"Advice that Sticks" book valuable for the self-directed

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
gponym

"Advice that Sticks" book valuable for the self-directed

Post by gponym » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Moira Somers, Ph.D., published in 2018 the book Advice that Sticks. I find it valuable for individuals who direct their own finances even though it is aimed at financial advice pros who sit on the other side of the desk. The author has a good sense of humor and the book is clearly written. Her goal in writing was to help those "giving financial counsel" recognize that they can--and probably need to--do more to help their clients adhere to recommended courses of action.

(Among other reasons, I got it because I've had lifelong struggle to set and hold to a good investing path, and wanted to learn more about how to do so. The book is not meant to answer that question but I still found it quite useful.)

I can't review it--a financial advice pro ought to do that. But I can recommend it to anyone who'd like to learn a bit more about guiding his or her own behavior around the often thorny task of managing personal finances.

She's apparently Canadian, so maybe the Canadian wiki could mention it if others find it useful. I have no connection with author or this book, am just a reader who enjoyed and benefited from it.