Wife hates new job...wants to quit after 1 day

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Sockpuppet

Wife hates new job...wants to quit after 1 day

Post by Sockpuppet » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:11 am

So my wife just started a new job paying in the low six figures at a multinational Corp and by the end of her first hour she wanted to quit.

Her first few minutes at work began with with her new boss who told her that they had just announced a restructuring plan and that a hiring freeze had put in place. She had been hired to build up a new 14-person team but that was on hold for at least the next 6 months and we’re “going to need to figure out what to do with you.” In addition, one of her main reasons for coming to this job was reimbursement for her education but due to the restructuring he said he wasn’t sure if the company would be able to reimburse her schooling now. He then left never to be seen again that day.

She was then placed at a shared table which she was told was her permanent workspace with three others and provided no computer. When she asked for a computer the IT manager gruffed “you weren’t supposed to be here” and stormed away only to come back with a five year old desktop that she had to install herself.

People at her shared table never spoke to her and she left convinced her new position is slated for elimination in the restructuring as she has “manager” in her title but no one to manage or the ability to hire people.

I’m kind of blown away by all this. I’ve told her I’ll support her whatever she wants to do. We have the financial means to survive her being out of work for an extended time (though it wouldn’t be fun).

But what’s the smart move here? I did tell her it was only 1 day...but I have to admit this doesn’t sound good. Particularly being told that her education might not be reimbursed now when that was one of the main selling points for coming here (they really made a big deal during the interview process about this and she made clear this was very important to her).

Advice for her and me as a supportive spouse?

[please see Day 2 update here: viewtopic.php?p=4485596#p4485694 - moderator prudent]
Last edited by Sockpuppet on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

MotoTrojan

Re: Wife hates new job...wants to quit after 1 day

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:15 am

Immediately start looking for a new job and do the absolute bare minimum to keep this new paycheck coming in.

Wild story, sorry for your SO.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:16 am

Sockpuppet wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:11 am
It sounds like you're already doing it: listen, be sympathetic, and care for her during what is surely a stressful time.

As for the job, normally my advice is to give it a little time to settle in but this sounds terrible. It's probably not too soon to reach back out to other firms she may have interviewed with (possibly even old job, if she left on good terms) to see what options she might have.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

bampf

Post by bampf » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:17 am

Look for a new job. Take the layoff package when it arrives. Sounds like they don't have much for her to do.

Topic Author
Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:18 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:15 am
Immediately start looking for a new job and do the absolute bare minimum to keep this new paycheck coming in.

How does she explain why she is looking for work...after 1 day at her new employer!? This was something we were struggling with.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:18 am

Wow, that sounds awful. Would her prior employer be willing to take her back?

In any event, she should run, not walk, from that hellhole.
Last edited by samsoes on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:20 am

Sockpuppet wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:18 am
MotoTrojan wrote:

How does she explain why she is looking for work...after 1 day at her new employer!? This was something we were struggling with.
Exactly what you related to us. On her first day, she was told that a major restructuring was put into place between when she accepted the offer and when she started. Her mandate to hire a new team was cancelled, and her layoff is likely imminent.

Couldn't be more clear.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 am

Sockpuppet wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:

With only 1 day there, does anyone need to know she even started a new job? Above response is sound too.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:25 am

I would personally enjoy my coffee on that table, playing games on my cellphone, applying on new jobs with my cellphone, while getting paid for doing all of that! When they decide to lay me off, I would get unemployment benefits.
However, if that gets mental for her, health becomes #1 and she could quit.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

grkmec

Post by grkmec » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:25 am

Does employment contract have any protections? Such as compensation guarantee, education reimbursement, etc.? If not, then best course of action would be to start looking for new job and take whatever severance package is coming.

Topic Author
Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:27 am

samsoes wrote:
Wow, that sounds awful. Would her prior employer need willing to take her back?

I think it’s possible. They let her keep all her equipment for an extra week to hold her over before she started the new job. Let her keep her company phone. And her stated reason for leaving was tuition reimbursement (which they couldn’t do).

But she really....doesn’t want to make that walk of shame. Plus she had her unstated reasons for leaving (several rounds of layoffs over the last year).

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:27 am

If she had other offers she liked, I would get in touch with those people and explain what happened. If she handled turning them down correctly, they may well make her a new offer. Plus, start looking. What you have described is a good explanation for why she is looking. Anyone with enough experience in the job market will have run into something like this.

I would keep the paycheck coming in while she looks for a new job. I expect they will let her go anyway pretty soon, but money is money. Also, if she resigns, she will not be eligible for unemployment payments.

Unless it's in a contract, I would not expect severance pay.

I'm sorry that this mess exists. It is unfortunate, but crap happens in the job market.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:29 am

The worst case is no longer working there. If one of the problems with the job is that inevitability, might as well stick around to see if things change. It sounds like morale is low there at the moment but it could pick up. She should find a way to make herself useful. I assume the 14 person team, once hired, would be doing something, why can't she start planning that out? She can always quit at any time in the future. Maybe people were being mean because she is the company's future, they aren't going to survive restructuring and they're bitter. Once they're gone maybe everything will be hunky dory.

What does the contract say about the loan reimbursement?

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:30 am

Does the paperwork guarantee reimbursement for her educational expenses? If so, I would enforce that. I assume they are substantial? Or not yet incurred?

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:32 am

Sockpuppet wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:27 am
samsoes wrote:
Wow, that sounds awful. Would her prior employer need willing to take her back?

I think it’s possible. They let her keep all her equipment for an extra week to hold her over before she started the new job. Let her keep her company phone. And her stated reason for leaving was tuition reimbursement (which they couldn’t do).

But she really....doesn’t want to make that walk of shame. Plus she had her unstated reasons for leaving (several rounds of layoffs over the last year).
Well, the walk of shame will be over relatively quickly compared to never ending days on end sitting at a shared table with nothing to do.

Sometimes ya gotta eat some crow. :(
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

mcamp18

Post by mcamp18 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:34 am

Hang in there until the megacorp sorts things out. This is strictly a financial decision. If her position is terminated at the very least there would be unemployment benefits that will smooth any transition that your family might need to endure.

Personal growth occurs when a person leaves their comfort zone. Look at this as an opportunity to grow her skill set. Although she finds herself in a totally compromised situation set some new goals. How can I rise to put myself in an influential position to help this company turn around? Align her skill set with the new world she finds herself in in this new position. She should practice and be aware throughout the day of her posture. What is her body language saying? She needs to literally keep her chin up, shoulders back, and maintain a pleasant smile.

Have a plan B and explore other options while gainfully employed.

siriusblack

Post by siriusblack » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:34 am

Sockpuppet wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:27 am
There's no shame in it -- she made a logical decision, and now she's making another logical decision with the arrival of new facts.
Last edited by siriusblack on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:35 am

Wow. Might be worth a call to an employment attorney in your state to discuss rights, if any. I had a situation several years ago where within weeks, I knew I would have to leave. It was incredibly stressful even though we could have lived off my husband’s income indefinitely. Not taking the first job offer I received was hard, but I’m glad I stuck with it. Basically already had two great offers by the time things got extreme but that was several months later.

I’m wondering if there is also the possibility of an internal transfer. Obviously someone higher up really wanted your wife. That might be worth a call to HR, not as a long-term career move but to provide time.

While your story is extreme, I’ve seen a lot of people, myself included, not get what they expected in salary, benefits, and responsibilities. In my last position, I had a core responsibility, and main reason for taking the job, taken from me and given to a colleague who my boss was friends with within days of starting. It was pretty infuriating, but eventually I transferred.

Your wife can start reaching out to contacts and headhunters. Maybe keep the old job up on LinkedIn for the time being. As someone who was interviewing within six months people get that sometimes things don’t work out. I didn’t really have any pushback on my “story” which was that the group overhired without the work to support new staff.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:35 am

Sounds like she isn’t the kind of person who can deal with uncertainty/ambiguity and is also not particularly social. She may be in the wrong role to begin with. I mean come on, she was upset that people didn’t talk to her? Did she introduce herself and talk to them? “Hi, I’m XXX, this is my first day, who are you and what do you do here?”

In a perfectly functioning megacorp it is usually a small miracle to have 1) space 2) a computer 3) necessary passwords and access for a new employee. No surprise she is at a random table with bad IT if chaos just started.

My guess is she got hired into megacorp before restructuring where there was a solid plan for her job, and now she has entered the chaos associated with the restructuring. I don’t see what the big deal is.

She is making 6 figures, has no particular job duties, doesn’t have any staff, and her current management doesn’t care what she does in the near term. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to learn the business, talk to people, and find ways to be useful and add value in the restructuring before she starts getting told what to do after the dust settles. Or complain about not entering a perfect situation and immediately being micromanaged and want to quit :oops:

There is a phrase “In chaos comes opportunity”

Not trying to be harsh, just my opinions after reading your OP. I deal with millennials a lot, so maybe I’m starting to get jaded with the complete lack of grit anymore.

Topic Author
Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:37 am

fru-gal wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:30 am
Does the paperwork guarantee reimbursement for her educational expenses? If so, I would enforce that. I assume they are substantial? Or not yet incurred?
I’ll need to ask her about what her paperwork says.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:40 am

Strayshot wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:35 am
Sounds like she isn’t the kind of person who can deal with uncertainty/ambiguity and is also not particularly social. She may be in the wrong role to begin with. I mean come on, she was upset that people didn’t talk to her? Did she introduce herself and talk to them? “Hi, I’m XXX, this is my first day, who are you and what do you do here?”

In a perfectly functioning megacorp it is usually a small miracle to have 1) space 2) a computer 3) necessary passwords and access for a new employee. No surprise she is at a random table with bad IT if chaos just started.

My guess is she got hired into megacorp before restructuring where there was a solid plan for her job, and now she has entered the chaos associated with the restructuring. I don’t see what the big deal is.

She is making 6 figures, has no particular job duties, doesn’t have any staff, and her current management doesn’t care what she does in the near term. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to learn the business, talk to people, and find ways to be useful and add value in the restructuring before she starts getting told what to do after the dust settles. Or complain about not entering a perfect situation and immediately being micromanaged and want to quit :oops:

There is a phrase “In chaos comes opportunity”

Not trying to be harsh, just my opinions after reading your OP. I deal with millennials a lot, so maybe I’m starting to get jaded with the complete lack of grit anymore.
And when does Elvis arrive?

Seriously, having dealt with hellhole workplaces, she should leave now and not look back. Years from now she can talk about the bullet she dodged in this situation.
Last edited by samsoes on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 am

I would not rush to judgment after one day and I surely wouldn’t waste money on an atttorney, for Pete’s sake. She has a job, presumably they’re paying her or will in two weeks, what could possibly be the cause of action there? That an at-will perk of employment was removed?

It was two weeks before I had a computer at one employer, and a shared table isn’t much worse than a typical cubicle.

Maybe she was supposed to have a team but what was that team’s objective? Maybe she ought to dig in a little more and see how she might begin fulfilling that objective. Grab coffee with table mates? Ask boss for 5-10 names of people to meet that will be key to learning company and her role? Walk around the office and introduce herself to people?

Surely she was brought there to be more than a babysitter for a bunch of employees she would hire.

I’m not saying she shouldn’t keep her network warm or keep looking for other jobs, but she might actually try to dive in here and see if she can provide some value in exchange for the money she’s being paid.
Last edited by 8foot7 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 am

Strayshot wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:35 am
Sounds like she isn’t the kind of person who can deal with uncertainty/ambiguity and is also not particularly social.
She DEFINITELY doesn’t like uncertainty. She plans everything out. One of her reasons for leaving her previous employer was concerns over their solvency.

However, she’s very social. At parties I’m usually the one hiding in the corner but she knows everyone’s name, their kids, and talks to everybody.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 am

8foot7 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 am
I would not rush to judgment after one day and I surely wouldn’t waste money on an atttorney, for Pete’s sake. She has a job, presumably they’re paying her or will in two weeks, what could possibly be the cause of action there? That an at-will perk of employment was removed?

It was two weeks before I had a computer at one employer, and a shared table isn’t much worse than a typical cubicle.

Maybe she was supposed to have a team but what was that team’s objective? Maybe she ought to dig in a little more and see how she might begin fulfilling that objective. Grab coffee with table mates? Ask boss for 5-10 names of people to meet that will be key to learning company and her role? Walk around the office and introduce herself to people?

Surely she was brought there to be more than a babysitter for a bunch of employees she would hire.
+1

Give it a few weeks.
I don't invest looking in the rear view mirror and I know absolutely nothing about the future.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:45 am

He then left never to be seen again that day.
My situation is clearly different but when I started my current job I didn't see the boss for a few days, and when I ran into her in the hallway I stopped to try to exchange a few words. I got a smile and a nod and "we have a meeting scheduled in a couple of days, right?" and she walked away. She turned out to be a wonderful and supportive boss. She was probably super busy and I'm sure your wife's boss is too.
Last edited by mega317 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:50 am

Many years ago I took a new job. My mandate was to build something. Shortly thereafter the industry went into crisis, and all project expenditures were cancelled, including mine. I made do with a mini version of my project. Over that year, morale in the industry and company were awful. When I resigned at the end of that year, head of department told me how foolish I was. Three weeks later he resigned...

If she finds something better, she should go. If not, see how things go in the first few weeks.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:51 am

One day, as in 1 day.
Hate to repeat myself, but it was only one day.
Think about that.
I usually like to give things a chance.

Topic Author
Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 am

8foot7 wrote:

She was supposed to be leading a new client facing team. But as there is no team (nor ability to hire a team) nor clients to interact with its going to be difficult to fulfill any of her objectives. Everyone else at her location is in a vastly different role. Her only counterparts are on the East Coast and international. She was supposed to fly out to the East Coast to meet her peers and their teams but that has apparently been put on hold.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:20 am
Sockpuppet wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:

Exactly what you related to us. On her first day, she was told that a major restructuring was put into place between when she accepted the offer and when she started. Her mandate to hire a new team was cancelled, and her layoff is likely imminent.

Couldn't be more clear.
+1

Straight and honest answer. There's no need to mention the details (re no computer etc.)-- that just sounds petty.

But that a restructuring means the job she was hired for and the resources she was going to have no longer exist.

She should get her CV out to contacts immediately - ASAP. Anyone she interviewed with that she turned down, even her old employer, etc.

The pace of corporate turbulence is now so great that people will understand. We have all heard of such situations.

basspond

Post by basspond » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:03 am

Sounds like there could be at least 3 scenarios in work here:
First everyone was blind sided, were shocked and didn’t handle the situation correctly.
Second the management are awful
Third this was a test and the people sharing her work space were her new team. If she is supposed to be managing people she failed this one miserably.

Check the paperwork/contract but you can probably be guaranteed that the company has out language in the employment/payback contract.

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 am

Stick it out for a few more days at least. However there is an inflection point where it looks worse on the resume. 1-2 weeks you can say it wasn't a good fit and move on. Upwards of 6 months and it starts to look bad on the employee side, like they couldn't hack it.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 am

MotoTrojan wrote:

Agreed. Start looking for a new job. It will be easy to explain why you leaving this job as the job description completely changed and she was looking forward to a more defined leadership roles which are aligned with her abilities. A paycheck every month is nothing to turn down and will likely be easier to tolerate the work conditions when she knows she will be checking out when a new gig opens up.

I am pretty sure the new gig if waiting out for her to leave so they won't leave.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:08 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sockpuppet wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:

Couldn't be more clear.
+1

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:11 am

Sockpuppet wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 am
However, she’s very social. At parties I’m usually the one hiding in the corner but she knows everyone’s name, their kids, and talks to everybody.
But she sat at a shared table all day and didn’t talk with or engage others and complained about it afterwards? Does not compute........

Maybe you can highlight some of these things to her, not in a direct and harsh “tough love” way like myself and others are posting on a web board, but in a compassionate way to spark dialog. “Hey honey, you seem really social when we are at parties with friends but were upset about the shared table where nobody talked. Did you try starting up conversations to get things going?” And see what happens.

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 am

JediMisty wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:08 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sockpuppet wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:

Couldn't be more clear.
+1
+1
Don't quit now - wait until she gets a new position (or for the layoff if it comes first). And try to have an open mind the rest of the week in case there is some surprising turnaround. But start looking and contacting network immediately.
Last edited by leeks on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:15 am

In chaos, there is opportunity - sometime.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:18 am

Strayshot wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:11 am
Maybe you can highlight some of these things to her, not in a direct and harsh “tough love” way like myself and others are posting on a web board, but in a compassionate way to spark dialog. “Hey honey, you seem really social when we are at parties with friends but were upset about the shared table where nobody talked. Did you try starting up conversations to get things going?” And see what happens.
I don't know the OP or his wife, but I suspect that question might backfire in an unpleasant fashion. :shock:

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:19 am

Sockpuppet wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 am
8foot7 wrote:

She was supposed to be leading a new client facing team. But as there is no team (nor ability to hire a team) nor clients to interact with its going to be difficult to fulfill any of her objectives. Everyone else at her location is in a vastly different role. Her only counterparts are on the East Coast and international. She was supposed to fly out to the East Coast to meet her peers and their teams but that has apparently been put on hold.
So this company has no clients? I doubt that.
How can she find out who the current clients are? Who the 10 most important are and the key people on those accounts? Which clients might need a little extra love that aren't in the top 10? What was her client-facing team supposed to do - sell, service, support, consult, what? Can any of those actions happen?
Who's within driving distance for her now? Who can she go meet with locally?
Can she videoconference or teleconference with her East Coast peers? Can she get an hour of each of their time to brief on current status and strategies? What clients might be amenable to a videoconference?

I'd expect my six-figure employees to be somewhat self-starting.

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:21 am

As others have said quitting immediately does nothing useful. Keep gathering the income and if they layoff as suspected file unemployment or depending on the position negotiate a severance package based on the fact they were inept morons as far as planning goes. Meanwhile fire up the job search again.

Emotionally it sounds like the best course is for her to come up with a plan. That should help with uncertainty angst. This is obviously a let down and a big disruption so of course it isn't fun. But forming a plan - e.g. milk the current barrel of idiots for as much money as possible while they burn down and simultaneously find a better position - can help. And as others stated - it is still possible that new position might be within this company but at this point I'd assume not...

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:29 am

Sockpuppet wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 am
8foot7 wrote:

She should start looking whilst waiting to see what happens. Probably she gets severance. Maybe she just leaves (for another role).

I would not recommend resigning unless they offer a package. Let them terminate her.

The main thing is to get looking *now*. Every reasonable recruiter will recognize this situation - of a situation when you arrive totally different from the one you were hired for.

Perhaps there is also the possibility of another role within this organization but I would not count on it.

Main thing is to be proactive - going back to her contacts, explaining the situation (honestly), seeing if there are opportunities.

I can tell you of a case in London where an executive joined a financial services firm for *one week*, realized he had made a mistake and went back to another firm which was also interviewing him and asked them to reconsider his application. 15+ years later he is very successful at that second firm.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 am

leeks wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 am
JediMisty wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:08 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sockpuppet wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:

Couldn't be more clear.
+1
+1
Don't quit now - wait until she gets a new position (or for the layoff if it comes first). And try to have an open mind the rest of the week in case there is some surprising turnaround. But start looking and contacting network immediately.
+1 do not quit now.

I would give very low or zero percentage chance of a turnaround unless a senior person "rescues" the OP's wife - steps in and offers her an alternate role of commensurate attractiveness.

It's simply a place that serves as a (paid) resting place whilst OP's wife looks for a new job.

And be ready for some flunky from HR to pull you into a room then walk you out of the building. Managers hate doing that, if they can get HR to do it. So have nothing at your desk or on your person that you cannot afford to lose.

(I had a friend who worked security in Florida. Apparently an armed security officer was always nearby, on call, in such situations).

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 am

Sockpuppet wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:11 am
So my wife just started a new job paying in the low six figures at a multinational Corp and by the end of her first hour she wanted to quit.
Her first few minutes at work began with with her new boss who told her that they had just announced a restructuring plan and that a hiring freeze had put in place. She had been hired to build up a new 14-person team but that was on hold for at least the next 6 months and we’re “going to need to figure out what to do with you.” In addition, one of her main reasons for coming to this job was reimbursement for her education but due to the restructuring he said he wasn’t sure if the company would be able to reimburse her schooling now. He then left never to be seen again that day.
She was then placed at a shared table which she was told was her permanent workspace with three others and provided no computer. When she asked for a computer the IT manager gruffed “you weren’t supposed to be here” and stormed away only to come back with a five year old desktop that she had to install herself.
People at her shared table never spoke to her and she left convinced her new position is slated for elimination in the restructuring as she has “manager” in her title but no one to manage or the ability to hire people.
I’m kind of blown away by all this. I’ve told her I’ll support her whatever she wants to do. We have the financial means to survive her being out of work for an extended time (though it wouldn’t be fun).
But what’s the smart move here? I did tell her it was only 1 day...but I have to admit this doesn’t sound good. Particularly being told that her education might not be reimbursed now when that was one of the main selling points for coming here (they really made a big deal during the interview process about this and she made clear this was very important to her).
Wow! What a "scenario"!!!

I would urge her to stick it out for a while. After all, sounds like she is being well compensated - short term at least. They may be treating her like this so that she will quit - and their messy problem is solved. Check the paperwork on the promise of educational benefits - are they "standard" for the company or special for her? Certainly, behind the scenes, look for alternative long ter employment.

I know the urge to quit under difficult employment circumstances - been there (not with new job, though). With 20/20 hindsight, I made several mistakes by quitting too soon myself.

ad2007

Post by ad2007 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:43 am

I would not quit (free money for the moment) but definitely start the job search. How about the job she left, would they take her back?
But she accepted this job for a reason, there's potential. Things change quickly. Restructuring is stressful for just about everyone there right now, even the person/team slated to hand out walking papers.

I worked for a fairly large company which eventually got bought out by a Fortune 500 firm. I remember whenever a buyout rumor would begin to circulate, people would totally freak out, act all crazy. This cycle occurred a few times. The buyout eventually happened while I was there, but I soon left because of the culture change. Yes, plenty of people were let go, it sucked for everyone.

In the meantime, she has the easiest job in the world. Good money, no responsibility. I'd take the job right now.

Ignore the new freaked out co-workers. Wait and see.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:44 am

Some comments, don't take this as criticism:

1. Poor job search and job negotiation. You need to ensure that these type of problems don't arise *BEFORE* you start the new job. To do so, you request to meet as much of the new team as possible, meet boss's boss, etc,

2. Go back to the old job.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:45 am

ad2007 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:43 am
In the meantime, she has the easiest job in the world. Good money, no responsibility. I'd take the job right now.
That's great, if it also came with a 5-6 year job guarantee, and a way to avoid the nasty environment.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:50 am

Has anyone here actually worked for a MegaCorp?

What is being described here is what I would expect from a 100 person startup, not anywhere that could be properly described as a “MegaCorp”.

The point of working for a MegaCorp is established processes and formal lines of reporting. Take advantage of that structure. She should:

1. Set up a 1:1 with the HRBP and express her concerns.
2. Set up a 1:1 with her manager’s manager to get a sense of where things are headed.
3. Set up 1:1s with everyone else in her team for the same.
4. Read the employee benefits intranet and start taking advantage of everything she is entitled to. Something like tuition reimbursement could be centrally managed & approved, bypassing her manager.
Last edited by HEDGEFUNDIE on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:51 am

AlphaLess wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:45 am
ad2007 wrote:
That's great, if it also came with a 5-6 year job guarantee, and a way to avoid the nasty environment.
The days never end in a job where there's nothing to do. Arrive, get coffee, sit down, and it's only 8:10. "Now what do I do?"

It's maddening.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 am

OP. Can you tell us about day 2.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 am

ad2007 wrote:
I would not quit (free money for the moment) but definitely start the job search. How about the job she left, would they take her back?
But she accepted this job for a reason, there's potential. Things change quickly. Restructuring is stressful for just about everyone there right now, even the person/team slated to hand out walking papers.
I worked for a fairly large company which eventually got bought out by a Fortune 500 firm. I remember whenever a buyout rumor would begin to circulate, people would totally freak out, act all crazy. This cycle occurred a few times. The buyout eventually happened while I was there, but I soon left because of the culture change. Yes, plenty of people were let go, it sucked for everyone.

Ignore the new freaked out co-workers. Wait and see.
Yes!

Years ago, when I worked in IT for a MegaCorp, they planned a transfer of folks from another location to my location - and build up a group. Then, at the last minute, MegaCorp changed plans - and cancelled the buildup of the group. One guy was actually transferred - and showed up. It worked out fine - he was reassigned to a very good alternate position at the location.

Your wife's situation sounds like an episode of Seinfeld - where George gets a job - and they want him to quit - but he refuses.

Topic Author
Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:01 am

AlphaLess wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:44 am
Some comments, don't take this as criticism:

1. Poor job search and job negotiation. You need to ensure that these type of problems don't arise *BEFORE* you start the new job. To do so, you request to meet as much of the new team as possible, meet boss's boss, etc,

2. Go back to the old job.
Off topic comment removed by Moderator Jbranx. She interviewed with 8 different people separately over the course of 2 months. Had visited the location multiple times. Read reviews of employee on Glassdoor and looked up the publicly available info on the company. So...I feel there’s not much more she could have done.