VG Voyager Select status

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
rtom

VG Voyager Select status

Post by rtom »

I'm going to buy a new home before selling my old home, and to do so I will need to pull out a substantial sum from my taxable VG holdings for a few months, ie until the current home sells.

Doing so will result in my total VG holdings temporarily falling below the $500K total required for Voyager Select status.

How quickly will VG notice this? Are they likely to immediately remove me from Voyager Select, or is it likely there's a grace period?
Jack FFR1846

Re: VG Voyager Select status

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Ask yourself.....what exactly do you think you're getting from this status that's of any value to you? Did they give you a toaster that they'll show up to repossess? Note that I would ask the same thing about Fidelity, where I'm a Private Client. For that, I get free Turbo Tax (which I don't use) and get to tell a personal manager to leave me alone.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

rtom wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 am I'm going to buy a new home before selling my old home, and to do so I will need to pull out a substantial sum from my taxable VG holdings for a few months, ie until the current home sells.

Doing so will result in my total VG holdings temporarily falling below the $500K total required for Voyager Select status.

How quickly will VG notice this? Are they likely to immediately remove me from Voyager Select, or is it likely there's a grace period?
There is likely to be at least a short grace period, but a few months may be long enough for you to lose it.

But as Jack FFR1846 said, there's no longer much of a reason to care now that ETFs are nearly all commission-free. You would lose $2 stock trades ($7 instead) and $1/$1,000 brokered CD/corporate bond trades (instead of $2/$1,000).
Topic Author
rtom

Post by rtom »

Well, here's one possible reason I might care about the Voyager Select status: I am still in the midst of a conversation with VG about a mistake they made on a 1099-R back in January 2017. They mistakenly coded a reversal of an ineligible TIRA contribution as a taxable early distribution, and I didn't notice the mistake. The IRS noticed and wants to charge me close to $2000 in tax. The IRS says they will agree that I don't owe this amount if VG will issue a corrected 1099-R (unlikely), or it's possible that the iRS might accept some sort of letter of acknowledgment from VG.

It's too bad that this IRS issue and the home buying are overlapping.

To be perfectly honest, I find VG's mistake, and refusal to reissue the corrected 1099-R, sufficiently annoying that I will be thinking about putting my money elsewhere.
essbeer

Post by essbeer »

I remember when I crossed the threshold for Voyager Select status (but more than a month before my status officially changed) I called in and talked to a Voyager rep and asked him if I could talk to a Voyager Select rep and he told me he was also a Voyager Select rep. And also a Flagship rep.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

rtom wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:22 am Well, here's one possible reason I might care about the Voyager Select status: I am still in the midst of a conversation with VG about a mistake they made on a 1099-R back in January 2017. They mistakenly coded a reversal of an ineligible TIRA contribution as a taxable early distribution, and I didn't notice the mistake. The IRS noticed and wants to charge me close to $2000 in tax. The IRS says they will agree that I don't owe this amount if VG will issue a corrected 1099-R (unlikely), or it's possible that the iRS might accept some sort of letter of acknowledgment from VG.

It's too bad that this IRS issue and the home buying are overlapping.

To be perfectly honest, I find VG's mistake, and refusal to reissue the corrected 1099-R, sufficiently annoying that I will be thinking about putting my money elsewhere.
So Vanguard only fixes their accounting and tax form errors, maybe, for those with 500k in Vanguard funds in custody at Vanguard? It's a good thing you didn't have 499k, then. :wink: