Newlyweds considering moving to NYC...advice and insight appreciated.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Newlyweds considering moving to NYC...advice and insight appreciated.

Post by Bob Sacamano » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:22 pm

wife and i currently considering moving to UES, NYC. close enough to the train for me and quiet enough that my wife can find parking (albeit at rather off hours). i have been told by colleagues that street parking is possible in certain parts of the UES and that is where we would be focusing our search.

right now we both work and live in Westchester. that may change for me, likely not for my wife. but as mentioned she works early ~730-3. many of my colleagues live in various parts of the city - most take the Metro North and find it relatively convenient.

from a financial perspective we make a combined income of ~$235K and i have a higher ceiling that she does - esp. with proximity to the city. we have no debt and currently pay $2000/mo. for an apartment in Westchester that we are not particularly fond of.

thanks.

Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Newlyweds considering moving to NYC...advice and insight appreciated.

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:44 pm

What is your rent budget for UES? You can find parking, maybe, in good weather. Good luck when it snows.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

leeks

Post by leeks » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:49 pm

If you want a car in the upper east side you should rent a parking space and consider that part of the housing expense when you compate options. Or better to just ditch the car completely and rent one when you need it.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:58 pm

I lived on East 89th 20+ years ago and parking was no fun back then. I live downtown now and have a parking spot.
It used to be fairly easy near Sty Town to park -- that changed after 9/11.

Where are you planning to live. Far enough North, parking is easier. I drive to friends above 96th street
(108th street) and have a relatively easy time parking. For friends in the 60's; I take a Lyft or Bus.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:00 pm

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're too poor to be able to live well in Upper East Side, car or no car. 90% of people who live in NY City only do so because of their job location. If you work in Westchester, you do not have to live in the city.

Your car will be a liability in the city. You'll pay $400 a month for parking (which will be valet), and use your car once a month. Otherwise, you'll spend too much time finding street parking and pay a lot of parking tickets for when you forget about street cleaning.

As a NYC resident, the fact that you are thinking of doing this seems utterly bizarre.

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Look in Hamilton Heights.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

ImmigrantSaver

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:42 pm

It's doable if you don't need a doorman building. Keep rent+parking at no more than 3K and you'll be fine. Once you have kids, then it's a different story :D

lassevirensghost

Post by lassevirensghost » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 pm

We lived in Jackson Heights and loved it. Not bad getting into Midtown. But not for everyone; sounds like it might not mix with your desires.
“Groucho, how do you invest your money?” | “All in bonds.” | “But Groucho, they don’t pay much return.” | “They do when you have a lot of em!”

leeks

Post by leeks » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:28 pm

They work in Westchester, both commuting from Jackson Heights to Westchester would just be silly.

But if they switch jobs, yes consider Western Queens but please *rent a parking space* if you insist on having a car so I don't have to hear another driver complain that cyclists are to blame for limited street parking.

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:45 pm

ohai wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:00 pm
Don't take this the wrong way, but you're too poor to be able to live well in Upper East Side, car or no car. 90% of people who live in NY City only do so because of their job location. If you work in Westchester, you do not have to live in the city.

Your car will be a liability in the city. You'll pay $400 a month for parking (which will be valet), and use your car once a month. Otherwise, you'll spend too much time finding street parking and pay a lot of parking tickets for when you forget about street cleaning.

As a NYC resident, the fact that you are thinking of doing this seems utterly bizarre.
you find it bizarre that a young, active couple might see an appeal to living in NYC?

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Be mindful to tack on an extra (just shy of) 4% for NYC resident income tax if you move into the city. Because of that, and for the added space you can get in the suburbs, I'd advise moving to a better part of Westchester. But take my advice with a grain of salt - I'm married w/children and boring.

Cycle37

Post by Cycle37 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:23 am

Consider Battery Park City. My son and wife just moved there with same financials. Quiet, family-focused, near all subways, decent parking garage rates, fresh air (yes), Trader Joes, rent for nice 1 BR is $3400 overlooking harbor. They both work downtown. But...wife/me pay $50 for tolls, parking, gas etc. from NJ shore to visit!

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:44 am

My fiancee's apartment is on 5th Avenue near the upper end of Central Park. Parking is not bad when I drive there from MA, which is usually Friday afternoon, and I can leave my car until Monday (or Tuesday) morning on the street. HOWEVER....

She also owns a car, and works Mon-Fri. She virtually never uses her car to commute, preferring to take the train (2-3 or 4-5-6, depending on where she needs to go- both are about a 7 minute walk). It's too much of a hassle finding parking and it's easy to accumulate loads of tickets if you are not compulsive about moving your car in time. Lots are expensive. She has a friend who lives in the Bronx and needs a car to commute to NJ daily, so she lends him her car during the week in return for parking/gas etc. Where her friend lives, parking is supposedly easier. He brings it to her when she drives up to where I live in MA on weekends and picks it up from her when she returns.

Where her place is considered E. Harlem, not the UES. When you get south of 96th St., parking gets much more difficult (according to my fiancee). The subway is pretty simple and the express trains can get you to midtown or downtown quite rapidly. The subways are not fun, but neither is getting stuck in traffic, which can often take a lot more time. (An aside....on four occasions, I raced my fiancee to various Manhattan locations- she took the city bus and I walked at my normal pace, which is about 10 blocks in 9 minutes including stopping for lights and traffic. On all four occasions I beat her to our destination.)

The New York City lifestyle and the suburban lifestyle are so different....like night and day. One man's meat is another man's poison. As per posts above, if you love the NYC vibe, you probably hate the suburbs, and vice versa. So decide where you want to live, and then make it work for you.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

flarf

Post by flarf » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 am

If one of you will be commuting on Metro-North and you want to live on the UES, then I'd suggest focusing your search around 86th and Lex so you have an express subway to 125th Street.

I'll be the 10th person to suggest ditching the car if at all possible.

There's always the East Harlem value play too -- then you can just walk to 125th/Lex and get Metro-North there. Obviously a different vibe than 86th/Lex though.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:02 am

flarf wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 am
If one of you will be commuting on Metro-North and you want to live on the UES, then I'd suggest focusing your search around 86th and Lex so you have an express subway to 125th Street.

There's always the East Harlem value play too -- then you can just walk to 125th/Lex and get Metro-North there. Obviously a different vibe than 86th/Lex though.
My humble opinion...if you are looking around 86th, if you consider around Third Avenue in the UES. I like 3d Ave . The best ethnic restaurants and practical shops on the UES seem to be centered around 2nd, 3rd and Lex (groceries, hardware, etc- as opposed to designer clothes and jewelry for your 5 year old). I think there are also subways on 2nd and on Lex.

rh00p

Post by rh00p » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:42 am

Like Obamacare, NYC's new Congestion Pricing plan has been approved with few details made available. But I'll bet you residents in the upper nabes will be fighting for parking more than ever with commuters ditching their cars uptown.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Enjoy...NY is a fun place to live and work.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

beyou

Post by beyou » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:16 pm

rh00p wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:42 am
Like Obamacare, NYC's new Congestion Pricing plan has been approved with few details made available. But I'll bet you residents in the upper nabes will be fighting for parking more than ever with commuters ditching their cars uptown.
They are considering neighborhood resident parking regulations for just that reason. Keep out the riff raff.

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:09 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:02 am
flarf wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 am

My humble opinion...if you are looking around 86th, if you consider around Third Avenue in the UES. I like 3d Ave . The best ethnic restaurants and practical shops on the UES seem to be centered around 2nd, 3rd and Lex (groceries, hardware, etc- as opposed to designer clothes and jewelry for your 5 year old). I think there are also subways on 2nd and on Lex.
thanks both. i guess the car situation is a big issue. moreso because my wife's lease is up in a month and she was about to purchase a new one.

we'll need to decide if living anywhere in the city makes ANY sense at all - both from a lifestyle and a financial standpoint.

essentially it boils down to this:

1. she will NEED to commute to White Plains daily (whether that's by car or public transit - though i know she doesn't love subway)

1. b) we are planning to try and have a baby within the next few months - her parents in White Plains will be happy to watch them. she could drop them off in the mornings and pick them up in the afternoons easier with a vehicle.

2. i will need to commute to Tarrytown daily (but i have no issue whatsoever with trains - maybe we could take a subway together)

3. my commute to Tarrytown will be finite, her commute to White Plains will not be

leeks

Post by leeks » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:26 am

Baby changes that question a lot. I would stay close to the parents and your commutes, in whatever walkable/urbanish part of Westchester is nearby, there must be some neighborhood that is a little more interesting than wherever you live now. You will want them to be able to babysit some evenings, etc. You also may want them to watch the baby in your home sometimes as opposed to parents house. I'm so jealous of friends whose parents are available to easily watch their children, please plan logistics to ensure you can take advantage of that!

But you could do a six-month sublet or one-year lease on upper east side thinking it is just a fun temporary thing to enjoy a brief time in the city before life-as-a-parent begins. But try to avoid a broker fee if it is unlikely to be a long-term home.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:30 am

Bob

I think you should consider North Bronx if you desire to be in NYC.

If you want hipster action LIC, Astoria, Williamsburg or parts of Brooklyn with coop apartments.

The trade off compared to Westchester county is NYC has lower school property taxes and in the city the property taxes does not have school tax, outside the city it is calculated differently.

If your parents, friends and her job are between Tarrytown and White Plains you may want to consider more northerly location as you mentioned in another post, that you like the outdoors.

I am in the LES and live in coop, I waited 10 years for my coop parking space. Also I own 89 acres upstate and visit my vacation property when I have free time.

Best of luck.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:38 am

Personally, I would move near your wife's White Plains job absolutely. It would take a lot of stress off of her because, even in reverse mode, driving in and out of NYC can be a nightmare. Keeping the stress level low I believe is the number one priority.
And it's nice up there, a very pleasant place to live. Get a nice car or two and enjoy life.

It's a privilege these days to have a nice job in the NY suburbs since most of the jobs have gone back to the city where you have to deal with terrible commuting and extremely high housing prices.

Most people *have* to put up with going into the city to work. You are lucky that one of you does not have to.

You are in a great situation with a secure suburban job. I wouldn't even think about the car-issue. Cars are good, reliable, and cheap these days.
So is gas. No energy shortage on the horizon and there is still a nice oil glut as far as the eye can see. Take advantage of the cheap oil and the good cars.

WS1

Post by WS1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:04 pm

Oooh I love these questions

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE LIVING SOMEWHERE TRULY WALKABLE. I live in Brooklyn and did part time on the UES for a few years prior to that. Do it, love it, and if it stops working for you move upriver. Don’t forget there are some crushingly charming, walkable Hudson river towns.

Now for the timely stuff

If you can’t rent a parking spot do not keep the car. I spent most 2010 – 2012 weekends on the Upper East Side. Looking for parking on Friday evening was not pleasant and looking for parking 5 days a week is not something I’d voluntarily do. I’m not some hayseed that “just doesn’t get NYC”, I have a car in Brooklyn that I use to commute M-F.

If things are in-flux, look at picking up a short term lease from a site like Lease Trader when your current car lease ends. This will at least buy you some time to delay the commitment of leasing or purchasing a new car. Also do an honest cost comparison of total car costs and metro north + subway. If ditching the car and taking the train will only save you a small amount of money, I’d consider keeping the car and skipping the train because a car is useful if you take certain types of trips frequently enough.

There is being near the parents and “being near the parents”. We (and I guess the kids) are doing fine with grandparents being in the 30-60 min range, but many folks really need them closer. Childcare decisions will complicate this as infant daycare is expensive as hell. 5 day a week at my place in Brooklyn for a 6-12 month old is about $2100, and you need to be mindful of their hours. If you won’t need daycare until 24 months from now, don’t rush to set-up your life for that future and miss out on some good stuff. According to the misses, having interesting places to walk for hours a day was what kept her sane those first 6 months. She’s also now intimately acquainted with every coffee, pizza, and bagel shop within 3 miles of the apartment.

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:38 am
Personally, I would move near your wife's White Plains job absolutely. It would take a lot of stress off of her because, even in reverse mode, driving in and out of NYC can be a nightmare. Keeping the stress level low I believe is the number one priority.
And it's nice up there, a very pleasant place to live. Get a nice car or two and enjoy life.

It's a privilege these days to have a nice job in the NY suburbs since most of the jobs have gone back to the city where you have to deal with terrible commuting and extremely high housing prices.

Most people *have* to put up with going into the city to work. You are lucky that one of you does not have to.

You are in a great situation with a secure suburban job. I wouldn't even think about the car-issue. Cars are good, reliable, and cheap these days.
So is gas. No energy shortage on the horizon and there is still a nice oil glut as far as the eye can see. Take advantage of the cheap oil and the good cars.
i live in White Plains now. it's not nice. it's boring, suburban hell in my opinion. the only thing keep her or us here are her parents and job. which is why i am hoping to find a happy medium. sure, there are "better" Westchester towns but it's very expensive and i don't see any value add other than a shorter commute - which may very well change if/when i get a job in Manhattan proper.

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Maybe we're thinking about this the wrong way. In your current situation, everything says to stay up in Westchester, near White Plains, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want. If that's the case, I'd focus on finding a job in Manhattan as well, which hopefully pays more.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:52 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:30 am
Bob

If you want hipster action LIC, Astoria, Williamsburg or parts of Brooklyn with coop apartments.

The trade off compared to Westchester county is NYC has lower school property taxes and in the city the property taxes does not have school tax, outside the city it is calculated differently.

If your parents, friends and her job are between Tarrytown and White Plains you may want to consider more northerly location as you mentioned in another post, that you like the outdoors.

I am in the LES and live in coop, I waited 10 years for my coop parking space. Also I own 89 acres upstate and visit my vacation property when I have free time.

Best of luck.
NYC school taxes are subsidized by the large commercial base, and all kinds of other stealth taxes and fees. Next time you get a $75 parking ticket for an expired meter, you'll know what I'm talking about. Ever look at your phone bill? Total up the fees and taxes on that, find out it's nearly 20-25% additional taxes which look like they are assigned to a specific use, look carefully that's not what happens in Albany though - the money is put into the general fund. Albany gets it - money is fungible.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:52 pm

NYC school taxes are subsidized by the large commercial base, and all kinds of other stealth taxes and fees. Next time you get a $75 parking ticket for an expired meter, you'll know what I'm talking about. Ever look at your phone bill? Total up the fees and taxes on that, find out it's nearly 20-25% additional taxes which look like they are assigned to a specific use, look carefully that's not what happens in Albany though - the money is put into the general fund. Albany gets it - money is fungible.
Greatoutdoors, while I don't disagree with you about parking ticket, yes I got one recently at the Boglehead NYC meeting in March, it was $65, I would leave it up to Bob, to define what his needs are.

Whats good about this discussion, and what Bob has not defined for us, it he appears trapped by his location in White Plains, I think Bob needs to discuss with his significant other and see how they can work through his marriage and career and decide ultimately where they would land.

They are still young, a Gen-xer and possibly a Millennial, we would hope Bob defines what he wants about NYC and or elsewhere which gives him the itch to move.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:16 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 pm

i live in White Plains now. it's not nice. it's boring, suburban hell in my opinion. the only thing keep her or us here are her parents and job. which is why i am hoping to find a happy medium. sure, there are "better" Westchester towns but it's very expensive and i don't see any value add other than a shorter commute - which may very well change if/when i get a job in Manhattan proper.
Bob you need to spell out what you like about Manhattan and its allure, since you did not discuss this, I think it would enlighten the sounding board (BHers) so we can best assist.

Explain what is suburbs you don't like, if children is in the picture, you won't have time to worry about how boring the neighborhood is.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:08 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:30 am
Bob

A friend of mine just bought what they describe as a "very nice" (I haven't seen it) apartment in Riverdale for, I forget, around $150-170K that needed very little work (a "pied-a-terre" for them in retirement). They live near me in W MA.

The issue is that it is a long ride on public transportation to Midtown or Downtown...not much fun in inclement weather. I drive to Manhattan every weekend or two from where I live in MA in 2 1/2 hours most of the time. It takes them at least half that to take subways to Midtown or Downtown from Riverdale. And there is the hassle factor of property ownership. So I don't really see the allure. But again, chacun a son gout.

lynneny

Post by lynneny » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:35 pm

I'd vote for Riverdale. I lived there for 15 years until late last year. Why Riverdale?

It's an easy drive to White Plains, which it sounds like your wife will be doing a lot.

If your job moves to Manhattan, you can jump on Metro North and be in midtown/Grand Central in 25 minutes. It's comfortable to work on the train, and you always get a seat (so unlike the subway). And you can go into Manhattan for restaurants, theatre, visiting friends, etc.

Very affordable, even if you rent a parking space too. You can definitely afford to rent a lovely two or three-bedroom apartment with a parking space, terrace and river view in Riverdale.

It sounds like you're too young and interested in city life to be stuck in Westchester. Plenty of time for that in a few years when you need more space and are thinking about schools (altho Riverdale has great schools). Since you're renting, you have the flexibility to live in a part of town you find interesting now for a few years, and then move as your needs change.

Over the last few years, most of my new neighbors in Riverdale were either moving down from Westchester in search of a more exciting life closer to the city, or up from Manhattan and Brooklyn because they were priced out.

I would miss Riverdale a lot, but I moved to Mexico!

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:33 pm

lynneny wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:35 pm
I'd vote for Riverdale. I lived there for 15 years until late last year. Why Riverdale?

It's an easy drive to White Plains, which it sounds like your wife will be doing a lot.

If your job moves to Manhattan, you can jump on Metro North and be in midtown/Grand Central in 25 minutes. It's comfortable to work on the train, and you always get a seat (so unlike the subway). And you can go into Manhattan for restaurants, theatre, visiting friends, etc.

Very affordable, even if you rent a parking space too. You can definitely afford to rent a lovely two or three-bedroom apartment with a parking space, terrace and river view in Riverdale.

It sounds like you're too young and interested in city life to be stuck in Westchester. Plenty of time for that in a few years when you need more space and are thinking about schools (altho Riverdale has great schools). Since you're renting, you have the flexibility to live in a part of town you find interesting now for a few years, and then move as your needs change.

Over the last few years, most of my new neighbors in Riverdale were either moving down from Westchester in search of a more exciting life closer to the city, or up from Manhattan and Brooklyn because they were priced out.

thanks. i've heard good and bad about Riverdale. something about a lot of hills and maybe the closer to the train the more seedy it gets? i forget off hand but it always seemed like a pretty cool little place.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:39 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:33 pm

thanks. i've heard good and bad about Riverdale. something about a lot of hills and maybe the closer to the train the more seedy it gets? i forget off hand but it always seemed like a pretty cool little place.
Bob you are referring to Kingsbridge, actually there is a large "Limited Equity Coop" called Amalgamated https://www.amalgamated-bronx.coop/

While it is true the number 4 train goes through Broadway, the Bronx in general have a higher poverty rate than the rest of the city, I concur Riverdale is where the higher income residents reside.

When you get a chance please take the time to answer the question why do you desire Manhattan? There are seedy areas in Manhattan as well.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:24 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:33 pm
lynneny wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:35 pm

I may not be the best person to ask (since I don't live there- I live part-time in E Harlem), but I view Riverdale (and other places on the outer fringes of the city) as the worst of both worlds (city life and suburbia). Still a long haul from the "cultural centers" of NYC that make you want to be there, yet with the same hassles of NYC living. I wouldn't worry about "seediness", unless you are particularly sensitive to that sort of thing, in which case you would probably prefer Westchester anyway.
Last edited by protagonist on Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:05 pm

My sense of this is that moving into New York is a very bad idea.

All you really have in life is your time. Moving to NYC in your current work circumstance is going to use up quite a bit of your most scarce resource, and it will also consume quite a bit of your income as well. The way to evaluate your "incremental" commute is to express it as a fraction of your current free time. Often, that number comes in at well over 100%.

Being near your in-laws (under 20 minutes.....not under 70 minutes) is quite valuable to you based on what you've discussed. My 2 cents.

Good luck.

bdpb

Post by bdpb » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:41 pm

If you live in the city, your commutes could add an hour plus each way on top of 9 hour work days meaning you may not have a lot of free time to enjoy the city except for weekends.

Why not live close to jobs for extra daily free time and spend the weekends in the city. Schedule every Saturday night at a hotel and spend the weekends in the city. If you cut it down to three Saturdays a month your costs of rent in the suburbs plus Saturday hotels may be no more than rent in the city.

Pick different hotels and you can effectively live in different parts of the city all year round.

BrendanP

Post by BrendanP » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:08 pm

I love living in NYC (specifically Harlem), but doing 2 reverse commutes, a baby in the nearish-term, and not having a parking spot just seems like an awful combination.

Stick5vw

Post by Stick5vw » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:07 pm

I agree with the above - while living in the city has its advantages, this move will make your commute worse, presumably cost you more money each month (sorry if I missed a discussion on your financials), and result in less living space when you’ve got a baby on the way. You will be exhausted once you have the baby so will really want that short commute, believe me.

Everyone I know in NYC with kids, even those who own their apartments and who work in the city, are looking to get out. Their kids are climbing up the walls of their small apartments. Once you need to pay for daycare and/or school there is a good chance you’ll be looking to leave too.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:14 am

Stick5vw wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:07 pm

Everyone I know in NYC with kids, even those who own their apartments and who work in the city, are looking to get out. Their kids are climbing up the walls of their small apartments. Once you need to pay for daycare and/or school there is a good chance you’ll be looking to leave too.
Sample size of one....my fiancee's daughter loved growing up in the city. She got into a very good school by lottery. And my fiancee, who grew up in Long Island, would never want to go back there.

The point is....different strokes, different folks.

Stick5vw

Post by Stick5vw » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:47 am

protagonist wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:14 am
Stick5vw wrote:

Sample size of one....my fiancee's daughter loved growing up in the city. She got into a very good school by lottery. And my fiancee, who grew up in Long Island, would never want to go back there.

What might they have done if they didn’t get into the very good school by lottery? Good for them (that is truly a game changer) but I suspect their thinking might have been different if they were stuck with few decent options for school. And no one said they had to go back to Long Island ;-)

morbo

Post by morbo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:09 am

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 pm
i live in White Plains now. it's not nice. it's boring, suburban hell in my opinion.
If you think White Plains is boring (and I don't disagree with your assessment), don't live in Riverdale as another suggested. I lived in Riverdale for two boring years. It's even more boring than the suburbs, but without any of the things that people like about the suburbs. On top of that, you can feel very cut off from the city, all while paying NYC income tax.

If you want to live in Manhattan, go for it, and do it while you're young. It's not the cheapest decision, but that's not the point. And many people raise children in the city. If anything, it's easier when they're young.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 am

Stick5vw wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:47 am
protagonist wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:14 am
Stick5vw wrote:

What might they have done if they didn’t get into the very good school by lottery? Good for them (that is truly a game changer) but I suspect their thinking might have been different if they were stuck with few decent options for school. And no one said they had to go back to Long Island ;-)
Possibly, though she may well have qualified for a scholarship at a private school as well. The point is that there are, in fact, many families with kids growing up in the city who are happy with the arrangement, as well as the ones who "are looking to get out". And they find ways to make it work. There are people who are happy living in a cabin in the woods in rural Vermont and others who would never live north of Florida and others whose dream is to live in NYC or Kathmandu. One size does not fit all, and if this couple really wants to live in NYC, they will probably find a way to make it work. And if it doesn't they will leave.

It's not constructive to tell them that NYC is a miserable place to live just because it might be for you. Many people love it. I wouldn't particularly want to live there either- I am there a third of the time more or less and I grew up there as a young child- but that's just me. As a teenager I think I would have been MUCH happier if we stayed in the city than I was when we moved to the suburbs. And that said, there are many other places I would find much worse than NYC.

ahnathan

Post by ahnathan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:30 am

As someone who lives UES, can I ask, why there? There are plenty more happening places to live in Manhattan than here for a young couple moving to the city.

I agree with a few posters above that counting in street parking will become cumbersome.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:52 am

Our daughter lives on the Upper East Side (around 78th and 3rd I believe). She pays around $2600 for a 6th floor WALKUP that can't be more than 300 square feet. The only bright spot is that there is an empty floor above her so noise is limited - I guess once you hit 7 floors elevators are required. Anyway, I shudder to think what a decent apartment there would run.

I do like the area though. I would love to live in NYC if I was a fat cat.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:11 am

abner kravitz wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:52 am
Our daughter lives on the Upper East Side (around 78th and 3rd I believe). She pays around $2600 for a 6th floor WALKUP that can't be more than 300 square feet.
Maybe, but she lives right up the street from Two Little Red Hens bakery. I imagine, on that basis alone, people would die for that apartment.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 am

protagonist wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:11 am
abner kravitz wrote:
Our daughter lives on the Upper East Side (around 78th and 3rd I believe). She pays around $2600 for a 6th floor WALKUP that can't be more than 300 square feet.
Maybe, but she lives right up the street from Two Little Red Hens bakery. I imagine, on that basis alone, people would die for that apartment.
Oops. My mistake. TLRH bakery is on 2nd, not 3d. But you get my point..... One man's meat is another man's poison.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:19 am

protagonist wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 am
protagonist wrote:
abner kravitz wrote:
Oops. My mistake. TLRH bakery is on 2nd, not 3d. But you get my point..... One man's meat is another man's poison.
Thanks, I'll check out that bakery next visit. I love a good bakery.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:32 pm

abner kravitz wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:19 am
protagonist wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 am
protagonist wrote:
abner kravitz wrote:
Thanks, I'll check out that bakery next visit. I love a good bakery.
They specialize in cupcakes. Not my favorite form of baked goods, but these are REALLY good cupcakes. Great cheesecake too. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... _York.html
Expect a line.

ImmigrantSaver

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:58 pm

abner kravitz wrote:
Our daughter lives on the Upper East Side (around 78th and 3rd I believe). She pays around $2600 for a 6th floor WALKUP that can't be more than 300 square feet. The only bright spot is that there is an empty floor above her so noise is limited - I guess once you hit 7 floors elevators are required. Anyway, I shudder to think what a decent apartment there would run.

Honestly, her rent seem a bit high for the 6th floor walk up.. It's possible to find an elevator building for that or even less. For example I'd vouch to say the place below is at least 450sf. Just for comparison.

https://streeteasy.com/rental/2602931

UES is not too terrible compared to the rest of Manhattan:)

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:28 pm

leeks wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:49 pm
If you want a car in the upper east side you should rent a parking space and consider that part of the housing expense when you compate options. Or better to just ditch the car completely and rent one when you need it.
Don’t even bother with a car in NYC. You won’t need it as the mass transit is great. Aside from that you will spend a fortune for a place to park the car. One of our kids has lived there for several years and a car is simply unnecessary.

NYC is a really expensive place to live. Be prepared for ridiculously high rents for an underwhelming apartment. The crowds, the noise, the traffic, and the garbage don’t sit well with me, but the younger generation seems to love the city in spite of it all...

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 am

ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:58 pm
abner kravitz wrote:

Honestly, her rent seem a bit high for the 6th floor walk up.. It's possible to find an elevator building for that or even less. For example I'd vouch to say the place below is at least 450sf. Just for comparison.

https://streeteasy.com/rental/2602931

UES is not too terrible compared to the rest of Manhattan:)

I agree, it seems high to me too. It is 2 bedrooms, but unbelievably tiny. You can almost touch the kitchen sink when you are sitting on the living room sofa. She is in the process of looking for a new place now, I'll send her your link - thanks