IRMAA Appeal

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
LSLover

IRMAA Appeal

Post by LSLover » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:21 pm

I will be simultaneously retiring and applying for Medicare in early 2020. My MAGI for 2018 exceeds a couple of thresholds for IRMAA and obviously my initial Social Security determination will reflect that, I.e. my Medicare premiums will be surcharged.

Upon receipt of the notification from SS in early 2020 I will request a new initial determination as I will have experienced a qualified life-changing event (work stoppage) that caused my 2020 income to decrease.

However, because it will be early in the year, I will have to estimate my MAGI for 2020 which will likely be very close to the lowest IRMAA threshold of $170K for MFJ due to investment income. It may turn out lower or higher than the $170K as I obviously can’t accurately predict my dividend and capital gains distributions which will be the critical factor in my 2020 income.

QUESTION: If I underestimate my 2020 MAGI while filing the appeal (Form SSA-44?), and end up exceeding the $170K, what are the consequences?
Last edited by LSLover on Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nowizard

Re: IRMAA Appeal

Post by Nowizard » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:45 pm

If your experience is like ours, filing for life changing experience will not result in an answer, much less a change until the next year.

Tim

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:57 pm

Unlike Tim's experience, we filed IRMAA appeals a couple weeks after we received the IRMAA supplement notice in Nov 2017. IIRC we heard back within 2-4 weeks, and the appeal was approved before the end of 2017 and our SS deduction for Medicare was amended to remove the IRMAA supplement.

We then submitted an updated projection once we filed our tax return 1Q18 for TY2017.

If your are uncertain, then simply file the appeal at the lower MAGI estimate. If you later find that you exceed the lower limit, you'll be charged the first tier supplement retroactively to the first of the year.

Two comments. First, since you are MFJ be sure you each submit a ssa-44 form. You can attach a single sheet with supplemental information in support of each appeal, and bundle them in the same envelop. Second, the IRMAA threshold for 2020 is likely to be a bit higher than $170k; likely $173-174k.

viewtopic.php?t=262684

Topic Author
LSLover

Post by LSLover » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:03 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:57 pm

Two comments. First, since you are MFJ be sure you each submit a ssa-44 form. You can attach a single sheet with supplemental information in support of each appeal, and bundle them in the same envelop. Second, the IRMAA threshold for 2020 is likely to be a bit higher than $170k; likely $173-174k.

viewtopic.php?t=262684
Are you saying that I need to submit two SSA-44 (one for each spouse) even though only one spouse is on Medicare?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:07 pm

LSLover wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:03 pm
neilpilot wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=262684
Are you saying that I need to submit two SSA-44 (one for each spouse) even though only one spouse is on Medicare?
I am not. I missed mention in your original post that you are the sole Medicare recipient. I guess I read into the fact that you quoted the MFJ IRMAA limit.

Topic Author
LSLover

Post by LSLover » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:15 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Unlike Tim's experience, we filed IRMAA appeals a couple weeks after we received the IRMAA supplement notice in Nov 2017. IIRC we heard back within 2-4 weeks, and the appeal was approved before the end of 2017 and our SS deduction for Medicare was amended to remove the IRMAA supplement.

We then submitted an updated projection once we filed our tax return 1Q18 for TY2017.

If your are uncertain, then simply file the appeal at the lower MAGI estimate. If you later find that you exceed the lower limit, you'll be charged the first tier supplement retroactively to the first of the year.

viewtopic.php?t=262684
When it comes to 2021 premiums, do they look at 2019 even though I told them in the appeal that I stopped working in early 2020? Or they see that I stopped working in 2020 and do not apply the surcharge?

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:15 pm

LSLover wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:15 pm
neilpilot wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=262684
When it comes to 2021 premiums, do they look at 2019 even though I told them in the appeal that I stopped working in early 2020? Or they see that I stopped working in 2020 and do not apply the surcharge?
Yes. They did a second determination the next year and I had to appeal again. Both times the appeal went through with no hassle. (And all I had to show that I had retired was a pasteboard plaque thanking me for my years of service at the company.)

Topic Author
LSLover

Post by LSLover » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 pm

GerryL wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:15 pm
LSLover wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:15 pm
neilpilot wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=262684
Yes. They did a second determination the next year and I had to appeal again. Both times the appeal went through with no hassle. (And all I had to show that I had retired was a pasteboard plaque thanking me for my years of service at the company.)
Both appeals required filing Form SSA-44? And both times you showed the same plaque?

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:53 pm

LSLover wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 pm
GerryL wrote:

Both appeals required filing Form SSA-44? And both times you showed the same plaque?
Yes. I did it in person both times. The first time the guy just looked at the plaque and filled out the SSA-44. The second time the rep took the plaque and made a photo copy before filling out the SSA-44 -- and seemed put out that I had not filled out the form myself.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:48 pm

I also have an IRMAA situation. My tax guy misplaced a decimal point and I ended up with a huge tax exempt interest. That went unnoticed since it didn't affect the bottom line taxes. Unfortunately, It still counts as income for the IRMAA calculation.

I called the SSA local office and was told I should file their form SSA-561-U2 "Request for Reconsideration." I should, of course, also file the amended and corrected 1040x with the IRS. They said the IRS would automatically update the info they file with the SSA but without the SSA-561-U2 the SSA would not have reason to look at, and act on, that new info. There was no mention of a form SSA-44. Perhaps because I am correcting a mistake and not claiming a life-changing event.

This was quite recent so I have not yet heard back.

Good luck to us both!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:55 pm

GerryL wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:53 pm
LSLover wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 pm
GerryL wrote:

Yes. I did it in person both times. The first time the guy just looked at the plaque and filled out the SSA-44. The second time the rep took the plaque and made a photo copy before filling out the SSA-44 -- and seemed put out that I had not filled out the form myself.
We had the same thing. The second time we just dug up the paperwork from the prior year and filed the appeal by mail. No issue with either appeal.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:58 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:48 pm
I also have an IRMAA situation. My tax guy misplaced a decimal point and I ended up with a huge tax exempt interest. That went unnoticed since it didn't affect the bottom line taxes. Unfortunately, It still counts as income for the IRMAA calculation.

I called the SSA local office and was told I should file their form SSA-561-U2 "Request for Reconsideration." I should, of course, also file the amended and corrected 1040x with the IRS. They said the IRS would automatically update the info they file with the SSA but without the SSA-561-U2 the SSA would not have reason to look at, and act on, that new info. There was no mention of a form SSA-44. Perhaps because I am correcting a mistake and not claiming a life-changing event.

This was quite recent so I have not yet heard back.

Good luck to us both!
Just got a call from local SSA lady who is inputting updated info from my 1040X. (Apparently the IRS just got around to processing it.) She says expect a new letter from SSA removing IRMAA and also a refund for what I have already paid.

Looking good!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Texconsin

Post by Texconsin » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:00 pm

I was dreading my appeal. My IRMAA was based on my highest earning year EVER (2017), putting me in the second-highest bracket, but I retired in April, three days before turning 65. I got a letter from my HR department, copied my last pay voucher, created a detailed Excel spreadsheet of my AGI (same as MAGI for me) and completed the SS-44. After about an hour wait at the SSA office, I was called to a window and explained my situation. I showed the Excel spreadsheet (mentioning that I'm a CPA) and started to pull out my pay voucher, but all he really needed was the SS-44 and employer letter. He punched my 2019 income projection into his computer and then asked if he could ask me a question that he always gets from people about whether Social Security benefits increase the MAGI. I explained only to the extent they are taxable, up to 85% of the benefit based on other income and that the non-taxable portion of the benefits did not. He made copies, gave back the originals, stamped and dated them for my records and said that's all he needed. I asked if I now had to wait for a decision and he said "no," that the IRMAA adjustment was already changed (which, for me, now none at all) and that I'll get a new determination letter in a week or so. I let him know that I'd let my retired ex-SSA employee brother and his retired ex-SSA employee girlfriend know that he did a great job...and then we chatted about HIS upcoming retirement (in whispers - not for another year when he's got 25 years in). One last thing he mentioned: although my SS-44 included an even lower projection for 2020, my 2018 AGI will trigger a new IRMAA and I'll have to return to have that adjusted. Hopefully, I'll get HIS window again!

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Texconsin wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:00 pm
I was dreading my appeal. My IRMAA was based on my highest earning year EVER (2017), putting me in the second-highest bracket, but I retired in April, three days before turning 65. I got a letter from my HR department, copied my last pay voucher, created a detailed Excel spreadsheet of my AGI (same as MAGI for me) and completed the SS-44. After about an hour wait at the SSA office, I was called to a window and explained my situation. I showed the Excel spreadsheet (mentioning that I'm a CPA) and started to pull out my pay voucher, but all he really needed was the SS-44 and employer letter. He punched my 2019 income projection into his computer and then asked if he could ask me a question that he always gets from people about whether Social Security benefits increase the MAGI. I explained only to the extent they are taxable, up to 85% of the benefit based on other income and that the non-taxable portion of the benefits did not. He made copies, gave back the originals, stamped and dated them for my records and said that's all he needed. I asked if I now had to wait for a decision and he said "no," that the IRMAA adjustment was already changed (which, for me, now none at all) and that I'll get a new determination letter in a week or so. I let him know that I'd let my retired ex-SSA employee brother and his retired ex-SSA employee girlfriend know that he did a great job...and then we chatted about HIS upcoming retirement (in whispers - not for another year when he's got 25 years in). One last thing he mentioned: although my SS-44 included an even lower projection for 2020, my 2018 AGI will trigger a new IRMAA and I'll have to return to have that adjusted. Hopefully, I'll get HIS window again!
Sounds like you had a good experience.

But in case others think you need to schedule a visit, my IRMAA appeal was done by USPS. I completed 2 SS-44s (one for me & one for my DW), included an attachment with our current & projected MAGI, and photocopied my employers letter indicated end of employment. Placed it all in a first class letter addressed to my local SS office. I figured I would need to provide another appeal for the following year, since my income exceeded IRMAA right up until I retired, but apparently the MAGI projections in the initial appeal worked for both years.

In a week, I received a call to confirm the documents were correct, and our appeals were approved. No need to visit SS in person.

Retiredron

Post by Retiredron » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:57 am

I just had a great experience with my local SS local. They walked me through the appeal process and my appeal was approved in less than 2 weeks. The rep also called me to tell me my appeal was approved before I received the official letter in the mail.

He explained that if my actual 2019 MAGI exceeded the estimate I included on the SSAA-44 (exceeded the 170K level) Medicare would just bill me in 2020 for the premium that I should have paid. Thus, do your best on the MAGI estimate but don't worry too much about perfection there. I consult part time so it's really hard to have a close MAGI estimate.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:00 am

We had a difficult IRMAA appeal process, but it turned out OK.

When we applied for Medicare, but not Social Security, we were placed in the highest IRMAA bracket due to previous several years earnings. The local rural SS Office received our IRMAA appeal, along with all required documentation. We paid the increased amount for 4 months with no decision. Spoke to the SS main office and they could not find any evidence of our appeal.

I went back to the original SS Office where I filed the appeal, and they couldn’t find any documentation. The agent actually commented that they haven’t processed many of these appeals and really didn’t know how! I refiled again, then visited with a SHIP counselor who intervened on our behalf with a larger urban SS Office.

After filing AGAIN with the larger office, we were granted the appeal in one week. The extra IRMAA premiums were refunded next month...In retirement, our income places us under the IRMAA threshold.

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Am I correct that IRMAA is not all or none but instead has a number of stages of higher and higher surcharges added to one's Medicare bill?
Is the first stage all that bad?

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:15 pm

Texconsin wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:00 pm
I was dreading my appeal. My IRMAA was based on my highest earning year EVER (2017), putting me in the second-highest bracket, but I retired in April, three days before turning 65. I got a letter from my HR department, copied my last pay voucher, created a detailed Excel spreadsheet of my AGI (same as MAGI for me) and completed the SS-44. After about an hour wait at the SSA office, I was called to a window and explained my situation. I showed the Excel spreadsheet (mentioning that I'm a CPA) and started to pull out my pay voucher, but all he really needed was the SS-44 and employer letter.
Exactly. You coulda saved a trip and an hour wait by just completing the form, making a copy of your employer letter, and putting a stamp on an envelope. The form clearly states what the appeal exceptions are, and if you qualify for one of those, approval is almost automatic. For something this simple, mail service works great. If they have a question, they'll call.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:16 pm

Wakefield1 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm
Am I correct that IRMAA is not all or none but instead has a number of stages of higher and higher surcharges added to one's Medicare bill?
Is the first stage all that bad?
Table with income breaks is on p5:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10536.pdf

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:05 pm

I had an annoying IRMAA appeal process. I went in to the SS office 60 days prior, and filed for Medicare only, not SS. I filed the appeal at that time based on an age 65 retirement. No problem.

A couple of months later I went in with my wife when she filed for Medicare 60 days prior to her 65th birthday, and she also filed an IRMAA appeal. This time a different clerk said that there was no evidence that I had retired. They wanted proof that I was retired. Now, it is relatively easy to prove that you are working, but fairly hard to prove that you are not working. I did not have any paperwork from my employer saying that I was retired, since the previous clerk from when I filed did not want anything. We ended up on different Medicare IRMAA tiers for the rest of the year, and did not get things actually straightened out till she filed for spousal SS at age 66.

Ralph

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:54 pm

Summit111 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:00 am
We had a difficult IRMAA appeal process, but it turned out OK.

When we applied for Medicare, but not Social Security, we were placed in the highest IRMAA bracket due to previous several years earnings. The local rural SS Office received our IRMAA appeal, along with all required documentation. We paid the increased amount for 4 months with no decision. Spoke to the SS main office and they could not find any evidence of our appeal.

I went back to the original SS Office where I filed the appeal, and they couldn’t find any documentation. The agent actually commented that they haven’t processed many of these appeals and really didn’t know how! I refiled again, then visited with a SHIP counselor who intervened on our behalf with a larger urban SS Office.

After filing AGAIN with the larger office, we were granted the appeal in one week. The extra IRMAA premiums were refunded next month...In retirement, our income places us under the IRMAA threshold.

Summit
Fair warning: ALWAYS. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. Make sure you have a copy of any forms that are filed with SS. If you do the application in the office, ask for them to make you a copy, ideally after they have signed or stamped it or whatever. If you file from home -- paper or online -- save a copy. You never know when you might need to prove that you did indeed file.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:26 pm

I actually showed a copy of my original IRMAA appeal application to the agent that received it. He sheepishly stated he didn’t remember receiving it. They didn’t offer some sort of receipt when I originally received it, but I had a copy of the agents name and ID number along with the date.

That’s when I knew the extent of employee incompetence in this case and ratcheted up the process thru a SHIP counselor and another larger SSA office.

Many folks applying for Medicare are not aware of the means based IRMAA rules....
Don’t give up....

Summit

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:24 pm

So, as expected, I just got our IRMAA determination for 2020.

My mom's estate was settled in 2019 and resulted our having MAGI over the allowed income; I retired in Dec 2018; DH retired March 2019.

Should I simply file a paper appeal with the applicable documentation? It seems that the fact that we retired might get us pretty quick approval.

Or should I trek in to the SS office?
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Trek to the SSA office with your appeal and documentation in hand...it can’t fe filed on line....

Keep copies and names of all agents you deal with...

Summit

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:05 pm

when my wife appealed she did it in a telephone appointment. They took her information and gave her an approval during this one and only phone call.

I had previously successfully appealed through the mail so I knew the information she would need to provide in her phone appointment.

In our locationl in office SS visits can result in 3 hour wait times and the office is unpleasant so to the extent possible we do things online or through phone appointments

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:57 pm

Wow...wish my local SSA office could have accommodated me by phone...The office insisted a written appeal handed in person...

Summit

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:21 am

I took my SSA-44, a copy of our taxes and a copy of our 11/2018 marriage certificate to the tiny local SSA office near the airport and walked by everyone in the packed waiting room and dropped it all in the big box after writing my name and address on one of the mailing envelopes they had stacked on the box. There wasn't a pen, but I borrowed one from the bored security guard.

They processed it in a week or so and had the IRMAA refunds in my checking account before I received the mailed approval notice.

You would have to live in Richmond VA to understand that you do not want to give anything important to the Post Office. I'm surprised they don't charge storage fees for some of the stuff they've held up for a week or two. Or lost.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:40 am

Summit111 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:05 pm
Trek to the SSA office with your appeal and documentation in hand...it can’t fe filed on line....

Summit
But it can be files via the USPS. I mailed our appeal in a few years ago, and it was approved in a couple of weeks. I never had to visit the local SS office, and I don't recall even having to talk to the SSA about the appeal except to receive a call that the appeal was approved. See my earlier post above.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:50 am

Summit111 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:57 pm
Wow...wish my local SSA office could have accommodated me by phone...The office insisted a written appeal handed in person...

Summit
Her phone appointment was not with our local office, If I remember correctly she contacted them via a phone number provided on the IRMAA notification she received or perhaps on the back of her medicare card. They tried to steer her to our local office but after she explained about her past experience with that office they granted her a telephone appointment. She had to swear to certain things on the phone call which became an affidavit as they completed her forms electronically . The phone call took approximate 30 minutes and they approved her appeal during the call.

Rather than waiting for an available staff person they gave her the option of calling her back. She went with that option and the wait time provided for her return call was very accurate. We were both very impressed with the outstanding service they provided.

pahkcah

Post by pahkcah » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:42 am

The company I worked for was sold in 2017, which resulted in a payout to all of the employees. Last year I filed a reduction request for 2019. That request was filed in person after waiting for about 40 minutes (did not have an appointment) at the nearest SS office, as I wanted to make sure that the SSA-44 form was filled-in properly. The SS employee filled out the form for me and just asked me to sign it. She then stamped the document. I asked her if it would be sent up the chain for a decision but she told me, “I just approved it, you’re done.” Received a letter from SS after two weeks indicating the request had been approved.

Two weeks ago, my DW and I visited the local SS office and submitted SSA-44 forms to request IRMAA reductions for 2020. These requests were based on the fact that I retired in 2018, and our income for 2020 will be a good deal less than in 2018. As my DW’s Medicare coverage will include one month of 2019, she needed to submit waivers for 2019 and 2020. We were not sure whether she would need to file two forms or just one. The SS employee we met with said it just required one form, which she helped my DW fill out. We were told that the forms would be forwarded for a decision.

I have visited SS offices a total of four times in the past two years with SS and Medicare issues, including one occasion with an appointment. Just wanted to say that the support provided by every SS employee encountered has been exceptional.

pahkcah

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:17 pm

LSLover wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:03 pm
neilpilot wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=262684
I appealed online on 11/25/2019, the day after I received the letter from SSA which says I could appeal their IRMAA assumption by filing some forms on this website: www.ssa.gov/non-medical/appeal. I'm waiting to hear back from SSA.

TravelforFun

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:18 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:40 am
Summit111 wrote:

Summit
But it can be files via the USPS. I mailed our appeal in a few years ago, and it was approved in a couple of weeks. I never had to visit the local SS office, and I don't recall even having to talk to the SSA about the appeal except to receive a call that the appeal was approved. See my earlier post above.
Exactly. I just filled in the SSA-44 online, printed if off, made a copy of my termination letter from HR, and mailed them all in. Received the approval by mail in about 3 weeks.

Note, there is some official lingo here to be aware of. The SSA-44 is an 'Initial Determination' which cannot be filed. An Appeal of the Initial Determination, i.e., you don't agree with their Initial decision, is different as it can be filed online.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:20 pm

Summit111 wrote:

Summit
It can't?

I appealed online on 11/25/2019, the day after I received the letter from SSA which says I could appeal their IRMAA assumption by filing some forms on this website: www.ssa.gov/non-medical/appeal. The website allowed me to attach the letter from my former employer. I'm waiting to hear back from SSA.

TravelforFun

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Happy for you guys that were able appeal the IRMAA decision online... I was dealing with a local, rural Social Security office, and they would not accept the IRMAA appeal except in person.... In fact, they told me that they really didn’t know how to do because they rarely see one coming through. After consulting with a Ship Counselor, I went to a larger urban office, submitted copies of the same paperwork I had submitted at the rural office, and was approved within the week.

As several of the bogleheads say, your mileage may vary....

Summit

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:21 am

TravelforFun wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:20 pm
Summit111 wrote:

Summit
It can't?

I appealed online on 11/25/2019, the day after I received the letter from SSA which says I could appeal their IRMAA assumption by filing some forms on this website: www.ssa.gov/non-medical/appeal. The website allowed me to attach the letter from my former employer. I'm waiting to hear back from SSA.

TravelforFun
Update: I tried this method of appeal online and got back a response from SSA telling me that I had to file the SS-44. I chose to into my local SS office (I like the people watching aspect) and saw an agent who referred me to their IRMAA specialist. I was out with the application approved in just under 2 hours, all told.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:41 am

Similar situation. Laid off March 2018, husband started Medicare in May, me in Dec of 2018. We took IRMMA forms and Company letter to SS office in Nov 2018, all good. Now have received IRMMA notification for 2020. Very high due to 2017 income. My 2018 MAGI is higher than I projected due to additional benefits from the layoff and puts us in higher IRMMA also. We will appeal, but I am now seeing from these comments we might have to pay IRMMA due to the higher 2018. I have made sure we are under the threshold for 2019 MAGI. I did file my appeal online this week, but might do what is suggested and take both DH and my forms to the SS office. We had tried since Oct to get an appointment to start drawing his SS and my Spousal as I turn 66 end of the year, but a rep called us back and we filed over the phone (the day before I got the emailed IRMMA letter) Thank you for this post and comments.

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm told that there is a way to make an appointment for a specific time at your local SS office, but it seems to involve being on hold for a long time to make an appointment. I find it easier to show up early in the morning with a good book.

pahkcah

Post by pahkcah » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:51 pm

To set up an appointment, unless things have changed, there is an option to have SS call you back instead of waiting on hold for a long period of time. The SS person who called me said that they were only making appointments up to 60 days out, and that there were no appointments available at the “local office”. Since I lived in a large urban area at the time, I asked if there were any other SS offices in the area that might have an available appointment time. Turns out there was an opening at another SS office, and it was actually closer than my local office. (SS was basing my local office on the county in which DW and I lived. Our house was on the edge of the line between our county and the next one over.)

Lessons learned are that there is no need to stay on hold, and that you can set up an appointment at an SS office that is not your local one, assuming there are other SS offices within a reasonable drive of where you live.

Good Luck to All!

pahcah