MMM on pbs newshour

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Dottie57

MMM on pbs newshour

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:13 pm

At the end of the newshour there was a segment on FIRE and Mr Money Moustache. Interesting to see him in person.

For your viewing pleasure look for March 11 episode. It’s not posted until tomorrow.

http://pbs.org/newshour

cap396

Re: MMM on pbs newshour

Post by cap396 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Do you know if this is a replay of the same segment from a few months ago, or is this new?

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:32 pm

cap396 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:37 pm
Do you know if this is a replay of the same segment from a few months ago, or is this new?
Replay.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:56 am

Just watched it. Good stuff.

Beach

Post by Beach » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:46 am

HobbesMB

Post by HobbesMB » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:54 am

Obviously the interview predates his divorce. The impact of divorce on the finances of an early-retiree would be an interesting avenue for exploration. Many retirees (early or not) will experience this kind of significant disruption to their carefully-made plans.

For those that frequent his site does he spend any time discussing that aspect of his experience? I know he has a significant income from his blog that would blunt the financial impact, but his living expenses must certainly be changing as a result.

harvestbook

Post by harvestbook » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:52 am

He wrote a post about his divorce.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2018/12/31/divorce/

What I find interesting is that no way in his ten-year plan when he first retired would he plan for or predict being both wealthy and divorced. That's why I look at plans as only plans, a basic philosophy, and that few people ever end up where they think they will be in ten years. If conditions change, my plan will change. Note: His original plan would have "worked," but it looks waaaay different now.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.

Beach

Post by Beach » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 pm

HobbesMB wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:54 am
Obviously the interview predates his divorce. The impact of divorce on the finances of an early-retiree would be an interesting avenue for exploration. Many retirees (early or not) will experience this kind of significant disruption to their carefully-made plans.

For those that frequent his site does he spend any time discussing that aspect of his experience? I know he has a significant income from his blog that would blunt the financial impact, but his living expenses must certainly be changing as a result.
Not so sure about that....he made no mention of his wife or showed any pics of her (but lots with his kids). His website has done EXTREMELY well and he is pulling in multiple hundreds of thousands per year. How do you think he affords his little swanky MMM business headquarters where they are all singing kumbaya?

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:16 pm

My opinion of him remains the same:
Still a False Profit (Claims to live frugally although makes boat-loads of money - easily got divorced and simply went out and bought 2nd home mortgage free - etc.; claims to be retired although makes money working blog/speaking-gigs/etc. Even before he started making money after the blog picked up he wasn't really retired - doing construction work, etc.).
Last edited by GoldStar on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 pm

I removed a number of off-topic posts conjecturing if Mr. Money Mustache (MMM) was sexist. The discussion is derailed. This thread has run its course and is locked.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.