Study full time to get a second masters for career shift?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Bwlonge

Study full time to get a second masters for career shift?

Post by Bwlonge » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:08 pm

How ill advised is this?

I'm 32, making 70k/yr in a job I don't like.

I'm thinking I'd like to make a shift and get skills statistics and computer science to become a statistical programmer/data scientist. High demand, high competition field.

How impractical would it be to go to school full time and work enough to cover my expenses, probably while taking out student loans around 30k.

I could make it a very enriching 2 years of full time study, and with that shot of new skills, I'd be well qualified to go into the field.

On the other hand, I'm currently maxing my TAAs. I could do part time study, but it would draw the process out to maybe 4 years.

I think the ideal would be to find a job I like and hope they're willing to help pay for some of my education.

But as far as the full time study idea goes, how bad of an idea is that?

ohai

Re: Study full time to get a second masters for career shift?

Post by ohai » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Not enough info. What schools are you considering, where do you live/work, and where do you want to work later?

Topic Author
Bwlonge

Post by Bwlonge » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:15 pm

I would be looking at MS programs in Statistics with extra classes in Computer Science. I currently have an M.Ed and a graduate certificate.

I'm in Massachusetts. I would look at any good program, probably within MA. Would definitely involve moving. Alternative would be to do an online program and study from home (I own a duplex), but I would rather do face to face for networking.

I currently run assessment logistics for a small organization. I would like to work for a larger company doing analytics and data science/research that involves a big emphasis on statistics and programming. I have solid foundations with some grad work in that area and experience using the tools, but lack in depth knowledge.

Another alternative is to self study and build a portfolio to demonstrate value to an employer. I fear that is fairly risky as I'm competing against veterans with degrees.

My main concern is the amount of time I'm able to devote to getting good at what I need to get good at with a full time job, especially one I don't like.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Bwlonge wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:15 pm
I would be looking at MS programs in Statistics with extra classes in Computer Science. I currently have an M.Ed and a graduate certificate.

I'm in Massachusetts. I would look at any good program, probably within MA. Would definitely involve moving. Alternative would be to do an online program and study from home (I own a duplex), but I would rather do face to face for networking.

I currently run assessment logistics for a small organization. I would like to work for a larger company doing analytics and data science/research that involves a big emphasis on statistics and programming. I have solid foundations with some grad work in that area and experience using the tools, but lack in depth knowledge.

Another alternative is to self study and build a portfolio to demonstrate value to an employer. I fear that is fairly risky as I'm competing against veterans with degrees.

My main concern is the amount of time I'm able to devote to getting good at what I need to get good at with a full time job, especially one I don't like.
Before considering a degree I would try to leverage my current situation. In a high demand field it seems like you could scrape enough experience together to worm your way into a job that pays at least as much as you make now and probably more.

Topic Author
Bwlonge

Post by Bwlonge » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:05 pm

StandingRock wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Before considering a degree I would try to leverage my current situation. In a high demand field it seems like you could scrape enough experience together to worm your way into a job that pays at least as much as you make now and probably more.
Yeah, I've been putting my resume out there with a lot of initial interest from employers, but nothing has worked out yet. I'm trying to figure out what i can do to shore things up quickly. I could just be patient- something is bound to work out.