Mysterious SSA deposit in my Vanguard Account

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
pasadena

Mysterious SSA deposit in my Vanguard Account

Post by pasadena » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi Bogleheads,

I need your help. Since last month, I have received two mysterious cash deposits in my Vanguard brokerage.

Both are for the same amount ($816) and both have the description "SSA TREAS 310 - Fidelity". The first one came on 02/27, and the second one on 03/27.

I have accounts at Fidelity (401(k) and personal HSA).

I contacted both of them. Vanguard said "all we can tell you is that it's coming from Fidelity" (I guess just based on the description). Fidelity said "Nah, we can't see any transfer from your account, check on the NetBenefits side". I did check on my NetBenefits account and didn't see anything. I contacted my employer but have yet to hear back.

My Vanguard account is not linked to my Fidelity account (I tried to, but Fidelity will only do bank transfers, and VG only accepts direct deposits. They refused the test deposits). That was around the time the first mysterious deposit came.

I also checked my Social Security account, and confirmed that I'm not getting paid any benefits at this time. I'm eligible for disability benefits it needed, but not social security yet. I also never gave them any bank info.

The other banks I have linked to VG are Ally, and my employer. I also used to have my old employer, plus a couple other banks where I don't hold accounts at anymore.

So now I have $1,632 that are not mine, and I have no idea who to turn to.

Any idea?

gokartmozart

Re: Mysterious SSA deposit in my Vanguard Account

Post by gokartmozart » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:02 pm

You did not mention if you have already contacted SSA. Perhaps try that?

$816 is a plausible Social Security monthly benefit. Perhaps someone tried to direct-deposit their SS check to their Vanguard account and the account number got mixed-up by them or by Vanguard.
Last edited by gokartmozart on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:04 pm

I would write to Fidelity, Vanguard and the SSA requesting they identify the transfers as to whether or not they came from them. I would sent the letters with tracking numbers to be able to verify delivery. I would keep the money in an interest bearing account so when someone figures it out at least you get a couple bucks interest money when you have to return it.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:06 pm

pasadena wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:43 pm
Hi Bogleheads,

I need your help. Since last month, I have received two mysterious cash deposits in my Vanguard brokerage.

Both are for the same amount ($816) and both have the description "SSA TREAS 310 - Fidelity". The first one came on 02/27, and the second one on 03/27.
I think the "Fidelity" in the code is red herring: "SSA TREAS 310" is definitely a code for a direct deposit from the Social Security Administration (SSA).
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

Topic Author
pasadena

Post by pasadena » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:13 pm

gokartmozart wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:02 pm
You did not mention if you have already contacted SSA. Perhaps try that?
I sent them an email. I won't be able to go to the SS office for a couple of weeks as I'm traveling, but I will definitely do that when I get back home.
$816 is a plausible Social Security monthly benefit. Perhaps someone tried to direct-deposit their SS check to their Vanguard account and the account number got mixed-up by them or by Vanguard.
That's also what I'm thinking, and I thought Vanguard would be able to get more information from the transaction header, but they were of no help. In the meantime, somebody, somewhere, is not getting their money :(