Not much work at new megacorp job

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
knightrider

Not much work at new megacorp job

Post by knightrider » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:44 pm

I am in my early 40s and started a new job at a megacorp two years ago. Long story, short, I hardly have any work. I think the reason I was hired was the company is doing very well and had money to burn . I know folks are going to say to ask for more work but I can't get motivated by being busy doing nothing..

So do I just enjoy the ride or try actively looking for another job? Before this job I worked 16 years at another megacorp. There too there were many long periods of minimal work..

I would hate to jump ship if my employer has no intention of laying me off. Also I am afraid of getting a new job with a commute and expectations of working 40+ hours/week. Right now I walk to work :-)

AllenSmith

Re: Not much work at new megacorp job

Post by AllenSmith » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:52 pm

offer to take a pay cut, they'll appreciate it & keep you around

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:54 pm

Do you get called into your boss's office every year for a performance review? What do they say when you tell them that "I hardly have any work"? Normally this situation won't last forever.

I was in a somewhat similar situation but I was in my later 50's and close to FI, so just riding along until I finally got laid off was not that bad of an option. Plus my boss worked remotely from his boat and did about 1% of the work that I did.
Last edited by KlingKlang on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:55 pm

I once spent a year at a job (as an intern) doing absolutely nothing. It was painful. Surfing the web at work for a week is one thing, doing it for a year is mentally very difficult, at least it was for me. My boss basically never had time to meet or assign me the project that I was supposed to work on. He gave me a few papers to read but that was literally it over an entire year. It was at a government agency.

If I was in a similar situation today I would be very actively looking for a different job. I honestly probably should have walked out after a month, it was such a waste of my time. Probably would have taken a month for my boss to even notice that I wasn't there. The hilarious thing is that afterwards, that supervisor gave me the most amazingly positive glowing reviews/references that it's possible to give.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:55 pm

Perhaps you could convince the executive team to increase their dividend or do a stock buy-back, since they don't have a good use for some of their reserves.

Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 pm

KlingKlang wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:54 pm
Do you get called into your boss's office every year for a performance review? What do they say when you tell them that "I hardly have any work"? Normally this situation won't last forever.
I would never tell him I hardly have any work. I send him a monthly report with all my activities and time spent on them. I pad the numbers and I am sure he knows. But he has never asked me to fill my time with more responsibilities...

StopIroningShirts

Post by StopIroningShirts » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:01 pm

I'm going to kind of echo what others have said, how much can you tolerate doing nothing?

I'd be actively looking for a job and netowrking in case of a layoff. I made a move before I declared early retirement and the "doing nothing" was painful for me if it was more than an hour or two. "Doing nothing" at home is cool, I have plenty of hobbies. Doing nothing in a suit, an uncomfortable office chair, and internet restrictions is something else.

Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:55 pm
Perhaps you could convince the executive team to increase their dividend or do a stock buy-back, since they don't have a good use for some of their reserves.
I guess you are half-joking but this is something I've always wondered about. It seems creating jobs take priority when companies have excess money...

trustquestioner

Post by trustquestioner » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm

The longer I go in my career, the more it is apparent basically nobody at huge companies is actually working very hard. It isn’t fair, but it’s all politics and relationships above a baseline of competence.

Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm

StopIroningShirts wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:01 pm
I'm going to kind of echo what others have said, how much can you tolerate doing nothing?
I can tolerate alot because I enjoy it :) I love the freedom and use the free time to my advantage..

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:15 pm

One possible career problem is if you get laid off at 45 after doing nothing for 5 years. Your job skills have probably atrophied. You don't have any accomplishments you can point to for the last 5 years, other than going in to the office, surfing the web and getting paid. Makes it hard to get another job, especially over 40 or closing in on 50.

I can see coasting if you are near FI or retirement and it won't upset your financial applecart to be laid off a year or two down the road. I know I was nowhere near that financial position in my mid 40s when I got laid off. Took a 30% pay cut and had to move across the country. It took me 6 or 7 years to get back to the same pay I had (admittedly in a VHCOL location).

In the end I did quite well for my career as a whole. But it is no fun getting laid off, especially when you are over 40.
De gustibus non est disputandum

senex

Post by senex » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:20 pm

knightrider wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 pm
I would never tell him I hardly have any work. I send him a monthly report with all my activities and time spent on them. I pad the numbers and I am sure he knows. But he has never asked me to fill my time with more responsibilities...
Honesty is a good policy. Consider telling him the truth.

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 pm

If you are honest about more availability and they really can't assign more work, pursue some on-the-job professional (or personal) development?
Seek out some new skills or tools you can learn that are at least sort-of related to your work, do the online training courses in your down time at the office, pursue a new certification
Networking: volunteer on committees for your professional organization
Publications: write papers to submit to professional journals
Research: does your company have any data available to play with?
Learn a new foreign language or a programming language
Can some kind of exercise fit into your work day?

TTBG

Post by TTBG » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 pm

If you did get laid off, what would you put on your resume for the two years you've had this job? It might be harder to pad your resume than it is to pad your monthly report. Can you come up with your own projects that require you to learn something new? I can relate to wanting to relax and enjoy your free time, but if it was me, I would spend at least part of that time doing something that I could talk about in my next interview.

Iridium

Post by Iridium » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:28 pm

knightrider wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:44 pm
I know folks are going to say to ask for more work but I can't get motivated by being busy doing nothing..
That isn't what people mean. When you ask for more work, the goal isn't to get 'nothing' in return. The expectation is that you'll either get more of the same work, help out on a high priority/high visibility project or get to take on one of the many things that everyone knows ought to be done, but keeps getting pushed back because it isn't required to be done. However, in many cases, managers don't know everything that needs to get done and certainly can't read your mind on what you would like to work on. So, don't necessarily ask for work, present a proposal ('to keep on the back burner for whenever you complete your regular work') and be prepared to argue its benefits and negotiate the scope.

I do not like either of the two options you presented. It sounds like you have a really nice commute and work-life balance. However, the mind is like a muscle. If you get unmotivated and coast, it will become very difficult to get back up to speed. Which is why an internal transfer or suggesting projects seems like the way to go.

It is hard to give specific advice without knowing your occupation, but just some jumping off points on projects to present to your boss:
* If your team's work doubled, what would you wish had been in place?
* What is that one thing that isn't industry standard that is a bit embarrassing but you do it that way because it is just too hard to change now?
* If you bring someone new into the group, what would help them get up to speed?
* What are the most common mistakes that occur? What sort of checks can help catch them?
* What are the checks that are just stupid? What would be a better check? Can you show that the errors caught with the original check would have been caught with your revision?
* Are there any alternatives to the vendors that you use? What factors would you use in a trade study?
* How can your group or the company as a whole learn better? Most mega corps have internal clubs. Does yours have a business books club? Or a lunch club to help break down silos? Does someone need to step up to create one? Is there a lecture series you could give a presentation to? Could you create the lecture series?
* What associations and standards bodies are related to your industry or trade? What sort of involvement should the company have with them? Should a local chapter of said organization be created (local chapters need free space and your employer wants to get its name in front of potential recruits). Should you be attending the national meetings of said organizations to try to change the conversation?
* Can you help out with college recruiting and phone screening?
* What is the most annoying thing to your customer about what you produce? How can that be alleviated? How can your group's customers learn how to use your work product more effectively?
* Who has the most interesting job at the company at your level? How did s/he get that job? Can you start getting experience required for that job?
* When you go searching for a job, what projects/skills/experiences would you wish was on your resume?
Last edited by Iridium on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:30 pm

can I get a job at your company? :D

GCD

Post by GCD » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Before I retired, I worked for the federal govt. I once was assigned to Unit A that didn't do much and that was doing a type of work I hated. When I had time I volunteered in Unit B. I wanted to be over there because they did work I was interested in. Unit A didn't mind because I got everything done over there first and a lot of my work with Unit B was after hours, but not all of it. The bosses up the chain were ok with it because they saw it as a gung ho worker broadening his skill set. Unit B got to know me, I made friends over there, and learned how to do their work. Guess who was a shoe in the next time there was an open spot at Unit B?

Perhaps you can use your spare time to work your way into a better spot in the company?

GCD

Post by GCD » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:34 pm

knightrider wrote:
Right now I walk to work :-)
At least you aren't being tailgated! :P

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:35 pm

How many hours do you work per week?

I would try to target 35, to give yourself 5 for development.

How many hours do you think your coworkers work compared to you? Is everyone in the same boat?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:43 pm

I found that a lot of corporate work is a feast-or-famine thing, with long periods of no-progress followed by unexpected periods of terror and impossible demands. (Kind of like military work.) So I speculate that if you wait around a bit more, some re-org or change in management will cause so much stress that you will be longing for the days of blissful contemplation.

I used to spend time reading books on some sort of software I thought could be useful playing with fun things and that these skills came in very handy later on.

mmac8

Post by mmac8 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:05 pm

You can come assist me in my role, most days I feel like there are not enough hours in the day!

But seriously, I would probably be looking for another gig. I feel it's important to exhibit value or else you might be the first one out the door in the event of a down turn.

Iridium

Post by Iridium » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:29 pm

knightrider wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 pm
I would never tell him I hardly have any work. I send him a monthly report with all my activities and time spent on them. Ipad the numbers and I am sure he knows. But he has never asked me to fill my time with more responsibilities...
On what basis? If he isn't sitting in your office watching you work, how does he know that you are finishing work early vs you being incompetent? How sure are you that there isn't more work to do, vs you have a good boss who avoids assigning more work than his subordinates are capable of doing, and your monthly reports are indicating that you are at your capacity.

Why would you never tell your boss that you have more capacity to take on some stretch assignments? I get that being able to play around for half the day is great in the short term, but you clearly recognize the problems it causes in the long term. So why not open the conversation to fix the problem at the company that is a bike commute away and respects its employee's family time rather than hiding the problem and your feelings about it and jumping ship to a distant unknown employer? Either:

There is more work: in which case problem solved.
There is not more work: in which case you at least look good for your honestly and productivity, and it opens the conversation to where you want to take your career.

Sounds like a no lose situation to me!

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:47 pm

Is there some sort of side job you can do at work, such as preparing income tax forms?

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:58 pm

I would ask boss on a monthly basis if there is anything they need help with that you would like to learn more if there is an opportunity and usually at big megacorps there are lots of things to volunteer for like making the quarterly safey presentation, leading the holiday party team, presenting a CPE course, volunteer for a team like the diversity team, there should be lots of areas to get involved with another department or join a cross functional team. You will be seen as someone who is company first, it will give you more chances to not be bored and you will meet new people.

boogiehead

Post by boogiehead » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:00 pm

There are pros and cons in every job.... based on what you wrote there is basically only one con.... not a lot of work. Sounds like as good as it gets so no need to do anything drastic. Do a side gig, hone your skills by studying for certs, attend trainings and conferences to continue learning and networking, lastly learn and read more bogleheads :sharebeer

Sam1

Post by Sam1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:50 am

I’d make sure to ask to help with things “how can I help?” “ I received this email regarding X. What can I do to help?”

I’d make sure this communication is via email and would save them. If anyone ever criticizes you during a performance review for not doing anything, I’d tell them about how you’ve asked a number of times to help with things and you can show these emails if you’d like.

bberris

Post by bberris » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:57 am

Maybe they are looking for you to create a new project. Having a free rein could be a dream job. Just be careful not to infringe on someone else.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:26 am

To me, padding your monthly report would be cause for dismissal.

I cannot imagine having nothing to do. If I had been the intern with nothing to do for a year in a government job, I would have ratted the agency/department out.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:52 am

Read and post to BH all day! That works for me during periods of mind-numbing boredom.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:03 am

trustquestioner wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm
The longer I go in my career, the more it is apparent basically nobody at huge companies is actually working very hard. It isn’t fair, but it’s all politics and relationships above a baseline of competence.
This post made me laugh! It’s probably quite true.
Steve

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:35 am

I suggest talking to your boss and telling him you have the capacity to do additional work and would welcome the opportunity to do so. It would help if you have some ideas about what you could do: new projects, things not being done today or where you could be helpful. Also, if there are relevant skills you could apply or develop. As you said, he already knows you are under utilized so there is probably not a big risk in taking this approach.

Another approach is to apply for openings within your office.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

trustquestioner wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm
Every now and then, though, a new sheriff comes to town and cleans out the slackers. No mercy.

Shareholders deserve better. The success of capitalism isn’t a mortal lock. I believe that meaningful employment will be a luxury someday.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

imfocusedman

Post by imfocusedman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:44 am

Iridium wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:28 pm
knightrider wrote:
I know folks are going to say to ask for more work but I can't get motivated by being busy doing nothing..
That isn't what people mean. When you ask for more work, the goal isn't to get 'nothing' in return. The expectation is that you'll either get more of the same work, help out on a high priority/high visibility project or get to take on one of the many things that everyone knows ought to be done, but keeps getting pushed back because it isn't required to be done. However, in many cases, managers don't know everything that needs to get done and certainly can't read your mind on what you would like to work on. So, don't necessarily ask for work, present a proposal ('to keep on the back burner for whenever you complete your regular work') and be prepared to argue its benefits and negotiate the scope.

I do not like either of the two options you presented. It sounds like you have a really nice commute and work-life balance. However, the mind is like a muscle. If you get unmotivated and coast, it will become very difficult to get back up to speed. Which is why an internal transfer or suggesting projects seems like the way to go.

It is hard to give specific advice without knowing your occupation, but just some jumping off points on projects to present to your boss:
* If your team's work doubled, what would you wish had been in place?
* What is that one thing that isn't industry standard that is a bit embarrassing but you do it that way because it is just too hard to change now?
* If you bring someone new into the group, what would help them get up to speed?
* What are the most common mistakes that occur? What sort of checks can help catch them?
* What are the checks that are just stupid? What would be a better check? Can you show that the errors caught with the original check would have been caught with your revision?
* Are there any alternatives to the vendors that you use? What factors would you use in a trade study?
* How can your group or the company as a whole learn better? Most mega corps have internal clubs. Does yours have a business books club? Or a lunch club to help break down silos? Does someone need to step up to create one? Is there a lecture series you could give a presentation to? Could you create the lecture series?
* What associations and standards bodies are related to your industry or trade? What sort of involvement should the company have with them? Should a local chapter of said organization be created (local chapters need free space and your employer wants to get its name in front of potential recruits). Should you be attending the national meetings of said organizations to try to change the conversation?
* Can you help out with college recruiting and phone screening?
* What is the most annoying thing to your customer about what you produce? How can that be alleviated? How can your group's customers learn how to use your work product more effectively?
* Who has the most interesting job at the company at your level? How did s/he get that job? Can you start getting experience required for that job?
* When you go searching for a job, what projects/skills/experiences would you wish was on your resume?
Great list for anyone looking to add more value in their work. Thanks for sharing this!

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:52 am

Just keep on reading bogleheads... :)

Go back for your masters?
Find a certification for your field and start working towards that?

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:09 am

In my 30 years at megacorp I always found work. There was always something to do. There must be some standards and old jobs you can review, learn and improve. Megacorp must have written procedures which you should review. After meetings study any handouts in great detail. You need to be a self-starter.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:25 am

I wouldn't expect this to happen much at a large corporation but it is too common when it comes to government agencies. In those cases, managers are often promoted/awarded based on the number of people they manage (well, actually the number of people under them, many don't do much managing) and their budget. That often leads to groups with too many people and a lack of work. I've known people who complain and then are told it is their job to find work. The sad part is that there are other groups that have too much work and can't (or aren't allowed to) hire more people.

Sadly its our tax money at work.

I have noticed in my years at larger corporations that they can also get too government like, especially if they are large defense contractors.

Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:16 am

Try to be patient especially if the pay, benefits and location are good.

Rather than tell your boss you don't have much to do, invert the question. Ask him and others for other opportunities for work. Say you have interests in other projects going on and would like to help. Do any extra work you can. I think it will show them you have initiative, "add value" and might pay off in the long-run.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:19 am

Realistically, this scenario probably is not uncommon at large companies, although this is probably an extreme case. Many people are underworked and spend a lot of time burning time. If you really care about being more productive, you have to actively seek projects and responsibilities, rather than wait for someone to tell you what to do.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:32 am

I've been in a position with little work to do most of my life. It is often cyclical in my field. I've left several jobs due to boredom. Since it seems you don't mind having the free time, I wouldn't do anything. Repeatedly asking for more work will usually get you the worst possible work as the important, well defined work has already been doled out.

My last job was the worst. Very little to do and we had bench seating so everyone could see what you are doing.

I think the comment upthread about a lot of people in the corporate world not being busy isn't far off. Generally, managers manage people and want more of them whether needed or not. They think the more people under them, the more they are needed. I also find they don't like to lend out people when an employee has bandwidth for various reasons.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:37 am

ohai wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:19 am
Realistically, this scenario probably is not uncommon at large companies, although this is probably an extreme case. Many people are underworked and spend a lot of time burning time. If you really care about being more productive, you have to actively seek projects and responsibilities, rather than wait for someone to tell you what to do.
Periods of mind-numbing boredom have been the bane of my career. Intense pressure and crazy deadlines, weekend work etc. followed by weeks or months with -0- to do. Asking for more work oftentimes ends up being assigned busy work (inventory the supplies cabinet, etc.)

Different companies in different industries.

Once I asked a department I support if they need anything done and eagerly took on an assignment. I was chastised by my manager for doing so.

During these slow times I've read novels, keeping them in the pencil drawer of my desk, extensively planned an outside-work charity event, read and post to BH, etc.

What a waste of the most precious, non-recoverable thing available to any if us: time.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:02 am

Fortunately we were never at jobs where time could or would be wasted, there was always a drive and need to improve.

dgm

Post by dgm » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:08 am

this may be a golden opportunity in disguise.

A very successful and young executive who was my senior who was widely considered the "golden boy" at my company for having shot up to the top of the organization had this advice:

60% of your time should be spent on your normal, assigned work
40% of your time should be spent on working on personal projects valuable for the company that you have assigned yourself as an extra initiative.

in practice most people can't fathom carving out time for the 40% because of how much work they have. but you--could be in a great position to accelerate your career on your own terms. A luxury many people do not have

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:14 am

A buddy of mine worked for Google a decade ago and had periods of high workload and periods of low workload (he worked in information systems - compliance, so apparently it was very seasonal).

During the periods of low workload, he would teach himself to code though online courses. He ended up quitting Google (which I thought was asinine at the time), using these coding skills to start many online businesses. Most of the online businesses failed, but one was a wild success and he's worth close to 10M today (in his mid 30's).

Long story short: after exhausting your work-related activities, try to use downtime to improve your skills. Being more skilled will never hurt you in life.
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha.

deskpilot65

Post by deskpilot65 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:58 am

My megacorp, which has been dying a slow death since the 1990s, had long periods of little work. I went years at a time under-utilized.

I learned early on to never ask for work - since my manager would have been forced make up some menial task that did not need to be done.

I spent my free time working on my own projects that gave me the skills to jump to a new part of the megacorp when my org eventually died. These projects were usually tools or prototypes that theoretically had some value for my current org and could be listed as accomplishments.

I also spent a lot of time WFH, getting chores done, and spending time with my kids. This was the best choice I ever made - although it would not be right for everyone.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:18 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:26 am
I cannot imagine having nothing to do. If I had been the intern with nothing to do for a year in a government job, I would have ratted the agency/department out.
I was 19 at the time. Obviously wouldn't have put up with it now!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:18 am

knightrider wrote:
I am in my early 40s and started a new job at a megacorp two years ago. Long story, short, I hardly have any work. I think the reason I was hired was the company is doing very well and had money to burn . I know folks are going to say to ask for more work but I can't get motivated by being busy doing nothing..

So do I just enjoy the ride or try actively looking for another job? Before this job I worked 16 years at another megacorp. There too there were many long periods of minimal work..

I would hate to jump ship if my employer has no intention of laying me off. Also I am afraid of getting a new job with a commute and expectations of working 40+ hours/week. Right now I walk to work :-)
I think this is a real "rarity" today.

Decades ago, many Megacorps in the US had some kind of corner on their market and could (and chose to) do this kind of thing. Such fortunate companies paid (salary, benefits, retirement) more than "the job market" for many kinds of employees. From my memory and experience back those many years, such companies included IBM, Eastman Kodak, Xerox, and AT&T. I am sure there were others as well. In addition to good regular pay, job security and retirement, Eastman Kodak paid a "bonus" to employees every year - in the spring, as I recall.

Beach

Post by Beach » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:26 am

My boredom at Megacorp led me to find another job in the same Megacorp but doing something different....I start the new job next week. We'll see if it was a mistake, but sitting around for weeks at a time with nothing to do was mentally taxing. At least I keep my seniority and vacation days.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:33 am

Enjoy the easy money.

Are you in an agile workplace configuration? It’s even easier to be invisible in that type of work environment.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 am

Been there. I had a job which required 10 stressful hours a day for the first week of the month and then started to rapidly decline throughout the month. 3rd week of the month I'd walk into my office, sit down and realize I had zero work that day. My whole dept was like that, manager struggled to find work during those down times. I knew guys who watched movies, took long lunches, traded stocks etc. I went to the gym and worked out. I knew a handful of guys who kept some dumbbells in their office.

I'd talk to your manager ask for ways to advance, additional projects, or what you can do for additional education. If nothing works out I'd consider looking at a new job. Not having much work and doing other things on company time just feels wrong and if someone walks into your office seeing you surf the web it just feels awkward.

johnkidding

Post by johnkidding » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:21 am

RollTide31457 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:33 am
Are you in an agile workplace configuration? It’s even easier to be invisible in that type of work environment.
Would you humor me by elaborating?
I remember as long as I "moved a card" once a day or left a comment, and had something to say in the 15 min meeting in the morning... Hiding was easy.