Amica hiked my insurance, thoughts on alternatives?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Da5id

Amica hiked my insurance, thoughts on alternatives?

Post by Da5id » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:47 am

Amica just hiked my auto insurance over 26%. With no obvious cause. No accidents ever, been a customer for over 20 years, cars depreciated by a year, and my kids are a year older (and hence at least in theory safer). I sent them a note asking why the hike and whether they really want to lose a long term customer. Assuming they don't respond favorably I will be shopping for new insurance. Anyone have any opinions/experience with other companies they'd like to share? I currently have homeowners, auto, and umbrella with Amica. I can't do USAA.

Gill

Re: Amica hiked my insurance, thoughts on alternatives?

Post by Gill » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:55 am

I was with Amica auto insurance for over 50 years but dropped them in favor of Geico when my premium skyrocketed. Never thought I'd leave them but a savings of about $700 on two cars was too much to accept.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:58 am

Farmer's insurance is the lowest cost provider for me, based on quotes. I have never filled a claim.

Interestingly, much of the information I see about farmer's insurance says they are costly. But not for me. Make sure to drill your agent regarding discounts. Some are odd and not well publicized. For instance, I received a scientist discount.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:00 am

I stupidly stayed with Allstate for years, +20, until I realized my rates were crazy high. Shopped around and went with Geico where the rates dropped almost 60 percent for the same coverage. In the Chicago area, 2012 Accord, no kids and over the years there has been no appreciable rate increase! Couldnt be happier.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:03 am

I shop around every few years to see if I can get lower rates, if rate increases are appreciable, I get quotes from the major, usually highly advertised companies, and from companies serviced by independent insurance agents. I have changed several times over the years.Interesting to me has been the major companies often preferred by Bogleheads, such as GEICO, and others has always been among the highest quoted rates in my area. I have been with Hartford for the last 4 years. However, their auto rates did increase 15.5% last year. I will be receiving new quotes this year to see where they stand now.
“One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life.” — Chinese Proverb

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:07 am

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:14 am

Try USAA, Amica and USAA consistently have the best customer service and claims process in the industry.

snowman

Post by snowman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 am

I also have home and auto with Amica, been with them for the past 15 years. Every year the rates go up, but last year they raised my HO insurance by 25% and auto by 2%. I shopped extensively with all major carriers. There were 2 that could match HO rates, but were much higher on auto, so overall Amica was still the lowest.

This year they did the same thing to me again - 20% raise on HO renewal, 5% increase on auto. I did the usual call asking why, and the answer was the same as last year - rates are going up for everyone for multiple reasons. Called around and again, nobody can beat their rates. We are in CO, BTW.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:33 am

Call Geico. I used to have Snake Farm, but their rates were so much higher than everyone else. Allstate was famous for the bait and switch routine, artificially low in year 1 to get your business, but they'd make up for it in the subsequent years by jacking up the rates. Geico is good for auto, but I use State Farm (aka Snake Farm) for home. Can't trust any of these insurance companies, they have been jacking up the rates every chance they get to make up for poor underwriting in states that have natural disaster calamaties, particularly wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods. When I say poor underwriting, I mean they failed to properly price the cost of insurance, not that insurance should not be offered, it should but at the right price.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:37 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:07 am
Since there is no profit being made at Amica, I assume their costs are basically fair. I asked them about a premium increase last year and they did respond, and showed me I had calculated it wrong, and was not 30% but 5%.

Farmers has a terrible reputation when handling claims. Amica has the best. That is worth something. A friend of mine lost her home in a wildfire. Amica write her a check for maximum contents loss, no questions asked, no delay. Nearly $600,000. Her neighbors with Farmers and Allstate were stuck recreating their lives and possessions from memories and photos, buying items and saving receipts, what a stress at that moment in their lives.

Shop around but make sure you're comparing apples to apples.
+1.

I never had insurance with Allstate, but my experience with Farmers was totally unsatisfactory.

It is always a balancing act to get a balance between the rate and the customer service.

stl717

Post by stl717 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:06 am

We live in Colorado, also. Amica has been raising our HO rates about 15%/year, but the Autos have stayed pretty consistent. I got a quote from State Farm and they were more expensive with higher deductible. I know I should get some other quotes, but will probably just ride it out with Amica for another year.

cleosdad

Post by cleosdad » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:24 am

stl717 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:06 am
We live in Colorado, also. Amica has been raising our HO rates about 15%/year, but the Autos have stayed pretty consistent. I got a quote from State Farm and they were more expensive with higher deductible. I know I should get some other quotes, but will probably just ride it out with Amica for another year.
I also live in Co. My Amica HO went up 22%, umbrella stayed the same and auto went up a little. I shopped around but couldn't beat it by much. I called them yesterday and was told my zip code was known for hail which it is. I raised my deductible to $5000 even with possible hail and am paying auto in full and will stay with them.

Green Street

Post by Green Street » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:04 am

Been with geico for 8 years been paying a ridiculous premium for auto insurance, switched to Liberty Mutual cutting about 50% while getting a better policy. If they’re terrible, I’ll shop around after the year is up.
Searching Through The FiRE

sport

Post by sport » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:25 am

I've had State Farm insurance for many years. Sometimes the rates have actually gone down when I get a renewal. The few times I have had claims they were handled very well. For my last auto claim, after the car was repaired, an adjuster came to my house to look at the car, even though I had not requested it. He pointed out where the repair was not quite right and advised that I should take the car back and tell them to do a better job. I followed his advice and the body shop corrected their error. I also have a very good State Farm agent whom I trust. By having all my policies with SF, I get good discounts on all of them.

Post by 2015 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:35 am

I've tried time and again to shop Wawanesa in California but have been unable to find anyone to beat them.

Southtonorth

Post by Southtonorth » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:15 pm

I think in the insurance industry, it may be beneficial to be a new customer.

I've used Farmers for some years and I've been quite happy with them. However, the rate increased drastically one year, without obvious reasons. I decided to shop around and was thinking of switching company. I told my agent about what I was thinking of doing. He said he could sign me up as a new customer and see whether the rate decreased. And it did! It's still a little higher than the lowest quotes I got. However, it's a hassle to change companies for auto/home/umbrella. And sometimes you have to bundle them to get the best deal. Anyway, I decided to stay with Farmers. I used Liberty Mutual about 10 years ago. Their auto rates are very high for us now, so we're staying with Farmers. We live in midwest. Two experienced drivers with occasional minor accidents. Kids are still too young to drive.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Been with AMICA for almost 40 years. Each year when I get the price hikes that have been coming, I question them. Sometimes it's partly due to them increasing the house value too much, and my rep takes it back down.

If you want a high service insurance company, they cannot be beat. USAA has been taking a pounding for poor service and poor bank practices. I have relative with PURE. I may check them out.

Keep in mind - when you see an entire town devastated by wildfires, when you see that California is basically on fire - even if YOUR insurance company isn't out there, the reinsurance market is going to get hammered. We're all going to pay for it eventually.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

prairieman

Post by prairieman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:46 pm

I’m glad this thread was started. I have been thinking of leaving Allstate because I feel like I must somehow be paying for their unbelievable number of commercials. Ironically, the first company I was going to call is Amica which had good ratings for price and customer satisfaction.

Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 pm

prairieman wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:46 pm
I’m glad this thread was started. I have been thinking of leaving Allstate because I feel like I must somehow be paying for their unbelievable number of commercials. Ironically, the first company I was going to call is Amica which had good ratings for price and customer satisfaction.
I've really liked Amica, and if you can get a good rate from them I recommend it. I haven't had any claims, but they have been very pleasant when I've dealt with them. But an unprovoked increase of 26% in my premium is enough to make me shop elsewhere.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:42 pm

Da5id wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 pm
prairieman wrote:
I've really liked Amica, and if you can get a good rate from them I recommend it. I haven't had any claims, but they have been very pleasant when I've dealt with them. But an unprovoked increase of 26% in my premium is enough to make me shop elsewhere.

+1

We've been with Amica since 2012. My wife had to file a claim for a chipped wind shield. They took care of it immediately.

Clark Howard recommends them based on their customer service and claim response.
Global Market Cap Equity/1 Year Cash/Bonds || 25x Expenses

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 pm

lostdog wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:42 pm
Da5id wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 pm
prairieman wrote:

+1

We've been with Amica since 2012. My wife had to file a claim for a chipped wind shield. They took care of it immediately.

Clark Howard recommends them based on their customer service and claim response.
+1

Sometimes I think there is not enough talk about the value of good customer service vs. price. I much prefer to have great service over the cheapest policy.

SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:24 pm

There are other insurance companies that have as good of a reputation as Amica. We had Amica and then shopped around after a few years and got Erie instead. Excellent reputation and was cheaper than Amica. I have no doubt I will shop Erie too in the near future. That’s just how it works nowadays.

erictiger

Post by erictiger » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:16 pm

I switched to Amica (auto, home and umbrella) in January from AAA. The quotes I got from Geico, Erie or AAA are higher than Amica. I am in Chicago suburb.

Bogle7

Amica hiked our insurance

Post by Bogle7 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:43 pm

AMICA in 2014 was $1050 for homeowners with a $5K deductible.
In 2019 it is $2300.
Colorado hailstorms are magical.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:41 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:07 am
Since there is no profit being made at Amica, I assume their costs are basically fair. I asked them about a premium increase last year and they did respond, and showed me I had calculated it wrong, and was not 30% but 5%.

Farmers has a terrible reputation when handling claims. Amica has the best. That is worth something. A friend of mine lost her home in a wildfire. Amica write her a check for maximum contents loss, no questions asked, no delay. Nearly $600,000. Her neighbors with Farmers and Allstate were stuck recreating their lives and possessions from memories and photos, buying items and saving receipts, what a stress at that moment in their lives.

Shop around but make sure you're comparing apples to apples.
This isn't just worth something, this is about as important as it gets.

It makes me crabby when people brag about how little they pay for insurance and offer no further explanation about why they recommend their company... as if price is the most important (or ONLY) attribute of insurance coverage.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:18 pm

Insurance companies raise premiums different amounts for different people based upon "predictive modeling". They know approximately how much they can jack it up without you leaving based on everything they know about you, which is quite a lot.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:18 pm
Insurance companies raise premiums different amounts for different people based upon "predictive modeling". They know approximately how much they can jack it up without you leaving based on everything they know about you, which is quite a lot.
Amica does not do this practice, unless something very recently changed. (I highly doubt it, another reason to use Amica.) It more than likely has to do with risk.

As far as risk, I'm very low, and Amica gave me some of the best rates.

Deblog

Post by Deblog » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:44 pm

We had Erie insurance for years but when kids were old enough to drive it skyrocketed. We switched to State Farm. They had a program for teen drivers that reduced the rate if they did it. Been with them ever since. Homeowners we had some roof damage from storm and when we thought we would just need a repair, they actually said there was hail damage we could not see and needed a new roof. Next day cut us a check. Roof was maybe 15 years old and check completely covered a new one.

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Trism wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:41 pm
This isn't just worth something, this is about as important as it gets.

It makes me crabby when people brag about how little they pay for insurance and offer no further explanation about why they recommend their company... as if price is the most important (or ONLY) attribute of insurance coverage.
We just had a massive hail storm go through our neighborhood a couple years ago.

One of our neighbors is still fighting with Allstate because they refuse to cover more than half the roof replacement cost and 1/3rd of the siding costs.

By contrast, we have Amica. Made the claim on a Monday, adjuster was out here on Thursday, and the first check arrived the following Monday to start covering 100% of the roof replacement and full siding replacement. All of our contact with the folks handling our claim were fastastic — only following up if they needed to adjust the payout to cover any additional repairs.

For a 26% increase I’d shop other companies, but I would definitely make a selection based on more than price. This is a few years old now, but it’s still an interesting read: https://www.justice.org/sites/default/f ... _FINAL.pdf

Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:32 pm

As an update, the increase has been knocked back some. Turns out they didn't have my kids grades for the "good student discount". Also realized I should drop collision on my 14 year old car. So I'll give Amica another year. Geico was cheaper, but I do like Amica's service at least.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Amica customer here.

I shop around every two years. They are always the cheapest, or at least close enough that it's not worth switching.

Home. Auto. Umbrella. Very high deductibles.

Never filed a claim for anything. Ever.
Funding secured

texas lawdog

Post by texas lawdog » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Amica also has dividends in some states (see below), where they give you a portion of money back on your policy...

Auto dividend policies are not available in CA, FL, HI, MA, MO, NC, NJ and TX.
Home dividend policies are not available in CA, FL, MO and NC.
Umbrella dividend polices are not available in CA, FL and MO.

I'm an Amica customer in TX

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:50 pm

texas lawdog wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 pm
Amica also has dividends in some states (see below), where they give you a portion of money back on your policy...

Interesting. I never received a dividend, and I do not live in any of the states you listed. Perhaps I should call them and inquire.

Thanks you.
Funding secured

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:11 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:50 pm
texas lawdog wrote:

Interesting. I never received a dividend, and I do not live in any of the states you listed. Perhaps I should call them and inquire.

Thanks you.
They may be applying your dividend automatically to your bill. That's the option I selected on mine. Also if my memory is correct, you can chose to not be a member, in which case you get a lower initial price but no dividend.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Interesting. Thanks to all. I will look into it.
Funding secured

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Use the agent search on the front page here:

www.cinfin.com

Find an independent agent in your area that can shop multiple carriers.

You might choose to stay where you are or switch to one the insurance providers that serves your area.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

snowman

Post by snowman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:34 pm

texas lawdog wrote:

That's a great point I forgot to mention in my earlier post. I lowered my costs last year by switching to dividend policy, as well as raising deductible. There was nothing else I could do this time around.

sarahjane

Post by sarahjane » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:34 pm

I am an Amica auto customer (live near the coast so won't write HO here). Have had some serious and costly (for Amica) accidents. Their claims handling has been top rate and they continue to insure me. I have stuck with them and they with me.I don't even bother considering others.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:26 pm

thought I read this exact same thread a few months ago
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:45 pm

sarahjane wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:34 pm
I am an Amica auto customer (live near the coast so won't write HO here). Have had some serious and costly (for Amica) accidents. Their claims handling has been top rate and they continue to insure me. I have stuck with them and they with me.I don't even bother considering others.
They started writing Homeowner's in my coastal area again a year or two ago. It may be worth checking to see if your area is now covered. I saved about $600 moving my homeowners to AMICA when they did that. Some of that may be the multi-policy discount.

Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:19 am

F150HD wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:26 pm
If threads weren't duplicated we'd not have a forum :) e.g. "Do I need international stocks" or "Why bonds" threads. I did search before I posted this, but didn't find something recent I thought was a dup.

baritone

Post by baritone » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 am

Da5id wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:47 am
Amica just hiked my auto insurance over 26%. With no obvious cause. No accidents ever, been a customer for over 20 years, cars depreciated by a year, and my kids are a year older (and hence at least in theory safer). I sent them a note asking why the hike and whether they really want to lose a long term customer. Assuming they don't respond favorably I will be shopping for new insurance. Anyone have any opinions/experience with other companies they'd like to share? I currently have homeowners, auto, and umbrella with Amica. I can't do USAA.
Ameriprise, through Costco, saved me a bundle in NM.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:09 pm

I generally shop everything (auto, home, umbrella) every three years and end up switching the majority of the time. The longest I’ve been with an insurer was 8-9 years with GEICO, at which point Amica was cheaper. That was in the aughts. Most places end up turning the screws on long term customers it seems.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Da5id wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:19 am
F150HD wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:26 pm
If threads weren't duplicated we'd not have a forum :) e.g. "Do I need international stocks" or "Why bonds" threads. I did search before I posted this, but didn't find something recent I thought was a dup.
your next goal should be to post a thread on 'where to park cash'. Haven't seen one of them in....about an hour. :/
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:52 pm

I got it down another 3.9% by paying in full for the year's auto insurance. So after sending in kids grades for "good grades" discount, dropping collision on my older (2005) car that wasn't really warranted, and the paid in full discount, it is a bit cheaper than last year. Glad I looked into it :)

megabad

Post by megabad » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:02 pm

Da5id wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:47 am
Amica is pretty high in my area. I would have done business with them anyway though because claims paying process is really the only thing that matters so just wanted to say that. However, they weren't able to figure out my relatively simple situation and required novels worth of information on me.

I called up Liberty Mutual and the rate was a lot lower and it took only minutes to execute a policy exactly as I prescribed. I have only filed one claim ever with them (a huge one) and they were acceptable (but not perfect). I had to use their approved contractor who wasn't great, but eventually everything got done to my satisfaction. I don't love their AM Best rating, but I usually recommend people start with Liberty.

Chubb handles some of my properties and they have been pretty top notch service wise but I think I am overpaying.

Allstatewas by far the cheapest for me on a comparable basis, but Safeco was a close second. However, Allstate had zero flexibility and refused to quote me (my agent) the coverages that I wanted. I don't have any experience with their claims process but they are financially sound.

Most of the others were all about the same rates (maybe 10-20% higher than Allstate). StateFarm was sky high for me, no idea why. I don't understand why their market share is so high and some people love them. I guess they have good sales people/agents or they are just a lot cheaper in other areas. Their market exposure actually scares me a little from going with them.

I don't use any of the non full service companies (GEICO, Progressive, etc) because I like everything under one house so no experience there. I feel pretty strongly that all my personal lines should be from the same company so they are pretty much out for me.

Be aware as soon as you get away from Amica and the mutual methodology, if you want low rates you will have to jump ship every few years because of the loyalty penalty as others have said.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:14 pm

SchruteB&B wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:24 pm
There are other insurance companies that have as good of a reputation as Amica. We had Amica and then shopped around after a few years and got Erie instead. Excellent reputation and was cheaper than Amica. I have no doubt I will shop Erie too in the near future. That’s just how it works nowadays.
Yes, we shopped around after American Family jacked up our rates. Slowly at first year to year, then something like a 15% increase one year for no reason.

Doing research Erie was consistently highly rated and their rates were a good bit lower than AmFam.

I'm also of the thinking I want good rates but not at the expense of dealing with a crap company if I ever need them.

Malinois000

Post by Malinois000 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:22 pm

State Farm handles my autos, homeowner, PLUP, Life, PAP...and have done so for 30 years.

A Boglehead

Post by A Boglehead » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:48 pm

Do you think GEICO or Amica is better? Amica raised my car insurance by $330.96 "due to your state's rate increase which went into effect of February last year, which is only now impacting your policy since this is the first renewal since that increase went into effect."

GEICO costs $376.18 less per year than Amica.

I've had Amica for years, but this was a significant increase. Customer service is important to me, as I've had a negative experience w/another insurance company in the past and will pay more for good service.

Thanks!