What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
vu8
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am
Location: Summerlin NV

What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by vu8 »

Hi there, I already have the joyous citi double cash, yet I've heard one can get higher returns using other gas credit cards.

I know costco has a 4 percent gas credit card, but I don't shop at Costco, or sams club.

What is the no annual fee, supreme rate Gas credit card as of March 2019?
User avatar
susa
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:30 pm
Contact:

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by susa »

Ever heard of /r churning ?

The way it works best for us is to stack new offers, which we churn on top of local $10 off $50 gas cards (Publix)

Also, this:

Discover CC - Activate 5% CB at Gas Stations, Uber, and Lyft from April 1–June 30, 2019
Earn 5% Cashback Bonus at Gas Stations, Uber and Lyft from April 1–June 30, 2019, on up to $1,500 in purchases.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-cur ... n-bonuses/
Jack FFR1846
Posts: 13256
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

For the remainder of March, Chase Freedom, 5%.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
tea_pirate
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:29 am

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by tea_pirate »

I have the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus which gives 5% back on gas at any station that takes American Express. No churning or annoying rotating rewards categories to keep track of. I keep the card in my glovebox so I always have it when I need gas.
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 23478
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by willthrill81 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:10 am For the remainder of March, Chase Freedom, 5%.
Agreed. When it comes to gas stations, playing the 'rotating category' game with a few cards seems likely to be much more effective than any single card.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2305
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by sunny_socal »

May get the uber/lyft cards just for gas!

If you have shell stations near you and their prices are good (they are the lowest for me) consider the shell 5cent/gal card.
It's free and you just run it through the reader prior to buying gas.
https://www.fuelrewards.com/shop-at-shell

You can also use your phone number if you don't want to run the card.
User avatar
batpot
Posts: 1217
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by batpot »

Chase Freedom Jan-Mar
Dsicover Apr-June
Costco Citi card (4%) the rest of the time.
User avatar
batpot
Posts: 1217
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by batpot »

sunny_socal wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:20 am May get the uber/lyft cards just for gas!

If you have shell stations near you and their prices are good (they are the lowest for me) consider the shell 5cent/gal card.
It's free and you just run it through the reader prior to buying gas.
https://www.fuelrewards.com/shop-at-shell

You can also use your phone number if you don't want to run the card.
$0.05 at $4/gal = 1.25% ...not very good.
WhiteMaxima
Posts: 2282
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Costco Citi Visa 4%
Wal-Mart MC 5%
SocalLiving
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 am
Location: California

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by SocalLiving »

batpot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:21 am Chase Freedom Jan-Mar
Dsicover Apr-June
Costco Citi card (4%) the rest of the time.
+1
Topic Author
vu8
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am
Location: Summerlin NV

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by vu8 »

sunny_socal wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:20 am May get the uber/lyft cards just for gas!

If you have shell stations near you and their prices are good (they are the lowest for me) consider the shell 5cent/gal card.
It's free and you just run it through the reader prior to buying gas.
https://www.fuelrewards.com/shop-at-shell

You can also use your phone number if you don't want to run the card.
Yeah there's a shell and a speedway right across from each other 2 miles from where I live. The problem is that the speedway's price is nearly ALWAYS cheaper than shell's. Speed way has a 3 cents discount too if you punch in your phone number.

Seems like USAA's 5% gas card is the best so far, yet USAA has never approved my application before -_- I definitely would prefer an all year long credit card that doesn't rotate its categories.
User avatar
susa
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:30 pm
Contact:

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by susa »

Consider also if you are mechanically DIY for servicing your own cars, to take advantage of the Shell/Pennzoil/Mobil etc etc quarterly rebate programs which you stack on top of Walmart/Amazon/Sam's Club/BJ's etc etc sales

You stack the sales price on top of the rebate or refund at pump.

As an example, we recently purchased the full limit of Mobil 0W-20 AFE 6-Quart pack for $14.91 ($2.49/Qt)
Shell/Pennzoil allows you to take the rebate(s) as $1 off 1-gallon up to a value of $20.
Mobil and others usually send a check.
robertmcd
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:06 am

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by robertmcd »

BOA cash rewards 5.25% if you have preferred rewards
Topic Author
vu8
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am
Location: Summerlin NV

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by vu8 »

susa wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:33 am Consider also if you are mechanically DIY for servicing your own cars, to take advantage of the Shell/Pennzoil/Mobil etc etc quarterly rebate programs which you stack on top of Walmart/Amazon/Sam's Club/BJ's etc etc sales

You stack the sales price on top of the rebate or refund at pump.

As an example, we recently purchased the full limit of Mobil 0W-20 AFE 6-Quart pack for $14.91 ($2.49/Qt)
Shell/Pennzoil allows you to take the rebate(s) as $1 off 1-gallon up to a value of $20.
Mobil and others usually send a check.
I usually do it at Jiffy Lube for 30-40 every 3k miles, since I live in an apartment complex without garages... But man that's a sophisticated methodology.
middistancerunner
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:02 am

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by middistancerunner »

There is also this obscure credit card, which pays a flat 5% year-round:

https://www.firstbankcard.com/ducksunli ... t/?sub=000
User avatar
batpot
Posts: 1217
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by batpot »

middistancerunner wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 am There is also this obscure credit card, which pays a flat 5% year-round:

https://www.firstbankcard.com/ducksunli ... t/?sub=000
Nice!
The sporting goods is intriguing as well...
https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/sic_manua ... escription
Topic Author
vu8
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am
Location: Summerlin NV

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by vu8 »

middistancerunner wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 am There is also this obscure credit card, which pays a flat 5% year-round:

https://www.firstbankcard.com/ducksunli ... t/?sub=000
This is hilarious xDDDDDDDDDDDDD where did you find this???
MotoTrojan
Posts: 10779
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by MotoTrojan »

Discover will be 10% for year 1 three month period too.

I use Wells Propel which is 3% cash back on gas (dining and travel too) but when transfered to a Signature Visa and used for airfare it bumps up 1.5x to 4.5%. Year round too!
Topic Author
vu8
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am
Location: Summerlin NV

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by vu8 »

Just applied for the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express credit card and got approved! No foreign transaction fee, 5% gas cash back!

Also applied for the duck unlimited credit card and got declined lol.

Any credit card in the USA that can beat the 5% gas cash back for gas stations?
livesoft
Posts: 75130
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by livesoft »

Don't forget that at least some grocery stores (Kroger is one) give points for getting discounts at their gas station. So get the cash back on groceries and 50 cents a gallon off your gas.

The closest grocery/gas vendor to our home is Kroger, so we aren't gonna be driving much to get gas at $1.50 or less a gallon anyways.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 9786
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by whodidntante »

robertmcd wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:34 am BOA cash rewards 5.25% if you have preferred rewards
This is the highest rebate on gas as far as I know. I've chosen restaurants instead as the 5.25% category and I'm using a business card that rebates 4% on gas.
Jags4186
Posts: 5482
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by Jags4186 »

US Bank Altitude Reserve gets 4.5% cashback on mobile wallet purchases. Lots of gas stations accept Apple Pay/Samsung Pay nowadays.
tampaite
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by tampaite »

Deleting my messages on this forum
Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
J295
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by J295 »

Sam’s Club MasterCard. No annual fee.

5% on gas purchases anywhere.
User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 9786
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by whodidntante »

tampaite wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:30 pm
vu8 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 am
What is the no annual fee, supreme rate Gas credit card as of March 2019?
It's called an Electric car! :mrgreen:
If you go electric, you'll still have to shell out for a pious personalized plate, something like "LOL GAS." So which card gives the best rate for government services?
H-Town
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by H-Town »

batpot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:22 am
sunny_socal wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:20 am May get the uber/lyft cards just for gas!

If you have shell stations near you and their prices are good (they are the lowest for me) consider the shell 5cent/gal card.
It's free and you just run it through the reader prior to buying gas.
https://www.fuelrewards.com/shop-at-shell

You can also use your phone number if you don't want to run the card.
$0.05 at $4/gal = 1.25% ...not very good.
It's on top of the 5% Chase Freedom or 3% AMEX Preferred blue card.
bltn
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by bltn »

My PenFed Visa Platinum Cash Rewards card pays 5% back on gas purchases. And I just discovered , it now pays 3% back on grocery store purchases. No annual fee.
Magruder
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:30 am
Location: White Mtns of NH

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by Magruder »

For those of us in Northern New England, buy Irving Oil giftcards on Amazon with the Amazon Visa which gives 5% back on all Amazon purchases.
Unhandled
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:28 am
Location: Virginia

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by Unhandled »

BJ's Wholesale Club credit card, 10 cents off per gallon at BJ's fuel stations. 2% off any other gas station.
Carl53
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by Carl53 »

bltn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:50 pm My PenFed Visa Platinum Cash Rewards card pays 5% back on gas purchases. And I just discovered , it now pays 3% back on grocery store purchases. No annual fee.
My card does not have the word Cash in the title, does yours?
On my PF card that used to be the case when they initially offered the card. It does pay 5 points on $1 of gas and 3 points on $1 of groceries. Points used to be worth one cent. For the last several years it takes about 17.5% extra points to get what you used to be able to get. Used to be that you could get a $500 gift card for 50000 points. These days it costs 58,820 points. Still not bad but I wish I had not switched from their old gas cashback card when they offered me this.

In either case I do not see this card any longer being offered by PF but one that seems quite similar is the Visa Platinum Signature card that their linked benefit rules still points to the Platinum Rewards nomenclature.
MikeG62
Posts: 3556
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by MikeG62 »

bltn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:50 pm My PenFed Visa Platinum Cash Rewards card pays 5% back on gas purchases. And I just discovered , it now pays 3% back on grocery store purchases. No annual fee.
I have the same card. No information on the Pen Fed site about the other rewards the card earns. How did you know about the 3% back on groceries - assume you used at a Grocery store? Any idea if there is a quarterly or annual limit?
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
atdharris
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by atdharris »

I used to use the BofA Cash Rewards until they added online shopping for the 5.25% back category, so now I am at a loss for a gas card. The USAA Amex sounds nice, but I get my gas usually at Costco and they only take Visa. I'm using Freedom this quarter, but after this month, that's gone too.. maybe I'm forced to use BofA Premium Rewards for 2.67% back.
User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2305
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by sunny_socal »

H-Town wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:07 pm
batpot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:22 am
sunny_socal wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:20 am May get the uber/lyft cards just for gas!

If you have shell stations near you and their prices are good (they are the lowest for me) consider the shell 5cent/gal card.
It's free and you just run it through the reader prior to buying gas.
https://www.fuelrewards.com/shop-at-shell

You can also use your phone number if you don't want to run the card.
$0.05 at $4/gal = 1.25% ...not very good.
It's on top of the 5% Chase Freedom or 3% AMEX Preferred blue card.
Exactly, it's free money. I'm saving around $100/year on this shell bonus alone. (And yes shell is already the lowest price chain in my area)
User avatar
seed4great
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:14 am
Contact:

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by seed4great »

MikeG62 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:36 pm
bltn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:50 pm My PenFed Visa Platinum Cash Rewards card pays 5% back on gas purchases. And I just discovered , it now pays 3% back on grocery store purchases. No annual fee.
I have the same card. No information on the Pen Fed site about the other rewards the card earns. How did you know about the 3% back on groceries - assume you used at a Grocery store? Any idea if there is a quarterly or annual limit?
I do have it too. I can confirm for a gas part, but never bought groceries with it. But it seems not available for new customers anymore.
The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.
middistancerunner
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:02 am

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by middistancerunner »

vu8 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:35 am
middistancerunner wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 am There is also this obscure credit card, which pays a flat 5% year-round:

https://www.firstbankcard.com/ducksunli ... t/?sub=000
This is hilarious xDDDDDDDDDDDDD where did you find this???
I have no idea at this point - someone must have posted in a forum about it and it just stuck in my brain because it was so weird :P
vu8 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:47 am
Also applied for the duck unlimited credit card and got declined lol.
Oh noooooooooooooooo how sad :(
quantAndHold
Posts: 5197
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by quantAndHold »

batpot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:22 am
sunny_socal wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:20 am May get the uber/lyft cards just for gas!

If you have shell stations near you and their prices are good (they are the lowest for me) consider the shell 5cent/gal card.
It's free and you just run it through the reader prior to buying gas.
https://www.fuelrewards.com/shop-at-shell

You can also use your phone number if you don't want to run the card.
$0.05 at $4/gal = 1.25% ...not very good.
The Shell card is a loyalty card, not a credit card. So it’s an extra $0.05/gal, in addition to the rewards for whatever credit card you use.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
mariezzz
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by mariezzz »

livesoft wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:08 pm Don't forget that at least some grocery stores (Kroger is one) give points for getting discounts at their gas station. So get the cash back on groceries and 50 cents a gallon off your gas.

The closest grocery/gas vendor to our home is Kroger, so we aren't gonna be driving much to get gas at $1.50 or less a gallon anyways.
This is true but their gas always seems to be priced 10-15% higher than the cheapest in my area. Unless you actively shop the sales at Kroger, you're paying quite a bit - their 'normal' prices on many items are high.
livesoft
Posts: 75130
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by livesoft »

mariezzz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:45 pmThis is true but their gas always seems to be priced 10-15% higher than the cheapest in my area. Unless you actively shop the sales at Kroger, you're paying quite a bit - their 'normal' prices on many items are high.
Not so in my area, but I can see that it could be in many other places. In our area, there are plenty of grocery stores nearby, so even Kroger needs to compete on price.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
cowbman
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by cowbman »

batpot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:22 am
sunny_socal wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:20 am May get the uber/lyft cards just for gas!

If you have shell stations near you and their prices are good (they are the lowest for me) consider the shell 5cent/gal card.
It's free and you just run it through the reader prior to buying gas.
https://www.fuelrewards.com/shop-at-shell

You can also use your phone number if you don't want to run the card.
$0.05 at $4/gal = 1.25% ...not very good.
Since fuel rewards is a club program and not a credit card, you can stack these.
cowbman
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by cowbman »

vu8 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:35 am
middistancerunner wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 am There is also this obscure credit card, which pays a flat 5% year-round:

https://www.firstbankcard.com/ducksunli ... t/?sub=000
This is hilarious xDDDDDDDDDDDDD where did you find this???
This is a good choice for the OP. There are Rumors that Amex Green will add Gas as a category with 4x points/$.
yeahman
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:27 am

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by yeahman »

MotoTrojan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:46 am Discover will be 10% for year 1 three month period too.
I don't know why this isn't more popular. Nobody comes close to 10%.
onourway
Posts: 2893
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by onourway »

Still holding on to my older AmEx Blue with unlimited 5% for gas and groceries.
wilshuer
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by wilshuer »

seed4great wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:01 pm
MikeG62 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:36 pm
bltn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:50 pm My PenFed Visa Platinum Cash Rewards card pays 5% back on gas purchases. And I just discovered , it now pays 3% back on grocery store purchases. No annual fee.
I have the same card. No information on the Pen Fed site about the other rewards the card earns. How did you know about the 3% back on groceries - assume you used at a Grocery store? Any idea if there is a quarterly or annual limit?
I do have it too. I can confirm for a gas part, but never bought groceries with it. But it seems not available for new customers anymore.
Penfed used to be a true 5%/3% but changed to a point system a few years ago, so slightly less now. Right on their new card page has the 3x for supermarkets https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards. Usually just exchange for Amazon cards at 11760/$100

Used to be our go to card for groceries until we changed to the AMEX Blue preferred.
MikeG62
Posts: 3556
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by MikeG62 »

wilshuer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:20 am
seed4great wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:01 pm
MikeG62 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:36 pm
bltn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:50 pm My PenFed Visa Platinum Cash Rewards card pays 5% back on gas purchases. And I just discovered , it now pays 3% back on grocery store purchases. No annual fee.
I have the same card. No information on the Pen Fed site about the other rewards the card earns. How did you know about the 3% back on groceries - assume you used at a Grocery store? Any idea if there is a quarterly or annual limit?
I do have it too. I can confirm for a gas part, but never bought groceries with it. But it seems not available for new customers anymore.
Penfed used to be a true 5%/3% but changed to a point system a few years ago, so slightly less now. Right on their new card page has the 3x for supermarkets https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards. Usually just exchange for Amazon cards at 11760/$100

Used to be our go to card for groceries until we changed to the AMEX Blue preferred.
We are talking about two different cards here. One is the Platinum "Cash" Rewards (where it still pays 5% CB on gas) and the one you referred to is the newer Platinum Rewards "Signature" card, which uses points. The Cash Rewards card is no longer available.

I will make a small supermarket purchase with my Cash Rewards card and see if the CB is indeed 3% (vs 1%). Would be a slightly better option for me one I hit the max ($6,000) on my AMEX Blue Preferred (and exhaust the 5% bonus category spend on my Discover and Chase Freedom, in the quarters if/when they offer 5% on groceries up to $1,500) than using my Fidelity 2% CB card.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
GlennK
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:20 am

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by GlennK »

PNC Bank Visa offers 4% at all gas stations.
investor4life
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by investor4life »

vu8 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 am Hi there, I already have the joyous citi double cash, yet I've heard one can get higher returns using other gas credit cards.

I know costco has a 4 percent gas credit card, but I don't shop at Costco, or sams club.

What is the no annual fee, supreme rate Gas credit card as of March 2019?
If you spend enough on gas to make juggling credit cards worthwhile, then consider getting a basic Costco membership.
Costco gas is already 4-5% cheaper than other places (depending on where you live) plus the Costco CC gives you 4% cash back. (The executive membership does not get you the extra 2% on gas.) The card has many other benefits and is well worth it.
investor4life
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by investor4life »

investor4life wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:42 am
vu8 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 am Hi there, I already have the joyous citi double cash, yet I've heard one can get higher returns using other gas credit cards.

I know costco has a 4 percent gas credit card, but I don't shop at Costco, or sams club.

What is the no annual fee, supreme rate Gas credit card as of March 2019?
If you spend enough on gas to make juggling credit cards worthwhile, then consider getting a basic Costco membership.
Costco gas is already 4-5% cheaper than other places (depending on where you live) plus the Costco CC gives you 4% cash back. (The executive membership does not get you the extra 2% on gas.) The card has many other benefits and is well worth it.
ETA: By my back of the envelope calculations: if you spend $20/week on gas at the current AAA national average of about $2.65 per gallon and a conservative 15 cents per gallon savings at Costco, you will recoup the cost of basic membership ($60). The 4% CC cash back is then gravy. Of course this assumes that you have a Costco nearby. I am fortunate to have 2 within 5 miles of my house and one of them is en route to work.
MichCPA
Posts: 884
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by MichCPA »

mariezzz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:45 pm
livesoft wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:08 pm Don't forget that at least some grocery stores (Kroger is one) give points for getting discounts at their gas station. So get the cash back on groceries and 50 cents a gallon off your gas.

The closest grocery/gas vendor to our home is Kroger, so we aren't gonna be driving much to get gas at $1.50 or less a gallon anyways.
This is true but their gas always seems to be priced 10-15% higher than the cheapest in my area. Unless you actively shop the sales at Kroger, you're paying quite a bit - their 'normal' prices on many items are high.
My strategy is to wait for the 4x giftcard weekends and then use either Discover (5% this quarter) or AMEX Gold (4x) to give myself about 9-10% back on spend. Otherwise I don't bother with Kroger bc prices are higher (for gas and groceries). A major downside to Kroger is that gas category bonuses on CC often don't apply to stations with grocery stores. If the OP is a heavy gas spender I would suggest having both the Chase Freedom and Discover it, normally one of those will have gas as a 5% category and restaurants (useful if you have long road trips) are common as well.
wilshuer
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by wilshuer »

MikeG62 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:06 am
wilshuer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:20 am
seed4great wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:01 pm
MikeG62 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:36 pm
bltn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:50 pm My PenFed Visa Platinum Cash Rewards card pays 5% back on gas purchases. And I just discovered , it now pays 3% back on grocery store purchases. No annual fee.
I have the same card. No information on the Pen Fed site about the other rewards the card earns. How did you know about the 3% back on groceries - assume you used at a Grocery store? Any idea if there is a quarterly or annual limit?
I do have it too. I can confirm for a gas part, but never bought groceries with it. But it seems not available for new customers anymore.
Penfed used to be a true 5%/3% but changed to a point system a few years ago, so slightly less now. Right on their new card page has the 3x for supermarkets https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards. Usually just exchange for Amazon cards at 11760/$100

Used to be our go to card for groceries until we changed to the AMEX Blue preferred.
We are talking about two different cards here. One is the Platinum "Cash" Rewards (where it still pays 5% CB on gas) and the one you referred to is the newer Platinum Rewards "Signature" card, which uses points. The Cash Rewards card is no longer available.

I will make a small supermarket purchase with my Cash Rewards card and see if the CB is indeed 3% (vs 1%). Would be a slightly better option for me one I hit the max ($6,000) on my AMEX Blue Preferred (and exhaust the 5% bonus category spend on my Discover and Chase Freedom, in the quarters if/when they offer 5% on groceries up to $1,500) than using my Fidelity 2% CB card.
The old Cash Rewards card was changed into the Platinum card, if memory serves me correct about 3-4 years ago. At the time the Cash Rewards card gave 3% for groceries, 5% for gas - the main reason I chose it for both categories. They changed my card to the Platinum when the program changed, for whatever reason they didn't let me keep the cash card, a year or so later they devalued the points so the 5%/3% became slightly less.
MikeG62
Posts: 3556
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: What is the best gas credit cards hands down?

Post by MikeG62 »

wilshuer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:30 am
MikeG62 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:06 am
wilshuer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:20 am
seed4great wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:01 pm
MikeG62 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:36 pm

I have the same card. No information on the Pen Fed site about the other rewards the card earns. How did you know about the 3% back on groceries - assume you used at a Grocery store? Any idea if there is a quarterly or annual limit?
I do have it too. I can confirm for a gas part, but never bought groceries with it. But it seems not available for new customers anymore.
Penfed used to be a true 5%/3% but changed to a point system a few years ago, so slightly less now. Right on their new card page has the 3x for supermarkets https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards. Usually just exchange for Amazon cards at 11760/$100

Used to be our go to card for groceries until we changed to the AMEX Blue preferred.
We are talking about two different cards here. One is the Platinum "Cash" Rewards (where it still pays 5% CB on gas) and the one you referred to is the newer Platinum Rewards "Signature" card, which uses points. The Cash Rewards card is no longer available.

I will make a small supermarket purchase with my Cash Rewards card and see if the CB is indeed 3% (vs 1%). Would be a slightly better option for me one I hit the max ($6,000) on my AMEX Blue Preferred (and exhaust the 5% bonus category spend on my Discover and Chase Freedom, in the quarters if/when they offer 5% on groceries up to $1,500) than using my Fidelity 2% CB card.
The old Cash Rewards card was changed into the Platinum card, if memory serves me correct about 3-4 years ago. At the time the Cash Rewards card gave 3% for groceries, 5% for gas - the main reason I chose it for both categories. They changed my card to the Platinum when the program changed, for whatever reason they didn't let me keep the cash card, a year or so later they devalued the points so the 5%/3% became slightly less.
That’s odd as they have allowed me to continue using the old Cash Rewards card. No product change for me.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Post Reply