Tax Question—College Age Daughter

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
cdc

Tax Question—College Age Daughter

Post by cdc » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 pm

I’ve Googled and can’t find a straight answer to what seems like a common situation. We live in Maryland, and my daughter goes to college in Ohio. She earned money in MD last summer and money in OH under her federal work-study. I’m guessing that all her income is reported on her MD taxes. Or would she file as residents of both MD and OH?

bmr12

Re: Tax Question—College Age Daughter

Post by bmr12 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Is she paying in state or out of state tuition in Ohio? [if private, this doesn’t come up]

If she’s out of state in Ohio, then I would claim all of the income in MD. Or vice-versa.

erictiger

Post by erictiger » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:10 pm

If Ohio withheld her tax, then she needs to file Ohio tax return to get the money back.

Topic Author
cdc

Post by cdc » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:18 pm

bmr12 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:06 pm
Is she paying in state or out of state tuition in Ohio? [if private, this doesn’t come up]

If she’s out of state in Ohio, then I would claim all of the income in MD. Or vice-versa.
The Ohio school is private.

Topic Author
cdc

Post by cdc » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:20 pm

erictiger wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:10 pm
If Ohio withheld her tax, then she needs to file Ohio tax return to get the money back.
Yes, she’ll file an Ohio return too to get that refund.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:49 am

For tax purposes, a person is a resident of the state in which he/she is domiciled. Generally, students are residents of the state where their parents or guardians reside.

In a typical situation, a student would first file a nonresident tax return for Ohio. She might or might not have Ohio income tax liability.

Next, she would file a resident return for Maryland. If she had income tax liability in Ohio, she would claim a credit for it on her Maryland return. I believe a form 502CR is used for this.

Ohio also has local income taxes. She might need to file a separate local income tax form depending on the locality of her school.

ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:19 am

Katietsu wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:49 am
For tax purposes, a person is a resident of the state in which he/she is domiciled. Generally, students are residents of the state where their parents or guardians reside.

In a typical situation, a student would first file a nonresident tax return for Ohio. She might or might not have Ohio income tax liability.

Next, she would file a resident return for Maryland. If she had income tax liability in Ohio, she would claim a credit for it on her Maryland return. I believe a form 502CR is used for this.

Ohio also has local income taxes. She might need to file a separate local income tax form depending on the locality of her school.
Exactly.

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:36 am

Be aware of RITA, it’s Ohio’s Regional Income Tax Authority covering many municipalities. It’s somewhat of a pain dealing with.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:18 am

Katietsu wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:49 am

That is correct.

As for dealing with RITA (Regional Income Tax Authority), there returns are very straightforward and easy to complete. With the number of $$$ involved, it is pretty unlikely that there would be a refund or an additional payment for an on-campus job.