Not much work at new megacorp job

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
smitcat

Re: Not much work at new megacorp job

Post by smitcat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:24 am

johnkidding wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:21 am
RollTide31457 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:33 am
Are you in an agile workplace configuration? It’s even easier to be invisible in that type of work environment.
Would you humor me by elaborating?
I remember as long as I "moved a card" once a day or left a comment, and had something to say in the 15 min meeting in the morning... Hiding was easy.
"I remember as long as I "moved a card" once a day or left a comment, and had something to say in the 15 min meeting in the morning... Hiding was easy."

I remember joining companies that had such issues - it was easy to correct these situations quite quickly.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:34 am

johnkidding wrote:
RollTide31457 wrote:
Are you in an agile workplace configuration? It’s even easier to be invisible in that type of work environment.
I remember as long as I "moved a card" once a day or left a comment, and had something to say in the 15 min meeting in the morning... Hiding was easy.
Having no assigned seats, makes it easy to be invisible and anonymous.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:37 am

RollTide31457 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:34 am
johnkidding wrote:
RollTide31457 wrote:
Having no assigned seats, makes it easy to be invisible and anonymous.
"Having no assigned seats, makes it easy to be invisible and anonymous."
In my experience being invisible and anonymous makes it real easy when it comes time to correct future budgets.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:39 am

My last several months at my second Megacorp employer were like this. I was on a "surplus" list - which meant that if I did not find, or some department dis not have, another position - I would be laid off. Nothing was found and I was out.

I was not willing to transfer to a distant corporate headquarters location (on the West Coast) from the east Coast.

TaxingAccount

Post by TaxingAccount » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:40 am

Last edited by TaxingAccount on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:41 am

TaxingAccount wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:40 am
Apply to be a janitor you will never run out of work then.
At most employers, these jobs are almost always outsourced by contract. No Megacorp benefits or salary at such contractors (except , perhaps, for ownership or high management)

mayday23

Post by mayday23 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:57 am

senex wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:20 pm
knightrider wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 pm
I would never tell him I hardly have any work. I send him a monthly report with all my activities and time spent on them. I pad the numbers and I am sure he knows. But he has never asked me to fill my time with more responsibilities...
Honesty is a good policy. Consider telling him the truth.
Setup a meeting and say "Hey Boss - I just finished up some work and seem to have capacity to take on more work. What can I help with?"

TheMadEph

Post by TheMadEph » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 pm

senex wrote:
knightrider wrote:
I would never tell him I hardly have any work. I send him a monthly report with all my activities and time spent on them. I pad the numbers and I am sure he knows. But he has never asked me to fill my time with more responsibilities...
I tried honesty with my boss one time about this particular issue of not being busy. He looked at me and said, "What? You are super productive! You are doing a great job. Super successful, our whole team is doing a great job and we are keeping super busy. I am very happy with our productivity levels and in fact I think we will need some additional heads. Keep up the good work and things may get even busier, until we can get this new head". I looked at him and said, "great boss, sounds like a plan" and smiled.
30 minutes later (at about 2:00 PM or so) he walked by and mentioned he was having to head home early to meet with architect about renovations. He'd see me the next day, but probably would be in late because he had to take the dog into the vet next morning. Oh, and actually he might just work from home depending on traffic after the vet. And reminded me and my teammate that it might be pretty quiet that Friday (this was a tuesday or something) and we should definitely work from home if we wanted to.
We are getting our new head in a month or so. God only knows what the new person will do.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Between this thread and the ongoing layoff-over-50 thread, I'm quite surprised at the many corporate culture apologists here on BH.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

boogiehead

Post by boogiehead » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:36 pm

TheMadEph wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 pm
senex wrote:
knightrider wrote:
I tried honesty with my boss one time about this particular issue of not being busy. He looked at me and said, "What? You are super productive! You are doing a great job. Super successful, our whole team is doing a great job and we are keeping super busy. I am very happy with our productivity levels and in fact I think we will need some additional heads. Keep up the good work and things may get even busier, until we can get this new head". I looked at him and said, "great boss, sounds like a plan" and smiled.
30 minutes later (at about 2:00 PM or so) he walked by and mentioned he was having to head home early to meet with architect about renovations. He'd see me the next day, but probably would be in late because he had to take the dog into the vet next morning. Oh, and actually he might just work from home depending on traffic after the vet. And reminded me and my teammate that it might be pretty quiet that Friday (this was a tuesday or something) and we should definitely work from home if we wanted to.
We are getting our new head in a month or so. God only knows what the new person will do.
Sounds like a great boss :D .... he probably got burned before in which its either you use it or lose it (budget) policy which most mega corps have.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:42 pm

TheMadEph wrote:
senex wrote:
knightrider wrote:

You’re lucky. Sounds like a great place to work.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:58 pm

I am in the same "predicament", and it is driving me crazy. My boss once told me they are considering hiring an additional employee to help carry the load, and a "are you serious?" slipped out of my mouth.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:26 pm

The problem with this situation is that it really is unsustainable. At some point, someone will take a hard look at who has been doing what. When that happens, you don't want to be in this same situation. How to correct it is anybody's guess, but the longer this goes on, the more at risk you are, and the less you have to hang your hat on when you talk to new employer candidates.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:46 pm

trustquestioner wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm
The longer I go in my career, the more it is apparent basically nobody at huge companies is actually working very hard. It isn’t fair, but it’s all politics and relationships above a baseline of competence.
There is a good deal of truth in this.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:55 pm

knightrider wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:44 pm
I am in my early 40s and started a new job at a megacorp two years ago. Long story, short, I hardly have any work. I think the reason I was hired was the company is doing very well and had money to burn . I know folks are going to say to ask for more work but I can't get motivated by being busy doing nothing..

So do I just enjoy the ride or try actively looking for another job? Before this job I worked 16 years at another megacorp. There too there were many long periods of minimal work..

I would hate to jump ship if my employer has no intention of laying me off. Also I am afraid of getting a new job with a commute and expectations of working 40+ hours/week. Right now I walk to work :-)
This has happened to me in contract engagements and occasionally during slow periods in full time employment. It indeed can be torture. If you keep asking for more work they eventually give you crappy filler assignments that often don't take very long.

If you don't like it, look for another job. Or milk it for as much as you can, realizing that sooner or later it will catch up with you.

If you decide to stick around:

- perhaps study for a professional certification during work hours. I once did this when we had a department head transition during the off season.
- find others that you can help, or find meetings or conference calls to attend. I knew people who were somehow able to get involved in just about everything but actually did very little. I was not very good at that.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Train in your free time. I had some time between projects last year and completed a Matlab course during work.

I envy OPs predicament as I'm at a megacorp that has no problem assigning 120% workloads to folks
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

TheMadEph

Post by TheMadEph » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:42 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:42 pm
TheMadEph wrote:
senex wrote:
knightrider wrote:

You’re lucky. Sounds like a great place to work.
What is funny and relates to some other posters' comments, is that if I told you what company this was, everyone would be surprised as it does not have the reputation for chilled out and underutilization as various other companies. So I am definitely learning that the amount of work people DO vs. the amount of work they like to talk about doing in corporate america is often off by a factor of ten.
Makes me want to get into senior level management and start cutting left and right :)
except i dont care enough.

oilrig

Post by oilrig » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:46 pm

You might just be really fast and efficient at doing your job compared to others on your team. I have had this predicament my entire career, I could finish all my work in a few hours while my coworkers were always complaining about how "swamped" and busy they were. Meanwhile they were the ones taking constant breaks and engaging in multiple hour long chat sessions with coworkers about how much work they had.

I would tread carefully about asking for more work. I have had periods at work that were slow and my boss offered me up to other groups to assist with their workload or projects. This resulted in me doing boring menial work that no one else wanted to do, and that work never went away once things got busy again. So I was stuck doing two person's jobs for the foreseeable future.

My advice is to enjoy the slow times and pretend to look busy, because things are cyclical and it will always get busy again :)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:00 pm

TaxingAccount wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:40 am
Apply to be a janitor you will never run out of work then.
I was an on-campus janitor during undergrad; was a full-time student and playing football. It was one of the highest-paying on-campus jobs ($11.50/hr in '99). My schedule was 3/6hr shifts a week. It would take me, at most, 90min to complete all my work. I did all of my homework and studying during the down time, and it still often was not enough. I never received a single comment that my work was not satisfactory. After about a year-and-a-half I got so tired of trying to keep myself busy that I accepted a lower paying, but more active, job off-campus. I never figured out how my co-workers managed to stretch out their workload over the entire shift.

texas lawdog

Post by texas lawdog » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:18 pm

Depending on your job, there is probably much more that you could be doing...
Always a need to streamline, automate, document everything your involved with these days.
Additional training can always help - tons of educational books online.
You probably have lots of questions on things you do - I'm sure if you look you can always find something interesting and learn more about it...

I'd rather stay busy myself, but seem to always find more than I bargained.

Good luck

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:55 pm

knightrider wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:44 pm
I am in my early 40s and started a new job at a megacorp two years ago. Long story, short, I hardly have any work. I think the reason I was hired was the company is doing very well and had money to burn . I know folks are going to say to ask for more work but I can't get motivated by being busy doing nothing..

So do I just enjoy the ride or try actively looking for another job? Before this job I worked 16 years at another megacorp. There too there were many long periods of minimal work..

I would hate to jump ship if my employer has no intention of laying me off. Also I am afraid of getting a new job with a commute and expectations of working 40+ hours/week. Right now I walk to work :-)
Tell your boss the truth. Stop falsifying your monthly reports. Best of luck.