interested in. Always customize your resume and cover letter for every job. Stop applying to so many - find the right ones through connections.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:28 am

I've gotten tons of interviews just applying on the internet. That was my sole strategy during my last job search. It works because you can easily apply to hundreds of jobs within a few weeks if you needed to. If you are getting interviews but not the job, there's something else at play. That's clearly not a "who you know" problem.

harvestbook

Post by harvestbook » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:08 am

Sandtrap wrote:

I think this is really the most important question. How you live your days is how you live your life. As a newspaper reporter, I did a weekly series on local small businesses. Without exception, they were all started by someone who started out just doing something they loved (sometimes without pay, just out of passion, rarely even with the concept of it becoming a "career") and eventually it became a successful and, in many cases, lucrative career. The other thing is they all seemed very satisfied and happy. Of course that was a self-selecting group so I didn't meet any who failed, but I'd rather bet on myself than a stranger or corporation anyway.

It's a bit unfashionable in a world where many crave the illusion of security and pensions and a complete avoidance of any kind of risk, but if you do what you love, even if it fails, you did what you loved.

It even worked out in my own case.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.

EdNorton

Post by EdNorton » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:18 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
yangtui wrote:
jb1 wrote:
With a great GMAT score, a factory worker can get into a good MBA program. Adds some diversity to the student profile.
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho