Podcasts [Financial]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
SmallCityDave

Podcasts [Financial]

Post by SmallCityDave »

Which podcasts are you listening to?

I've been listening to Dave Ramsey for a long time and recently Radical Personal Finance with Joshua Sheats.
GDBryan

Re: Podcasts

Post by GDBryan »

Phil Ferguson has great financial information and advice, though many will be turned off by his atheism and politics.

If that's the case, just listen to the first part.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I've never actually listened to a podcast, but I have been on one several times. My employer has a science-focused podcast. I hate hearing the sound of my voice, so I've never even listened to the episodes I'm on.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

10% Happier podcast- Dan Harris

Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast - Paul Gilmartin
jcpct

Post by jcpct »

I listen to financial podcasts every morning while on the treadmill. My favorites are Listen Money Matters, Jill on Money and Ric Edelman.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I can't believe nobody yet has mentioned the Bogleheads on Investing podcast.
:shock:
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

The Daily -- if I don't catch it live on NPR.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor »

In alphabetical order:

Bogleheads on investing
ChooseFI
Econtalk
MadFientist
Freakonomics Radio
How I Built This
The Indicator
Millionaires Unveiled
Planet Money
Revisionist History
Serial
Ted Radio Hour
This American Life
Wow in the World (science show with my young kids)
I blog here: https://www.frugalprofessor.com/
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Several financial podcasts not yet mentioned -

After Hours (from Harvard Business School)
Behind the Money with the Financial Times
Freakonomics
The Indicator from Planet Money
Marketplace with Kai Ryssdal
Money for the Rest of Us
Paul Merriman
The Planner and the Geek (Vanguard)
Vanguard: Investment Commentary
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

MeatEater - hunting
Dirtbag Diaries - general outdoor adventures
Mountain & Prairie - conservation, American West, decent book recommendations
2 Guys and a River - fly fishing
Anchored with April Vokey - fly fishing/outdoors
The Knowledge Project (just started listening after the recent Naval thread here on bogleheads)

Now and then I'll listen to Joe Rogan's podcast but only if I'm caught up on everything up above.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

In no particular order, new & catching up on older material:

Phillies podcast (4 different ones)
Bogleheads
Stacking Benjamins
Retire Secure
Investing Sense
Big Picture Retirement
Dave Ramsey (when I feel like getting yelled at about having credit cards or DIY investing)
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
apple44

Post by apple44 »

I don't listen to podcasts on financial topics. I tried the Bogleheads podcast but its focus is in investor phycology and I feel that I already knew most of it. I don't easily fall into the traps, I just need more money to save/invest, haha.

The podcasts that I listen to:
Wait Wait Don't Tell me (seen it live too! And been to Paula Poundstone's comedy show twice!)
This American Life (met Ira Glass at an event and talked for 10 minutes. His voice is not entirely like in the radio:)
Prairie Home Companion (see it live! So I'm extra disappointed when Garrison Keillor was not treating female employees with respect. I don't listen to it anymore after the host change).
Fresh Air (I love Terry Gross! and I so want to see her!)
Serial (Loved the first season, but the most recent season wasn't very interesting... just my opinion)
Pod Saves America
Planet Money
Radio Lab
Slow Burn (Oh so good! First season about the Watergate and second season about the Monica Lewinski scandal, can't wait for the third season!)
asif408

Post by asif408 »

Two I don't see mentioned here often finance related are Wu Zhijian's Evidentialist Channel and the i3 Investment Innovation Institute podcast. The latter has had some pretty interesting guests, and it is based out of Australia. The former sometimes had English speaking guests and other times foreign speaking guests (I think it is based out of Singapore), so not every episode is listenable unless you are bilingual. Wu did interview Bill Bernstein a while back and has had some other interesting guests.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Two excellent podcasts not mentioned so far:

The Moth (true stories told onstage)
Modern Love
birdog

Post by birdog »

The Jocko Podcast
The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast
Choose FI
Mad Fientist
The White Coat Investor
STR Ask
STR Weekly Audio

I've been thinking of checking out Joe Rogan as I've heard his is good.
changingtimes

Post by changingtimes »

I've gotten into a number of the podcasts from the Bill Simmons/Ringer empire.

The Rewatchables--Breaking down why movies they love remain great (and, oh my, they just posted this week's episode--Broadcast News, one of my favorites)
The Recappables--Was used for weekly True Detective breakdowns
The Bill Simmons Show
Channel 33 -- Media notes, etc.
The Big Picture -- Movies, etc.
The Watch
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Maven

Post by Maven »

Great lists above and I'll add 'The Drop Out'. The story of the rise and fall of Theranos.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

I’m a big fan of podcasts. Here are a few of my favorites:

- Econtalk (you’ve got 10 years of archived weekly shows to catch up on if this is new to you—but you can start anywhere)
- Conversations with Tyler (Tyler Cowen the economist)
- Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History
- Bogleheads on Investing
- The Knowledge Project with Shane Parrish (of the Farnam St blog)
- Plant money (occasionally)
- The Art of Manliness (depends on the guest)

*edited for clarity*
Last edited by ScubaHogg on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
Senti

Post by Senti »

Finance Related:
  • The Clark Howard Podcast - An overly nice person (opposite of Ramsay), and more aligned with boglehead way of investing.
  • Planet Money

Non Finance:
  • Revisionist History
  • The Rewatchables
daheld

Post by daheld »

apple44 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:16 pm I don't listen to podcasts on financial topics. I tried the Bogleheads podcast but its focus is in investor phycology and I feel that I already knew most of it. I don't easily fall into the traps, I just need more money to save/invest, haha.

The podcasts that I listen to:
Wait Wait Don't Tell me (seen it live too! And been to Paula Poundstone's comedy show twice!)
This American Life (met Ira Glass at an event and talked for 10 minutes. His voice is not entirely like in the radio:)
Prairie Home Companion (see it live! So I'm extra disappointed when Garrison Keillor was not treating female employees with respect. I don't listen to it anymore after the host change).
Fresh Air (I love Terry Gross! and I so want to see her!)
Serial (Loved the first season, but the most recent season wasn't very interesting... just my opinion)
Pod Saves America
Planet Money
Radio Lab
Slow Burn (Oh so good! First season about the Watergate and second season about the Monica Lewinski scandal, can't wait for the third season!)
Slow Burn is so, so great. If you haven't yet, definitely listen to "Bag Man".
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

Bloomberg sponsors a series of podcasts. Notable among them is Masters in Business, hosted by Barry Ridholtz.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Money Life with Chuck Jaffe
Paul Merriman
Meb Faber
Dough Roller
Boogleheads on Investing
Masters in Business Bloomberg Barry Ritholtz
Investing Insights from Morningstar

I try to stay caught up on all of these on a regular basis.
Housedoc

Re: Podcasts [Financial]

Post by Housedoc »

I listen to Clark Howard also, he talks me to sleep.
Have to replay at gym next morning as I miss half of it.
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

SmallCityDave wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:43 am Which podcasts are you listening to?

I've been listening to Dave Ramsey for a long time and recently Radical Personal Finance with Joshua Sheats.
I listen to a boat load of podcasts. Dave Ramsey has done a lot of good for many people, but I don't listen to him because he has too many conflicts of interest (advertisers), especially when it comes to investing. At times i listen to Joshua Sheats, depending on the topic, but I find his podcasts to be too long. These are the podcasts i listen to that you may like, assuming you are looking for podcasts about personal finance and investing. I rank these in order of what I like except toward the end of the list. I will warn you now that some of these podcasts may make you dumber and broker, because i believe that when it comes to investing, it is best to have a reasonable plan and stay the course.
1. The Clark Howard show. This is the nicest guy i have never met. Good sound advice and a bit of a cheapskate like myself. He speaks about a wide range of personal finance topics and has no conflict of interests and he truly cares about his listeners instead of himself.
2. Market Wrap with Moe Ansari. I listen to him first thing in the morning because he gives analysis of what happened the previous day. I love his insights and the guests he interviews, but keep in mind that he is a great salesman who wants your business. You have to ignore a third of his show, because he is trying to rattle your emotions of fear and greed to get you to give him a call so he can get your assets under his management.
3. The Doughroller by Rob Berger. Good sound advice with a library of podcasts that will make you smarter when it comes to investing.
4.Sound Investing by Paul Merriman. He is a boglehead member who is a retired wealth manager. He is a big believer in adding tilts to your portfolio to squeeze an extra 1 or 2 percent rate of return on your portfolio if you are a young investor. You don't have to follow his advice on tilting, but he has other great advice on investing topics. He truly finds great joy in young people succeeding in life.
5. Bogleheads on Investing by Rick Ferri. A new podcast and Rick does an excellent job of interviewing. The best part of this podcast is the stellar lineup of guests. Jack Bogle, Jonathan Clements, Christine Benz, Mike Piper, need i say more.
6. Money for the Rest of Us by J. David Stein. Has some really deep topics about how money works.
7. WSJ has a lot of short podcasts that are less than 10 minutes long that keep you up to date of what is happening in the news and business.
8. Planner and the Geek. A podcast of two people who are employed at Vanguard that discusses financial planning topics.
9. Choose FI by Jonathon and Brad. If FIRE is your goal, you will like this podcast.
10. The Whitecoat Investor by James Dahle. Another boglehead with a great podcast if you are a doctor or a high income earner. Im neither, but i do find value in his wisdom.
Other podcasts that you might want to check out are the Meb Faber show, Afford Anything, P & L, and the Mad Fientist.
Enganerd

Post by Enganerd »

Econ Related
- Conversations with Tyler
- Econtalk

Other
- Making Sense with Sam Harris (interesting conversations of depth)
- The Knowledge Project (more interesting content)
- Meat Eater - Steve Rinella (Hunting)
- The Drive-Peter Attia (health and longevity)
- Found my Fitness- Rhonda Patrick (also health and nutrition)
- STEM Talk - The Institute for Human & Machine Cognition (depending on the topic, I enjoy the content relating to human health)
- The After On - Rob Reid (depends on the topic but some interviews are great)

and of course JRE if it is an interesting guest
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

apple44 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:16 pm Wait Wait Don't Tell me (seen it live too! And been to Paula Poundstone's comedy show twice!)
+100 on this one. I have Carl Kassell's voice on my home answering machine. :D
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

I'll listen to Dave Ramsey on the way to work in the morning. His getting out of debt ideas are pretty good. However, the numbers he comes up with regarding mutual funds is really off. One of my biggest problems with his financial advice is that he does not take into account the loss of compounding interest as someone pays off their mortgage. I am all for having no mortgage but when someone loses 3-5 years of compounding interest in their savings accounts, it really adds up.
1year23

Post by 1year23 »

The Retirement Answer Man
It’s pretty basic but I usually learn a thing or two
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

1year23 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:31 pm The Retirement Answer Man
It’s pretty basic but I usually learn a thing or two
This is a great podcast for someone that is a year or two away from retirement.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

OU812 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:02 pm Money Life with Chuck Jaffe
Paul Merriman
Meb Faber
Dough Roller
Boogleheads on Investing

I also like Paul and Meb, but they both talk really slowly. I listen to them at 2x speed. Rick Ferri only needs 1.3x speed. Is there something about the finance industry that makes people talk slowly? :happy
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:07 pm
Paul Merriman
Meb Faber
Dough Roller
Boogleheads on Investing

I also like Paul and Meb, but they both talk really slowly. I listen to them at 2x speed. Rick Ferri only needs 1.3x speed. Is there something about the finance industry that makes people talk slowly? :happy
You are right about Paul, but i must confess i love hearing him talk at normal speed. He reminds me of a professor that I never had because i never went to college. :happy
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Paul Merriman
Meb Faber
Dough Roller
Boogleheads on Investing

Funny, I do that w/ a lot of youtube vids where people talk s......l.....o.....w....l.....y.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

I also enjoy Animal Spirits, with Michael Batnick and Ben Carlson (also from Ritholtz Wealth Management). it's fast paced, and not necessarily Boglehead-ish, but always entertaining. They end each episode with reviews of books, TV shows, and movies.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Deleted, duplicate post.
Last edited by sleepysurf on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I listen to:

Money for the Rest of Us
Paul Merriman
Ric Edelman occasionally
Dave Ramsey less occasionally

I stopped listening completely to
Radical Personal Finance

I don’t know if his podcasts have improved but my god some of the topics are so boring and he talks so slowly. 2 hours on buying phone cases and car chargers for a new cell phone? I think that’s when I quit.
patrocity

Post by patrocity »

Non financial-- Conan O'Brien needs a friend
Making Sense with Sam Harris
Hardcore History
More Perfect

I listen to a good chunk of the above mentioned, as well. Although the white coat investor is geared to physicians, there are a bunch of good podcasts for those with moderate to high income and the educational debt that comes with it.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

sleepysurf wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 am I also enjoy Animal Spirits, with Michael Batnick and Ben Carlson (also from Ritholtz Wealth Management). it's fast paced, and not necessarily Boglehead-ish, but always entertaining. They end each episode with reviews of books, TV shows, and movies.
I second Animal Spirits. Those guys are informative and funny. Best of all, they don't take themselves too seriously.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Freakonomics is great.
The Drive is about longevity and health is hosted by Dr.Peter Attia.He has some of the worls’s best physicians and researchers as guests and he himself is brilliant and a Superman.Besides being a John Hopkins trained surgeon,he is an engineer,marathon swimmer,race car driver just to name a few.He has dedicated his life to the study of longevity.I believe he practices medicine in NY but gave up the surgery long ago.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Paul Merriman
Meb Faber
Dough Roller
Boogleheads on Investing

Maybe they think most listeners are 'slow', so they need to talk slowly :)
I used to like Paul. I realized most of his podcasts can be distilled down to 'start young, invest in SCV'.
I highly recommend Dough Roller. The podcast got sold off IIRC, and has become lesser prolific over the past few months. You have to get used to lip smacking and lot of 'ummm' when you listen though :P
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

SmallCityDave wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:43 am Which podcasts are you listening to?

Ramsey is sometimes entertaining (when he goes on rants) :happy However, he does not give sound investment advise and often his generalizations are grossly incorrect.
I like Joshua Sheats as well. He comes across as someone who is well researched when he delivers his podcasts. Sometimes politics creep into his episodes, which I don't care much for.
I liked initial episodes of white coat investor: they all seemed like 'intermediate' and 'advanced' topics on his website. Lately, I think he has moved to more interviews and taking Q&A, which isn't as appealing to me.
Marketplace!
Animal Spirits
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The only money related podcasts I listen to are Planet Money, and occasionally Masters In Business, if he has an interesting guest. I don’t listen to anything about personal finance, and very little about investing. There are only about six topics in personal finance, and once you understand those topics, everything else is repetition.

I pick podcasts for their entertainment value, not their educational value. So Wait, Wait, Fresh Air, Every Little Thing, Reply All, Radio Lab, Invisibilia, Pod Save America. Pretty much the middle aged podcast listener’s top 40.

Also a couple in my native language.
RL1013

Post by RL1013 »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:50 pm There are only about six topics in personal finance, and once you understand those topics, everything else is repetition.
I am curious to know what they are.could you please elaborate?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

RL1013 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:42 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:50 pm There are only about six topics in personal finance, and once you understand those topics, everything else is repetition.
It's all here on Bogleheads:
I know I shouldn't time the market but...
Whether or not to pay off your mortgage
Larry Swedroe
Leverage
Which brokers are evil, and which brokers we like
Taxes
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:48 pm
Larry Swedroe
Leverage
Taxes
???????
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

MarketPlace (miss the weekend show that they used to do years ago).
KCRW's Left, Right and Center
KCRW has another show too, from the same group as LRC.
RL1013

Post by RL1013 »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:48 pm
Larry Swedroe
Leverage
Taxes
:?:
sabtastic

Post by sabtastic »

Bogleheads on Investing (thank you Rick)

The Peter Schiff Show :twisted:
Enganerd

Post by Enganerd »

Recently stumbled upon a new podcast (somewhat financial) that discusses fairness in modern U.S.by Michael Lewis: Against the rules. I really enjoy it and recommend it to others. Here's the description:

"Journalist and bestselling author Michael Lewis (Liar's Poker, Moneyball) takes a searing look at what’s happened to fairness—in financial markets, newsrooms, basketball games, courts of law, and much more. And he asks what’s happening to a world where everyone loves to hate the referee."

Another one, new to me but not new, is Philosophize This! Great podcast on philosophy, not directly related to finance.