Does Fidelity Premium Services cost anything?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
PrettyCoolWorkshop

Does Fidelity Premium Services cost anything?

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:54 am

Howdy Bogleheads.

I am currently in the process of transitioning my mother out of a financial advisor that charges ~1% AUM fee. I have now been set up as Power of Attorney for my mom. I am migrating her assets to Fidelity. One of my mom's friends suggested a person at Fidelity in her area we should contact to help with the process, so we did. He is a financial advisor. Earlier during the transition process I told him my intent that I intend to invest in low cost index funds, etc. and avoid fees at all cost. He has been helpful with the transition. We simply set up two retirement accounts and a brokerage account. If the advisor did any paperwork with my mom that created an explicit advisor relationship, I was not involved. Now that the accounts are set up, I noticed a big "Fidelity Premium Services" banner, with a "your advisor" link, across the top of her account.

I fear that I will likely have to terminate this Fidelity Premium Services if it charges an AUM fee. Is anyone here familiar with Fidelity Premium Services charging a fee, or is it gratis? I have tried googling this and searching Fidelity's website but the answers were heavily obfuscated (perhaps intentionally?).
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

Strayshot

Re: Does Fidelity Premium Services cost anything?

Post by Strayshot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:56 am

Premium services costs nothing and is triggered by the amount of money you have at Fidelity.

Topic Author
PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 am

Thanks, Strayshot. Looks like so far we have avoided getting "out of the frying pan, into the fire."
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:59 am

This old thread has some additional info:

viewtopic.php?t=185163

I should add that I have never actually used or seen any benefit from being under the premium services category. I have always had extremely good customer service at Fidelity, maybe it is due to this or maybe not, but I can surely say I have not seen any fees or attempts to contact me or sell me anything by Fidelity. I have been extremely pleased with Fidelity, more so than with any other financial company/services I have engaged with. If Fidelity ever IPO’s I will lose my boglehead status because 15% of my portfolio will become Fidelity.
Last edited by Strayshot on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:00 am

https://thefinancebuff.com/vanguard-fid ... count.html

It doesn't look there is a charge. It's just for accounts with balances over $250k. Call the rep and find out.

Interestingly enough, it seems assets under record also count. So with over $250k in Vanguard funds held in a Fidelity account, one should also qualify for Fidelity Premium Services...