Taxes (NY) - Non Resident

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
cachemoney

Taxes (NY) - Non Resident

Post by cachemoney » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:48 pm

If I have about $1,000 NY income and paid $20 in NY taxes, while I reside in another state, do I need to file NY tax return?

I do not think I am required to file NY taxes since I earned less than the $8,000 standard deduction per this page. https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/nonresidents.htm

Code: Select all

You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction. 

livesoft

Re: Taxes (NY) - Non Resident

Post by livesoft » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:57 pm

I have a small amount of NY source income every year and I have filed NY non-resident taxes practically forever. I always contribute ALL my NY income to my 401(k) plan, so I never pay NY state income taxes. I am not an accountant, but in your situation I would file a NY state non-resident return just to see how it works and to get that refund of $20. :)

But I also want to see what other response are.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:25 am

NY nonresident form is very particular about the number of days you worked in NY.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:47 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:57 pm
I am not an accountant, but in your situation I would file a NY state non-resident return just to see how it works and to get that refund of $20. :)
Agreed. To the OP: don't let NY keep a nickel of your money. Take the $20 bill and burn it if you'd like, but don't let them keep it.

(Note: I paid NY over $4000 in 2018 as a non-resident.)
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:09 am

samsoes wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:47 am
livesoft wrote:
I am not an accountant, but in your situation I would file a NY state non-resident return just to see how it works and to get that refund of $20. :)
Agreed. To the OP: don't let NY keep a nickel of your money. Take the $20 bill and burn it if you'd like, but don't let them keep it.

Cost of an extra state return in tax software is probably around $20.

Of course, for free the OP could just fill out the IT-203 nonresident NY tax form PDF manually. Here are the 68 pages of instructions. Since OP is presumably not already familiar with NY´s many quirks (even more numerous on nonresident returns than resident returns), I predict savings from the manual approach will net the OP substantially less than the minimum wage for the time spent.

clemrick

Post by clemrick » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:04 am

I have read that New York, state and city, are stepping up tax enforcement. I would file a non-resident return just to get in their records that you don't owe anything. You never what program they might develop in the future that would include everyone even possibly owing them money.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:31 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:09 am
samsoes wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:47 am
livesoft wrote:

Cost of an extra state return in tax software is probably around $20.

Of course, for free the OP could just fill out the IT-203 nonresident NY tax form PDF manually. Here are the 68 pages of instructions. Since OP is presumably not already familiar with NY´s many quirks (even more numerous on nonresident returns than resident returns), I predict savings from the manual approach will net the OP substantially less than the minimum wage for the time spent.
As long as NY doesn't get to keep the money, it's worth the time and cost, IMO.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:01 am

cachemoney wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:48 pm
If I have about $1,000 NY income and paid $20 in NY taxes, while I reside in another state, do I need to file NY tax return?

I do not think I am required to file NY taxes since I earned less than the $8,000 standard deduction per this page. https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/nonresidents.htm

Code: Select all

You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction. 
Your NY adjusted gross income is the total adjusted gross income under NY tax law (thus, for example, excluding Treasury bond interest), independent of where you earned it. If you earned more than that, and you have one dollar of NY source income, you must file a NY tax return.

The reason for this rule is the way NY computes non-resident taxes; most states use a similar procedure. You compute the NY tax on your total income, and then multiply this tax by the fraction of your income with a source in NY. For example, if you earned $100K during the year and $1K in NY, and the NY tax on $100K income would be $5000, you owe $50 in NY tax.
Wiki David Grabiner

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:05 am

ccieemeritus wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:25 am
NY nonresident form is very particular about the number of days you worked in NY.
This is for a specific purpose. If you worked at the same job partly inside and partly outside NY, your NY source income is usually calculated by prorating the days. In contrast, if you worked in NY for Job A and outside NY for Job B, you do not prorate by days; your Job A income is taxed to NY and your Job B income is not.
Wiki David Grabiner