Gift tax return not filed

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Cpadave

Gift tax return not filed

Post by Cpadave » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:30 am

Has anyone received notice for not filing a gift tax return from IRS or State? In a situation when account was set up for minor and or 529 was funded that exceeded the gift tax exclusion limit.

codedude

Re: Gift tax return not filed

Post by codedude » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:42 am

I did not for 5 years. By then I came to know that a gift tax return needed to be filed, so I filed it, and haven’t heard for 2-3 years so far.

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:09 am

I've had clients who've received notices asking about gift tax returns where the IRS found out about a transfer that they thought was a gift, though none of them involved a gift to a 529 plan.

There was a story in the Wall Street Journal a few years ago saying that the IRS checks real estate records for transfers for no consideration or nominal consideration (since most states have a real estate transfer tax based on the consideration) and then checks to see if the transferor reported the transfer on a gift tax return.

On an estate tax audit, the IRS often looks at the decedent's bank records for the last 3 years of the decedent's death.

Topic Author
Cpadave

Post by Cpadave » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks for the helpful replies.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 am

I just completed Form 709 "United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return."

They make it a lot more difficult than you would think. Thirty six pages of instruction to fill out a 4 page form.

I was able to do it without help but it took a couple hours to report two gifts from parent to children.

TonyUncleJohnny

Post by TonyUncleJohnny » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:05 am

Am I correct in understanding that this "gift tax return" is only applicable in situations where the exclusion limit was crossed? Gift giver's exclusion limit of $15,000 per recipient.

My wife and I fund our children's 529 plans annually where each parent contributes $15k per child. So a total of $60k/yr gifted by 2 parents to 2 children. No other gifts made to the 2 children by parents. So we're maxing our gift exclusion limits but not crossing them. Other family members also contribute to the 2 children's 529 plans while staying within their individual exclusion limits. No gift-tax returns to be filed, am I correct?

Thank you.