Setting up Joint/Individual Accounts with Spouse

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Ppdyssy9153

Setting up Joint/Individual Accounts with Spouse

Post by Ppdyssy9153 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi fellow Bogleheads! I know this topic is already out there, but I haven't a slightly different question.

My husband and I currently have two individual checking accounts. We would like to open up a joint account, into which all of our direct deposits will go. We then want to keep our individual accounts.

I currently have my personal checking at Bank of America. We would like to open up a joint account at BofA, as well as move my husband's personal account there as well. The problem is that, since we won't have any direct deposits into the individual account, and we won't be keeping the required minimum balances in these individual account to avoid the fees, we will be assessed monthly maintenance fees. I realize that we could split our direct deposits into the joint and individual accounts in order to avoid the fees, but we don't want to do that. I really would like to stay with Bank of America for convenience. The fees for each individual account would be $4.95 monthly.

Does anyone else have this 3 account setup and do you pay monthly fees? If you do, how do you justify the fees? Is it worth it for the convenience and should I chuck it up to a necessary evil? Or does anyone else have a bank that they like that doesn't charge fees for a similar 3 account setup?

Thanks!

bob60014

Re: Setting up Joint/Individual Accounts with Spouse

Post by bob60014 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:17 pm

We use Chase Premier Plus with accounts combined average daily balance of over $15,000. No fees, no issues.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Is there a way you can split your paychecks to put the minimum $600 automatic deposit in the individual account and rest into the joint account? You should be able to transfer from individual accounts to the joint account if needed . . . . check with BoA on that.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:20 pm

We use USAA. No minimum balance. No fees. We only have a joint account but I am sure I could create individual accounts if I wanted to.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:20 pm

Note, if you have a Merrill Edge account linked to the BoA accounts that should count for the minimum, suggests you talk with your local branch to discussion options if you are interested in holding some funds in ME.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Easy answer.

Pick a bank with no fees (Ally), or pay the fees.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:22 pm

It would be way easier just to use one account. Or is over your accounts to a credit union.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:29 pm

When we did it at BofA, we used a single joint account with sub accounts. All of the sub accounts counted as a single account as far as minimum balances and such were concerned. If you really want the accounts to be titled differently, and legally separated, this clearly won’t work. It’s really more of a notional separation than a legal one. We’re in California, and being a community property state, the idea of accounts that are truly separate wasn’t really a thing, so it worked for us. If you want to stay wih BofA, go into the branch and talk to the manager. They know what products they have, and are quite willing to sit down and talk.

Otherwise, there are plenty of banks and credit unions that have free checking that’s actually free for normal people.

megabad

Post by megabad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Ppdyssy9153 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:09 pm
Hi fellow Bogleheads! I know this topic is already out there, but I haven't a slightly different question.

My husband and I currently have two individual checking accounts. We would like to open up a joint account, into which all of our direct deposits will go. We then want to keep our individual accounts.

I currently have my personal checking at Bank of America. We would like to open up a joint account at BofA, as well as move my husband's personal account there as well. The problem is that, since we won't have any direct deposits into the individual account, and we won't be keeping the required minimum balances in these individual account to avoid the fees, we will be assessed monthly maintenance fees. I realize that we could split our direct deposits into the joint and individual accounts in order to avoid the fees, but we don't want to do that. I really would like to stay with Bank of America for convenience. The fees for each individual account would be $4.95 monthly.

Does anyone else have this 3 account setup and do you pay monthly fees? If you do, how do you justify the fees? Is it worth it for the convenience and should I chuck it up to a necessary evil? Or does anyone else have a bank that they like that doesn't charge fees for a similar 3 account setup?

Thanks!
What is the purpose of the individual accounts? Do you intend to transact on them often? If not, switch to a savings account and the minimums drop from 1500 down to 300 to avoid the fees. $1500 balance is about $37 bucks in interest lost per year, $300 would be maybe $7 at current interest rates. $7-37 per year isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Just the cost of doing business with an expensive monster mega bank.

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:48 pm

I have this 3 account set up. I fo NOT pay fees I refuse and they make me upset!

One thing would be will boa wave fees for aggregate balances ? (They use to) they also often wave fees if you have a credit card with them which would be the easiest (they have decent cards)

Chase where my husbands personal is (we both had wamu till it got dissolved he stayed I did not) will wave the fee if I deposit via ach $500 a month. I literally have it go in and then most come back out 2 days later.

Topic Author
Ppdyssy9153

Post by Ppdyssy9153 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 pm

We could split the direct deposits among the accounts, but prefer not to do that. The individual accounts will be used for everyday stuff, like coffee runs, lunches out and personal items. We wouldn’t keep a large enough minimum daily balance to avoid the fees.

I know the money would be better spent elsewhere, but the fees would only amount to about $120 a year. I guess I can just chalk it up to a convenience fee or the cost of doing business with a big corporate bank. It just bugs me that a bank I’ve been a loyal customer of for many years, can’t work with me.

J295

Post by J295 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:35 pm

Fidelity— no fees. Free ATM. Etc.

pkjr

Post by pkjr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:39 pm

J295 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:35 pm
Fidelity— no fees. Free ATM. Etc.
This ^ or Schwab / or local credit union

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Switch to one of many banks that doesn't charge maintenance fees.

donall

Post by donall » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Why do all three accounts have to be at BOA?
Nowadays it is pretty easy to transfer money between banks
Last edited by donall on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:18 pm

Ppdyssy9153 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 pm
We could split the direct deposits among the accounts, but prefer not to do that. The individual accounts will be used for everyday stuff, like coffee runs, lunches out and personal items. We wouldn’t keep a large enough minimum daily balance to avoid the fees.

I know the money would be better spent elsewhere, but the fees would only amount to about $120 a year. I guess I can just chalk it up to a convenience fee or the cost of doing business with a big corporate bank. It just bugs me that a bank I’ve been a loyal customer of for many years, can’t work with me.
Why checking accounts for coffee runs, lunches out and personal items? Who write checks or uses debit card for that matter for coffee runs? Use credit cards (two separate individual cards if you like) and autopay entire balance(s) out of one checking account where paychecks are direct deposited. Easy. No fees. Earn miles or points.
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

Topic Author
Ppdyssy9153

Post by Ppdyssy9153 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:49 pm

I do like the convenience of BofA. They’re located all over and I’ve had a good experience with them. I do tend to use my credit card for most purchases, but I’d prefer to keep checking, just so I’m not limited to 6 withdrawals per month.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:56 pm

We dumped Bof A over 8 years ago. Had multiple bad experiences with their record keeping and charging fees. Never looked back. I haven't been into a physical bank since the day we closed the account.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

leeks

Post by leeks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:13 pm

So much easier to just have one checking account. Use cash or credit cards for each person's personal spending within whatever budget you agree on.

bayview

Post by bayview » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:15 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:20 pm
We use USAA. No minimum balance. No fees. We only have a joint account but I am sure I could create individual accounts if I wanted to.
+1

We have individual and joint accounts at USAA. No fees on any of them, no minimum balance, no automatic deposits required.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:21 pm

Ppdyssy9153 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:49 pm
I do like the convenience of BofA. They’re located all over and I’ve had a good experience with them. I do tend to use my credit card for most purchases, but I’d prefer to keep checking, just so I’m not limited to 6 withdrawals per month.
Agree its nice to have everything in one B&M ecosystem. B of A works great for me. We keep set and forget Vanguard and schwab ETFs in ME, around 100k, so qualify for platinum rewards for CC bonus, 4 free no fee no atm fee accounts and a free safe deposit box. We have had a good experience overall for a number of years now. Branch is understaffed but can get what you need with an appointment and most everything can be done online anyway.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:42 am

Ppdyssy9153 wrote:

Thanks!
Why would a married couple have individual accounts. Sounds like a trust issue with money. Also, why make something simple so difficult. Wife and I have joint accounts, one savings and one checking account at BOA with direct deposits no fees. Same with credit cards and investments. We manage and agree on all spending. Keeping it simple for 25 years has been great. Maybe you should have that discussion.

Topic Author
Ppdyssy9153

Post by Ppdyssy9153 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:35 pm

I like the idea of individual accounts. I’m way more OCD and frugal about money than my husband, so I’d rather not see how much he spends on drive thru runs, personal care stuff, etc. He’ll have his budgeted money and can spend it how he wants, without me critiquing all the time.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:07 pm

We were long time BOA customers. Ran our business through there, too. Got all the perks of "personal banker" etc.

Once retired, and the cash flow amounts dropped, they lost interest in me and tacked on a bunch of fees. They have no loyalty to their customer, so I see no reason, OP, why you feel the need to remain loyal to them. For the last 10 years I have used online banks plus a small local B&M and things go a whole lot easier.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:03 am

Ppdyssy9153 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:49 pm
I do tend to use my credit card for most purchases, but I’d prefer to keep checking, just so I’m not limited to 6 withdrawals per month.
Can you explain how paying by credit card, checking, and six withdrawals per month are related? We may be talking about different things. Wife and I charge almost everything to our credit card(s), including Amazon and even PayPal payments go to CC. The credit card then is automatically paid full-balance once a month from our joint checking. So, keep checking. Keep credit card(s). No idea where the six withdrawal concern comes in.
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

basspond

Post by basspond » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:32 am

Ppdyssy9153 wrote:

Thanks!
We do not have this setup, all our accounts are joint.

We do have a premier account with Chase with several sub accounts for school aged children. Opened a investment account which counts for the $15k minimum balance.

The evil is having an account to hide frivolous spending from each other’s eyes. Easier way is to have a budget and both agree to each other’s spending. Will create less OCD moments in your life.

Chase Premier but you would have access to see his spending. Unless you gave him full control and you would have the sub account.

Good luck and hope you can get on the same page with each other.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:08 am

Ppdyssy9153 wrote:
Or does anyone else have a bank that they like that doesn't charge fees for a similar 3 account setup?
We use TD Bank which has a $100 minimum balance for their "Convenience Checking" accounts. We have no problem with keeping our balances above that amount.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Topic Author
Ppdyssy9153

Post by Ppdyssy9153 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks everyone! I gave up BofA and we opened up free accounts at another bank. Problem solved 😀